Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Preview
by Elizabeth Noble
4.08  ·
Rating details ·  1,292 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Did you ever have a secret you knew would change everything?

Tess's happy childhood memories are mostly of the grandmother who helped raise her. And now she has a secret to tell Iris - one which will turn so many lives upside down.

But how can you confide your future in someone who barely remembers her past?

Tess knows everything is about to change. What she doesn't know is that chance will lead her into the lives of two strangers - and uncover her grandmother's secret from the past.

A secret which will illuminate her own future . . .

An uplifting, unforgettable story about keeping secrets, taking chances and finding happiness where you least expect it.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book.I think I have read all of Elizabeth's book at this stage and they always deliver and this one is no exception.I really enjoyed this book a great read.
Thank you for the advance review copy, took me long enough but enjoyed reading it and would recommend!
The blurb got me, plus the cover is gorgeous. This was a delight to read with real characters and real life strugles. The family dynamics were very believable with real life situation. Loved it!
My 3 star review for this book which I read as Letters to Iris by Elizabeth Noble.

I enjoyed this book, which was the first I had read by Elizabeth Noble, but had been recommended it.  The characters in it were beautifully crafted and I really liked and empathised with Tess and Gig was a lovely lady that I would have liked to spend time with (not to mention her lovely son Olly!).  The weaving of the two stories together was cleverly done and kept the reader's attention.  However, for me, the book  felt a little too long and the ending was far too predictable.
Love, Iris is a family drama about two women Tess and Gigi, whose paths cross when meet in a care home where their relatives are resident.  Tess is newly pregnant and estranged from her partner and devoted to her grandmother who is slowly dying whilst Gigi, a midwife and mother to three grownup children is battling her own personal crisis.  This is a rich and warm  absorbing story about love and family and a perfect read for a winter's day.
A delightful read, start to finish, Emotionally charged yet gentle, with a well rounded, fulfilling conclusion. True to life on so many levels.
I have always enjoyed Elizabeth Noble’s Books, especially Things I Would Want my Daughters to Know and was so pleased that after a break of a few years, she is back, and this book certainly didn’t disappoint.  I became totally absorbed, couldn’t put it down and was left in tears at the end,  it is a story of two families and is told by Tess and Gigi.  Tess finds out that she is pregnant, totally unexpected, and doesn’t know if she wants to be with the father.  She also has a complex relationship with her mother and is heartbroken that her elderly grandmother is very ill.  Gigi, who has been married to Richard for years and has a grown up family, finds herself unsure whether she wants to continue with her marriage.  Both women have a lot of decisions to make and when they meet there is an instant bond.  This is a story of how they both resolve their lives.  It is a fantastic book, with brilliant characters.  It is a story of love, loss, friendships and life.  A lovely, heart warming book.  A must read!
Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin UK for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
I had high hopes for this novel after reading a few of the author’s previous novels and I wasn’t disappointed. This is a beautifully written, touching novel that made my insides ache. The characters are well written and I fell a little in love with them all. Tess is a great character, strong, a little feisty, yet vulnerable as well, especially when her boyfriend Sean is brutally honest about his plans for their future and the fact the baby she’s carrying is not part of it. Iris, Tess’s grandmother has dementia. The author writes about her will kindness and consideration. My grandmother had dementia and Iris reminded me a lot of her. I was completely absorbed in this book, in the character and the world they inhabited. Letters to Iris was a delight.
This book has been on my reading list for far too long, not because I didn't want to read it but because the subject matter frightens the heck out of me! The story centres around Iris, a dementia sufferer and her granddaughter Tess who has a secret and desperately needs a confidante. Along comes Gigi, a woman who is a little lost and embraces the chance to become Tess' friend. A suitcase full of Iris' letters give Tess some insight into her grandmother's former life and uncovers a family secret. I liked the relationships between the three women and how the book depicted every stage of life. It wasn't the harrowing read I expected, instead touching and enjoyable.
Another story of life well written and easy reading which I’d recommend to friends who enjoy things genre.  Observant writing of life’s journey.
Really liked this book, it flowed well and had wonderful characters,  It kept me turning the page at a good steady pace and I enjoyed the format of this being in letters.
An engrossing read centring on Iris and her family and Gina with her family. At first I couldn’t see how the two stories linked but that became clear later. An enjoyable story of the circle of life, families and relationships.
A beautifully written, heartwarming tale with wonderful characters. This book is so sad and yet so uplifting. A joy to read.
I do love a story about secrets and this was really well done. I felt lots of emotions but ultimately uplifted.  Thanks for the ARC.
Iris was a lady full of life and love who now resides in a nursing home, in the final throes of dementia. Her granddaughter Tess has seen her more as a mother than grandmother all of her life. Now Iris is there but not really there. Her relationship with her own mother while not fractious has always been lacking in closeness. Now Tess finds herself pregnant and alone and just wishes she could have Iris with her again. As she clears her grandmother's house she finds letters of a life that Iris led many years before that neither she nor her mother knew about. At the home where Iris now lives Tess meets Gigi, who visits her father in law. Her warmth and advice couldn't come at a better time for Tess, and despite her own worries they soon become friends and gradually, their lives and their families start to become interwoven.

