The Present

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This book certainly isn't one for the faint hearted. It's a great story, I wasn't sure who the killer was right up until the end. However,, it is seriously gory, gratuitously so in my opinion. So if you tend to be squeamish I'm not sure that this is the book for you.
This was a fascinating thriller that kept me up past my bedtime. Excellent character development along with a twisty story. Highly recommended.
I enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing until the end - I had a couple of suspects earmarked from early on - and I read it in almost a single sitting.
This is a Christmas thriller, quite easy to read but lacks the mystery component!

The story starts off with a good premise but…

I tend to like stories that are peppered with thought-provoking twists and turns and this story, unfortunately, has none; guessing the culprit was basically a walk in the park.

If you’re looking for an easy ready, revolving around some incredibly gruesome crimes and you’re not bothered by the lack of mystery then you should definitely give this book a read.

I would like to thank the Publishers, NetGalley, and the Author for sending me a copy of this book.
#ThePresent #NetGalley
12 deadly presents, a serial killer. How the police will catch him? I thought I have read these kinds of books before but i was so wrong. Highly recommended.
Cannot give feedback as the book is stuck on my shelf unable to be downloaded because something is missing despite there being no archive date.
A fantastic crime novel that ties in very well with the twelve days of Christmas theme. I thought the author, DS Devlin's concept of the countdown and the delivering of presents coinciding with the twelve days of Christmas was a quality idea.

The Present was a hugely enjoyable read without the complexity and twists and turns of many other mysteries and thrillers but it still kept me questioning and guessing until the end and there were plenty of red herrings to lead me astray.

It becomes apparent later in the book why the Santa Killer chose to abduct and kill his victims around the Christmas period each year.

The story moved along at a comfortable pace and for me, this was a brilliant crime thriller/murder mystery read. I highly recommend The Present to anyone who favours this genre.

With gratitude to HarperCollins and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review a copy of this novel.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love thrillers and this one certainly didn't disappoint. The story is fantastic and has been planned with great care. A real page turner!
The synopsis of the book sounded extremely interesting, enough to make me want to read it and find out more.
Did the book live up to it though?!? Well ..in a word...... yes! It’s an extremely well thought out storyline and has been executed with great aplomb. I like the authors writing style, I found it engaged the reader and drew me in. The characters were also well written, with in depth personalities that gave the feel of realism.
All in all a good, solid read. I don’t know how i managed to let this one pass me by for so long!
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for my arc.
All thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own.
# The Present #
I thought I had read this book before, as I have not long had this one from Netgalley. Sure enough I had, I read it almost as soon as it was released back in 2017. It’s funny how some books stick in your mind. Well I read it again and apart from the odd bit I almost remembered it like for line. It was and still is a damed good book. It’s very rare I can read a book twice, yet even though I knew what was coming I just had to continue reading the book. All told I can count on one hand the amount of books I have read more than once, for me to be able to read again means one thing it’s a brilliant, fantastic read otherwise I genuinely would not have read it again. Highly recommended
12 deadly presents one series killer on the loose. Will the police be able to find out who did it before he claims another victim. This book can be enjoyed anytime. Not only at Christmas.
Thank you netgalley for this book. A good thriller, page turner. It keeps you guessing.

it can be a bit gruesome but ive come to expect that of thrillers. 5 out of 5!
I tried to like this book but I just could not get into it. Did not finish it and was disappointed as the synopsis made it seem really good
At first I thought I knew who ‘Santa’ was; I thought I was going to be reading a paint by numbers kind of story, but boy was I wrong, I found this book gripping and fast paced, I couldn’t put it down. I’m happy to say I didn’t see the twist coming and I eagerly await the next book from D S Devlin.
Read and reviewed in exchange for a free copy from NetGalley..

Eek! This was a chilling read, Devlin's writing was so good I was terrifed (I have not learnt not to read scary books at 2am), but found the book utterly gripping. I enjoyed the concept of the story, although felt the revelation and the ending were a little rushed.
Well written and thoroughly enjoyable read, some good twists and turns all though i think the ending could have been a bit better. on the whole though i liked it!
Read with The Present by Charlotte Phillips, two books with the same title but two very different storylines.
Charlotte Phillips gave us a beautiful story of love, D S Devlin gives us a story of death!
As much as I love the the other book of the two, this one is hands down my favourite.
Do you give your xmas gifts a little shake trying to figure out what is inside before you get to open it? This might have you being a bit dubious in the unwrapping!
A killer Christmas read that has a present for everyone!
I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review

Very clever concept but execution second tier
I liked the idea of the story. The Santa killer who apparently likes the song "Twelve days of Christmas" and plants presents and/or hints every day in the run up til Christmas. Journalist Anna is determined to catch the killer before all the days have run out.
I also liked how the story develops, with the first clues leading to others. With Annas search. (Although I found her a bit too self-confident when she says already at the very beginning that she will find him this year, she will be smarter than all the cops and she will catch him before he kills his next victim. How can she be so sure of herself with not even one clue yet?) I even found the big showdown quite good, although not heartstopping despite the surprise effects.

It's only that I found the writing style not always fitting for a crime novel. All these rhetorical questions Anna is asking herself (and sometimes answering, too) were annoying for example.

But overall it was an enjoyable read.
I do love a crime thriller set over Christmas time so I couldn’t resist grabbing this one recently. It starts off so well when Anna, a journalist, receives a gruesome gift at her home in the days following the murder of a man and kidnap of his wife. It’s believed to be the work of the serial killer dubbed Santa Killer who has been killing people at Christmas for a few years. After a kill he leaves ‘gifts’ for twelve days of Christmas at which point the kidnap victim is usually found dead. The first part of this book had me gripped and I couldn’t put it down but it did all fall away a bit as the book went on. The problem for me is that there was only really two suspects in the book so it soon became obvious who the killer is and I just got increasingly frustrated with how Anna couldn’t work it out. I did finish the book though and I would be interested to read what the author writes next.