Cover Image: Rules of the Road

Rules of the Road

This is a story about friendship and deals with two very sensitive topics, dementia and adult end of life decisions. Two friends embark on a road trip to Switzerland along with one of the women's father, Only one woman will return. I read this novel with a slight sense of disbelief but I liked the characters and the gentle style of storytelling.
When Terry can't get hold of her best friend Iris she starts to panic,  having just picked up her father who suffers from dementia she breaks in to her house in case she has had an accident as Iris suffers from MS.  Finding the house tidy and immaculate she knows there must be something wrong and then finds a letter from Iris saying that she has gone to Switzerland to end her life!  Terry jumps into the car with her father and heads to the port to find Iris and so starts the journey to Switzerland with the unlikely trio!

A lovely story dealing with a heartbreaking topic,  will Terry stop Iris doing what she wants to do or will she learn to understand her friend and what she is dealing with..... but whatever outcome you can guarantee there will be an adventure along the way
When she finds out that her friend Iris has gone missing, Dublin housewife Terry sets out to look for her. Finding out that she is planning to visit a clinic in Switzerland to end her life due to her progressive MS, Terry decides to accompany her. Which would be fine but Iris hates flying and Terry has her father in the car with her, her father who suffers from dementia. Thus begins a road trip like no other, a trip which will end Iris’s life and change Terry’s life irrevocably.
From its slightly off-putting premise, that of a terminally ill person wanting to end their life in an assisted suicide, Geraghty has produced a wildly entertaining road trip story. Often the sheer silliness of the plot makes one forget the profundity of long-term illness, both dementia and ms. That is what works so well, there is a gentle understanding of the nature of disease and the way this reflects on Terry’s life as a woman who lives for her family and her routine yet is given the opportunity to grow. A very clever book.
Wow. What a book. There are some incredibly tough issues broached within this book, the sort of ones where you’d take a sharp intake of breath if someone tried to discuss them with you. We have relationships, secrets, friendships, disability, mental health and ethics all rolled into a book that actually, given all those topics, has quite a sunny disposition.

From the opening lines until the very end and beyond, your heart will be clasped firmly within the grip of the pages of this book. You won’t be able to let go and, if you’re like me, you’ll probably be holding onto the emotions for a long while after you’ve processed the final word.
Terry is a very ordinary, slightly neurotic mother of two, with a father who is suffering from dementia and a husband who takes her for granted. She also has a friend suffering from M.S and so starts the story. Terry discovers accidentally that Iris is planning to go to Switzerland in order to end her life in a euthanasia facility. Shocked, Terry vows to travel with her in order to prevent this from happening. At times this book is very funny as we travel to England, through France and eventually into Switzerland. Terry discovers much about herself, her friend, her family and her father as she does so. No spoilers as to plot but suffice to say that Terry changes forever as a result of her journey. A lovely book and one I’d highly recommend. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
I tried several times but couldn’t get into this book, which is a shame as the central premise sounded very promising. Unfortunately, the writing style grated on me too much, as the sentences were so short and choppy. It threw me out of the story constantly and I found myself rewriting it in my head.
Thank you for the chance to review and I am sorry I could not be more positive.
This was a beautiful, sensitive and downright lovely read. It was funny, heart breaking and heart-warming in equal measures. It is about a deep bond of friendship between two women which is tested to breaking point by multiple sclerosis. That may sound a bit dark but it really isn’t. Terry and Iris, along with Terry’s dad, who suffers from dementia are on a road trip from Dublin to a certain clinic in Switzerland. Terry is determined to change Iris’ mind about this being her finally journey in life.

This is a wonderfully crafted book written with empathy, compassion, sensitivity and a lot of insight. The characters are really well drawn and the humour and banter very well described.

