Cover Image: Execution

Execution

i haven't read previous books in the series, but as this is one of my favourite periods of history , I enjoyed it as a standalone. Mixing fact and fiction is always great fun and makes for a fascinating read.
Another one in the series about Bruno, the ex Dominican monk who has fled Italy because of his 'heresy' and who is determined to win favour with Elizabeth I in return for spying on Catholic conspiracy plots. This one involves Mary Queen of Scots where she is said to have been plotting to kill her cousin.

I have enjoyed previous books in the series but I found this one heavy going. Everyone seemed to be double dealing and not who they were supposed to be, there were huge lumps of expositional dialogue to help us understand who did what and why. Overall I found it hard to connect to. .

I did like the detail of Elizabethan London, though and that's why I've given it 3 stars rather than 2. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
This was another excellent read from the writer. I find Parris' books very remarkable in historical mystery and this was no exception.
I loved the story, the pace, and characterization. I was completely hooked from beginning to end.
If you like the genre, this is one not to miss.

Thanks a lot to NG and the publisher for this copy.
I read other books in this series and always loved them, this one was no exception.
Even if the book Giordano Bruno is a bit different from the historical one, I love how he is written and I find him an interesting and well thought characters.
The plot is engrossing and entertaining, there's a lot historical research and you can note them in the details and in the vivid historical background.
The mix of fiction and historical facts works well and creates an interesting and entertaining plot.
I liked the well thought cast of characters and I loved the mystery side of this story.
I can't wait to read the next instalment.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
This book is part of a series but reads equally well as a stand alone novel.  I always enjoy books that teach you history incidentally, and this book does exactly that.  The tension between Catholics and the Church of England is perfectly encapsulated.  The characters are very well drawn out, and not too many that you forget who’s who.  And unlike some novels set in this period, there are some excellent female characters too.  I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
This is the first book I've read by this author, not having read any of the previous books in the series, I wasn't sure what to expect and had nothing to compare this latest book to.
    I needn't have worried, the author adequately  fills in any blanks in the backstory relevant  for you .
     This was a pacy, action packed historical mystery/ thriller that draws you into the storyline and I was kept rapt with the twists and turns in the plot  throughout the book.
     Giordano Bruno has returned to England to impart important information into the hands of Sir Francis Walsingham , Elizabeth's Spy Master.
       The  mutilated body of a young woman is found in Sothwark , nothing unusual in the lawless area of human depravity, there is mystery surrounding this one though ,as she appears to be a lady . A ward of Sir Francis is missing , after going under cover to try and uncover evidence of regicide against the Queen.
        Giordano is sent to infiltrate the conspirators, in the guise of a Spanish priest. He needs evidence to prove Mary Stuart is plotting against Elizabeth , to take the throne for herself. Can he find out what happened to Clara Poole? Was she romantically nvolved with any of the conspirators ?
        Tensions build , as the plot thickens. Who is friend and who is foe? With political intrigues and increasing levels  of religious unrest ,you have an impending sense of doom.  My heart was in my mouth by the culmination of the book.
       The research that went into the book was obvious. The vivid depictions of life in Elizabethan England felt so accurate , you could've been walking in the footsteps of the protagonists.
      I really enjoyed this book. It kept me riveted to the thickening plot as it unfolded . I thoroughly recommend it!
My thanks to HarperCollins U.K. for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Execution’ by S.J. Parris in exchange for an honest review. Its publication was originally planned for late April though due to Covid-19 has been rescheduled for 09 July.

However, I was pleased to find that its audiobook edition, narrated by Daniel Philpott, was available now. So, I bought a copy and listened alongside reading the eARC for an immersive experience.

This is the sixth in Parris’ series of historical mysteries set in Elizabethan England featuring ex-priest turned spy Giordano Bruno. I had read the first book in the series, ‘Heresy’, some years ago and found it excellent. I had intended to continue with the series though the vision problems that I had until 2018 curtailed my reading.

Still as I was familiar with the premise of the series and its historical setting, it didn’t prove at all difficult to read this out of order. In addition, enough background was provided for new readers to the series.

In ‘Execution’ set in 1586, Bruno returns from Paris with intelligence for Sir Francis Walsingham about a new Catholic conspiracy to murder Queen Elizabeth and place Mary, Queen of Scots on the English throne.

It turns out that Walsingham is already aware of the plot, led by the young, wealthy noble Anthony Babington, and is intending to allow it to progress with the hope that Mary will put her support in writing, which would allow her to be charged with treason and executed.

