Blast from the Past

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Mar 2019

"A Blast from the Past" was an uplifting, warm, feel-good read. I have previously read 'The Kicking the Bucket List' and this book was the same good quality read that I was expecting from Cathy Hopkins.

It was a glorious romantic read that bravely and satisfyingly touched on topics associated with psychics, meditation and life after death. Warm, inspirational and written in the author's familiar friendly and witty style. this novel was full of romantic promise for the older person, but still young at heart. A heartfelt and refreshing read, the characters were well developed and likeable and the story moved along at a good pace. The story was well balanced with many amusing moments as well as poignant ones. In addition, there was a great sense of mystery and intrigue as I was left guessing until the very last minute who 'Mr Perfect was going to be.

I would thoroughly recommend this book as it was a hugely enjoyable read,

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from HarperCollins UK/ HarperFiction via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Brilliant. I loved it. The characters are superb, an unusual plot and very “readable “. I could empathise with the main character.
I got to the end of this bit it was rather out of curiosity to see if it got better or not. What started out as promising was a bit of a damp squib.
I enjoy books by this author and this book was no exception.  It is easy reading with good story telling and makes you care about the characters as they are captured on the on page.

Will be look out for more by her.
A lovely light, amusing read full of many twists and turns. The 50th birthday present Ibrings hope to someone who is 50 and still single. Trying to go back through her old flames brings very amusing scenes. The story centres on Bea after seeing a clairvoyant and not believing in reincarnation or her prophesised  future and how she eventually turns everything around and does indeed find the soulmate that was told about. I love this author and highly recommend Cathy to anyone who likes funny situations as this is what Cathy is noted for. The book brings joy to the reader.
Blast from the Past is another great book by Cathy. Easy to read and before I knew it several hours had passed. A great plot that I am interested in so I loved this book.
I have read all of Cathy Hopkins' books and this was probably the one that required me to suspend belief the most.  It includes an investigation into reincarnation, which you may or may not believe in, but that doesn't detract from the storyline.  It is also interesting to read a book about a 50 year old woman as so many are about females in their 20s or 30s.  The suspense is kept up through the book as you try to guess who has their sights on Bea.  A charming and well-written tale.
Bea & her two best friends go on a trip to India to celebrate their fiftieth birthdays. Bea is also given a reading with a celebrated Indian mystic. Although she has always professed to find this sort of thing a load of rubbish, the revelation that the love of her life is out there. That she has loved & lost him in a previous life & has the chance for this time to make a happy ending.

Her business is about to go under & she will need to rethink where she is going from here. Her mystic meeting preys on her mind. After a hypnotist session she sets out to find out what tragic story is in her past & who is the man of her destiny.

This was a fun read. I'm not a big romance reader but I enjoyed this one. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
When Bea goes on a trip to India with her two best friends to celebrate their 50th birthdays she isn't expecting it to change her life.  As a birthday present her friends gives her a session with the area's most celebrated clairvoyant,  who tells Bea that her soulmate is out there she just has to find him and that they had met in a previous life.   Bea then has to go back through her little black book and revisit past conquests in her search........ but who can he be!

A lovely warm book and I loved the concept that there is someone out there for everyone regardless of your age...... there's hope for me yet!   I loved the character of Bea and was rooting her to find her man,  and we were definitely kept guessing
I loved this story and Bea. Three life long friends had ventured to India all celebrating their fiftieth birthdays. On the last day they all exchange gifts. The gift from her best friend is for them all to visit a clairvoyant while they are in India. Not Bea’s thing at all but she goes along with it. Bea is told that she has to meet her soul mate, who she may already know from her past. They had fallen in love in a previous life but both died too young. Now she had to find him to achieve true happiness. I loved this book already and I had only read a couple of chapters.
What follows is at times hilarious, sad, beautiful and totally swoonable, as Bea makes a list of all her past lovers, crushes and possible matches to try to track down this perfect partner for her. I loved going with her on these dates and discovering her memories of what they were like to who they had now become all these years later. At times it was quite sad at how many dreams and hopes had been crushed. As the list got shorter I had my favourite as to who it could be.
There is also the story running side by side from the past as she was determined to discover if the names of the couple she had been given by the clairvoyant, really had existed. This was a beautiful story in itself. This is an all round totally good feel story that makes me quite fuzzy every time I think of it. Just lovely!
A super ending, loved the concept of it all.
I wish to thank NetGalley and the publisher for an e-copy of this book which I have reviewed honestly.
Bea and two of her best friends travel to India to celebrate their joint 50th birthdays.  Bea has been single for most of her life. Her friend buys her a session with an Indian clairvoyant, she tells her her soul mate is out there somewhere and they have met in a previous life and it sets out the basis for the story.

This story was an enjoyable read, with likeable characters and a unique storyline. It was a bit repetitive at times but on the whole I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
A lighthearted read with a bit of a nod to a past life. Plot slightly telegraphed early on. A good summer holiday read.
This is a great story of Bea Brooks reaching her 50th birthday a milestone for anyone but for her it' is a time for reaching decisions which will impact on her life. Whilst celebrating her birthday in India with friends, she has her future told which she does not believe but after coming home things start to happen and she is not so sure .
I enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.
A feelgood story following single lady Bea as she reaches her 50th Birthday. A gift from her friend is a session with a psychic, who informs her that she has already encountered her one true love and he is still out there waiting for her. Bea then begins to revisit her past loves in order to find out just who her soulmate is.

