Mine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jul 2019

Wow, what a thrilling read! It started innocently with a lawyer dealing with a divorce, and ended up in a murder investigation, and the lawyer is part of it all, whether she wants to or not!
Recommended!!
This book is a thriller based around the courts of London
It’s fast paced and will take your breath away at times
This book has something for everyone
I couldn’t put it down
A great book
In this riveting tale of psychological suspense, a divorce lawyer risks her career, her sanity, and her life when she falls into an illicit, all-consuming affair with her client—who becomes the primary suspect in his estranged wife’s sudden disappearance.
The book was okay. It took me a while to get into and then it didn't really feel right for me. It just wasn't a good fit for me.
I think this book will need to be made into a movie, it will be a hit. It's fast paced, thrilling and has loads of twists and turns. Great book
Mine is a great legal thriller with a difference. Francine Day is a high flying barrister about to apply for Silk when she finds herself having a relationship with her latest client Martin Joy.

Apart from the fact this is unethical within the legal profession, the reason she is representing Martin Joy is due to the fact he is divorcing his wife Donna. When Donna goes missing Francine finds herself dragged into a whole host of awkward situations in her quest to find out what really happened.

This story is fast paced and keeps your attention right to the very end. It is however quite far fetched at times and requires a lot of suspension of belief. Francine, in particular, comes across as rather stupid at times and her actions don't seem to be  in keeping with someone who has spent 20 years getting to the top of her profession. But if you can get past that it is an enjoyable read and quite a change from the usual run of the mill legal thriller.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
i really liked the setup of this book! It's always nice to see something different in a psychological thriller!

Very fast paced and intense, kept my interest throughout!!

I also liked the characters and found them believable!

4* from me!
I’ll be honest; this book teetered on the edge of DNF about mid-way through. The story just seemed to ‘constructed’ and there weren’t any characters I actually liked.

As for Fran, she just didn’t fit the backstory we were provided. I know she had mental issues when she was young, issues she overcame and had apparently been in control of since then, resulting in a confident, career driven woman. But that really seems all hearsay. All we are presented with is an unravelling character, weak from the start. It just didn’t feel realistic for her to falter so quickly after apparently holding it together for so long.

Despite that, there were some good moments thrown into the mix, enough to keep me pressing on.

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for a review copy.
Read and reviewed in exchange for a free copy from NetGalley. This book was utterly ridiculous and very enjoyable. It started with a bang and got straight into the action, which I liked, but it lagged a bit in places later on. I liked Fran although got thoroughly frustrated with her at times, but I loved Vivienne in her brief appearance. Butler wrote well and the dialogue was authentic, however, the number of sex scenes felt unnecessary. Although I predicted the outcome, there were still twists and turns, and it didn't detract from the story. I'd be interested in reading more from J.L. Butler.
A really gripping thriller that kept me guessing until the very last page. I loved it. Would recommend!
This was quite a slow starter for me. It did seem to drag a bit initially - really until around 22% where Francine wakes up with no recollection of what happened the previous night or how she came to be where she woke up. Even after this point it continues to move along at a steady pace. It didn't seem very fast paced,  although it did hold my interest.

Having read quite a lot of this type of book I was trying to second guess characters and motives and quickly decided that those who I thought it could have been, it almost certainly wasn't! I knew there would have to be a twist at the end. So I started working out who it could have been - a couple of other characters could have had reason to cause suspicion. However when it was revealed, it turned out to be a character I hadn't considered at all, although perhaps I should have!

This was a well written book but because of the slower pace, it did seem to drag somewhat in places. It was a surprising twist at the end though and it did keep my interest throughout.
This was a mixed bag for me! There were bits I loved and bits I really didn’t. I, like many others wondered why someone so intelligent could make such shockingly stupid decisions!!
Not only was Francine having an affair with a client - which BTW he didn’t even have to work for! She also spied, lied to the police, and dropped multiple clangers in front of friends about their husbands!
There were some really good bits, some of the twists and turns were really good, and it was well written! I read it in an afternoon, and that is a pretty good achievement as it’s very long!
Would recommend if you want 50 shades of gone girl.
An engrossing suspense thriller full of obsession and forbidden passion. London divorce lawyer Fran falls for her wealthy businessman client, Martin. Soon after his estranged wife Donna disappears and he is the prime suspect. A fun and engaging read.
I found this book to be ‘okay’ - it was a little slow in places I thought but it picked up the pace in the final chapters. What it did have was a lot of red herrings and it keeps you guessing until the end. I kept changing my mind about what I thought about who.

