The Bad Mothers' Book Club

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Apr 2019

This was a completely relatable and funny (in places) read. It absolutely nails the feeling of being a less than perfect parent/spouse etc and it was easy to fly through this book. Definitely recommended!
This is the story of three women (and their friends) as they deal with motherhood, husbands, and always trying to fit in and be perfect. Emma has moved to Liverpool with her husband and their two children. She thought this would be the start of a new life for them, but her husband works long hours and her children aren’t settling in school as well as she hoped. Also, it’s hard finding new friends so maybe she should join Jools’ exclusive book club.
Jools knows everyone is jealous of her, with her perfect body, her footballer husband, their children and their beautiful house, but her life is far from perfect and she is doing her best to keep her secret hidden and the illusion up.
Maggie is unhappy with her life and her marriage but she is not ready to admit it, not even to herself. The book club is her chance to relax, but why is Jools keeping her at distance?
Addressing both funny and more serious themes, this is a story about family and love, but, above all, about friendship and parenting that makes for an enjoyable and entertaining read.
I really enjoyed this warm and funny book focusing on a group of mothers whose children all attend the same school. I loved the way the different main characters developed throughout the book, they were all very different but as the book progressed you get to understand more about them and the way they are and the way they react to things. A really good reminder that what you see on the surface of someone can be very different to what's actually going on in their life.
A warm and realistic novel about a group of women facing the trials and tribulations of life and learning about themselves and their strength in the process. An inspiring feminist fiction title in Keris Stainton's inimitable voice. I really enjoyed this one!
I really enjoyed this book about a group of mothers at the same school, all which do like reading.

Yet although there are some book club meetings featured, this story is about so much more than that.

It shows just how different people are coping with being parents, the challenges they face in parenting, professional and personal lives.

There are many moments that will make you laugh, and then there is Jules' much more serious story line.

I adored Sam and Rosie, Emma's two children, who are worlds apart, with individual personalities, and who both get rather a starring role in this book.

The Bad Mother's Book Club is a fun story, that was reasonably quick to read. It was the first book I have read by the author, and now i am wondering why on earth that is!

Thank you to Netgalley and Trapeze for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
This is my first book by Keris but it won't be my last, I'm quite a slow reader with it taking me a week or more to finish a book well I flew through this in four days! I am not a mother but love books about mums and clubs so this was the perfect book for me.

This book had a whole host of characters- some you love, some you hate and some you are a bit in the middle with and to be able to make all those types of characters in the same book takes skill.  I enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations of Emma, Maggie, Jools lives and how they managed to deal with friendship, love, marriage, health and even though this book dealt with tough subjects it was funny too. i am looking forward to book two and hopefully many more to come.

Thanks goes to net galley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book. It is so honest yet homorous, joyous and sparkly. I gobbled it up in one sitting and marvelled at how the characters are real and so relatable. I felt like I was part of the club and did not wanted to leave ( the club and the book).
Hope there would be a sequel, please!
I received an early preview copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I like to read books about Mothers who are not perfect, and have everyday struggles. I find them to be more realistic about parenting, and the problems that occur.
I found this book hard to get into at first, as there were several mothers, and it was difficult to work out which one the book was writing about. There was a good range of characters, each had different problems that they were trying to keep hidden.
The book behind with Emma, who has just moved to Liverpool,bored and lonely, she tried to seek out friends at the school gates. This starts off badly, but she sees a way in, through Jools, who is the head of the PTA, and very glamorous. Jools has an exclusive bookclub, which Emma is desperate to join, as she sees this as a way of becoming popular.  As things start to go wrong, Emma finds out that she is not the only person with problems, and maybe there should be a new book club instead.
This book has a lot of funny moments, and if you have ever been  a Mother at the school gate, you will definitely recognise some of the character types. There is also drama, and a lot of secrets.
The book was not bad, but I found it didn't keep my attention, it was difficult to follow in places. If you like books about realistic parenthood, then this is worth reading.
It all begins with a book club. An exclusive book club with four women, lives entangled with their own fair share of secrets and skeletons. Emma has just moved to West Kirby, from London, determined to have a better life for her husband, her two children and herself. But it's not easy settling in, finding a social life and getting her children settled at their new school.

It took a couple of chapters for me to get into this story, the first few pages flit between different POVs and I found it hard to grasp whose voice was whose. But as the story found its rhythm, I began to care about the characters and what would happen to them.

If you've ever struggled through the daily school run, found yourself in a new place or if you like exploring family dynamics - this book is for you.
Good book, great read.
Highly recommend it.
Thank you to both NetGalley and Orion Publishing for my eARC in exchange for my honest unbiased opinion and review.
I'm really enjoying novels by Keris Stainton recently. She has a great style of writing that draws you in and makes you want to continuously read on! This one is no different, it's enjoyable, emotional and completely relatable - even if you aren't a mum! Some parts were a bit too dark for me but I still enjoyed reading this novel. Would recommend.
Keris is one of my favourite comfort reads, and this new adult novel from her hit the spot perfectly. It follows a group of mothers with children at the same school in Liverpool, all of whom have problems in their lives. Sometimes it's related to their marriage, their health or their sense of self as a mother and person. This was a lot more serious than some of Keris' other books, and it got quite dark at times. It really captured motherhood perfectly, and I'm going to be thinking about these women for a long time.