Pieces of Her

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Karin Slaughter certainly knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat. Andrea Cooper visits a shopping mall with her mum Laura, a woman she thinks she knows well, but does she? When the trip turns into a fatal shooting Andy realises that she may not. Within 24 hours and after another incident, this time at her mum’s house, Andy takes a key to a storage unit her mum gives her and then heads to Idaho, where she is told to wait until it is safe for her to return. But who can she trust and who is her mum scared of? The book goes back to 1986 when Laura was in her twenties and involved in a terrorist group and runs alongside Andy trying to piece her mother’s life together. Thank you NetGalley and Harper Collins for letting me review this book.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A stand alone from the usual Sara and Will series I was a bit nervous but I needn’t have worried. It was well read, interesting and just brilliant.
Great book once again from Karin Slaughter.  Terrific characters as always.  I do enjoy her standalone books so much.
I cannot find sufficient superlatives to express the extent to which I have enjoyed this book. The story begins in 2018 with an enthralling hostage situation evolving into mayhem and carnage. Only two chapters in and the reader is thrust into a complex situation attempting to differentiate between whether we have witnessed the retaliation of a witness in a life or death situation or the reactions of a trained assassin. Mother and daughter, previously living a sheltered life in ambiguity are thrust into the limelight of news headlines and infamy. The story then moves back in time to 1986 when a series of events sheds light on the actions of the protagonist and subsequent mysterious events  involving friends and familyThis book has numerous twists and turns. Second guessing what is to follow is impossible. Three dimensional characters drawn into a web of intrigue and murder. The writer moves through time adding various dimensions to this story with no let up on heightened tension, enlightenment and gradual exposure of secrets and human frailties to an explosive conclusion.  To give this book 5 stars does not do it justice. Every chapter a cliffhanger. If only the story could be transferred to the silver screen. But then who could play the characters drawn with such intensity and accuracy by Karin Slaughter that we the reader can see, feel and anticipate their actions and reactions. This book , in fact every page and chapter was a total joy to read from start to end. I loved it.
Karen slaughter has reached hights far above the normal standard with this book and sets the bar very high for other writers of  psychological thrillers I won't bore you with the blurb you can get this of the likes of Amazon and I don't won't to give any spoilers I'll just say it's a brilliant read that grips you from the start to the end so get reading it you know you won't to
I’m really not sure about this book. I didn’t know what was going on a lot of time, probably my fault as I tend to read a chapter or two and not get back to it for a couple of days,  by which time I’d forgotten who was who. Once I did get into the story it became compelling reading.
It’s certainly worth a go, but I would suggest continuous reading to make the most of the story and it’s characters.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgally for the opportunity to read and review.
I was so looking forward to reading this book and am now so disappointed I wasted my time.  The book is awful, the characters are unbelievable, the storyline even more unbelievable and the story is boring.  It jumps around all over the place, and to be honest isn't interesting.  Sadly I didn't give up and feel like I have just wasted part of my life.   I have read all but one of Karin Slaughter's books and am now going to take some convincing to read another one.
Thank you NetGalley and the publishers for letting me have a copy of this book as I think if I'd bought it I would be even more disappointed. .
If I could give it zero stars I would.
I have also posted my review on Amazon as Stowv55
The book starts off with Andrea and her mother taking lunch in a cafe when a gun man comes in and shoots 2 people.  He’s going to shoot Andrea but her mother steps in and saves her killing the man by grabbing his knife and slicing his throat. and getting injured herself.   All this makes Andrea question who her mother is.

After they are home from the hospital another man breaks in and Andra ends up killing him.   Her mother send hers on the run giving her a location to lock up garage where Andrea finds a car and lots of money.

The story then splits and goes back a few years and it focuses on a group of young people being questioned about the murder of their father.  You find out later in the book their significance and who they are now when Andrea is on the run.

It took me a while to get into this book and realise who the people were in past and present.  But I’m glad I persevered it’s definitely worth reading.
Really enjoyed this - and how it was told from the perspective of both the mother and daughter and the different time frames.  The daughter was a little annoying - I can't see how a woman in her thirties could really be so dithery - maybe in her 20's but the way she was incapable of making a single decision was at times, a bit infuriating.  But nevertheless, a really good read and thoroughly enjoyed it.
As is often the case nowadays, what starts as a slightly sickly, mother-daughter story of modern woes (will she ever leave home? will she ever grow the littlest bit of back bone?) soon becomes darker. We shoot back in time to deal with politics, terrorism, murder. The story is suspenseful, intricately plotted, ludicrously readable. Despite the high stakes, the language is witty, often funny. If I didn't give it five stars it's only because truly, I never grew to care much about either of the main protagonists. But I'm sure it'll do brilliantly and deserves to.
I have to admit this book took awhile to get into and to follow who everyone was, but once established this fast paced book of murder,kidnap and revenge kept me hooked
The story starts in the here and now in a diner which suddenly becomes a war zone with bullets zinging everywhere I found myself ducking!
Then the story goes back to 1985 and you pick up a new story about a family of misfits with a very controlling father, you do need to follow carefully how Karin Slaughter interweaves the family and non family members as this is where it goes much quicker
However I thought the book had finished a number of times and was then shocked to keep reading on until the very end
If you love Karin Slaughter books as much as me this should be on your summer reading list
Karin Slaughter is a recent discovery for me and I have to admit, I spent most of this book not knowing what was going on and who was who. Everybody had the same name and it wasn’t until quite close to the end that my brain began to work it out.
It is well written and a clever story, in the way it all comes together at the end, although it does have a slightly improbable plot, but I spent so much time not knowing who was who, that it spoilt the enjoyment for me.
I thought this book was fantastic, I loved the two different timelines telling there stories together. Every chapter was like another cliff hanger encouraging you to read on to the next part of that story.

I found it interesting that the book showed how a few decisions can affect the rest of your life. Also how people can portray their lives and themselves however they choose even to the ones they love.

I really enjoyed this book and will keep an eye out for other books from this author.

This review has also been put on goodreads
Karin Slaughter continually blows my mind with each book as they just trap you in and almost force you to give up daily life till you have reached the end.
The writing is spectacular, the story is enthralling and you will not be disappointed!
Really struggled with this, I found the pace slow and the main character somewhat childish.  A shame as normally I enjoy Karin Slaughter books but this one wasn’t for me.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book.

Karin Slaughter you've done it again.  Absolutely fantastic i just love love love all the authors works i am the ultimate fan girls!! and this one does not disappoint!
This was my first Karin Slaughter book but it certainly won't be my last. Yes it was a bit far-fetched and a bit of a slow starter but the shifts in time, character perspectives and blood, guts and gore kept me on the edge of my seat. Thank you netgalley for the preview, I thoroughly enjoyed this wicked web of lies.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story! I do love a book told from different eras and this does exactly that - alternating chapters between 1986 and the present day. Slaughter writes a great suspense thriller and this doesn’t disappoint. The twist and revelation at the end finished the book superbly.

Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to read this book for free in exchange for my honest review.
It is a long time since I read a Karen Slaughter book but this book will result in me seeking her out in the future..
Many themes were explored along the route from Mother Daughter relationships to cult developments. A great read and even though you feel you know who is who quite early on it doesnt answer the why which keeps you hooked.
I loved this book.  Great characters, amazing plot line.  The flashbacks kept the tension going throughout.  Brilliant.