Francine is a barrister who lives for her work. She works hard and then takes files home and works some more. That all changes when she meets her new client, Martin Joy a millionaire whose estranged wife wants a hefty sum in the divorce settlement. Francine and Martin meet by chance one night and end up having lots of wild sex! From then on they embark on a ‘relationship’ which needs to be kept a secret as he is still Francine’s client. One night, Francine sees Martin in a restaurant having dinner with Donna (his estranged wife), she then follows them and sees them going into Donna’s house. A few days later it seems Donna has disappeared,  with Martin being the last person to have seen her. Meanwhile, Francine wakes up in her neighbour’s flat with no recollection of the night before beyond seeing Martin go home with Donna.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
This was a well written book, but for me, it just had that element of being a bit far fetched.  I found that from the character's humble beginnings, I found slightly implausible as to how she would risk her career.  Still an entertaining read though.
I really enjoyed this book although the first few pages were hard to get stuck into. It got interesting pretty quickly though and hooked me right up until the final few pages so that was a bonus! J.L Butler is the pseudonym for Tasmina Perry - I'm not certain why she writes under a different name as she has written this genre before, but nevertheless she is fantastic at what she does and this book is no exception.

Sinister, gripping, dark... these are just a handful of the words that could be used to describe this book. Female barrister 'heroine's' are rarely written about and whether or not you think that Fran is going above and beyond her job role or just plain taking ridiculous risks - the tenacity of her character is there and shines throughout. The main characters are likeable and portrayed in such a way that you suspect them and admire them in equal bouts. This wasn't a predictable book and that's what helped to make it all the more unique and entertaining - humour, darkness and romance in equal abundance with a great twist at the end just when you think you've figured it all out...
Mine is a psychological thriller about a divorce lawyer who risks her career and her life when she embarks on an illicit affair with her client.  Filled with twists and turns, this is a compelling and enjoyable read.
An interesting read with a few red herrings thrown in for good measure. I found the romance side of it to be a bit overplayed for my taste as I don't like things too O.T.T, I found it a bit gushing and it was obviously a rip off of Gone Girl so it loses points for originality on that one. Otherwise a decent read.
Divorce Lawyer Francine Day aged 37, is dedicated to her work, starting from her humble beginnings at a comprehensive school through to the respected London Courts. Her next big client could gain her entry into the silks (you normally have to work at least 10 years to gain this) This is an enormous accolade!!!

Everything is on target career wise until she meets new client Martin Joy who is divorcing wife Donna. They start a relationship but when Donna goes missing Martin is the main suspect.

Francine made some rotten decisions. For a woman so dedicated to her career, sleeping with a client was a sure fire way of losing her job. For a clever woman she was rather naive!!

I started off liking this book but my enthusiasm waned half way through, but managed to find it in time for the ending!!

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
I was uncertain about this book before I started reading it - The blurb for “Mine” got me interested straight away but I had seen that Butler is the pseudonym for Sunday Times bestseller, Tasmina Perry, an author who I associate with light holiday reads, glamourous “chick-lit” and “women’s” fiction – I was so wrong! The story follows Francine Day; a high flying, ambitious divorce lawyer with an imminent silk application that has never put a foot wrong falls into a passionate, all-consuming secret affair with a client. When the client’s wife vanishes, the secrets and cover-ups unravel and things begin to spin out of control for Francine.
I found the beginning a little to get into. It’s hard to like Francine Day. It also seemed strange that a supposedly intelligent lawyer would be willing to risk her career as a top ranking Barrister and a reputation that she’s built and worked hard for when she knows it’s wrong. It seems wrong that a character who has such a strong, driven background would yield and become such a cliché in how she behaves, falls and obsesses for a man so quickly; it feels like a complete personality change.  When I was about a quarter of the way through I was hooked though and I began to understand her a little – still didn’t really like her but I got the impression that the author doesn’t intend for readers to. The chapters are short and the pace of the novel is fast and gripping so you want to carry on with “just one more chapter” to see whether it will unravel for her. There’s plenty of twists and turns in the plot line as she begins to question everything she knew and thought about herself and also of those around her that you start to question and second guess the motives of every character too!
5/5 - If you loved “Girl on a Train” or “Apple Tree Yard” then you will enjoy this book. It’s full of suspense, intensity and complexity alongside the romance element – A signature psychological thriller! I’m not surprised at all that this novel has been optioned by Sony Pictures and will be seeking out Perry/Butler’s other books as soon as I can!

Thank-you to NetGalley for providing me with an Advance Readers e-proof copy from publishers HarperCollins UK. All opinions are my own and are impartial and free from bias.