Perfect Crime

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 May 2019

loved it. Ava and Luc are great partners.  The strange suicides in town are questionable as if to murder or suicide. The more Ava and Luc investigate the more they are in peril.  Some of the murders where very inventive.

The killer is closer than they think to the investigation.  The killlers mind is very twisted, in as he believes he is really an animal.
This is the first book that I read from the series and I must say that I'm impressed with the author.

I was totally surprised with how the crime was created. I liked the combination of Luc and Ava there is real chemistry between the two! I can't wait to read the Perfect Dark!

I was happy that I guessed who the killer was even before he left some clues but the other murderer with DI Callanach's case, I was blown away! Wow!
Callanach and Turner struggle to link the deaths together, very careful planned murders to look like suicide., all very different. An exciting read from beginning to end with many twists and turns. Set in beautiful Edinburgh this psychopathic murder is out and about under cover.
Perfect Crime was awesome right from the start. Even though I haven't read any of the other books in the series, I still ended up adoring D.I. Luc Callanach after just a few chapters.

The story itself was absolutely thrilling. I had a slight inkling as to who the killer was at the beginning, but the author managed to sway my opinion with the turn of events. I even suspected one of the officers for a brief period. But in the end, my earlier suspicion proved to be correct.

I loved that there were two cases going on simultaneously, especially since one of them was concerned with D.I. Luc personally. Nothing makes a mystery better than some emotional investment! 😂

