Cover Image: How Do You Like Me Now?

How Do You Like Me Now?

Holly Bourne was a new author to me, I have never read any of her YA books and this was her debut adult novel back in 2018. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about this one and I can understand why. I’m a 30 year old mother of two with a husband, a house, two dogs and my own business. I did everything that is mocked in this book and whilst some might find that irritating or feel laughed at I found I was actually laughing at myself!

I am your walking, talking 30 year old cliche and I love my life but I also love how on point Holly Bourne was. Whilst reading this book I found myself saying far too often I can’t believe I did that or yes that is definitely happening now! This books is honest, funny and highly relatable.

However I did find Tori slightly irritating. Whilst she was amusing, candid and confident she seemed to be unable to take control of any of her own decisions. Many a time I was shouting at her to get a grip and cut the cord that was attached to Tom. I think the character that I liked the most was Dee. She tried her best to remain as true to herself as possible and was ultimately a great friend for Tori.

I’m so pleased that I read this book at the age I am now. I’m secure enough in my life choices to be able to take this story with a pinch of salt, laugh at the cliches and enjoy what I ultimately thought was thought provoking writing. I just wish that I could read Tori’s self help memoir, I have a feeling it would give me the giggles. I also wouldn’t mind knowing what happens to Tori, where her next adventure takes her.
Okay, so I'm suitably ashamed that I didn't read and review this sooner, especially seeing as Holly's latest book has just been released. How Do You Like Me Now was an enjoyable, and in many places, extremely relatable read. Holly's honesty and raw writing style perfectly conveys many of the issues we often face as we enter our 30s. Especially the chapters about pregnancy, babies and how your life changes when everyone has them and you don't necessarily want to give into the pressure; the judgements you receive and the feelings that follow you.. As a childfree 30-something, this felt so accurate. Certain chapters were particularly heart-wrenching.

The only issue I had (hence the three stars) was that, as enjoyable as this book is, there doesn't seem to be much of a plot. Reading this book was like reading someone else's diary - there was no clear story, which is what I was expecting from the blurb. Also, admittedly I found Tori quite annoying. Despite relating to many of her problems, she grated on my nerves sometimes. However, overall this is a great read, and it's nice to find books that focus on 30-something life.
Following Tori, a bestselling author, who has inspired millions, the problem is she is not inspiring herself and she is starting to wonder if everything is right in her world.

I wasn't too sure of this book. I mean I get it but just I didn't love it. The characters were likeable but I just didn't feel connected with her at all. I wanted more build up between Tom and Tori and that just felt quite flat. And I felt that the book left too many loose ends that I just wanted all tied up with a neat bow and that just didn't happen.

Unfortunately this one was just not for me.
I really enjoyed How Do You Like Me Now. Holly Bourne has written an excellent adult novel that reflects a relatable, modern experience for young women today. It’s a great extension of Bourne’s YA work (although it isn’t a book that would make for easy reading for a teenager), and it certainly captures something that isn’t often seen in literature or media - a woman unapologetically making mistakes and being her true, authentic self.
I adore Holly Bourne's YA books but there was something about Tori that jarred with me. At times during the book  I felt as though she would never be pleased but the also somehow what I wanted from life made ME not good enough. At the same time I couldn't stop reading so it was a bizarre experience. What I did really like was the Bridget Jones-esque style writing and the IDGAF attitude from Tori too.
DNF for this one unfortunately. I found the main character far to annoying to continue reading and enjoying this.
A great book I wish had been around a couple years ago when I was in a similar place emotionally. Laugh out loud funny, I sped through this light read quickly. A warning about Instagram and social media obsessives, and about the fakes ness of the perfect life people portray.
A fun, breezy read which made me laugh out loud and cry. Holly deals with deep issues in an entertaining way - a real page-turner.
Now, I can’t remember why I picked up How Do You Like Me Now? I think it was because I recognised the writer from her profile on social media but I probably should have thought about that more closely as this book probably isn’t my cup of tea. However, it may well be yours so let’s go through it anyway…

