Cover Image: Naturally Tan

Naturally Tan

I loved Tan France before I read his book but my goodness do I LOVE him now! It was great to get an insight into his upbringing and background and how he became the fabulous human he is now. Hilarious, touching and raw.
I am a big fan of Queer Eye and enjoyed reading Tan's memoir. It was certainly interesting to hear more about him, both in terms of his upbringing but also how he'd forged his career. Unlike other memoirs I never really quite felt the book found Tan's voice. I enjoyed the book but I had hoped for more.
I LOVE Tan! This book was refreshing, honest and funny as hell. I want him to be my new best friend... and fix my closet.
This was a very interesting insight into a different culture, different way of life and different social status. There are no brakes and no steering on the stories and the relaxed structure makes you feel as if you are having an (albeit one sided) conversation with a most intriguing individual.
I’m not a big viewer of Queer Eye, but this is an interesting memoir of growing up gay and south Asian in northern England and then finding career success and happiness in his personal life too. I didn’t love the writing style always - but I think it would work really well as an audiobook because of the chatty style. Lots of exclamation marks! Lots of talking directly to the reader! And if you’re a big fan of the programme, obviously it’s probably a must read!
Love Tan and loved his book! Highly recommend for an engrossing fun and lighthearted read where Tan's witty personality shines through.
Funny short and easily relatable it was a fun read that I ran through. My only criticism would be the américanised vocal but I loved the little drawings. Worth a good read
I love Tan so much and his book is fantastic, what you would expect from him! I did feel like some chapters felt a little braggy but when he's talking about his rise to fame and becoming a star, it makes sense. I loved how he kept it light and funny but also got serious and deep into his childhood and issues around race. I really enjoyed this one.
Naturally Tan is the memoir of fashion designer and Queer Eye star, Tan France. Each chapter in Naturally Tan is aptly themed around a clothing item or fashion accessory which becomes the focal point of each memory or stage in Tan’s life. What’s more, in true Tan France style, there are fashion tips and tricks throughout the book.

Yorkshire born and from a Pakistani family, Tan begins his biography with memories from his childhood, growing up in Doncaster. Tan writes about the traditions of his South Asian heritage as well as the ways in which he strayed from these traditions as a child. Although Tan states that he never had a ‘lightbulb’ moment in which he realised he was gay, he does have memories of being told his behaviour was ‘feminine’. As well as writing from viewpoint of growing up gay in the South Asian community, Tan also tackles the racism he and his siblings faced growing up including tales of bullying and racial attacks on their way home from school.

The rest of the book thereafter is told in a sort of chronological order, from his first job, his first fashion brand, and his move to America to his eventual appointment as Queer Eye’s Fashion Expert. France is open and honest about the downfalls in his life including; jumping from job to job, the stress of running his own fashion brand and how he felt at times trying to juggle several projects at once.

In juxtaposition to these lower points in Tan France’s life, however, are heart-warming tales of his friendships with his UK friends, the meeting and subsequent marriage to his now-husband Rob France, and, of course, his rise to fame in the rebooted series of Queer Eye.

In Naturally Tan, France writes about how he came to be a star in the Emmy award-winning series, Queer Eye. His reveals his initial hesitancy around the project and his phone interview in a hotel abroad, before talking about how the auditions were held. Finally, Tan France writes about meeting Jonathan, Antoni, Bobby and Karamo and the friendship that blossomed between the ‘Fab Five’ before they were even officially selected for the show. Again, Tan France writes about the highs and lows of being on such a well-known show. From the negatives of being recognised everywhere he goes and being away from home on press tours a lot to the positives of changing people’s lives and the continued friendship with his co-stars there is very little about his role on the show that Tan France doesn’t discuss in this book.

Naturally Tan is the perfect book for fans of Queer Eye and Tan France’s fashion stylings in the programme. What’s more, as a gay, South Asian man, Tan France’s life fills a gap in a still under-represented group in the media and his rise to fame will hopefully show other young people like him that they do belong.
This book is a combination of Tans story to date mixed with fashion advice.

I was really excited about this book, because I love the show and find Tan really interesting.  Unfortunately the format of this book really let it down.  Had it stuck with being solely autobiographical or solely about fashion, it would have been infinitely better.  Trying to meld the two really didn’t work for me.  The book didn’t give enough of either to do them justice.

There were periods of the book where I felt it could have benefited from actually being chronological too.

