Cover Image: My Sister, the Serial Killer

My Sister, the Serial Killer

NO SPOILERS

The crux of this story is serial murder…yet this book is full of humour and wit without being in poor taste, which I think is a pretty great achievement from Braithwaite.

From the beginning my sympathy was with the sisters whose history we slowly learn and in a paragraph near the end is one of the most touching moments I have ever read.

All the characters are very believable as, bizarrely, is the plot! The tale is told in the first person and Braithwaite’s style is flowing, fast and easy to read but, thankfully, is not overly simple. There is no waffling, no filling for word count and I was kept reading into the night. It’s something a little different and I would recommend it as a quick, extremely entertaining read.

Though the book is graphic in the practicalities, it is not gory, so is not a horror story and will not be beyond the faint hearted.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atlantic for the Advanced Reader Copy of the book, which I have voluntarily reviewed.
I was so happy when I received the email letting me know that my wish had been granted by Netgalley and I received a copy of this. I really enjoyed this story about two sisters, one the enabler and the other the titular serial killer. This has a lot of observations about the perils of the modern world, and both genders. Highly entertaining.
"Femi makes three you know. Three and they label you a serial killer."

I found this a really fun, amusing, original book. It’s dark humour about two Nigerian sisters - one a killer, one her unwilling fixer – and how their lives intertwine.

It’s also about how shallow men are, ignoring every warning sign because Ayoola, the killer, is so very beautiful. With a backstory that perhaps explains how these sisters have become as they are, the novel comes to life when Ayoola sets her sights on sister Korede’s crush.

It's a little short and it ends a little abruptly but those are minor quibbles. I enjoyed every page.
An unusual, fabulous, short, but cracking read from Oyinkan Braithwaite, at the heart of which is the dysfunctional relationship between two sisters set in Nigeria. In this entertaining, satirical and fun story, Korede is the elder sister, living under the shadow of her beautiful, selfish, murdering psycho of a younger sister, Ayoola, with men who flock towards her, finding her just so unbelievably irresistible. Korede, as a nurse has the skills to clean up after her serial killer of a sister's murders, she harbours resentment and ambivalent feelings towards Ayoola, but when all is said and done, she is family, blood is thicker, so her loyalties lie with Ayoola. With Korede unburdening herself on a coma patient, what happens when family loyalties are tested against the feelings Korede has for a doctor? A darkly humorous novel that is compulsive, engaging and riveting reading. Many thanks to Atlantic Books for a copy of the book.
Absolutely loved this and so different from anything else I'd read in a while. The lead character of the supportive and endlessly put upon sister was so relatable and you couldn't help warming to her even though was enabling her serial killer baby sister, despite the twisted situation the warped family dynamics all rang so true. Great there wasn't an easy cop out of a retribution ending or really any resolution at all in life as in fiction bad people get away with very bad things! An excellent read and also quite an accessible, brief one for a change.
I have very mixed feelings about this novel.

There were many things I really enjoyed about it but my overall feeling towards the book was very average. I couldn’t really explain I just felt very meh after reading it. But when I thought about the book I found there were many things I actually enjoyed. So why was it that I was feeling all that fussed by it at the end.

But first the positives, I really enjoyed the short chapters. The longest chapters in this book was about 5 pages. I found this really effective in keeping me reading. I kept on saying to myself, “just one more chapter.” It just made the reading experience so much easier.

I liked Korede. But I didn’t enjoy watching her struggle, I wanted her to go to the police straight away against her sister. But I understood why she did what she did and I understood her relationship with her sister. That being said, I found it frustrating that she was being walked over.

Ayoola was a really interesting character to read about. I wanted to learn more about who she is as a person and why she did the things she did. I wanted to know why she put her sister through the things she did. I was just baffled by her yet intrigued.

Overall, it was a really interesting concept. I loved exploring the bond between sisters and the duty to protect your sibling.