I really loved the premise of the book, and liked Bea and her friends. Overall it is a good read, but slightly marred by the repetitiveness that crept in. The book could probably have had a chapter or two less and been better for it, as I did find myself losing interest in places. The main crux of the story was well written however, and it is definitely worth a read.
To celebrate her 50th birthday, Bea and two of her best friends travel to India. It's not your usual trip, as they usually avoid the touristy places, and enjoy it very much. At the end of the trip the befriended three exchange their birthday presents and one of Bea's is an hour reading with India's most popular and celebrated clairvoyant. To say that she's sceptical would be an understatement but nevertheless she goes there with an open mind and is told that her true soul mate is out there somewhere and she only must find him. Moreover, they have met in the previous life already - the only thing Bea has to do now is to recognise him in her present life.

And here the book takes us on a bitter - sweet, funny and poignant journey as Bea decides to revisit the men that were significant in her life and to reconnect with her past loved ones. Some of them are single, some not, some of them changed, some of them didn't and she's in for all sorts and kinds, and we together with her. What she doesn't know is that there is a man who's desperately in love with her - is it one of the past lovers? The chapters told from Bea's point of view were interspersed with some told by the mystery man, and let me tell you, the author didn't make it too easy for us to guess who it was. There was a character that I wanted Bea to end with together but I couldn't be sure that it's going to happen, and I really liked this feeling of uncertainty and unpredictability.

The retrospections of Bea's previous relationships were so very well written. It was simply like it is in real life, with all the ups and downs and all kind of relationships and how Bea felt about them. It was realistic and genuine and also entertaining - some were truly disastrous, also in a funny way, but also in a more serious way, and I liked how well the author mixed them all together and perfectly balanced humour with sadness and seriousness.

Sadly, this time, the book felt a little too flat for me, and very repetitive. I had a feeling that we're repeating the same thing, over and over again and that we're not moving forward. I liked the idea of reincarnation, it was something totally new and refreshing but I couldn't engage with it somehow and it didn't keep my attention as much as I thought it's going to. It simply felt too slow - but, having said that, I must also admit that this book was full of warmth and brilliant characters and I liked the message that it's never too late to find your true love. What was so exceptionally brilliant and unique in the book was the idea of past life and the way the author explored this topic - even if I couldn't fully get into it. No matter what your thoughts on it, it was written in a special, well - researched way and I had a feeling that Cathy Hopkins isn't trying to convince me there is a past life and it's possible to meet your soul mate again, no, she's giving me a choice to believe in it or not. I'll be honest, I still don't know what to think about it but it was great to read about it, about the possibilities and oh well, there is something in it, right, those feelings of deja vu that we're experiencing, seeing people for the first time in our lives and thinking that we know them for ages.

Altogether, "Blast from the Past" is a book about second chances, about grabbing life by the horns, having fun and about not being afraid to have dreams. It was warm, uplifting and with some sad moments as well, and I'm sure we all be able to find something we can relate to in this story. Even though it may not be my favourite Cathy's novel, I still enjoyed it whole - heartedly, it was refreshing and unique. Recommended!
A nice feel good book that gives hope to us all. Although I thought the parts where the man 'Stuart' was talking to us were a little bit creepy.
Bea is drawn into a search through the past by an encounter with a psychic whilst away in India. She is at a crossroads in her life, the business she has worked so hard to establish is facing an uncertain future and she looks back at the men in her life to see if she can identify the true love of her life. Interesting and entertaining; a bit of a mystery with a trail of clues to follow. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is a good fun, light read.  I loved the descriptions of India at the start.  Unfortunately, the main story thread was too unrealistic for me.  It could make a perfect holiday read.
What a fantastic book I really enjoyed this book it was a great read lots of characters with twists and turns you must get this
An enchanting story,very believable.  Bea, owner of a failing business, and her friends Marcia and Pete, Marcia’s husband Pete are on a special holiday in India to celebrate their fiftieth birthdays.  In Udaipur, the last stage of their travels they give each other their  birthday gifts. Bea had bought fine silk in Jaipur, and in Udaipur had it made into dressing gowns for her friends.  Pete gave all of them vouchers for an Ayurvedic massage.  Then Marcia hands out her gift, all of them are going to have an hour each with one of India’s top psychics.  Bea is very uncomfortable with this, she does not believe in it, but she doesn’t want to let her friends down, so goes along for her hour, intending not to give anything away that would give the psychic any clues about her.

It is a very interesting reading, the psychic tells her that although she has had sadness and no lasting love her soulmate is waiting for her in her future.  She and her soulmate have been together in many lives.  In her last life she was a dressmaker named Grace Harris, and she was due to marry Billy Jackson, but something happened to prevent it. He had been killed in the Second World War.  They are both back in the present time, and she must find him and let love into her life to find lasting happiness. Bea was told that she had already met this man in her present life, but she had to recognise him to find happiness.

Bea regards all of this as rubbish, but cannot help thinking about it, and when they get back to England they all start researching Grace and Billy, and eventually come up with the most likely candidates.  They also, at Marcia’s insistence, start checking up on all of Bea’s old boyfriends, if she has already met her soulmate it must be one of them. She had had a few disastrous relationships and only one that wold have led to marriage if he hadn’t died. Meanwhile Bea has other troubles, the owner of the shop she rents is selling the building and she has just three months before she has to leave.  The business has been failing for a while, and against the advice of her accountant Stuart she had remortgaged her house to inject cash into her business.

Their research leads Bea into a few scrapes,and she is intrigued by a few gifts that turn up at her house from someone who clearly knows her well.  I sort of guessed which man it was going to be before he is revealed, but maybe that was purely because I wanted it to be him!  A lovely story, well told and totally believable.  I loved the epilogue, I thought it pulled the whole story together. Well worth reading.