All in all, I loved Perfect Crime and I'll be looking forward to reading more books from the D.I. Callanach series.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, from the start I was hooked and couldn't wait to see where the story went! In the least creepy way of course. It always seems a little bit odd to be eager to get stuck into stories of murders and those who investigate them, and yet humanity is consistently intrigued. In the case of this series, the stories just get better as the series go, never predictable or repetitive, but thoroughly engaging and addictive.
As with any crime Series, although the book could be read as a standalone,I would wholeheartedly recommend that you start at the beginning. You gain a much fuller understanding of the Characters and interactions ongoing throughout the story, though you wouldn't be unable to follow it without doing so, you would miss out on a lot of the emotion and interactions between the Characters. The Characters themselves have a wonderful depth, but as with anything... If you start in the middle, you tend to lose some of the effect.
Assuming now that you either HAVE read previous books, or that you aren't bothered about reading out of order *shudders* .. Getting back to Callanach and Turner was wonderful, I love the Characters that Helen has created. They're wonderfully complex and surprising in so many ways, yet even when they surprise you their actions are logical and true to Character. I never find myself wondering why they are acting a particular way, rather I find myself rolling my eyes at their attitudes, snickering at the by-play or shaking my head. I love seeing how they interact with each other, how they relate to one another throughout the story. This is a duo that you miss as soon as you turn the last page.
The story-line as ever is very cleverly thought out and put together, none of the information seems superfluous, rushed or skipped. Instead we are given just enough information to keep us guessing, keep us on the edge of our seat, minds whirling whilst we try to beat the Author to the reveal. I have yet to beat Helen to it, and I have a tonne of fun trying to guess! The added dimension of the killers perspective is Dark, dangerous, and just that bit uncomfortable. It keeps you gripped in the story-line, and keeps the story flicking in your mind like a movie. The descriptions are wonderfully terrible, and by that I mean they're so well done it feels like you could reach out and touch the victims. WONDERFUL talent, but wow. Just wow. Not always comfortable, and yet 'Perfect' for the Genre.
Alongside another twisty and turny Crime novel in the series, I loved that we got some insights from thoughts in previous books. We see Callanach dealing with a personal investigation, and as with any issues in life that has the potential to effect work, but it's so much more in this case. We get to know our central characters that bit better. If you already love the series, then you're going to absolutely adore the newest addition to it, it's full of emotion and edged of the seat tension and ties up various loose ends with Callanach personally, giving insights and explanations and just generally making us adore the characters more. There are various topics that come up, and a multitude of new hurdles for our characters to overcome, both in their personal lives and that of their investigations.
The book is full of scenes to make you laugh, gasp, cringe, smirk and generally experience a range of emotions you might expect from a cleverly written and thoroughly engaging Crime Series. I can't think of anything I would want to add to this series! I have been glued to each instalment and will be eagerly, perhaps a tad impatiently, awaiting the next book!
If you aren't a Fan yet, you will be once you start reading!
I enjoyed this book till about 60% through. The killer had miraculously named himself and was killing people for no reason and it was a bit dull towards the end. If it had stayed how the rest of the book was it would get more stars.
I loved Perfect Crime. It was so well drawn and pacey: I immediately bought all of the other 'Perfect' books by Helen Fields, and can't wait to read them. That said, it worked well as a stand alone, and I didn't feel left in the dark by the fact that I was coming to the series new at book 5. I'd absolutely recommend it to friends who enjoy police procedurals.
I love the PERFECT series by Helen Fields and book 5, Perfect Crime was the absolute best of the series so far! I now can't wait for the next book. I adore Helen's characterisations. It is the characters I am invested in. The relationship between Luc and Ava. The bizarre relationship between Lively and "Daisy". And all the while some great crimes keep you turning the pages as well. If you haven't yet read this series I'd highly recommend it to you. It's one of the best out there. I don't miss a book and this didn't disappoint.
Perfect Crime was definitely an interesting read. It’s a bit of a psychological thriller and love story. The characters are well developed, the plot was easy to follow but intricate and it will keep you questioning until the end.
I was disappointed in the ending because it just stops and you’re not really sure why. It sounds like there might be a sequel, but I wasn’t sure. For that reason, I’m giving this book 4 out of 5 stars.
This was a dark book, which I love, but also had strong, emotional, supportive relationships throughout the whole story.
Highly recommend picking up this book, just don’t read before bed, it might keep you up all night.
I didn’t like this book as much as I liked book 4.  I did like that Ava and Luc’s relationship finally took a big step forward.  I didn’t like the suicide and mental illness aspect of the story though.
If suicide or mental illness are triggers for you, this is not the book for you.  I struggled to finish this book because of how much the story focuses on these topics.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rune Maclure, a suicide prevention counselor, is trying to talk Stephen Berry down from the Queensferry Crossing bridge. His bipolar disorder is making him feel too depressed to go on.
Despite a heckler in the crowd egging him on while watching, the skillful Rune is able to convince Stephen to come down.
But less than a week later, Detective Inspector Luc Callanach and Detective Chief Inspector Ava Turner are investigating Stephen's death, having fallen from a tower at Tantallon Castle. Was he pushed, or did he finally kill himself?
When two other cases come up involving suspicious circumstances during possible suicides, it looks as though a killer is targeting victims in Edinburgh.
This is an excellent police procedural thriller. The crimes are dark and ghastly with some monstrous ingredients.
Callanach and Turner's friendship/romance has alot of sparks flying between them, the two have great chemistry!
An interesting cast of characters that work well together and lighten the story with some humor.
There are many different facets to the story that kept me fascinated!
This is the first book I've read in the series and though I don't usually like to read them out of order, this still works well  as a stand alone for me.
Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Thank you to HarperCollins and NetGalley for the free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
A series that I am adding onto my TBR!

I loved the suspense, the plot, the characters...everything kept me turning pages and devouring this book.

A fabulous read!
As a new reader of the Di callanach books they started off well. The last book disappointed me and I had hopes this one would redeem itself. It started off well but the personal issues of Luc are not something I can relate to and threw me out of the story a bit.
Helen Fields is at her chilling and mesmerizing best with her nail-biting new crime novel featuring DCI Ava Tuner and DI Luc Callanach, Perfect Crime. Shocking, thrilling and absolutely triumphant, with Perfect Crime, this number one best-selling author continues to go from strength to strength!

