Cover Image: The Things We Left Unsaid

The Things We Left Unsaid

I wasn't sure of this book when I first started it but wow once I got into it I absolutely loved it. The main characters are Eleanor who's story starts in nineteen sixties London and Rachel her daughter who was born in the nineteen eighties. It comprises of two love stories and all the up's and downs that they entail and how we can't always choose who we fall in love with. It's by no means a mushy hearts and flowers book, it gives you a good insight into the promiscuous sixties and gradually the story progresses to present times.
This is a lovely interesting book set in the 1960's and today, about Eleanor an artist who falls in love with Jake,whilst at art college,but he is gay.
They keep in touch over the years and she has a very happy marriage with Charlie and a daughter Rachel.
When Charlie and Eleanor have both passed away, Rachel wishes she had been closer to her mother and discovers a secret in her mother's belongings.
Highly recommended book. Thanks to Netgalley for an Arc.
A beautifully written novel of Eleanor's past hedonistic student life, love and loss interspersed with Rachel's (her daughter) current life.
The author transports you straight to Soho in the 60's with the fashion, the art and the student hangouts so well described I felt I has been there despite not even existing in that era! Eleanor's young life was so exciting that it is hard to reconcile her with the mother in Rachel's part of the story but I guess that is an accurate reflection of how we all change as we age and become responsible!
Rachel in turn clearly has no idea about her mum before she was a mum (as is true of so many of us) and her point of view is so very different that it is easy to understand the underlying animosity between the pair.
The whole story is one of love and loss but there are real moments of joy and humour interspersed, particularly via Agnes and her letters to Eleanor as a young girl but also her attitude to life as an old woman- she is definitely the aunt we all want!
Rachel is devastated, Not only has her father died just six weeks before she is due to get married but on the actual wedding day, her fiancé, Claude fails to turn up. She returns to live with her mother, Eleanor with whom she has a somewhat difficult relationship. They live together in a somewhat prickly setup but then one day Eleanor tries to tell Rachel something. Rachel, impatient, says it can wait but when she returns that evening her mother is dead. Set in two time periods, present day and the sixties this is a compelling tale of two women coming of age and coming to terms with themselves.

I loved this book. Anyone who has suffered the loss of a parent will identify with Rachel as she realises she will never again have the opportunity to relate to her parents, to hear their stories and know them as people. A lovely book which I strongly recommend.
I loved this book, from start to finish it had me wanting to keep reading! The book is set in the 1960's & present day & is mainly about the life of the artist Eleanor and her daughter Rachel. It is funny, sad and intriguing a must read. I honestly was sad to get to the end.
Eleanor is an art student and falls in love with Jake. A good man but he likes men more. This, in a way, is their story. A wonderfully readable book, referring to past in parts but it is needed to keep the story flowing and to complete the story. Good description of the characters and places. It is a funny, touching story. A very good read
Written in dual time frame, this novel is an absolute gem. I loved everything about it and would like to thank NetGalley and publisher Cornerstone Digital for my copy, sent in return for an honest review. The novel revolves around Eleanor a mother and her grown up daughter Rachel who have always had a tricky relationship. They love each other it’s true, but there are various tensions and feelings of awkwardness that have never been addressed.
Throughout the story we learn that Eleanor is a talented and famous artist whose career rapidly escalated after her first triumphant exhibition. Thereafter she has always been very much in demand for portraiture. Born in the swinging sixties; she enjoyed her life in London surrounded by a small circle of good friends. She and Charlie, her husband, were undisputedly brilliant, hands-on parents who had waited sixteen years for the birth of Rachel and who had focused their nurturing, love and devotion on their only child.
Rachel, however, has always felt that she lives her life in her mother’s shadow. She feels that she has never been good enough set alongside her famous mother; that she has always been a great disappointment to her. She adores her father and every photograph her parents had ever taken featured her with her father; her mother obviously the photographer.
As the story starts Rachel has been jilted by her fiancé Claude on the morning of their wedding day and with nowhere else to go has been forced to return to the family home. The distance between her and her mother feels like a giant chasm, and as that long hot summer draws on she feels out of sorts and miserable. She can feel the tension rising. She cannot face her new life of unhappiness or her unsatisfactory relationship with her mother. Then one evening her life changes in a heartbeat. Nothing will ever be the same again. This is Rachel’s story and what a tremendous, engaging and beautifully written story it is.
I loved the storyboard and the way the characters were developed in the story. They worked their way into my heart and the rogues were truly inspired. I like stories about families and I enjoyed this story especially.  This author has insight and compassion and is an excellent storyteller, wise and full of empathy. I also loved the themes that made up the story and the way they were seamlessly resolved. I particularly loved the brilliant finale to the story, everything pulled together to give the reader a heart-warming and immensely satisfying ending. I highly recommend this novel as a breathtakingly excellent read.
This is a light, chick-lit style story. There is nothing original in the structure of the book (then and now), or the characters and setting, and the outcomes were predictable. I did read to the end and the writing was OK, but I like something with a bit more tension.
A thoroughly enjoyable read. This proved to be ideal reading for passing the time on my sunbed  by the sea.