Aphra's Child

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I picked this book up 3 times, and struggled through it. Although there was plenty to like, I'm sorry to say it just didn't work for me.

The writing style felt uneven and awkward, with strange choices of slang and naming.

It had a slow pace, which isn't an automatic fail in my opinion, but there has to be a good reason for it. It just didn't further develop the texture of the story in any way.

Overall, the worldbuilding was lacking in context and detail. It didn't feel full developed.

I did like the concept and development of themes in the plot. And the characters were well rounded and compelling.

Unfortunately, Aphra's Child fell short of my expectations and I didn't particularly enjoy it.
Lesley Glaister is, in my opinion, another under-read author. Having enjoyed some of her adult fiction I was keen to try Aphra’s child, her first YA read.
Tula is a Chimera, and when her world falls apart, she is forced to make the long journey to the city to find help.
‘Darkly magical’ tends to compensate for a lot of missing elements in fiction and helps to suspend disbelief, but for me, a much bigger dollop was required here.
The simplicity of the message became tiresome, and I suspect YA readers might enjoy more adventure and more obvious flirtations.
Thanks to NetGalley and Stirling Publishing
A wonderful tale. A rich, dark, imaginative world described so brilliantly as to feel real. The characters range from warm and engaging to chiilingly dark and are all very human, even when they aren't. The plot is fast paced and exciting, gathering momentum as it leads you along to a conclusion which hopefully leaves plenty of scope for the story to continue in further books. There are moments of levity and despair throughout, making a rollercoaster of a read. The kind of fantasy a reader dreams of, timeless, exciting, draws you in from the beginning and leaves you wanting more.
Tula has spent the first sixteen years of her life with just her human mother and has no knowledge of her father. She does know however, that he must be chimera, like her. Her world changes abruptly, with the kidnap of her mother and she must leave the safety of their hidden home in the mountains,, to go and seek the truth.
Her journey takes her to the City, which is a city on edge and planning a mass ‘cleansing’ of chimera and their kind. The more time she spends there, she realises she must also possess the secret knowledge that her mother never shared with her, but will she ever discover the secret and how will she survive in the city, which looks set to hunt down her kind.
This is a good example of young adult fantasy writing with just enough intrigue and suspense and a hint of romance, fluttering around its edges. As an adult, I enjoyed the story and would look for a sequel, to see what happened next. The main character is strong, if a little naive.
Thank you NetGalley and Stirling Publishing for providing me with a copy for review.

Aphra's Child follows the protagonist, Tula, whose world is threatened when her mother, Aphra, is taken and she is left alone. Tula is a chimera, someone who is treated as a slave by their society, so her mother has been protecting her all her life and keeping her safe from marauders and people who wish to do her harm. Aphra is taken the day that she was finally going to give Tula some of the answers that she most desperately seeks about who she is, her place in the world, and who her father is, leaving Tula alone and confused.

This was a good novel and I enjoyed the fantasy elements. I have only ever seen chimeras have passing mentions or small roles in media so it was nice to see a different take on them and to read about them in more detail. I love fantasy and it is my favourite genre, but it can get repetitive at times and this novel really pushed those boundaries and felt different.

It was a really easy book to read due to its fast paced nature and nice reading style and the characters were well written, especially Tula who was a great character to read about. It is a very promising book with a nice message to remain true to yourself and one I would definitely recommend.
A Light, Refreshing Very Well Made Story. Loved Tula's Character. It Was Well Written And Would Definitely Pick Up Lesley Glaisters Work For My Shelves Also Would Recommend This Novel.
I received this EBook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Overall the book was nicely done and I love what the concept of the book was about. There was a definite moral of the story value to it with the main character being true to herself instead of changing to please society and fit in. I appreciated that very much. Also the human vs. chimera issues shadowed what life was once like in the US.

Though there are a lot of grammatical errors, I found it to be an easy and quick read and enjoyed it very much.

Overall rating: 3.5
This book really gives me things to think about. I like the writing style and the world, so like ours yet completely different at the same time.

I read this book quite quickly because I found it so easy to get through.
This... Is a middling sort of book. It has a lovely idea, that of human/animal chimeras living alongside humanity, hated and misunderstood, and draws parallels to racism and classism in today's society. It takes a fantastical idea, the supernatural of a chimera, and places it in a mundane world, a world without magic inherent. The experience of the chimera was well executed, but a little heavy handed. The obvious analogy to race was a little blunt.
However, I enjoyed the concept.
Petula, the protag, is meant to be a naive sixteen. Which, in some senses, I could feel. However she comes across as not just naive, but absolutely guileless and ignorant, and I was hard pressed to imagine her as a young adult, as she was written to appear more like a twelve year old, a much younger child.
I feel like the author wanted to create a dystopian society, a novel of intrigue, and a fantasy novel all at once, and I don't feel that it was wholly achieved. I would have preferred the author stick to and fully flesh out one of the concepts; and it would have provided a richer reading experience.
I did however finish the book, which is kind of a chimera Handmaid's Tale - a society that uses and abuses chimeras rather than women, ripe with corruption. I would not however read a sequel. I just felt unfulfilled during the course of the novel, and kept wishing the author had taken another look over her final draft to really tighten it up and make the actual prose shine a little more.
My recommendation? Read it on kindle unlimited or if its free or 99p. Otherwise, give it a miss.
I was a little hesitant at first because of the limited description but this book was amazing. Lots of times authors want us to believe a character is innocent and sheltered  but then make them hip and knowledgeable but Tula was neither of those. It was refreshing and made the story much more believable. I would 100% recommend this novel
Thank you to Stirling Publishing. for the arc of this book.
I enjoyed this book, it was a nice easy light read.