The Newcomer

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 5 Feb 2020

I've have never read anything by Fern Britton and The newcomer won't be the last one. Full of likable characters and Cornwall, An overall enjoyable read.
Another lovely Cornish story from Fern Britton. Great mix of characters and strong storyline. Loved Coming Home too.
Pendruggan is the small Cornish village that has been the setting for other books by Fern Britton. Fern writes with empathy and humour, telling a story that many will identify with - new people in the village, and the reactions of old established residents to them.
A well written, easy read that made me look for more from this witty writer.
Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to read this lovely book. - perfect for a cold wintry evening.
A sincere thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me an ebook copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I enjoyed this story very much and felt like I knew each character personally due to the description of them. I enjoyed the storyline. This is not my usual genre but in this instance I am extremely pleased and grateful for opening up my mind to something totally different. Thanks again.
An enjoyable read - a good insight into life in a vicarage and village life in Cornwall.

Believable characters, some very funny and relatable episodes and some people that I’ve taken to my heart - particularly Mamie, the vicar’s aunt.

4* a lovely read
Although this was a story I enjoyed it was let down by the characters.
By and large the characters were stereo types which really let it down.
Thanks to netgalley for a chance to read this book.

This was my first book by Fern Britton and I loved it.  Couldn’t put it down, will definitely be reading more of her books.
I thoroughly enjoyed this well written book. I will look out for more books by Fern in future.

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers fo allowing me to review this book.
As normal Fern Britton is able to write a story with some great characters who grow and develop as the story evolves.
It fely like you were along side them at every point. I did want just a little bit more from the characters some felt a bit surface level.
This is the first of Fern Britton’s books I have read, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. Fern’s love of Cornwall is evident throughout the book and her characters are well-formed. We mainly follow new vicar, Angela, as she moves into the village; however, there are also smaller sub-plots that keep the interest going along the way.
An enjoyable book, would be great as a summer read.
When the new Reverend Angel Whitehorn arrives in the village of Pendruggan in Cornwall some people in the small town are not so pleased with her modern views and not long after she starts to receive poison pen letters. Someone doesn't want her around.

This is this the first book I have read by Fern Britton and I was pleasantly surprised. An excellent story with interesting easy to relate to characters.

Highly recommended - this is a great book to get lost in on a miserable autumn morning.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in return for an honest review.
Angela has been drafter to Pendruggan for a year to become their parish priest for a year, her first parish Angela is nervous, while her husband is enjoying his years sabbatical from political journalism.

A good book with plenty of subplots to keep you guessing what will happen next.
I didn't think that I would enjoy this - but I did. Well paced, charming escapism. Pop it in your bag for a weekend away and enjoy!
A very enjoyable read about village and family life.  Perfect for a summer read.  Enjoyed the characters and the setting
Another great read from Fern Britton set in beautiful Cornwall. Set in the local vicarage, we follow the new vicar as she enters her post and tries to integrate into the community whilst also helping make it stronger. Thanks NetGalley!
Fern Britton at her finest! Loved everything about this book and can't recommend enough!!! 5 stars all the way!
I received a digital arc of #TheNewcomer from #Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've not read any of Fern's books before but I was on my way to Cornwall for a holiday so thought this seemed a fitting book for the journey down.

This was a good book but it didn't blow me away. I enjoyed it but it's not going to be a memorable one for me. I can't say there was anything specifically wrong with it, just not totally my cup of tea.
This is the first book I have read by Fern Britton and I really enjoyed it. The characters are easy fun and interesting, I particularly liked the main characters. I didn’t see the end coming which is always a sign of a good story. I would certainly read more of Fern Britton’s books in the future.
I have not read any books by Fern Britton before but will definitely read more.  I thought the book was lovely, easy to read and I easily warmed to the characters.  The story is set in an area I don’t know but could visualise the village green etc.  I loved the stories told by Mamie, farfetched in the eyes of the family but came across as a plausible life.  Mamie and Queenie got into a scrape and it made me smile. We all have met a character like Audrey in our lives and she came across as feisty, nosey but I guess really wanted to fit in. Village life can have its ups and downs but the story pulled everyone together with Angela as a Vicar trying to integrate and get village life organised and I felt this came through in the book. I did not see the ending as it happened – sign of a good book.
A charming story of a new vicar in a little village with rich characters and a lovely warm touch. Not everything goes perfectly and the mystery behind the poison pen letters will keep you guessing. Very enjoyable