The Girl Without Skin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jan 2019

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and give an honest review of this book.

This twisty tale takes place in Greenland with some connections reaching back to Denmark.
A journalist is sent by his editor to investigate how an unsolved cold case involving 4 macabre murders may relate to current crimes.

The more he discovers, with the help of an old journal, and a strange tattooed woman, the more his life becomes endangered. Believing that the murders are tied to child sexual abuse, he is surprised to find that there is much more to the forty year old crimes.

This complicated story is well written and you are thoroughly engrossed in it in order to find out how the murders relate to each other. The reader is also surprised at how people in the story are related to one another and what a difference it makes.
This book got lost in my TBR pile and for that i apologize.

I loved this book - the 2 timelines and the complexity of the characters all coming together.  I believe this is a really great read.
My first exposure to "Greenlandic Noir," a topic I've been anticipating since I discovered the beauties of Icelandic Noir, GIRL WITHOUT A SKIN is intensely Greenlandic,  AND intensely Noir. I caution ahead of time: I found the novel riveting,  with several characters I very much admired.  However,  for those with Sensitive dispositions and/or those readily triggered: this Mystery is drenched in gore, and is descriptive of it; AND the background story is heartwrenching,  heartbreaking, infuriating, and deals with Child Abuse in multiple aspects.  So be forewarned.
*****NETGALLEY READ*****

A mummified body shows up out of now wear and then disappears the next morning and more bodies soon follow.

What Matthew thought was going to be a National Geographic type story soon unfolded into a ID Discovery cold case and current murder case.

Set in Greenland and told between two time lines, the story is  fast paced but not confusing.  You would think in a small community it would not take 40 years to solve a crime.

I enjoyed this, once I was able to sit and pay attention the story was great.  The two different perspectives and the switching of time lines is not confusing and worked brilliantly.
When journalist Matthew Cave receives a call telling him that a mummified body has been found near a glacier he sets off with his photographer to cover the story. The next day however, the body has disappeared and the policeman who was guarding it is discovered gruesomely murdered with his body flayed and naked. The murder is frighteningly similar to a set of murders that took place in the town of Nuuk in the 1970’s and as Matthew starts to look into the past, things begin to come to light that some would like to keep hidden.

It took me a good while to read this novel as I felt that although the storyline was promising, it was spoilt by having too many characters and spin-off plots. The writing was overly detailed for my liking with some descriptions being unnecessary to the story. On a positive note, I did like most of the people in the book and have learnt a lot about Greenland.

Huge thanks to Text Publishing and NetGalley for letting me read this book in exchange for my opinion.
I found this story confusing in parts, but i think that is me and my inability to remember all of the Danish and Greenland names.

The premise of the story is great - bodies being discovered as the ice melts due to global warming. With concurrent investigations into both these deaths and current deaths makes for an interesting read, though it must be said that the murders were particularly gruesome.

Having said this i do look forward to reading other books by this author.
The Girl Without Skin by Mads Peder Nordbo.  I reviewed this book a couple of months ago.
I loved it.  Where did the review go???  I also asked if he'd written other books.
I hope you find my review.
Sara Somers
Absolutely loved this book. Loved the characters, the setting (Greenland), the storyline. Loved it so much, I'm immediately reading the next book, Cold Fear.

Marvelous writer. Extremely talented.
Thank you for netgalley for allowing me to review this book. It definitely exceeded my expectations!

Good points:
1. The author hooks you in from the beginning to the end.

2. I loved the gradual progression to the truth that was unraveled.

The story starts with a discovery of a "mummy" in the ice. It unravels into a major murder case. With help of curious investigative reporter and caring police officer, the case is solved and a disturbing truth is revealed to the community.

3. I loved how there was no fluff added in the book. The plot was fairly straightforward. I enjoyed how author did not deviate from the plot and efficiently added complexity to the case.

This book is a must read!
As much as I like a dark suspense mystery, The Girl Without Skin just didn’t quite get there for me. For one, it's quite gruesome and gory and in VIVID descriptive detail and I feel this would be a bit much for some readers – I may be some readers. Interestingly, this same vivid imagery paints a beautiful visual of Greenland and perfectly sets the dark mood that is prevalent throughout the book.