I would however read another book by Tan as I enjoyed his writing, but unfortunately I didn’t love the concept of this one.
I am a huge Queer Eye fan but I wasn't as 'grabbed' by this as I expected it to be. It is written in much the same way Tan talks, without any literary pretension, which makes it accessible but I still haven't made it all the way to the end...
I am not really a biography person but I have to admit I really enjoyed this. It was insightful without being self absorbed and I loved Tan's honesty, humour and his styling tips throughout the book. Having been born in a Yorkshire mining town myself and moving to Australia, I could really relate to his obersvations about moving to another English speaking country. All in all a great, light-hearted beachy read - it made me want to watch more Queer Eye now...
Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy. As much as I love Queer Eye and have huge love for all 5 guys, I wasn't really feeling this book.
In preparation for the newest season of Queer Eye, I was absolutely delighted to receive and start reading Tan France's book, as I absolutely adore him on the show. Not only did I get an insight into the production of Queer Eye itself, but I also felt that I learnt a lot surrounding South Asian culture, American culture from a British perspective and of course - style.

I liked a lot about this book, namely the fact that it began in Tan's humble British roots and worked it's way up to fame. It certainly felt like Tan's authentic voice and I liked the way that the chapters were divided too. The reminiscing was often broken up with style advice or generic life advice too which was nice. I think my favourite 'parts' were those concerning Queer Eye though! The audition process for the show was absolutely fascinating and it was so interesting to glimpse how they shoot each section, particularly Tan's.

I liked the writing style too, though I do have to say that I found the constant need to ask a rhetorical question, then follow it up with an answer a bit irritating. France did the whole 'Did I learn something? Yes. Did I enjoy learning that thing? No. Would I learn it again? Yes.' thing A LOT. But I totally read it in Tan France's voice which can only be a good thing I suppose.
Naturally Tan by Tan France is an entertaining and enlightening read. The book is brilliantly written.
Such a great book, I loved him from the TV series so it was great to find out more about his life. Would 100% recommend
Really enjoyed Tan's book and found it very easy to read. Interesting stories about growing up and the racism he suffered. I would have liked to hear how he came out to his family as he talks about so many other personal times, that this feels like a gap.
It was also really revealing learning about the interview process for Queer Eye, which I enjoy.
A good read.
Really fun book. Love the show and the book gives off the same feeling of fun and positivity! Really like the styling sections at the end of each chapter!
Disclaimer: I’m not a big fan of celebrity memoirs and it was probably daft of me to think that I’d like this one just because I love Queer Eye. If you enjoy them, there’s a good chance you’ll love this.

Gosh, I can’t even remember the last time I wrote a review that wasn’t excitable and glowing. Before I start on the criticism, there were elements of Naturally Tan that I loved. The chapters focused on growing up as part of a South Asian family in Yorkshire were eye opening, thought provoking and heartfelt. Unfortunately, beyond that point it just lacked substance and the jumps between anecdotes and fashion advice felt clumsy and awkward, like he’d been forced to squash in some of the nuggets of wisdom he’s become famous for, regardless of whether they fit.

I have to say that I caught myself rolling my eyes considerably at parts - never wear sweatpants around your partner (get out), never do this, don’t do that. A fair bit of it was aimed specifically at women which just got my back up.

It was an easy, speedy beach read and ideal if you love a celeb memoir but otherwise I wouldn’t really recommend it. I still think Tan is wonderful and Queer Eye is fantastic... there’s just much better, funnier and more entertaining non-fiction out there.

Thanks to @netgalley and @eburybooks for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review!
I absolutely adore Queer Eye. It's my go-to show for when I need a few smiles and I'm so excited for all the books these boys are releasing. So I didn't hesitate to request a review copy for Naturally Tan.

I love Tan. He always seems really sweet and down-to-earth, and I love seeing his confidence grow as he spends more time in front of a camera, so we can see more of his naturally snarky self. (One of my favourite quotes from season 3: "Fives? A ten is speaking.")

So he shares a few stories for the Queer Eye fans, but I also loved getting to know him as an individual rather than part of the Fab 5. How his life has changed since the show, his infinite love for his husband, life as a POC. It's all there.

As the QE stylist, he also gives out some fashion tips, though I felt like these could have been phrased less judgy? He always backtracks by saying "If you like to dress like this, that's fine" but it still bothered me. (Though I will 100% follow him on his mission to ban all Crocs.)

The book itself was a really quick and easy read, although a bit haywire at times. Some chapters were just a bunch of random thoughts/stories without any connection.

Overall, I thought this was a really lovely read, and I loved getting to know Tan, naturally.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House UK for providing me with a copy