Little Darlings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I felt that this was a well written book with an eerie storyline. At no point did the book let my interest go wandering, I was intrigued to find out the truth behind the mysterious stranger...and there is the sad part...as well as it was written, I didn't really get any sense of completeness or closure at the end of the book...if this was deliberate, then I've missed the point. Still a very readable debut.
I thought this book was ok. I didn't love it nor did I hate it. I couldn't easily work out if it was meant to be based on folklore, mental health or ghostly horror. It's obvious that the lead character was suffering from some sort of post partum breakdown but the book was heavy on the folklore so I was unsure. But it's worth a read.
Little Darlings by Melanie Gould is a very clever mix of psychological thriller with a supernatural/fairy tale twist. It starts as a tale of a potential infant abduction from a hospital. But fears are unfounded...or are they?

This turns into a haunting and occasionally chilling rework of the changeling fairytale. But how much is fiction? Are the fears unfounded? Like the shadow at the corner of your eye, as soon as you glimpse, the threat is gone. And yet you know there’s something there. That’s how these tales have lasted for centuries; who knows where the truth lies?

This is a slow burn take, but it had me hooked from the beginning and kept me reading. I think it’s a cracker.

My thanks to the publisher for a review copy via Netgalley.
Good god i maybe shouldn’t have read this book so soon after having a baby!!!

What a cracking read it was so scary and tense and just frightening to be honest and I bloody loved it; even though it also scared me daft!

Lauren had newborn twins Riley and Morgan and on the maternity ward she swears she sees a witch type person come and try and take them and swap them for other babies who look exactly the same as hers.

Everyone says she’s exhausted and imagining it, but is she?

All I’ll say is I didn’t dare take my own eyes off my baby for a second, seriously creeped me out and that takes A LOT....read the book if you want to be up all night!
This unsettling and bewitching tale soon had me under its spell. I must admit to initially feeling a little bit disappointed that it wasn’t the conventional psychological thriller that I thought it was going to be. However, I soon got over that as the nightmarish situation drew me in and I had to keep reading to find out where it was all leading.

I’m very interested in the origins of, and dark side to, fairy tales so I found the folklore passages fascinating. Lauren’s situation felt real and terrifying and I found myself questioning along with her what was real and what wasn’t.

I’d recommend this to anyone who likes chilling stories with a supernatural element.
You would never, ever guess this is a first novel. Ripe to be made into a movie, this book had me hooked from the beginning. Fantastically written, I loved how a folklore was woven through the modern story, and how the writer had really identified those feelings most new mums feel. Fantastic.
Sadly not for me, seemed a little slow to get going and didn't hold my attention.
I had high hopes for this one and it seemed to have all the ingredients I enjoy so no idea why I couldn't get into it. Nothing wrong with the writing and other people really seem to have enjoyed it.
What a disturbing creepy story.....loved it!   This book had my attention from the first page, and I couldn't put it down. What a really disturbing story that grips your imagination, in a very scary way. Looking forward to more from this author.
Lauren is convinced someone is planning to abduct her newborn twins, so when they go missing it seems her fears were justified. But when the twins are found, Lauren is convinced they’re not hers. Have they been swapped for changelings like she believes, or is Lauren suffering from postpartum psychosis? Is she the only one who can save the babies, or is she the one who’s putting them in danger? A chilling page-turner that will keep you guessing.
Little Darlings is a haunting chilling thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It is  dark faiiy tale set in modern times. Prepare for a disturbing read that will have you looking out of the corner of your eye just in case.

Lauren has just given birth to twins. She is alone in the maternity ward in the middle of the night and becomes convinced someone is trying to steal her babies. Locking herself in the bathroom she phones the police in desperation.. They arrive and all seems fine.

The next morning DS Joanna Harper looks at the list of overnight incidents and sees a report of an attempted abduction. Although it is flagged as a false alarm Harper isn't so sure and goes to visit the Lauren. Nothing backs up her story apart from a fleeting shadow on the CCTV but Lauren is convinced the woman was there and her babies are still in danger.

After leaving the hospital Lauren refuses to go out locking herself and her babies in her room sure this woman will steal them.