I'll be honest this wasn't an instant hit for me. It took some getting into as I think I was expecting something a little different. But once I let go of my preconceptions it really started to pull me in. It's quite a predictable book, but then these types often are.  But it doesn't matter as it isn't meant to surprise you, it's meant to pull at those emotional heartstrings. If you've ever lost someone, been pregnant or just had a heart this will make you smile, laugh and of course ultimately shed a tear. A heartwarming novel that is well worth a read.
Sorry, I received an email promoting this book and accidently pressed to request it when I was not interested. My apologies. I have put 3/5 stars as I have to give a rating and do not wish to rate it too low or high.
I really enjoyed this book. I was moved to tears at times and became deeply invested in the characters. A poignant look at friendship and relationships, I defy you to read this without crying!
I received a digital ARC of #LettersToIris from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This has been on my "to-read" list for a couple of months now, and I have been putting off reading it if I'm honest. Not because I thought it would be rubbish, but because I knew it would particularly hard for me to read. My Grandad had dementia and sadly passed away in 2009. With Iris and James both having dementia, and the families having to deal with that and placing them in a care home etc. I knew this would be a book very much close to home. I was not wrong!

Within the first 20% of the book, I was crying my eyes out. The thoughts and feelings of the characters brought it all back to me again - and one point in the book even reminded me of something which I must have blocked out in my mind. Once I'd read it, it all came flooding back to me, and once the tears started, there was no stopping them. This is testament to the great writing of Elizabeth Noble. The research she must have done is evident in the writing of the most difficult scenes.

I was able to get through the rest of the book without crying, so thought I was doing quite well. Until I got to the final 10%. I had been anticipating the end right from the start but it was still so hard to read, and again transported me right back there with my Grandad. The comforting words that Gigi spoke to Tess near the end made the tears start again, as it made me think of that difficult time almost 9 years ago.

This was a very poignant and deeply moving book about friendship and relationships. The secret that Iris has kept with her all these years is truly awful, and is only discovered at a time when she is too ill to be questioned about it. I ended up highlighting a lot of passages in this book as they resonated a lot with me, and meant a lot to me. It has proved one thing to me though: I am definitely not emotionally ready to read "Still Alice" yet!! However, I would not hesitate to read more by Elizabeth Noble in the future.
I was really excited to read this novel, and I can confidently say that I was not disappointed!  Letters to Iris is a novel about secrets and pain, but also about love, family and hope.

We are introduced to the novels namesake, Iris, in the prologue.  We are given a brief insight into her teenage years, and that of her older brother Tom at a time when war was breaking out and conscription was being introduced. We then fast forward to present day, where we meet Tess, Iris's beloved granddaughter.

The novel focuses on both Tess, a young woman with a secret and an ailing grandmother,  and Gigi, a mother, grandmother and wife who has lost her purpose in life.  They each have their issues, but find their lives intertwining as a friendship blossoms between them.

I'm a bit worried about giving too much away in this review, so am keen not to say too much.  What I will say though is that the stories of Tess and Gigi are beautifully woven together, and I genuinely enjoyed following their stories.  I also loved the way Iris's story, an elderly woman who had begun to lose her battle with life, was delicately threaded through the novel.  There are heartbreaking moments throughout, in both the contemporary and historic parts of the story.  This isn't just a story of secrets and loss though; it is also a story of love, family and hope.  There is light even in the moments of darkness, and that is one of the things that I loved about this novel.

I am delighted to be able to recommend this lovely novel - I hope that you'll read it and let me know what you think!

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for providing me with a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.