I Have a Question about Cancer

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

This is a surprise. I honestly would have no idea how to explain cancer to a child, but it's something that needs to be explained, rather than completely omitting the topic.
The book amazingly gave very true answers in a way that a child would understand.

I'm not a fan of the art but maybe it's suitable for children.
Absolutely perfect.

Pg 42 has the same cue card visual for the two questions: Do all people with cancer have surgery? and Can someone die from cancer? (I think the visual card for the latter question should not have smiling faces)

Thanks to the publisher for the ARC. All the best to the authors and SymbolStix illustrations team who have created the images.
This is a very simple introduction to cancer for children. The information is good and a nice start when discussing cancer with young children. The illustrations are a bit lacking but attractive to small children.
I wish the illustrations did better service to the content of this book. My own child had brain cancer and she appreciated this book, but felt that it didn't get the same amount of love and care as books about "normal" kids. Important topic and she felt like it could help her friends understand what she has been through better.
This is a book that I wish never would have had to be written, but alas cancer is a reality in our world to many, and informative books like this one help open up a dialogue about it and gets emotional conversations flowing.  Cancer is a very difficult subject to tackle but this book does a great job in highlighting clear answers that kids want to ask if a loved one is experiencing such a scary subject.

The book is divided into three components:  the complete story, a short picture story aimed at those who have Autism Spectrum Disorder or other special needs, and suggestions for parents, educators, or caregivers who acquire help in addressing this very painful subject.

"I Have a Question about Cancer" is based on actual questions posed by kids who want a deeper understanding of what is happening to someone who has cancer.  Reading and discussion of the book can help calm fears and can generate even more questions to ask that will give them peace and understanding by opening up and talking about it.

This book would be a wonderful asset not only in a home setting but also in a doctor' office, a hospital, a clinic, a classroom or school library just to name a few.  Both the authors are well qualified to have written this clear, concise book and thankfully to share it with kids that are grappling to understand what the dreaded word "cancer" means.  I highly recommend this book.
I Have a Question about Cancer is a book which aims to give children in general but also those on the autism spectrum and with special needs answers to questions they may have when a person they know has cancer. One aim is to help ease the disruption based anxiety this could cause to a child used to finding safety in order and routine. I was drawn to this book because I have a niece who is autistic and find it difficult to find resources to help talk about such topics on her wavelength and am delighted to find this gem. It is also based on actual questions children have asked concerning cancer and it helps remove the fear factor from an adult tasked with helping a child understand this difficult topic.

We are informed that the structure of the book follows three categories: 1) The Complete Story (using "straightforward text and clear illustrations for children who process information best through words and pictures"); 2) Short Picture Story (for children "who learn best through visual cues" and want to re-read the story and think independently about it); 3) Suggestions for parents and caregivers ("ideas for parents and caregivers in supporting a child")

I am very happy to wholeheartedly recommend the questions about cancer and suggested answers contained in this book. The ebook advanced copy I received did not have any illustrations or pictures (presumably they will be added later) so obviously I can't comment on those till I see them.

This is a really helpful book and could be used as a template for those who understand children with special needs to create their own answers as well. I can best describe the value of this book by relating that I find it really helpful in preparation for discussions with my own autistic niece and it helps ease the fear factor an adult might feel in how to broach such subjects with children. The authors Arlen Grad Gaines and Meredith Englander Polsky both have substantial and relevant clinical experience in this area and it shows in the sense of authenticity I felt when reading this book. Both the authors and Jessica Kingsley Publishers have done a great service to parents and guardians of special needs children by publishing this book and I thank them for it.

Thanks to NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for the chance to review this ARC. I will also post to Amazon and Goodreads upon publication.
I read this book with a friend’s child in mind. They will soon need to discuss cancer and it is such a difficult and emotive thing to discuss that I thought this book might do the trick. It is informative and it does answer tricky questions but I didn’t feel that it was reader-friendly. I’m not a big fan of the questIon and answer format and felt that providing a narrator, a character even, detracted from the purpose of the book and made you feel like you had to look at it from their perspective rather than being encouraged to question your own feeling. It was almost like you were reading somebody else’s story about cancer which the title doesn’t suggest. It is a worthwhile read when you are face talking to young people about this horrendous subject.
Thank you NetGalley!  I really thought this was a great book. Personally, I am dealing with a type of cancer right now and I read with my kids. They really found it informative and I found it helpful with explaining it. This would be GREAT to have in dr's offices for parents with kids to give their children. A Cancer diagnosis is scary and overwhelming. a very thoughtful and informative. Wish I would have had this when we told our kids of my diagnosis back in first part of July.

Cancer is a difficult topic for any parent or educator to explain to a child, perhaps even more so when the child has Autism Spectrum Disorder or other special needs. This book is designed specifically to help children with these additional needs to understand what having cancer means.

Cancer is a touchy subject with all children but this book handles it from the view of special needs. This book is a wonderful way to touch upon the subject with a child who may not understand all that it entails. It is clear, concise and the illustrative method is great for visual learners.

This book (along with the ones on divorce and death are an important learning and explaining tool: frankly it should be in every single library, civic or home.