At Walsingham’s bidding Bruno agrees to go undercover with the conspirators by impersonating a Spanish Jesuit that they are expecting to join them. In addition to reporting on the group, Walsingham wants Bruno to discover who murdered Clara, a close friend of Walsingham’s daughter. Clara had previously infiltrated the group joining her half-brother, Robin, to spy for Walsingham.

This was an excellent work of historical fiction. Parris is drawing upon historical events, such as the Babington Plot and her protagonist, Bruno, is also a notable historical figure. So these fictional events play out against this historical backdrop.

It was easy to feel immersed in Parris’ London. Aside from it being meticulously researched, she creates a strong sense of immediacy through the sights, sounds, and smells of the city. The limited roles for women in Elizabethan society was especially highlighted.

I was intrigued by the introduction of Leila Humeya, an Arabic woman working as a healer and midwife in Southwark. She makes a spectacular entrance by aiming a crossbow at Bruno’s face when he follows a boy he wants to question into her medicinal herb garden.

Overall, I have nothing but praise for S.J. Parris and plan to read the previous novels in this excellent series while waiting for news of Book 7.

Highly recommended.
Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining Elizabethan thriller. Execution is a marvellous, gripping drama set at the time of the Babington conspiracy. It follows the book's hero Giordano Bruno as he works alongside Elizabethan spy master Francis Walsingham to solve a murder and infiltrate the would-be regicides as the plot to kill Elizabeth I and put Mary Queen of Scots in the throne.
The story is fast-paced and replete with fascinating detail.
From the brothels of Southwark to Whitehall Palace itself, the story leads the reader through the warrens of London's street, meticulously recreating Elizabethan love in intricate detail. The research, of the plot and the times, is impeccable.
The characters are wonderfully vivid - full of life and experience.
This is a fabulous novel, an engaging and entertaining read. Thrilling!
I think this might be the best in the series so far. Walsingham at his most enigmatic and Bruno with a mixture of bravery, charm and determination managing to survive everything thrown at him. As always, the characters are three dimensional and engaging. This is well paced, well written and well researched. I really enjoyed reading this book and would thoroughly recommend it for anyone who enjoys historical fiction without inaccuracies or anachronisms.
This is the first book that I have read by S.J. Parris. It is really well written and researched. It is interesting the whole way through.. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
After being exiled to Paris, Giordano Bruno is recalled by Walsingham to help in an audacious endeavour.  There is another plot against the life of Queen Elisabeth but Walsingham wants it to progress to allow Mary, Queen of Scots, to implicate herself and therefore be guilty of treason.  Bruno is asked to infiltrate the plotters in the guise of a priest and also to investigate the death of Walsingham’s daughter’s friend.

This is another cracking tale from Parris.  Her novels combine all that is best about historical fiction, a believable protagonist, a twisty and clever plot which is grounded in truth, a fantastic cast of characters with mercurial ideas and an amazing sense of time and place.  Here the lives of women are brought to the fore, the frustrated noblewomen who are not allowed to do anything, the bright but poor and the woman who can do no more than be whores.  Add this to a story which races along and you have a great read.
When in doubt read a Tudor Whodunit.  Giordano Bruno was my first Tudor detective and remains my favourite. Execution sees him back in London in the service of Walsingham plunged headlong into the Babbington plot with a side order of murder to contend with.  Parris paints a vivid picture of the smells, sounds and geography of Tudor London with a generous dollop of romance on top.  Excellent page turning stuff.
Here we fall back into the world of Giordano Bruno and the all encompassing tentacles of Sir Frances Walsingham, the man who makes Dominic Cummings seem less like a control freak. S J Parris always cleverly paints with such a light brush yet creates a convincing world within which her characters sit. The tale this time revolves around the Babington Plot and weaves an interesting tale with her characters, the reader is always drawn into the narrative and this book is no exception. I await the next installment of this series and have no hesitation in recommending it to readers.

#Execution #NetGalley
Set in Elizabethan England, this is a brilliant series - historically accurate, pacy and exciting.  Giordano Bruno is back in England and under the direction of Sir Francis Walsingham, spymaster to the Queen.  He is given a difficult and dangerous assignment, but with French dogs snapping at his heels, he is pleased to be able to serve in England once more.

The story is well written and flows really well.  The author paints a great picture of the time, and writes in a humorous and interesting style.  Bruno is portrayed in a sympathetic manner, and his character shines through.