But and here’s the but… it felt very surface level, I wanted more. I felt that the story needed more depth, we didn’t learn much about the characters and it ended all so suddenly. I just really needed some more detail for this story to work for me.
This novel was released last year, but has become one of those slow-burn successes we all love to discover. It’s been described as a dark comedy, but there’s a lot more dark than comic about it, that’s for sure. It asks some big questions, of the ‘moral dilemma’ kind. Korede’s answers are informed by her own psychological demons, making her decisions more understandable to the reader, but really – what would you do? A thoroughly enjoyable novel just a little out of the ordinary – a book club sure fire hit.
It's a strange one is this – two sisters, one of whom has a compulsion to kill off her boyfriends once they grow tiresome, and the other, older one, worrying about who the next victim might be.   And that really is all there is. I had hoped for dark humour, but there's something so flat about the writing – there's no spark, no wit, it's just all a bit blergh.

Unfortunately this doesn't encourage me to read any further offerings from the author, should there be any.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5
Really enjoyed this - it’s a short, lively and original read, plenty of dark humour and pathos and the characters are really believable. I’ve been reading along with Audible but the Audible narration is particularly good because the performer’s accent takes you right into Lagos along with the characters. Highly recommended
Thanks to the publisher for granting my request. Very skilled debut with a strong voice. Darkly comic and moving in the right measure.
Wasn't able to read and give feedback before book was removed from e-reader

When Korede's dinner is interrupted one night by a distress call from her sister, Ayoola, she knows what's expected of her: bleach, rubber gloves, nerves of steel and a strong stomach. This'll be the third boyfriend Ayoola's dispatched in, quote, self-defence and the third mess that her lethal little sibling has left Korede to clear away. She should probably go to the police for the good of the menfolk of Nigeria, but she loves her sister and, as they say, family always comes first. Until, that is, Ayoola starts dating the fit doctor where Korede works as a nurse. Korede's long been in love with him, and isn't prepared to see him wind up with a knife in his back: but to save one would mean sacrificing the other...
A very different and lively book. I loved the characters and their flaws. There was one predictable bit but on the whole entertaining.
I found this book to be a quick read and it was enjoyable but it just didn't grip me the way some novels do. At times I found that the storyline seemed a bit farfetched, although I did enjoy the humour that was thrown into the mix too.
There’s a lot of hype and I think it actually really deserves it! It was so clever and so funny. It was quite amazingly well done in terms of its construction and quick pacing. But really what makes his novel shine is that it's not just about the deaths but it's also about family and the way that that kind of interacts. To hold all this complexity in a short novel is really quite a feat.
One of my fave books of 2019! I devoured this book.  I loved the setting and the characters and can't wait to read more from this author.
A darkly twisted yet humorous novel, it has set itself in a new age of fiction. A wonderfully original plot with fantastic characters and an excellent pace to keep you excited till the end
Wonderfully entertaining and darkly humorous, this was an engaging book that did not disappoint. The plot was twisted, the writing stood out, and I enjoyed it just as much as I hoped I would.
This was on my wishlist for so long and it certainly didn't disappoint.  A blend of horror, dark comedy and crime set in Nigeria - the plot was incredible, the characters wonderfully written and sharp, with lashings of dark humour and the perfect pace.  There was a lot of hype around this book and for me it was utterly justified; the writing is exquisite and I can't wait to read more from Oyinkan Braithwaite.
A very unique book that draws you on with its originality. Fabulous characters and lots of humour throughout - albeit pretty dark humour!
Really interesting and at times nervy and gripping and nervy. It certainly deserves its recognition purely on its totally different approach. Looking at the title, serial killer books are generally blood-filled with calculating psychotic killers. This is not although there is a degree of the psychopath in Ayoola!
The story is also an interesting look at the relationships within a family: the hard-working and trustworthy Korede and Ayoola who doesn't work, has little regard for others yet loved by all who meet her.
I found the writing style a little difficult early on but as I moved through the book it grew on me and allowed me to immerse myself in the setting better.
Well worth reading and deserving of reconition.