Stephen Berry is a man who seems to have reached the end of his tether. He feels as if he has nothing to live for and that there isn’t much point in continuing to live, so taking his own life seems to be the only viable option. Stephen is about to jump off a bridge and leave this world behind, unable to even contemplate spending another moment trapped in the hell he has found himself in. However, at the eleventh hour he is dissuaded from his quest to kill himself by a suicide prevention counsellor. Amidst all the anguish and heartache, it looks like Stephen has found the courage to turn over a new leaf and start living again – until he is found dead a week after his suicide attempt. Found at the bottom of a hill, Turner and Callanach are drafted in to investigate Stephen’s death. But should they write this whole incident off as a suicide? Or is there something far more sinister afoot?

As their investigation begins to get off the ground, Turner and Callanach find themselves embroiled in a tangled and tortuous game of lies, secrets and deceptions as other suicides begin to come in. However, the deeper Turner and Callanach delve in, the more they realize that these suicides were not mere cries of help from desperate people but shocking and chilling murders committed by a psychopathic killer desperate for revenge who will stop at nothing to quench the blood-thirsty desire for killing that consumes them. Can Turner and Callanach stop this vicious criminal before more lives are lost?

As their killer gains more and more confidence, Turner and Callanach find themselves caught up in a game of cat and mouse where the stakes have never been higher. Will they be successful in catching their killer? Or will this evil villain continue to evade justice?

Helen Fields does not disappoint in Perfect Crime. A must-read for fans of the genre everywhere, Perfect Crime is a scintillating thriller that will compel readers to put their lives on hold as they find themselves completely and utterly obsessed by this book! Scary, gritty and absolutely unputdownable, Perfect Crime is a tale of revenge, vengeance, obsession and justice with the dynamic duo Turner and Callanach on top form.

