Monty Python Speaks! Revised and Updated Edition

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Much is known about Monty Python but usually through false memories, annoying friends misquoting the Spanish Inquisition scenes from Holy Grail, urban myths and legends.
It seems that much could be more known, and this book delivers.

Interviewees include:
The Pythons:
John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin.
And Co-conspirators:
Barry Took, Ian Macnaughton, David Sherlock, Carol Cleveland, John Goldstone, Mark Forstater, Julian Doyle, Terry Bedford, Howard Atherton, Nancy Lewis, Douglas Adams, Hank Azaria.

This is a revised edition to be updated from the 1990s to present day. The book is not only funny stories, it really is a warts and tell-all.
What I really enjoyed about this book is that it is an oral history – the actual words from the Python boys and collaborators, rather than a writer's interpretation. Throughout reading, I found myself trying to find youtube clips of certain sketches (I was thrilled to find they have their own official channel – go watch!). And subsequently lost many hours in the reverie of Monty Python clips.

Many of the urban myths were addressed and it was a delight to have a sneak peek behind the curtain that was the BBC of yesteryear. (Examples include when a severed leg was mistaken for a penis, and how the audience cheered because Chapman on the twenty-something take finally got his lines right and then the cheers couldn't be taken out in post-production.)

It's impossible to imagine a world now, not only in comedy or television had it not been influenced by the silliness that Monty Python instilled.

Well done Mr Morgan.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Thank you so much the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary electronic copy in return for an honest review.
As a huge monty python fan this is hardly an unbiased review and it was unlikely I wouldn’t enjoy this. I learnt the odd new bit but not that much, but I loved how at points you could hear the voices of the main cast and their humour. Lovely to read about their friendships. A great book it was hard to put down until I’d finished it.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and The Fourth Estate publisher and have decided to give an honest review.
I have been a fan of Monty Python and any thing Monty Python since it all began as well as some of the other shows that they have appeared in. This book was a feast of information and I devoured it with realist. So much valuable information about each and everyone involved with the shows and with the cast of wonderful characters that make up the team of Monty Python was so much fun to imagine that they were on the TV screen actually giving these interviews. It made me a very happy reader and I would recommend this book to all fans both young and old and the all those in-between  to read and enjoy the words of wisdom of this very talented group of comedians.
I love the Phythons. Perhaps more than I love the Beatles. These men have popped up in all aspects of my life, so I was very happy to read this biography- for want of a better word. Each of the surviving Phythons is given a opportunity to voice their opinions on various aspects of the groups infancy, infamy and success.
You can hear the voice and tone of each man; some fans wouldn’t even need the subheadings to identify them.
First and foremost, i'm a Python fan so this review will be a little biased because of that. This presents the careers of the Pythons together and separately and being an updated version touched on what has happened since this was published in the late 90's.
It's an interesting read if you're a comedy fan or if you just want to learn more about the geniuses that are the Pythons.
I enjoyed Monty Python Speaks.  It gives a chronological account of Python from its birth through interview extracts with all six male Pythons, Carol Cleveland and others involved in the production.  It’s not especially funny, but it’s interesting and entertaining.

I should probably say that I was about 15 when Python began on TV and was soon a devotee, so I have more interest in this than some other people may.  I enjoyed reading about the group dynamics, the details of the writing process and the films – especially Life Of Brian.  I could perhaps have done without such detailed chronicling of the exact nature of the funding and release of different programmes and films in the USA, but I suppose it’s good to have these things on record – and one can always resort to skimming.

I’m not sure I learned much that was really new, but I’m glad to have a fuller picture of the characters involved and the key events – the frank discussion of Graham Chapman’s alcoholism and his contribution to the group was especially interesting to me, for instance.

This is a good book to dip into, and I often found myself reading more at a sitting than I expected to, which is a good sign.  Recommended.

(My thanks to Fourth Estate for an ARC via NetGalley.)
"What binds Python together is a similar sense of humour, a general consensus about what is funny. If you'd written something that appealed to the group sense of humour, that would go right through the group. That's why we worked well as a group, certainly you didn't have to explain what was funny; there really was a unanimity deep down."

Informative and delightful, Morgan's novel consists of the Python's interviews in which they talk about all things Monty Python-y, the behind the scenes stories, the revolutionary road they lead, their friendship and hardships.
I requested this book as I'm a Monty Phyton fan.
I decided to have a look thinking "I will read it later" but I read it until 2 am as I couldn't put it down.
I was so enthusiastic that I had to talk about it to my FB friends: 3 of them decided to buy the book (they're Italian btw).
I want to summarize what I think of this book: it's fantastic, go and buy it.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to HarperCollins UK and Netgalley for this ARC
Fantastic hilarious informative for lovers of Monty Python for those who grew up with them those who have watched them in reruns as a piece of comedy history this is the book for you,A book you can dip in and out of so many memories skits laughs.Highly recommend.
#netgalley #Harpercolinsuk4thestate.