The Queen's Wing (The Queen's Wing Series Book 1)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Dec 2018

An absolute incredible beginning to a world of fantasy and magic. The Queen's Wing was great and I cannot wait to read more!
Those of you who have been following my reviews know that I'm a sucker for strong female characters and it's always refreshing to be able to find books that have such a character in the genre that I read.

Bel is the strong female character, born of a people that I imagined to resemble that of the Amazons. Through the trials she went through and the losses, she was able to focus on the important matter at hand in the time of war instead of collapsing into a heaping pile of tears and whining. I loved her character, she was indeed a queen.

Conleith is a good character, as well, but I didn't read enough to gather much about him except for what the summary of this book tells.

The world was intriguing and I wish there was more time spent on detailing the world a bit more. The overall plot was extremely well done. It was engaging enough despite the steady, almost borderline slow build up, but ended with a series of actions and consequences to make you want to read the next book immediately after. I'm really looking forward to it!
I was not able to get to this book in time. I had some family issues arise and now it feels too late to add anything new to the conversation.

Thank you for the opportunity to review. I greatly appreciate the chance to review any advanced copies that I receive.
excellent read. I am definitely interested in book two. Looks like a great start to an enjoyable series!
This is the first book I’ve read by Jessica Thorne. And I absolutely fell in love with the story and the characters! I’m so happy there is going to be a second one! I will definitely read it!
Hi
Sorry but I did not get to read this one before it was withdrawn. I am in college now and have less time than I previously did.
This book was amazing. A blend of The Selection and Skyward. I loved every single minute. I went through all the emotions right alongside Bel. I felt I was right here with her.  Another fictional friend to add to my list.

A well written book, a great narrative and wonderfully thought out and life like characters! Can’t wait for the next.
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. It is a very engaging fantasy novel. The characters are very amazing and the setting is marvelously detailed. I felt like I was long for the ride with Bel through it all. She has to make a lot of decisions between loyalty to her heart, her homeland and the alliance that she has been sent to form. It takes a close call with death to make her rethink what she has to do. If you want to know what she decides or how it goes grab a copy for yourself. I am waiting for book 2.
A STANDALONE high fantasy, you say?
Great writing? Not really no.
Interesting plot? Predictable but fun.
Character Development? Not much
Good Characters? Some were good, I wasn't the biggest fan of the main character
Romance? Yes (Not the best, but not the worst)
World building? Not as much as I'd like
GUILTY PLEASURE? Yes.

While reading my assessments above, you may think, why is she giving it 4 stars? It's hard to say this book deserves 4 stars, but nevertheless I ranked it based on my enjoyment. I love fantasy and although I will admit it's not a great book, I enjoyed it and it was a fun ride.
If you're looking for a fun, quick, fantasy read, I would recommend!
(received an ARC copy of The Queen’s Wing from NetGalley – in exchange, this is my honest review)

3.5 out 5 stars

May include mild spoilers.

THE QUEEN’S WING by Jessica Thorne tells the story of Bel, an unlucky daughter to a man who unfortunately acquires the throne to her home planet, through ill-fated means.

Bel sets herself apart as a duty-driven fighter with passions that leave her wanting more from her life. Faced with the hardest decision of her life, Bel stands up and does her duty, which is to be shipped off and married to a man she’s never met. Automatically, she’s set apart from other YA heroines, who tend to run from the line of duty. Sometimes duty isn’t all bad, right?

Except for the fact that we’re also introduced to a love triangle. Now, to be completely honest with you, I’m a sucker for a good love triangle. I loved Cassandra Clare’s ‘The Infernal Devices’ trilogy, and so far, it is probably one of the best I’ve read. Initially, I wasn’t too fond of the romantic relationship between Bel and Shae, though I do have to admit: Jessica Thorne did the love triangle well! I was honestly surprised with the direction that it took that I no longer hated the relationship but rather liked it, especially after what happens in the book. I will admit that I WAS a die-hard Con fan, so I will have to say that his introduction was PERFECT.

By the way, if you’re looking for a male character that doesn’t fit the whole ‘tall, dark and brooding’ stereotype, then look no further! Con is amazing! That’s all I have to say.

We’re also immediately introduced to the world in chapter one, and it isn’t as mind boggling as one might believe. Jessica Thorne does a well-rounded job at familiarising us with this world in the first chapter without over doing it, or completely confusing the hell out of us. The politics is easily lain out for the reader, and Thorne doesn’t confuse us with overly wordy political systems and world building, which I’m glad for, because there is so much going on in this book. Not only is it fantasy, but it has heavy sci-fi influence that gives the world a more… interesting approach.

I loved the concept of this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed the world building. The world building in itself is what had me hooked, because it was so… different. I enjoyed the plot, too. I honestly wasn’t too sure what to expect. There were times where I could see certain things coming, and other times where I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, I wasn’t expecting what happened about halfway through the book, and it made me SAD. Which was totally unexpected.

Finishing this book, I found the ending to be very… slow. The first half of the book was great; given the amount of time I initially had to read the book, I flew through the first half and really enjoyed the world-building and the characters, and then all of a sudden, the book slowed down and what was supposed to be tension building scenes turned into anti-climactic dribble. I enjoyed the book a lot, but I found myself unable to get into the second half of the book, and because of that, I was considering DNF’ing the whole thing, which is something I didn’t want to do considering it’s my first read of the year. BUT, once I hit that remaining 10-15% mark, I was engrossed in the story once again. And I loved it. I finished the book happy and quickly after hitting that point, which is why I can happily upload this review without incident (or DNF’ing it).

