The Blame Game

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This is a psychological thriller. A story about the aftermath of a tragedy
This explores survivor guilt, family ties whilst also offering a mystery element
This is an utterly compelling read
The Blame Game by C. J. Cooke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the moment I turned on my e-reader, I was totally absorbed in this book! I loved that it was written from the perspective of different characters who find out that maybe they didn't know each other as well as they first thought. The Blame Game was a powerful and very suspenseful story with increasingly surprising twists and turns. Set in Belize, it was an atmospheric family drama with a great psychological thriller element and a story about the aftermath of a tragedy that affected the lives of all those involved.

Often an emotional read, the author, C J Cooke, explored themes of survivor guilt and responsibility, individual personalities and family ties. The intriguing mystery kept me turning the pages throughout. I fully immersed myself in this one, following avidly as it moved towards an evocative finale, The Blame Game was character driven and hugely fascinating, making it an utterly compelling read.

This is an addictive, fast-paced and creepy psychological thriller that I highly recommend.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from HarperCollins UK/ HarperFiction via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I had such high hopes for this book, as I loved the author’s thriller debut, ‘I know my name’, which I rated a well deserved 5stars.
Sadly, this book did not live up to my expectations. The concept is a great one, Helen and Michael are on holiday in Belize when a car accident occurs. Their daughter, Saskia, is seriously ill,  Michael goes missing and Helen is left to cope with their son who has autism and is struggling to manage with the change in routine. What does the tragic events, which brought the couple together 20 years ago, have to do with this current incident?
The book goes back and forth in time, revealing more about what happened 20 years ago. It is narrated by Helen and Michael.
My problem with the book is that one has to dispel belief too many times, about what happened 20 years ago and about the current day events.  Unfortunately this book just was not for me.
I will read more by CJ Cooke as I love her style of writing and ‘I Know My Name’ was such an amazing book that I have such faith in her as an author I will return to her.
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Really enjoyed this book! A page turner for sure !! Will definitely be reading more from this author!
Whilst it had a fantastic premise, I found this thriller hard to follow and at times had to go back to remind myself who was talking and at what period of time it was happening. I did however love the twists and turns throughout and loved the way it unfolded. A great holiday read that I’ll be recommending for customers looking for something to read in the sun (or on a mountain!)
C. J. Cooke is one of my favourite authors so I always look forward to a new book from her and I’m happy to say her latest book was fab! It follows a family who are on what seems to be a dream holiday but odd things start to happen. They feel they are being watched, and something just isn’t quite right. Then on their way home an accident happens and from there things begin to unravel. The novel is told in two timelines – the present day and then 22 years ago when Helen and Michael met and a tragedy befell their group. I was equally hooked on both timelines and was desperate to find out how these two events were connected. It’s a thrilling read, and a real page turner. I think what I loved most though was that at its heart it’s a novel about why we keep the secrets we do, and the power they can have over us when perhaps things might have been different if we’d not kept quiet at the time. I love books that are thrilling but also give me pause for thought and this book certainly did both! I recommend it!
A family thriller with a few clever twists along the way, a bit too predictable for me.... but someone else could love it...
Well, a very different book, which I read in the course of one day! The story is told from the perspective of Helen and Michael in 2017 but with flashbacks to 1995. What happens in 1995 dictates the rest of Helen and Michael's lives. It impacts on Reuben, their autistic son and Saskia, their young daughter, It is fascinating that because they did not deal with what happened in 1995 there are serious consequences and a lack of honesty. They seem to spend their lives running from themselves.
Many thanks to Netgalley/C.J. Cooke/Harper Collins for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
Michael and Helen don't talk about what happened 22 years ago. They don't need to, they've gotten on with their lives. But what happens when their lives have fallen apart and it feels like their past is coming back to haunt them?

I liked the concept of this book more than the execution. While the twists were good, I didn't really warm to the characters and by the end of the book I was just reading to see what happened but not with any real passion for the story.
Overall this is a good read. There is a lot of suspense and action and shocks thrown in. Not everything is as it seems which makes parts of this a gripping read. My problem with the book is why did Michael and Helen run after the tragedy on the mountain. If it genuinely happened the way they said it did I do not see why they felt the need to run.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
A tense and well written novel.

The moment I read the blurb I knew this was something that I really wanted to read. The story itself is well executed and the characters are interesting and full of life.
I would recommend this for sure!
I'm sorry to say I simple couldn't get into this one. I found the voices difficult to connect to, and couldn't feel compelled to read on. That said, the concept is good and I do think people will like this book. Just a preference thing for me. Thank you for my advanced copy, and I would still check out future books by this author, having read their debut novel and enjoying it in the past.
Not really sure about this book, can't decide whether I like it or not and it did take me a while to get into it.

This is purely my own opinion as I am sure many readers will love it but I am not sure whether I will read more from this author.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK for giving me the opportunity to read this book.