Space Police

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

half "hitchhiker guide", half "the pink panther", inspector Capstan woke by mistake from a deep iced state in a totally absurd future. But the frightening thing is it is deeply rooted in our present and shows the present absurdity accurately. so so this future is not so improbable, alas... the writing is right, funny and you really can't lay the book down before the end. a nice book for easy reading, nothing too anxiogenic but could make someone thinking about the state of our present world. a nice reboot for the inspector Capstan
Space Police is not bad, but it is also definitely not Hitchhikers or even Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Following his cryogenic freezing and unfreezing, the story of Detective Inspector Capstan and his first case for the Space Police is very basic and simple and could have done with fleshing out more so it does not read like an overlong novella.

The humour in Space Police feels more juvenile than the aforementioned series and jokes are dragged out for far too long.

On the other hand, it is an easy read, to a point where I think this would have been more successful if the target audience had been children. This would require some of the sexual jokes being removed and the idea that the only women who exist are either a farmer's daughter or sex(y) robot was removed altogether. In hindsight, better to remove the latter idea completely no matter who the target audience is.

I will probably pick up the next one based on the improved reviews and similar to his crime novels, hopefully, David Blake creates a successful series in his own right.
There's a lot to be said for a completely undemanding read. No struggling with Shakespeare's English.  No deep concentration on Hardy's interminable sentences. No guilt at having one's awareness enhanced by some miserable tale of social injustice. No moments of horror. No racing heart, and no sweaty palms at nail biting moments. This is a book you can put down at night or stick in your pocket when your flight is called.
This is a book of gentle humour for a respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life. I suspect though that there is a sort of catch 22 at work here; the sort of people who would appreciate this books might appreciate it probably don't read books. I suspect this book's market has been eaten by computer games.
Next book on my to be reviewed list is Space Police: Attack of the Mammary Clans. An absurdly humorous  take on the buddy cop formula with a science fiction twist, that sees Detective Inspector Capstan waking from a dream about ice cream and dog poo to find himself 400 years in the future. The humour comes at you thick and fast from aliens resembling a certain milky pudding to a police lieutenant riding a cow in mid-air . While much of the humour is hit and miss the story progresses at a brisk pace which rarely falters making for an easy read. Likely aimed at more of a teen reader I don’t see too many adults finding this to be a series of interest unless they have a very, very broad sense of humour.
Overall not the greatest book I have reviewed to date, maybe something to pickup for a teenager on a train when the phone has died?
Space Police is a book that gives you what it promises on the cover. They're in Space (sometimes), they are police.... and there are cows. Not only that, the subtitle is suitably apt... this book certainly is almost funny. There were parts that I thought were quite humourous, but the book relies on far too many misunderstandings of sarcasm, and the repeated idea that being funny has been made illegal in the future.

I didn't know this was a sequel going in (despite it being book 1 of the series) so perhaps some subtleties about the character were lost on me.....As some other reviewers have alluded to, I think I may have needed to read the previous books. There are a lot of mentions of his previous partner, so any of these references were lost on me. There is also no clear indication as to why Capstan was frozen, but again, this may be clear in previous books.

Enough of being negative, once I got past these points I found the story to be entertaining enough, and was excited to see what would pan out. This one is not for you if you are a fan of Trump I don't think, but then again most humourous books aren't.