I really enjoyed reading Rules of the Road and I highly recommend it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book released a host of emotions. What a difficult subject for such a book. The road trip is bitter sweet with Terry following her friend Iris to talk her out of a trip from Ireland to Switzerland to end her life. A life severely curtailed by progressive MS. And Terry just happens to be accompanied by her dad, who is living with dementia. The story is funny and poignant, and manages to deal with serious issues. Along the way Terry finds herself questioning her quiet life as a stay at home mum. Will she keep her promise not to talk Iris out of her decision? Can a friend sit back and let her loved one end her life? What should have been a tough read was presented sensitively and with pathos and humour. #netgalley #rulesoftheroad
An interesting read. Brought up some tough topics. Bit unsure what  benefit  bringing the father on the trip brought to the story. But
the book was an  enjoyable read
Brilliant. A heartbreaking read. I loved this story. Iris is determined she is going to die in Zurich and Terry is determined to stop her. A beautiful story about love and friendship and enjoying life. Wonderful and definitely worth reading.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Initially I looked forward to reading this book about Iris who takes off on her way to Dignitas. She wants to do it her way which is why she has just taken off so worrying her friend Terry. She goes off in search of her friend with her father in tow who has dementia. I did enjoy this book when I first began reading it but unfortunately, half way I lost my way. I lost interest and I'm afraid to say that i couldn't finish it. It does deal with important issues such as family responsibilities, friendship and the ethical dilemma but i'm sorry it still couldn't hold my interest. Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book.
Terry,her father ,who is living with dementia, and her friend Iris are driving through France to Switzerland. Terry isn't a confident driver,especially in a foreign country. Her father who initially taught her to drive offers helpful hints. She copes until Iris goes missing after a huge argument. Iris is asking her to do something which tests the boundaries of friendship. Can Terry find her?
Such a lovey saddening but also uplifting read! A bit of a slow starter, however once it got started I couldn’t put it down!
I realise I am very much in the minority with my review of this book, but, having been really looking forward to reading it I was very disappointed. The list of chapters at the beginning started my feeling of unease - so many and each heading so long! Then Terry the worrier irritated me and I couldn't warm to her at all, and why was she seemingly unconcerned about having to take her father out of "the rat - infested old people's home" while it was fumigated? I then also felt very strongly that Iris had taken a decision about her life that was only hers to take and should have been respected.
I'm pleased so many other readers enjoyed it though and wish the author success.
Thank you to netgalley and Harper Collins for an advance copy of this book
OMG I thought when I first started this book that it was going to be too sad. Whilst ultimately it does have a sad ending, the journey to get there is inspirational and uplifting. Friendship tested along the way but when it really matters they are there for each other. The new 'Me Before You'. You must read it.
I really enjoyed this 'road novel' with a difference. The characters and situations are beautifully described, you can feel yourself with them on the ferry, in the car and in France. The reality of loving someone with Alzheimer's Disease is beautifully tender, but doesn't shirk away from the difficulties. Ultimately a middle aged coming of age story, this will draw you in and pull you along with it until the end.
A well written book that deals with potentially hard hitting subjects, MS, anxiety, dementia and assisted end of life. I didn't really gel with any of the characters. I found Terry to be quite annoying in her worrying about worrying mode and didn't really think that a woman like her would have found herself in the situations she did. Iris knew what she wanted and wasn't going to let anyone stop her and poor old Terry's Dad with his dementia was portrayed as such a sad character. The storyline was handled sensitively throughout and gave me plenty to think about.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers and the author for an advance copy of this book.
I really loved this book. Such a warm friendship between Iris and Terry. I really understood Terry's motives for not wanting Iris to go to Zurich. The adventures they had together after Terry  tries to hijack Iris' plans along with her aged father who is suffering from dementia...were warm, funny and full of compassion.  Terry's family back home also have their own issues with her sudden disappearance. A lovely lovely book, what you want for someone.....is not always what they want or need. Highly recommend
Rules of the Road is a heartfelt and emotional read.  Terry has been married to Brendan for 25 years and has 2 grown up daughters - they all completely rely on her for everything and take her for granted. Her father has alzeimers and the home he is in is closed for a week due to mice infestation - she collects him and at the same time discovers that her friend Iris who has progressive MS goes missing and herein starts an adventure across Europe that none of them are really prepared for ! It is a funny and tragic story which I found very emotional at times . It deals with difficult and controversial matters but they are all done in a lovely way.  It is also a beautiful story about friendships.
Oh my - a real 'what would I do?' novel! I loved this book and cried at the end. Our heroine is placed in an impossible position, between her best friend and her personal beliefs, and every decision she takes is a personal moral dilemma.
The story takes us from Ireland to Switzerland and back again. It takes us from shock and grief to surprise and joy, from moments of tears to moments of laughter and all through it uplifts, brings joy and celebrates the most important things we can have in our lives, no matter how long or how short: love, friendship and the strength to follow our hearts.