I gave it 3 stars because even though I didn't thoroughly enjoy it, there were aspects that I did like: I liked the actual plot even though the first half of the book moved a bit slowly. I think the alternating timelines brought an interesting facet to the story, I liked reading Detective Pederson’s diary on the case from 1973 and then Cave’s investigation in 2014.  Would I read the next in the series? Probably not but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good book, just not for me.

A big thanks to Netgalley, Mads Peder Nordbo , and Text Publishing Company for providing me with a copy of this book for review.
The Girl Without Skin was such an interesting, disturbing, twisting read. It's so complicated and gory that I was hooked for the entire book. I must say though that it was so gory at times to the point where I would skip several lines. Keep this in mind if you want to read it. Other than that, this book was incredible in every way other than that it was a somewhat slow read. Not much happens for a really long time; only at the end do things start to really pick up. This book is so much more than a murder mystery; it also delves into rape and abuse. There are two timelines, one in the present and one in the past when the events being investigated are happening in real time. One thing that I loved yet also hated about this book was that the reader is kept in the dark about so many things for so long. I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but I didn't figure out who the killer was until the very end. This book was incredibly interesting and unique, and I would highly recommend it. It involves several very complex characters, and nothing is as simple as it seems.
"Inside the Golf, an ashen-faced man was staring into the eyes of a woman. She was trapped between the compressed roof and the dislocated floor of the car."
Mathew lost his wife and his unborn daughter in a car accident. He was alive and so had to go on living with this. He needed to go on living so he decided to go to his father's (who is already lost for him) hometown, Nuuk. And there he began to work as a reporter but his wife's and his unborn child's ghosts were with him.
Everything begins with some hunters finding a body that's been mummified which may be from the Viking age. So that was huge news because the body can be the oldest one from Viking age. But everything becomes messy after the police who was protecting the mummified body has been murdered, and so the article about the mummified body (even though it was ready already) written by Mathew was canceled until everything clarified. After Mathew learn that the way the police was killed has the similarity with the serial murder at the 1973s with that he began to investigate old cases. In the end, he finds himself in the flow of events like serial murders, child abuses, etc. Read and learn what happens to him for yourself.

"If I stand still, I'll turn to stone. If I stand still, life can reach me and touch me. My deepest fear and longing are encompassed in the same thought. One day I will flee so high up the mountain that its pulsating stone heart will take me in and let me feel what it means to be still. So still that I can't hear anything. But feel everything. While turning to stone."
This is quoted from the ending, but it doesn't spoil the ending and he tells that this is what he wrote to his unborn daughter, so I wanted to share here.

In the story, we are in 1973s and 2014s Nuuk. Firstly we learn the story from Mathew's point of view but after he gets the policeman's diary who has investigated the serial murder case at 1973s, we begin to see the story from policeman' point of view. At first, everything seems simple and obvious why it was happening. But with the story go on we began to learn everything more complicated from what it seems.
I liked how the story was told. The characters in the story were well developed. This story has strong females who were abused but they cope up with their painful past (which I can't even think how can happen these things to a child) go on with their life. Everything becomes clearer close to end but I wouldn't guess how would it end when I began to read. Even though this is the first book in the series I'm satisfied with the story without adding anything. But I would like to learn about Mathew father (which I think we will learn with the other books in the series). This is the first book I read written by Mads Peder Nordbo but won't be the last one. I would recommend this book anyone who likes to read mystery, crime genre.

Thanks to NetGalley and Text Publishing for providing me a copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review, and making this available!
Scandi-noir is such a popular genre these days, but this is the first book I've come across that takes place in Greenland. It added such an atmospheric element to this gritty novel. Plus I learned so much about the culture and geography of the world's largest island, as well as its tenuous relationship with Denmark.

The story itself is dark and quite engaging, with a collection of sympathetic characters. It was sometimes hard to follow, though, especially toward its climatic end. I have to wonder if this is due to things being lost in translation, but either way it was still a gripping read. I'll definitely be reading any other English translations in this series.
As the title suggests – this book is not for the faint of heart! I love a good Nordic thriller, and THE GIRL WITHOUT SKIN has every element that characterises the genre: a haunting atmospheric setting, a somewhat bleak atmosphere, gruesome crimes and two main characters scarred by their tragic back stories.