Everyone has heard of changelings in fairy tales. The fairy mother who steals the human babies and leaves a changeling in return. This book is the modern version of this story. Lauren knows that the woman is ready to take her children but no one will believe her. She knows she must not sleep or the babies might be gone. The story unfolds in a dramatic fashion. The chilling story grips you and will not let you go until you finish it. Even when it ends you are still left in a world where fairy tales might be real, looking out of the corner of your eye and wondering.

A must read book
I am a huge fan of thriller, detective and suspense novels. I also adore fantasy elements, which this book incorporated fantastically.
Right from the very beginning, this novel creates a sense of unease and suspense. Even when Lauren meets her twin sons, I felt myself waiting for something to happen.
Throughout the novel are excerpts of folk tales, fairy-tales, rhymes and so on relating to changelings. So naturally, you expect something to happen within this area. It made it so much more exciting, like you are always waiting for something bad to happen.
What I especially liked about this novel was that it really blurred the lines between reality and fantasy or even the supernatural. I don't want to ruin this for anyone who may read it, but the ending is somewhat open. It leaves space for your own interpretation; though certain things are strongly hinted at. All throughout the novel there is an ongoing debate as to whether the 'case' of Lauren Tranter is an actual criminal case, or simply a mental health case. I found this super intriguing.
Overall, this was a great book. The ending could be seen as somewhat unfulfilling, but I liked how it left some things to the readers' own imagination. 4 out of 5 stars!
Lauren is convinced that someone is trying to take her new born twin boys, leaving her with changelings.  But are her fears justified or is she suffering from hallucinations and post natal depression?
A decent read but I guessed the outcome quite early on.
My thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for this copy
I was on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book but really frustrated by the open ending! Otherwise it's a brilliant story that will send chills down your spine...
I was really looking forward to this book but found it a hard slog and although I enjoyed it more as it went along it didn’t live up to my expectations.
This book started out quite slowly , but creepy in places it turned out to be an excellent read. Recommended !
I’d not heard of the author before, but love most crime/police thrillers and the blurb sounded enticing on this one, so was looking forward to giving it a read.

I found the book quite sinister in parts with a great opening and it moved at quite a pace.
It was easy to sympathise with the mother Lauren and DS Harper is also an interesting character although nothing particularly new or different to other detective characters.

Read the book over the course of a couple of days and enjoyed it – some good twists and turns and kept up the tension well to the climax.  Not quite good enough for five stars as a rating, but a really solid 4.

Will be keeping an eye open for further books from this author!
Ohhh I loved this book. It did take me a little while to get into the story but once I did it had me entranced. Folklore about twins?......
Lauren has had a difficult birth with twin boys and while in hospital she swears a creepy, smelly lady was trying to abduct them. At home she refuses to leave the house, making various excuses to her (non helping) husband but one day she finally decides to go out and something happens.

I really didn’t know how this would play out...postpartum psychosis or changelings?
You can make up your own mind in this creepy story with supernatural elements. 4 1/2 stars for being something completely different to what I’ve read in a while.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy to read.
3.5
i thought i was going to give up on this one, was very slow at the start and a little boring, but towards the end it got much better and faster.
I really liked this book, as it's open to interpretation, different readers will have varied opinions on this one, and it would be a good book for a book club to debate.
In places the writing was slow, but the amiguity made up for it in my opinion.
OK, this is not your typical run of the mill psychological thriller, I would say it is not a psychological thriller at all. It has elements of fairy tales, supernatural and the reality of mental illnesses. It is certainly creepy and forces you into asking yourself questions on what is real and what isn't.

The inspiration is a fairy tale about a mother whose twins are exchanged for changelings, a truly terrifying prospect. Lauren has just has twins, she is obviously very tired and distressed with the birth and having the responsibility of looking after two little babies. But she starts seeing things, hearing voices and starts to believe that a woman is after her babies.

In the picture there is also Patrick, Lauren's husband who is not really sympathetic and as you discover later in the book not that trustworthy.
There is also a woman detective who seems to believe Lauren and a few other minor characters. But the spotlight is definitely on Lauren and her babies. And the mystery woman.

Overall a very good book that deals with a difficult topic like PPD although you are never sure if Lauren is suffering from it or there is something more at play. Maybe the mystery woman is real and it is a supernatural thriller or maybe it is not and it just a book of contemporary fiction. It does not happen that often that you can't even classify a book.