A comparison with Bridget Jones is somewhat inevitable as the book centres around Tori Bailey, a thirty-something living in London-town who is battling to keep up appearances with her seemingly perfect boyfriend and her Instagram-perfect life as a successful writer whose whole USP is authenticity – yet this picture-perfect lifestyle of hers is not what it seems…

This is a novel that sets out to supposedly challenge the millennial generation’s apparent obsession with Instagram and feigning perfection rather than embracing reality, mistakes, and lessons learnt along the way. And to be honest that premise already feels like a tired cliché. And I can’t help but think that much of the next generation is far smarter than this book portrays them.
I have heard many good things about Holly's Young Adult books so I was eager to read her first adult novel. Unfortunately it just didn't do it for me. I didn't find the central character particularly likable, which made it hard to emphasise with her during the events of the book. I understood that the things happening to her, the way her boyfriend acted etc weren't good, but I couldn't bring myself to care....

That's not to say I've given up on Holly though, I'm going to give her YA books a try.
Holly Bourne is one of my favourite writers, ever.  How Do You Like Me Now? is her first adult fiction novel, and it did not disappoint.  Tori Bailey wrote a bestseller about her relationship in her twenties, and now she has hit her thirties, everyone wants the sequel.  The problem?  Tori has writers’ block, and her Prince Charming has turned into a toad.  How Do You Like Me Now? is a timely and incredibly witty story of figuring yourself out when everyone else has their life together.  Even though I am not in my thirties, Tori’s story resonated with me.  It also had me laughing out loud several times whilst reading.  I want more.
After reading all of Holly’s Young Adult novels (and adoring them) I was super intrigued and excited to dive into her adult debut. I can tell you How Do You Like Me Now? did not disappoint, it’s a relatable and hilariously funny read, where Hollys writing really shines through. I cannot wait to continue to read more of her books in the future.
Holly Bourne can do no wrong! While I didn't find this as engrossing a read as her other novels, I loved it still and found myself fully connecting with it. Holly is fast becoming one of my auto-buy authors.
This book is an easy read because you can find yourself relating to the main character and things happening to her friends and how she is dealing with life. The story flows and you find yourself not putting the book down!
Please note that this book is not for me - I have read the book, However I had to DNF and because i do not like to give negative reviews I will not review this book fully - there is no specific reason for not liking this book. I found it a struggle to read and did not enjoy trying to force myself to read this book.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and thank you for the opportunity to read this book
4.5 rounded to 4. Really enjoyed this - read in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down!!

It was ridiculously readable - I so rarely read things in one sitting now that this is notable - and the changes in priorities and relationships in the transition from her 20s to her 30s that Tori (whose entire life and career centres around selling a particular version of herself) goes through is very relatable.
I absolutely adore Holly's YA books, so was excited to see that she was branching out into writing for adults. How Do You Like Me Now? is the story of self-help writer Tori Bailey and her struggles in her current life and relationship. Her self-help book based on her own life experiences ended with her in the perfect dream relationship and now she is living a lie, because her relationship isn't all she makes out. Tori is really not happy and that very much comes across in the writing, along with her bitterness about other people's relationships, which sometimes makes for uncomfortable reading. Holly explores the emotions of living a life that is very different to the one we present brilliantly.
This book just didn’t work for me. It felt preachy and I really couldn’t gel with the main character. I would say I’m the exact age range that the book was written for but I just didn’t see myself or others of my age in the character. The constant talk/use/reliance on social media just made the book feel like a story that I’ve read many times before. The writing was great though and I will definitely still read the authors other work, I think this one was maybe just not right for me.
Whatever your age, this book will speak to you but it will particularly resonate with those in their thirties or who remember what a messed up time it can be. It's witty and unflinchingly honest but captures the confusion and complexity of this difficult age. It's easy to see why some people don't like it but for those who can relate it will be perfect.
As a fan of her YA work, this was everything I wanted from her adult debut. Perfectly captures the self-help and social media generation's woes.