This is the first book set in Greenland for me, and though I thought that the setting was fantastic and starred as a character in its own right, it is no travel brochure. Nordbo, who has lived in Nuuk for many years, gives a chilling account of life in this remote place. There are many trigger warnings here, so if you are sensitive to topics of domestic violence, rape, incest and child abuse you should enter this one cautiously. For me, novels that are not afraid to expose the sinister side of society and offer some social criticism add some depth and meaning to my reading experience, and I feel that I learned something about life on one of the most remote places on earth.

Nordbo tells his story through the eyes of two main characters and two separate timelines 40 or so years apart. When the unsolved crimes of the past rear their ugly heads again in the present, troubled journalist Matt Cave becomes entangled in the investigation. Matt is an enigmatic, genuine and tragic character I warmed to immediately. Having lost his wife and unborn child in a terrible car accident, he is haunted by demons and the hopelessness that follows grief. Perhaps it is this that makes him somewhat fearless to expose crimes and corruption even if it comes at great risk to his own personal safety. And be assured, the people in this novel who want the past to stay hidden are ruthless in their pursuit! Seeing how people with demons tend to gravitate towards each other, it is no surprise that Matthew feels drawn to a young woman, Tupaarnaq, whose tragic childhood and past abuse have made her determined in the way that people who have little to lose sometimes become. Tupaarnaq, who is on a similar mission to seek justice for past wrongs, soon becomes a valuable ally to Matt. As other reviewers have mentioned, Tupaarnaq, who is tough on the outside but also strangely vulnerable, reminded me of Stieg Larsson’s Lisbeth Salander, and she added much to the story for me.

The second main character is Jacob, who is a police officer in Nuuk in the 1970’s, following up on reports of alleged incest and child abuse that is rife in society at the time, and which everyone is eager to ignore. A spade of horrific murders seems to follow his investigation, and the hierarchy are determined to shut him down. But Jacob has become close to one of the victims, and is determined to help her at all cost – which will put him right in the path of the killer.

When a body is found in an ice crevasse that bears the same MO as the murders in the 1970’s the two timelines connect, and we are being taken on a chilling and spine tingling story of corruption, murder and survival in the one of the harshest landscapes on Earth.

All in all, THE GIRL WITHOUT SKIN was an honestly brutal, chilling and yet utterly captivating book set against the haunting backdrop of one of the bleakest and most remote landscapes on Earth. It features everything I have come to expect in a good Nordic thriller, and swiftly drew me into its world like only very skilled writers accomplish with such ease. I very much look forward to the next book in the series, which I believe will be published later this year.
*Many thanks to Mads Peder Nordbo, Text Publishing and Netgalley for ARC in exchange for my honest review.*
The novel is a solid thriller set in Greenland and with two timelines. A journalist gets involved in a mystery that has its roots 40 years earlier. To me it was a decent read although I would like to warn future readers that there are some rather graphic descriptions and the child abuse in the centre of the story which is quite a sensitive issue.
A richly emotive and descriptive novel set in an icy land. It maintains a striking level of unease throughout, which can be difficult to achieve, but it has been done so well. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read this novel
Fab read. Could not put down. Highly recommended to all. Believable characters. Great author. Will be watching out for more titles.
Gripping and full of atmosphere, in a way that only the Nordic novels seem to manage. The Greenland setting really helped here and added an extra layer to the plot. I have found in the past that Nordic novels lose something when they're translated into English but there was rarely anything clunky here. Really enjoyed it and will look out for more from the author in the future.
A stunning beautiful violent story set in Greenland in two parts with unsolved murders some years ago and similar crimes today. A crusading journalist investigates aided by a tattooed girl fresh out of prison seeks the truth with shock revelation upon shock revelation the pace never lessens. The storyline from both times knits together cleverly all culminating in a blood soaked denouement. Brilliant!
I liked the book.. mostly because i learned about greenland and the story was so gripping.  I very much enjoyed this book. thank you..