Perfect Crime is another outstanding tale from this first class writer of crime fiction and if you haven’t discovered Helen Fields yet, then what on earth are you waiting for?
I am fortunate to own the whole series, so I was delighted when Perfect Crime appeared on NetGalley, and it doesn’t disappoint. There is some magic between Luc and Ava and unfinished business. I’m not an advocate of mixing work with pleasure, but it’s an intriguing theme which holds my interest. This book in the series mainly deals with a spate of suicides. It’s extraordinary to recall that suicide was only decriminalised in 1961. The stigma was alive and well before then. If you attempted and failed to commit suicide, you could be prosecuted or imprisoned. If you succeeded your family could be imprisoned and/or denied their inheritance. Those who committed suicide were not allowed burial on consecrated ground. That matter is still an on-going decision without legislation. The book is well written, gruesome and chilling. I would definitely recommend reading the full series. Thank you to NetGalley & Avon Books UK for an ARC.
This was an enjoyable read although I did manage to guess (deduce?) who the killer was fairly early on.  The ‘romance’ between the two main characters didn’t really interest me as I found it a little formulaic.  All, in all, a good book and I will certainly look out for more Helen Field novels.
I have been a fan of the series featuring Detective Inspector Luc Callanach and Detective Chief Inspector Ava Turner since I picked up the first book in the series which is called ‘Perfect Remains’.  ‘Perfect Remains’ was released on 26th January 2017.  I have read each subsequent book in the series and I can honestly say that this is one series that has gone from strength to strength.  I couldn’t wait to read the fifth book in the series called ‘Perfect Crime’ and I devoured it (well not literally as that would be a bit weird) in what felt like record time.  I absolutely loved ‘Perfect Crime’ but more about that in a bit.
What can I say about Detective Inspector Luc Callanach?  Well for starters, he is certainly a different type of police officer.  He is half French and half Scottish- his mother was French and his father was Scottish.  He is bilingual although he sometimes struggles with some of the Scottish colloquialisms and accents.  Following a bit of a scandal, he left his policing role in France and he moved to Scotland, where he hoped that he would be able to make a fresh start.  Trouble followed him to Scotland but that was all dealt with in a previous book.  In ‘Perfect Crime’ Callanach faces turmoil of a different kind in that he has learnt something shocking about who his birth father and how he (Luc) was conceived.  He throws himself into his work in an attempt to distract himself from his worries.  He also has the friendship and close working relationship with Ava Turner.  There’s definitely a spark between them and I just knew that somewhere along the line things would turn serious between them.  The cases that feature in ‘Perfect Crime’ are going to test the detective duo like they haven’t been tested before.  Do they solve the cases?  What is the exact truth?  Will Luc & Ava become lovers as well as colleagues?  What shocks are in store for them?  Well for the answers to those questions and more you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
As with Helen’s other books, I was addicted to ‘Perfect Crime’ from the moment I read the synopsis, never mind from when I started to read the book.  I knew that I would have to cancel the plans I had for the rest of the day because there was no way on this earth that I would be able to put the book down.  So it proved to be.  In fact had anybody even tried to attempt to take the book out of my hands they would have been told what for and sent away with a flea in their ear.  The book wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it came everywhere with me.  I felt as though the book had a hold over me and that if I put the book down, I would risk missing out on something (which I would hate to do since I am such a nosy parker) and I would break the hold that the book had over me.  As a result of my inability to put the book down, I binge read the book over the course of a day, which really helped my enjoyment of the book because it gave me a sense of the intensity and urgency of the police investigation.  I seemed to finish the book in what felt like record time but in which reality was a matter of hours.
‘Perfect Crime’ is brilliantly written but then I wouldn’t expect anything else from Helen Fields.  She has a way of dangling enough bait to entice you into the story and then she keeps your attention all the way through.  That’s what happened to me anyway.  I was gripped throughout the book and I was frequently on the edge of my seat- literally.  The story is perfectly paced.  It certainly hits the ground running and maintains the pace throughout.  The story gathers momentum until a tense and shocking conclusion.  At times the book is scary and shocking in equal measure.  The scariness and the shocks were not severe enough to make me want to stop reading the book.  In fact the scarier and more shocking the better.  I must be a sadist!
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Perfect Crime’ and it is sure to soar up the bestsellers list, which is no more than it deserves.  I would definitely recommend this author and this series to other readers.  I can’t wait to read the next book in the series, which is called ‘Perfect Dark’ and it is due to be released on 6th February 2020.  ‘Perfect Dark’ is available for pre-order now.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Another fab read by Helen fields, I can't wait to see whta Luc and Ava get up to next, I just wish they would hurry up and get together properly.  They are obviously made for each other
This was an amazing read.  A very disturbing read, as the premise of htis, I found quote creepy, however I couldnt put it down!  Make sure you are comfortable reading this, as you wont want to move until you have finished it!
If you have read any of these books before, you will know that there is nothing Helen Fields likes more than finding ever more gruesome ways to kill off her victims. This is an author with a deliciously dark mind who does clearly enjoys seeing what kind of psychopathic killer she will release onto the streets of Edinburgh.

Ms Fields also likes to give her more regular characters a rough ride. So just when you think the fortunes are pointing the way ahead to D.I. Luc Callanach and D.C.I. Ava Turner, Fields will snatch away any chance of that in favour of yet another deeply frustrating set of encounters. This will they/won’t they game is played with aplomb, but this time Helen Fields has really set the cat amongst the pigeons.

A string of suicides in Edinburgh now appear to be murders, though it takes the police a while to come to that conclusion. In this fifth book in the series, Fields has strengthened he cast with some new promotions including DI Pax Graham and the team as a whole now looks more solid and lode bearing which should allow for greater flexibility in the forthcoming story arcs.

The murder/suicides form the first part of the story arc, whilst a long running story involving Luc and his past forms the second thread. I’m pleased to see that D.S. Overbeck plays a larger role in this book and we begin to understand a bit more about her as a character.

As to the serial killer, it’s fair to say that finding the culprit isn’t a hard spot, but that matters little as this well-written police procedural keeps you glued to your seat as you navigate the tension-fuelled pages.

Verdict: Dark, entertaining, witty. A fast-paced, thrilling story that keeps you on the edge of your seat and puts your heart in your mouth as you wait for the outcome of a battle to the death.