Cover Image: Perfect Crime

Perfect Crime

For 20% the book was talking about the relationship between the police officers, as this was my first book into this series I didn't know alot about them and I didn't care about Callanach and Turner but by the end I actually loved them.

The police work and the solving the puzzle of murder was more important to me.

I understand why this series is popular, it’s fast paced and deals with a lot of drama between the characters and based in Edinburgh (which it is my first based there).

Really dark ending, there was term that I start googling, I didn’t even believe this could be true not be made up . Really good book. I bought the first in the series and will read it as I would love to understand the two main character more.
Absolutely enjoyed from start to finish, u didn't want the book to end. Highly recommended, if you like books that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
Thank you for the copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

I absolutely LOVE this series by Helen Fields - I don't think I could ever tire of the characters and the increasingly insane cases they are faced with book after book.  This one doesn't disappoint either - if there was ever an author who knows how to write a serial killer, Helen is that author.

My favorite part of these books (no spoilers!) is that once I am in, I literally cannot set the book down as there is never a pause in the action that makes you feel like a break is a good idea.  The action and twists just keep coming, and I have yet to be able to guess an ending to one of these stories.

I genuinely hope this series never ends because I really don't know what I will do without my favorite serial killers haunting me year after year.
I do like a thriller but I always spoil it for myself by working everything out early on...but for once I didn’t because my thoughts were wrong; I guess that means it was a well written story. Not too much gore for once which was good because I think sometimes some authors are a little too explicit and it can make for a difficult read. Looking forward to the next one!!
Love a good police procedural! While I read this outside of the series, I am thrilled to learn that there are more as part of the series. I also loved the relationship and interplay between the two characters.
The DI Callanach series is shaping up into a very nice one .... and ... um ..... maybe Callanach himself could have a little to do with that!! *sigh*

Elaborate suicides seem to be happening all over the place and though they appear to be victims who have taken their lives .... or have they?!! It's a baffling case where things just don't add up. But the book also reveals more about Luc's past and why certain events happened. I'm loving the usual cast of characters and Det Supt Overbeck has to be a favourite. What may start to get on my nerves a bit is the will they won't they between Ava and Luc. This could get tedious if dragged on too long.

If I'm honest I did guess the perpetrator here; my detective skills worked here! But it's still a good addition to the series and one I'll stick with for now. I'm intrigued to see where things go.

Recommended for some terrific characters. Many thanks for my review copy.
This is definitely one of my favourite police crime procedural/psychological thriller series with excellent writing, plot and character development. Recommended. A great book.
Riveting read compelling and thought provoking many thanks.  I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone who enjoys a crime set in modern and relevant settings
Perfect Crime is the fifth book in the D.I. Callanach series, and it’s another addition to the series that I devoured in no time at all. Although this one had me hooked, I’m going to be honest and say it’s not my favourite book in the series.

As always, the mystery element of this book was wonderful. There were multiple elements to this one, and I was sucked in deep trying to work out how everything came together. Although I worked out how one thing came together, I did not manage to put the pieces of the other together until quite late in the book. I was convinced it was going to go a different way, and it made up for the fact I managed to work out how the bigger story played out.

As much as I enjoyed the mystery element of this one, I was disappointed by the development of the personal story between Luc and Ava. It’s something I’ve been really enjoying throughout the series, and with Perfect Crime things progress a lot. However, I wasn’t crazy about the way things developed. It didn’t quite have the emotional impact I’d expected, and I wasn’t invested in it the way I have been invested in other elements of their story. I guess I just expected more when I realised how much things progressed in this one. That’s just me, though.

Overall, Perfect Crime was another fabulous addition to the series, one that had me jumping right into book six.
Another cracking read in the series! Love the dynamic between Ava and Luc and as always, the crimes are fascinating and complex. I never fail to be hooked by the author and I'm more drawn into the team with every book. Can't wait for the next one!
I love this series of books and Perfect Crime is a great addition. Great writing, great story with a good ending.
The fifth book in the D.I. Callanach series begins with a man who is ready to jump from a bridge, but is talked down by a counsellor who happens to be there at the time. A number of supposed suicides begin to show up that are not what they seem...

