I Looked Away

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jul 2019

A good read.  Interesting if not a little confusing at times.   There could have been more impact to it, and more time given to the real homeless woman - more exploration of her character and how she had ended up where she did.   But all in all, a good read, that kept you focused.
An edgy thriller, told from seemingly unconnected people’s views.
Ellie, is 49, a loving grandmother who looks after her grandson Josh but is sometimes terrified that she’ll do something wrong. She has an upsetting past and one that she has tried to hide from everyone including her emotionally abusive husband Roger.
Jo is a homeless woman who is always looking over her shoulder, she is scared that her past will catch up with her but why does she need to hide?
Eventually these two woman’s paths collide and all becomes clear.
A well constructed and told story with plenty of little twists before we discover who is telling the truth.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. It was well researched, well written and I didn’t want to put it down.
The way this story was told was really clever and it was an enjoyable read. I felt sympathy for both Ellie & Jo and their experiences.
When you start reading a book and then can't stop thinking about it when you put it down, you know it's a good book. I looked away starts with Ellie being in prison, but we don't know why. The book tells the story of Ellie's life as a child, then an adult, a parent and now a grandparent. We also follow the life of Jo, a homeless lady trying to survive on the streets.
Ellie's life hasn't been easy and whilst it might appear that she has everything on the surface, we learn that there is so much more to discover.
I almost couldn't put the book down. It was a very easy read and highly recommended.
A complex story, a parable for our time built around dissociative PTSD, a dissociative fugue that affects Ellie with devastating consequences. Married to a philandering husband, Ellie devotes her time looking after her grandson, Josh. Until that fateful moment when Ellie was distracted....

What follows is a beautifully composed tale of how tragic events can impact on mental well-being. What happens to Ellie? Who is Jo? The two characters around who the plot is built. At times it's exasperating, time lines blurred. What happened when? At times I Looked Away is not an easy read but it deserves our attention as Jane Corry has exposed much of the brutality of homelessness and the despair that most often results. Many people end up on the streets because of mental health issues and Jane highlights how easily people can become homeless.

I would urge anyone who is concerned about homelessness and PTSD to read this hard-hitting story. My thanks to Penguin and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC.
Omg what can I say it was fabulous couldn’t put it down the characters were amazing the story line had you hooked from the first page to the last, I read it so fast I feel bereft now as I looked forward to every day so I could start reading again.  I have a different insight  on homelessness now and if I can help someone I will and think about what they’re going through.  I so reommend this and can’t wait to read more of her books.
This is a well written and cleverly conceived story but it is also challenging to read. The contrast between Ellie and Jo takes time to get used to and the mystery of their pasts takes time to be revealed. It is a book to dwell on rather than race through to an exciting climax!
This book was riviting. We meet Ellie who is in prison but we don't know why. The book then goes on to tell if her life story from a young girl to bring a married mother of 2 with a grandchild, unfortunately her husband Roger has a roving eye and h as many affairs throughout the marriage. She has a horrific childhood 'Cinderellaish' and a devastating accident occurs which causes her to have a breakdown. The story flips b between her and another woman called Jo who is homeless and keeps moving from place to place, you are not sure how this fits into the story until the twists start coming towards the end.
Thank you netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this in exchange for a true and honest review.  To Jane I would love to know what happens next with Ellie and her daughter and also does the relationship between her and Steve develop into anything, how old is Josh when they tell him what s happened and what's his reaction? I would recommend this book to my friends and family as i think it's one they woul d really enjoy.
I’m still not sure what I thought to this book - even after finishing it.  It was definitely thought provoking, I am still thinking about it now - nearly a week after reading - but it took me a long time to get into the book because it flipped between people and timelines.  I couldn’t understand where Jo came in and actually twice went right back to the beginning of the book to see if I had missed something but it was just a long time until it got pulled together. When it did it was clever.   I think if you are not easily confused by characters switching then you will love this book.  I can’t honestly say I loved it but it was clever and different.
This was a fast easy read. Really enjoyed it. Knew there was a twist coming but not what it was. I understood from an early place the different characters was the one.
Wow, just wow!

I was absolutely blown away by this book. I did not want to put it down. The suspense, drama and intrigue levels left me guessing all the way to the end. Everyone must read this.
As the story  unfolds, this book is if anything a lesson in humility, a lesson just to pause and consider why people are where they are and how they are before judging them.  Beautifully and believably written with turns in the telling that you don't foresee, this is fiction that even so reads like it could so easily be based on real-life characters..
Thank you for my ARC Netgalley! I enjoyed this book, I’m a big fan of previous books by Jane, so this wasn’t unexpected!! :) even though I kind of figured out the ‘main storyline’ fairly early on, it was still an incredibly insightful view into homelessness in the UK as well as the effects that PTSD can have on a person. I found it really relatable, in parts I found myself nodding, since I come from a step family. (However I did not experience this level of trauma!!) Great read, polished it off in under 2 days!
First book that I have read by Jane and I'm certainly looking to read more! Gripped from first line, highly intense, a must read
We are introduced to Ellie when she is in prison although at this stage we do not know why.  We learn that she has been married to Roger for 28 years and that he has had numerous affairs and that they have been to marriage counselling.  They have 2 children and one grandson, Josh who is the light of Ellie’s life and she loves to look after him.  One day she takes her eyes off of him for a second with terrible consequences.

Jo is a homeless woman, she has had a hard life and is now selling The Big Issue to help her get by.

The plot develops between Jo and Ellie and is a revealing study of the consequences of mental health, homelessness and the long-lasting effects of  those in the margins.

Brilliant and powerful.

Thank you to the author, publishers and NetGalley for providing an ARC via my Kindle in return for an honest review.
I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I started reading this book, but I was quickly hooked, and it became so much more than what the blurb suggested. I liked the fact that Ellie was a grandmother, hearing about her past and childhood was really interesting – it made a change from reading thrillers where the protagonists are young men/women in their twenties. I found the relationship between Ellie and her grandson really wonderful, and the relationship with her baby brother, Michael. I don’t want to say too much about the story as I don’t want to give anything away, but I spent a lot of it trying to piece things together, trying to understand the chain of events. It is very well written, and it gave me a lot to think about. The authors note at the end was really interesting, particularly the references to her research.
I loved this fast action thriller. I found the plot very relatable and loved the way the story unfolded. An excellent finish also. Highly recommended.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Jane Corry for the copy of this book. I agreed to give my unbiased opinion voluntarily.
I have to say I’ve read the Killing Type by Jane Cory, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I could not wait to start this book!!

We first meet Ellie in prison, we do not know why she is there.

Ellie has been married to Roger for 28 years and they have recently gone through marriage counselling as he has had numerous affairs. They have 2 grown up children Amy and Luke and She lives for the days when she looks after her grandson Josh. One day whilst looking after Josh she takes her eyes of him for a moment which causes disastrous consequences for all the family.

Jo is a homeless woman who has had a hard life and is selling The Big Issue to get by.

The story is told through the eyes of Jo and Ellie, there is a connection between the 2 of them but you will have to read this book to find out what!!

This is an emotional story that will capture you’re heart, it touches on mental health, loss, despair and makes you think about the difficulties travellers and homeless people have. I was touched by the kindness of people out there who gave when they didn’t have much themselves whilst other walked on by!!

A must read book that I couldn’t put down. Definitely not one to miss out on.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
This truly was an amazing story, I couldn't put it down and it seemed so real. I was in pieces by the end. It is amazing how the traumas of life can effect our subconscious and completely alter our persona. Great storylines with hidden connections and a lovely conclusion..