I’m going to be honest: I did not set my expectations high with this one. It’s the first book I’m properly reviewing, and it’s the first book I’ve been sent by NetGalley/a publisher, so I’m still new at this, and I didn’t want to let my expectations get the better of me. Was I surprised by this read? Totally. I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would, though I will have to mention that I read a great proportion of the book while sick in bed. I just wonder if I’ll get around to the sequel or not. We’ll see.
This is a YA novel that is part fantasy part sci-fi.  This story starts out on the planet Valarian . The people there are military based , with an extensive military and females can be trained for combat. Our main character Bel is 17 and wants nothing but to fly with the military like her Mother before she passed away. and her older brothers. who are soldiers.  But Bel is in a noble family and destined to be married off eventually. Her governess tries her best to teach her the proper etiquette and decorum but Bel wants to spend her time flying her Wasp ( small airship)  and training
    A hostile invasion of the planet sees the Royal family executed and  her Father is declared King and she a Princess  and her bothers Princes. . She becomes a pawn in the politics to forge a new Alliance with another planet and she sent to marry the leader of that planet. The Alliance is needed to stop the Gravians from taking all the natural resources of the planets.
    I loved this novel . It is full of action !!! There is a love triangle, of course , but it was handled surprisingly well.. The world building is good and the descriptions were vivid and clear. I became immersed in the worlds and the battles , the romance and the politics . The end was EPIC !!! I am looking forward to the next installment .

****This eBook was provided by Netgalley for an honest review. ****
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Steampunk space opera is how I’d describe this book. It was a coming of age book for the strong female heroine who suddenly finds herself in a position of power and is being used as pawn to secure relationships between planets. It’s action packed right off the start. There’s murder, mayhem, romance, fantasy, political agendas, mystery....it’s got a bit of everything for everyone.

I really enjoyed it and I can’t wait to read the next one!
I love that she wants to pilot and fly. I tried to love this book I really did. But honestly I was burned out halfway through and it took forever to finish it.

This story had good intentions but overall just didn’t grip me like Six of Crows or Sarah J Maas it any YA book period. Solid 2/5 stars.
This book was okay. The world building was great, but so much happened in the first chapter it was a little much.  I had a hard time to connect to the main character and when he came into the story, the love interest. He was not so interesting in my opinion. And everyone who knows me knows I loathe love triangles... This book does attempt this and it's bad...

I can see other's liking this book, it is space operatic with a lot of plot. I just prefer my story's a bit more slow paced and my characters more nuanced. I hope this happens more in book 2.
"The world building was a strong part of the story which I found to be an original concept but it would have been much more if more description went into the world. The book mentions the places and the names with a tidbit of information. The characters are the part of the story which held much of my interest. Bel's character gives off an inspirational and badass vibe but that vibe feigned in and out throughout the story. There were times where she became boring to read.

I did not have a problem with the love triangle, but I just wished if the book did not lean so heavily on that romance. Its nice and all but I would have much preferred to read a little more about Bel schooling her male peers in piloting. The writing is simple and easy to read. The pacing is fair except with Bel's character which I mentioned above. Overall, this is will not be the first, of the top of my head, book that I will recommend to others but it will be in my lingering thoughts."

Ditto.
Wonderfully original, a vivid, visceral setting and immersive characterization. My only problem is that all but one twist in the book I was able to anticipate from the moment the author introduced the setup. This did not detract from my enjoyment of the tale, but it did make the book feel somewhat predictable. That having been said, I very much look forward to the sequel.
I absolutely loved the idea of this book,  but unfortunately that’s about it. I am not saying that this book is bad, it’s not, it’s a great book with a seriously intriguing premise that I know a lot of people will love, I may even reread it in the future but at this point in time the book is not holding my attention.
Bel becomes the only Vairian princess after an attack on her homeland's capital, and she is sent to a far-away planet to marry its king in order to secure an alliance. But Bel never wanted to be royalty; in fact, she wanted her royal ties forgotten so she could fly her Wasp and have the chance to be with Shae, the boy she's had a crush on since childhood. But upon arriving on Anthaeus, the king (called the Anthaem) is not anything like she expected, and she finds her heart torn between her new love for the land and its people and the life she desperately wanted. Con and Bel are two kids who had too much responsibility thrust on them at a young age, and they do what they can to shoulder the burden. I loved their reservations and insecurities, and the way they learned to rely on each other. I liked that it was slow-burn and not insta-love, and that they had to be diligent in making their relationship work. I loved the Rondet and the way their interactions worked. I haven't read much sci-fi but I definitely enjoyed this mix of it with fantasy. I can't wait to read the next book!
I loved this so much, from page one I was hooked. I loved Bel so much, at the beginning when she gave into demands and didn't fight back I didn't think it sat well with her character but she holds her own and fights in her own way, feisty and stubborn I loved her. Love triangle wasn't too bad as it sorts itself out and isn't too drawn out, but I loved Shae dammit !! Damn you ! Cannot wait for the sequel.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest review