The Gap

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Oct 2018

This book was much more of a travelogue than I expected and covered less of the author's diagnosis and handling of MS. It was a really enjoyable book and if there is anything to learn from it, for me at least, it was the author's apparent difficulties with the past and how these had affected her and her sense of seeking something. I think the summary they used of finding the right people, place and purpose is a helpful way of people finding balance in their lives.

More enjoyable than informative but with one or two useful takeaway points for readers to reflect on.
The story was well written and I wanted to keep reading to see how it ended. The author gets a diagnosis of MS when she is in her twenties and travels all around the world to live life to the fullest before her symptoms gets worse. Fortunately she has a mild case of the disease and her symptoms are very slow. She travels all over the world and falls in love but her moves on quickly to the next place and has some fantastic experiences. She often says she is trying to find a place to settle in and grow some roots and finds it difficult as she feels she does not belong anywhere. My feeling was that she had travelled so much that she could never really settle comfortably anywhere. I finished the book unsure if would ever find happiness in a community and home.
I think a big mistake was made in the book description by making a comparison to "Eat, Pray, Love," "The Alchemist," and "Wild," all of which I have read. I expected an account of a young woman overcoming a monumental struggle while trying to hold onto a dream. While I do sympathize with her diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis, especially at such a comparatively young age, what I encountered was more of a travelogue. These accounts might have been more interesting if I were a person who enjoys travel.

Coincidentally, during the same time I read "The Gap,"I was reading another author's memoir about his horrific battle with epilepsy. As if that were not more than enough to take on while trying to finish college, numerous physicians turned out to be incompetent in the area of epilepsy while treating him. He reached the point where his medications were a handful of doses away from killing him.

So, when I read of Ms. Venskunas's medical diagnosis, but see that she can still quite breezily travel the world, fall in love, come to a few realizations about herself, and still carry on independently with her life, I am happy for her. However, in the introduction to the book, she states the hope that her readers--- assisted by her book, I suppose--- would come to  "unlock the path to their dreams.." I just don't see the connection between that statement and her travelogue..
Kim was diagnosed with MS at the young age of 19. She decided to not let it rule her life and continued to travel, work etc. The book is a great example of keeping positive and motivating yourself when you face difficulties. Reading about Kim's travels and the cultural issues she happened upon as she moved and lived around the world was very interesting.