A great read, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for more.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for allowing me access to the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Have loved all the Giordano Bruno books they are full of character intrigue and danger, and puts you back into the 16th century when life was very hard, and women were thought of as trophies that were owned, and Elizabeth 1 on the throne and her cousin Mary Queen of Scots who is always plotting against her and Elizabeth very reluctant to put her head on the block. Starts when Bruno heretic former monk comes back from France and is in dire need to see Walsingham who he spies for as he has important information about Mary and another plot against the Queen, but being an Italian has it disadvantages as many think he is a Spaniard and they would like any excuse to start a war with England.  After a sticky start, he gets to Walsingham to find Walsingham's daughter who is married to Sidney who Bruno has great affection for and has had many adventures with informs him that her friend has been murdered and wants Bruno to investigate which put her father who works for the queen at odds with him.  Turns out she was going on a mission to pick something for Walsingham when she was brutely murdered, and Walsingham does ask Bruno to go undercover for him to see if he can get news and information that Mary is conspiring to murder Elizabeth and if they can get written acknowledgment then that constitutes Treason and it's your head, literally, at the same time to see who is a traitor and who is for the cause., what cause? to free Mary or to keep Elizabeth on the throne.  The description in the written word is colourful and you can almost see and feel the streets of London in that era only protection is a knife sword or a gun but that is basic as once it's been used takes time to reload, so wit and a sharp mind may keep you safe.  Well done S J Parris for good penmanship and written entertainment, brilliant piece of work, and I thank Netgalley and HarperCollins UK for an ARC copy to review.
Execution by S J Parris
Having read all of the previous books in the Giordano Bruno series I found this one a welcome addition.  S J Parris is able to weave together fact and fiction creating an entertaining tale of spies, treachery and murder.  Giordano Bruno has returned from Paris and is pressed into the service of Francis Walsingham in his determination to rid the country of the Scottish queen.
Walsingham sets Bruno the task of infiltrating a group of fanatics who plot to kill Queen Elizabeth.  He is to impersonate a Spanish Jesuit priest and to discover who murdered Clara Poole, a close friend of Walsingham’s daughter, who had previously infiltrated the group.  We gain an insight into the motivations of each member of the group as they explain their reasons for wanting Elizabeth dead.
The author conveys the danger in which Bruno has placed himself and the barbarity of the period.  The story is based on the Babington Plot of 1586 but knowing the outcome of this ill-fated plot does not impact on one’s enjoyment of the novel as the focus is on the murder of Clara Poole.  We are also introduced to some interesting minor characters such as Joe, Ben and Leila.
A fast paced and entertaining read and the introduction of Sophie into the storyline keeps alive our hope that they will one day find happiness together.  I would like to thank Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this novel in return for an honest review.
Pacy and intricately put together this merger of fact and fiction revolving around Elizabeth 1, Mary Queen of Scots, and the Babington Plot drives Giordano Bruno, reluctantly, to assume an identity and infiltrate said plotters. Possibly connected he also is tasked with solving a murder and the mix of the two leads us to a toe curling finale. As atmospheric as ever it it really creates the scene in the minds eye. A must read series if ever there was one and my thanks to Harper Collins and Net Galley for the opportunity to review.
I read the first in this series many moons ago but never continued the series, so I was little worried that I may be at a disadvantage going into the story. I need t have worried. From the very first page I knew I was going to enjoy myself. Parris knows how to tell a story and this entertained and held my interest straight away. I liked Bruno as the main character and from the moment he is coerced into taking the assignment there was action on action as he leapt from frying pan to frying pan and into the fire. There is a love interest continuing from previous books as well as a new friend who I suspect will be in future books, as a friend, if not another love interest of the future.
Many thanks to Netgalley for an arc of this book. I suspect I will want to fill in the gaps by reading its precursors too!
It must be very difficult to write a gripping historical thriller where everyone knows what the outcome was. But this author has done precisely that. Execution has a strong plot and many satisfying twists along the way. It was a very difficult book to put down. Parris' character Giodarno Bruni is sent undercover, to infiltrate a plot against Elizabeth Tudor, and to also investigate the murder of another of Walsingham's agents. I have not read any other of S J Parris's works but on the strength of this book I most certainly shall.
It took me a while to get into this book but I am so glad that I persisted because I thoroughly enjoyed it by the end.
Set in Elizabethan England the story entwines a plot to assassinate Elizabeth I with the murder of a young woman. How are the two things connected?
Many thanks to Net Galley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.