Overall I thought it was a good book. I'm in no way sorry that I read it, I'm just not sure I would continue the series. While for me it was not on a par with Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, I'm sure other fans of these books will find an enjoyable read here.
This is quite a silly tale of Inspector Catspam :) waking up 450 years after unknowingly having been put into suspended animation.
The running jokes are similar to ones in his stories from the 21st century.  I like that he has disdain for his subordinate Dewbush.
Yes this series is quite juvenile, but books don't have to be serious all the time.
This book was really enjoyable. Full of weird humor and that was definitely my cup of tea. I really like the cover. I can't wait to read other books in this series. If you like Douglas Adams works you will definitely like this book too.
A fun read. Well worth the time if you like books like Hitchhiker's Guide or the DiscWorld Series you will love this one. I am looking forward to reading the remainder books in the series.
A British police inspector—of which there seem to be thousands today—wakes up from cryo to find himself on an orbiting space station above Earth, with only one leg. There’s some mention of how he lost it, presumably in a previous book, but nothing on why they took his cryo tube or whatever it is from Earth to the space station. Seems like an excuse to have a contemporary detective move into science fiction.
Right from the start it’s trying really hard to be Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The scene with the microwave is right out of Red Dwarf. {Do I know sci-fi comedy or what?}
Though I’ve traveled through Great Britain a lot, there’s a bunch of Britishisms I’m not getting.
I wish that there was at least one character that isn’t a complete idiot, and that goes for the protagonist as well. Sigh.
This was more silly than funny, not much different than others I’ve read in this genre, except in space.
2.5 pushed up to 3/5
An irreverent comedy science fiction story reminiscent of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the book was entertaining enough to warrant interest in a sequel and recommendation to fellow book lovers
Perfect book for a teen that is bored at home. Nothing violent just childish humor.. Good read for teens.
Tried six chapters. Interesting ideas but not enough story to keep my interest. Did not finish. A lot of scene setting but nothing has happened plot wise in six chapters. Amusing but humour not sharp enough for me. Supposed to be in future but felt like present using current technology and few original ideas. Didn’t understand why UK would provide dairy when other countries have more grassland areas. That was when I stopped.
This book is brilliant! As a fan of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt, this book was a joy to read and I would recommend it to any fans of the same genres
This book is weird and funny all at the same time. It was perfect for me as I was looking for something different to read. This book takes place about 450 years in the future. Something okay a lot has changed in that time. It was fun and funny read about Capstan try and figure things out as he's been frozen for 450 years. He does take things surprising well and his first case is to find a cow.

*I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review.*
Attack of the Mammary Clans is the first book in the Space Police series. This book can be read as a standalone. This was the first book from this author that I have read, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. If you like British and sarcastic humor, then you should read this book. It certainly is irreverent and not politically correct. Definitely worth reading if you like this type of book.
The last thing Detective Inspector Andrew Capstan remembers was being shot by a serial killer, so it's not completely surprising that he wakes up in a hospital, minus one leg. What is surprising is that he was put into cryogenic stasis for 450 years, accidentally awakened, then immediately given his old job back with the distant descendant of his dim-witted subordinate Dewbush at his side. Their first case is to track down a missing cow, which is quite an important task given the prominence of dairy products in the intergalactic economy. Plotting politicians and breast-themed aliens complicate matters considerably. Vulgarity and absurdity provide less humor than promised.
This is the first book from David Blake I have read,and it was really very good.Absolutely hilarious in bits and so reminiscent of Douglas Adams. really well worth a read if you want a light hearted romp.
I received an electronic ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. I had read a prior book starring Detective Inspector Capstan, and was a little surprised to see him appear so far in the future. The future Earth is a strange place. run by a Trump-like dictator. The humor here is not subtle. It is a broad farce that is intended to make readers laugh out loud. I did a couple of times. I can't say the plot was predictable, but Capstan's reactions were. I felt he accepted the whole waking up after hundreds of years in suspended animation far too easily. I had trouble swallowing that elephant. But with some of the other wild things going on here, this was a minor concern. Not deep, but funny.
DISCLAIMER: I got this book for free.

It's very.. British. But in a good sense.
If you're a fan of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, you know what I mean. It has a subtle, elegant humor, witty storyline, and slow-as-snails pacing.
It really comes down to one question: did you like the HHG2TG, and Discworld books?
If no, then keep away.
If yes, you're in for a treat.
I don't think I have ever read anything quite like this, and that is not a bad thing.It was delightfully bonkers and very funny.I loved the idea that the cleaner had turned off some ones cryogenic machine by accident and they had thawed out.that was just the start of a wild and wonderful adventure.I bet the author had some fun writing this book, I certainly had fun reading it. I loved the characters and the wacky situations I have to give this 5 stars for originality alone, and I enjoyed the story.Thanks to the Publishers and Netgalley for an ARC.