Unlocking German with Paul Noble

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A very useful book. I wanted to refresh my German and I found this book very useful.
It's recommended to whoever want to learn some German or refresh their knowledge.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I have always loved languages, but any attempt at learning on my own has failed dismally.  Having spent time studying this amazing German book from Collins, I now realise why.  All other tutorials quite simply don't approach learning in the way this one does, and I wish I had found this system many years ago.  One of my best friends is German so this is a language I have tried learning many times over the years, failing dismally every time.  Within my second day of working on this book I was surprising them with my new knowledge!

The author begins by demystifying a language that, to the untrained ear, sounds completely unlike English, but he shows us that in fact the languages share a great deal in common.  He then tells us exactly how we need to use this book and is very precise about this, in that if you are to be successful, you must follow the rules absolutely vigorously - no peeking at the bits you are supposed to cover up while working through a passage, and no skipping ahead.  I can testify that doing either of these things will scupper your chance of learning.  Whereas if you follow the rules, you will definitely be surprised, nay shocked, at how much you learn, how quickly, and how it all seems so glaringly obvious, you will, like me, wonder where this technique has been all your life!

Having said this, please don't think that this is a complicated system of learning, far from it, it is intuitive, makes perfect sense, with no attempt being required to remember swathes of vocabulary.  Each section builds on the previous and therefore grammatical rules and words you have encountered will reappear in such a way that they become really familiar and you realise that suddenly, this foreign language is no longer so foreign.

This book guides you through not only spelling and comprehension but also sentence structure and punctuation.  There is nothing left to chance.  I have tried so many language learning systems over my far too many years and can categorically say that this is system is in a completely different league to anything I've tried before.  It is not just incredibly effective, but you learn in such a relaxed way that it feels effortless.

So if you want to learn German easily, in a way that will stick, I can't recommend this book highly enough.  You will even learn what a German means when they tell you they don't have tomatoes on their eyes! When I read that I rang my German friend to complain that they had never told me about it before!

I believe this system is available in other languages too, so I will definitely be seeking them out.
An awesome book, easy to read, understand and follow. I love learning languages and will definitely use this to improve my language skills!
This is the perfect book for those who want to learn German. It keeps everything simple and focuses on you learning words as opposed to simply memorising them.I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning German.
Indeed, a very unique way of learning the complex language that German is. As someone who identifies as I-have-been-studying-this-language-for-twelve-years-and-I-still-struggle, this book is very helpful and very nice constructed!
Book is a practical guide of how to learn a spoken language in a fun , non tiring way. And can we just stop and appreciate how aesthetically pleasing this book is, it makes you want to keep studying.
This is the perfect book for those who want to learn German. It keeps everything simple and understandable and truly focuses on you learning words as opposed to simply memorising them. Perfect gift!
Für einen Muttersprachler mutet der Versuch, jemandem auf einfache Art und Weise deutsch lernen zu vermitteln, vielleicht etwas lustig an  - aber die Herangehensweise ist sowohl charmant als auch überzeugend. Die Hinweise zur Aussprache brachten mich zum grinsen, aber alles in allem ist es wirklich ein tolles Buch, jemandem die Angst vor der "schweren Sprache" zu nehmen und den Anfang leicht zu machen. Perfektion ist anders, aber dafür macht es so mehr Spaß - und ist nicht ganz so steif-deutsch ;o)
Let me start by saying that I have wanted to learn German for a while as I love Germany and have many German friends who I would like to be able to talk to in their mother tongue. Paul Noble knows exactly how to get you engaged and absorbing information rapidly. This book is miraculous! I have read plenty of books that tout themselves as being the one book that can teach you the language in a very short amount of time. Up until I read "Unlocking German with Paul Noble" I have not found any of them lived up to my expectations or their claims. Here, Noble truly has you learning by methods I have never seen before and, most importantly, they work!

If you are looking to learn a language you cannot go wrong with these books from Collins. I can't recommend this highly enough. As it says in the synopsis, even if you struggled at languages in school or find it difficult to learn or remember what you have been taught this is the perfect title for you! Absolutely brilliant!

Many thanks to Collins for an ARC. I was not required to post a review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Fabulous book for those learning German and struggling to grasp the finer points! Well structured and easy to follow; I highly recommend this book.