I really enjoyed the previous book in the series, Perfect Silence, however although I have yet to read the other 3. I feel it is pretty easy to follow the story without having read them.

I thought the storyline was interesting and not one I had come across before. I do find the will they/won’t they between Callanach and Turner a little tedious though, and that’s after only reading 2 of the books. This distracted from the case at times, although I am sure there are people who enjoy it.

Not my favourite of the series, but fans of the characters will enjoy it.
Disappointing.  Bizarre.

These were the first two words that came to me on finishing Perfect Crime, the latest  in the Luc Callanach series by Helen Fields.  I have only read two books in the series – the first (Perfect Remains) which I loved, and this one, which I did not.

Spoliers are not usually my thing in a review, but this time I am making an exception.  THAT is how disappointed I am.  And I’m going to drone on a bit.  You’ve been warned.

First, this is a story largely ABOUT Luc rather than one that features him as a detective and participant in the story.  He’s on leave for a good portion of the book, and even when he is “present” he really isn’t at the forefront of the story.  It feels as though the author is pivoting in the series, trying to take it a different way but what that is, isn’t clear even at the end.

Of itself, that would be OK, but the story line is pretty weak.  I am not usually great at figuring out “who done it” – I like to be lead and mis-lead (except for those books where you know from page one, which is a different type of read for me) and willingly follow the author down the trail of breadcrumbs.  In this story, where there are multiple cases to be solved, I figured out the culprits way in advance of the reveal.   I will say that the disintegration of the primary killer’s personality was fascinating, and terrifying at the same time, and was portrayed well.  But another was very poorly done – introduced in such a laughably transparent way that they could only be a perpetrator.

I found the increasingly peculiar and brutal methods used by the main killer a bit gorier than I would like, and not entirely believable.  I always thought that serial killers had a pattern to killing each victim but this was all over the place.  It was as though the author wanted to simply provide shock content.

But the biggest disappointment was half way through when Ava and Luc finally “get together”.  The sex scene (I TOLD you there were spoilers) was a surprise in terms of details, and set up the betrayal scene perfectly.  Except the betrayal made no sense whatsoever.  None.  And though it is revisited multiple times, none of the explanations were the least bit convincing.  To me, this is a “jump the shark” moment, to the extent that I’m not sure I’d read the next one.
Helen Fields never fails mind! I never want this series to end as I have invested so much in Ava and Luc and all of the other characters because of Helens writing and how engaging it is. I was so excited when I thought they were going to get together and I really hope they’re not going to play with my emotions! Make it happen!!!! Can’t wait for the next instalment. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and Avon for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Another strong book in the 'Perfect' series.  I enjoyed this as much as the earlier books and look forward to reading more tales of DI Callanach's endeavours.
Another great read.  Good story just like others..ready for next one.  Good twist in story which I didnt see coming
loved it. Ava and Luc are great partners.  The strange suicides in town are questionable as if to murder or suicide. The more Ava and Luc investigate the more they are in peril.  Some of the murders where very inventive.

The killer is closer than they think to the investigation.  The killlers mind is very twisted, in as he believes he is really an animal.
This is the first book that I read from the series and I must say that I'm impressed with the author.

I was totally surprised with how the crime was created. I liked the combination of Luc and Ava there is real chemistry between the two! I can't wait to read the Perfect Dark!

I was happy that I guessed who the killer was even before he left some clues but the other murderer with DI Callanach's case, I was blown away! Wow!
Callanach and Turner struggle to link the deaths together, very careful planned murders to look like suicide., all very different. An exciting read from beginning to end with many twists and turns. Set in beautiful Edinburgh this psychopathic murder is out and about under cover.
Perfect Crime was awesome right from the start. Even though I haven't read any of the other books in the series, I still ended up adoring D.I. Luc Callanach after just a few chapters.

The story itself was absolutely thrilling. I had a slight inkling as to who the killer was at the beginning, but the author managed to sway my opinion with the turn of events. I even suspected one of the officers for a brief period. But in the end, my earlier suspicion proved to be correct.

I loved that there were two cases going on simultaneously, especially since one of them was concerned with D.I. Luc personally. Nothing makes a mystery better than some emotional investment! 😂

All in all, I loved Perfect Crime and I'll be looking forward to reading more books from the D.I. Callanach series.