Christmas Secrets by the Sea

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Jan 2019

Like a warm cup of hot cocoa, that's how I describe this book.  A Warm and endearing story. Most enjoyable. A new to me author that I will read more.
Perfect cosy read! Definitely one I will recommend to others. I hope to see more of these characters in future books.
Leichte Unterhaltung, was fürs Herz, eine nette Geschichte rund um sympathische und authentische Charaktere. Wird nicht lang im Gedächtnis bleiben, ist aber eine richtig schöne Lektüre.
You don’t get a lot of Christmassy seaside books as it isn’t generally the place to be in the northern hemisphere with icy gales and lashing rain. So the very title of this book is an invitation to find out more about what is probably going to be a ‘different sort’ of romcom.
And it is! The cupcakes are firmly, and thankfully, behind her – there are way too many cupcakes in chicklit at the moment! – so Tansy is rebuilding her life and recovering from financial and emotional betrayal by her ex. She stumbles into a job with a TV crew that’s filming locally, and this is what throws into the company of Davin.
Irishman Davin is as miserable as a wet Irish week to start with. He takes some warming up to, but we and Tansy persist and eventually discover a nicer but hurting human being within.
A nearby café is in danger of going under and together Tansy and Davin become invested in helping to save it. We expect this of Tansy as she’s proved herself to be a kind, genuine, caring person, but it’s still a bit of a surprise that the seemingly self-centred Davin becomes quite so involved.
There’s fascinating character development, plenty of action, twists in the plot and a happy ending in this feelgood romcom. At times the comedy is almost dark but there was a twinkle in the author’s eye as she wrote it, I imagine, and it all works out the best for everyone – two- and four-legged – in the end!#
Tansy has lost everything, her smart job, flat and boyfriend and has ended up penniless in a camper van on a beach in Dorset...... her only friend Brian the scruffy dog who is determined to adopt her!  As there is a TV company on location down there she manages to get some casual work..... looking after the grumpy star Davin!  Things might not start off to well between them but if you add Davin's whippet to the mix to befriend Brian things can only get better!

Another lovely book by this author,  you know that you are going to be left with a nice warm feeling without the book being too fluffy.   I liked both of the main characters,  especially Davin..... and Brian of course!
Secrets unveil little by little in this romantic novel, in which romance is not the most important aspect of the characters' relationship.
While moving around the country, Tansy gets to a seaside town where she'll meet new friends who will help her get a new perspective.
I really enjoyed reading this story, filled with real emotions and relatable characters.
Thanks Netgally and the publisher for my copy of this book.
This is just lovely! A real heartwarming Christmas tale set on the Dorset coast. We meet tansy who is a little down in her luck, David who has all the charm in the world - when he wants to and Brian who is dog with a taste for sardines!
Read it with a mug of tea, a warm fire and your pet at your feet!
I just finished it today . Thank you so much to the publisher for sending this book my way . It had such a sweet romance . Was super descriptive , with a little slow pace which made it all the more amazing to read . All in all I loved it 💛💛 & the characters backstory was so well done 😭🙌
Will post a full review in a week .
I really could get into this book got half way so didn’t finish it, it sounded like my type of book and haven’t read this author again, sorry
Christmas Secrets By The Sea is a romantic comedy set in Dorset. This is a cute fun story. No big surprises, but it's enjoyable and entertaining. The characters are loveable and endearing. The story is heart warming and perfect for a little holiday reading. It's a charming romcom Christmas. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
DNF for me. I felt it to be slow and predictable up to what I read. I tried to get into it but could not.
I basically only read romance novels lounging on the beach in the middle of summer or curled up on my couch leading up to Christmas. This book was both a Christmas "snowmance" and a beach read!!!

There's just something about reading Christmas books that automatically attracts me, even if I wouldn't pick it up the other 11 months out of the year.

This is a very stereotypical Christmastime story: two strangers, Tansy and Davin, meet (by the beach!!) and in the whirlwind of real-life struggles camouflaged by the holiday season, they get thrown together. After some tense words and exchanges, they may or may not fall in love!

I really enjoyed Dorset and the small, beach town vibe this story had. I had a very clear image of what the world looked like to them, and I enjoyed how the language and details matched up with the setting.

The writing style was okay; not necessarily my favorite but not bad enough to make me want to stop reading. The dialogue was extremely cheesy and forced at times. The corniest factor didn't bother me as much because it fit in nicely with the story and the setting, but sometimes the characters felt awkward saying their lines.

I didn't enjoy Tansy at all, but I did sympathize with her. I enjoyed seeing her grow as a character throughout the story and rebuild herself, although I wish she could've done on her own without Davin's help. By the end of the story, I didn't feel her character development had changed all that much, but there was still something.

One of my struggles with this story was how repetitive Tansy (and therefore, the writing) was. She would constantly repeat the same catchphrases to other characters, and when she started thinking and getting in her head, unfortunately it was easy for me to gloss over her complaints.

Davin, however, was such a fun character! I loved his storyline and learning more about him as the story progressed. He had some funny one-liners and honestly was not nearly as annoying as I was anticipating or as he was described.

Tansy and Davin's relationship started off great. There was definitely a lot of tension at the beginning and I really enjoyed reading their scenes together. There was definitely a strong build up to their romantic relationship, but when it finally got there I felt it was a bit forced and rushed and not as passionate as I would've liked.

Overall, despite some grievances with Tansy or some scenes that felt inauthentic, I really enjoyed reading this Christmastime story. It was a great wintery read right before the holidays!
Good old fashioned romance! I really enjoy a British romantic comedy - the witty repartee and the slow building of the romance. This book did not disappoint. I enjoyed watching the characters unfold and the story build to its ending. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
A really heartwarming and engaging read! As an Irish person I loved the fact that the male lead was played by a traveller. So refreshing and different in these type of books. The character was not your typical one dimension portrayal of travellers. Instead it showed him with much depth and made his story so compelling. I loved that the relationship between the two main characters played out over the entire book and developed at a steady pace.

I've never read anything by Jane Lovering before, but I am going to look out for the name in my library! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series!
A wonderful story, especially to read during the holiday season as it wasn’t just ‘fluff’. It has a good story line, romance, emotion and was quite heartwarming.
This was a lovely read - it was a little predictable in places, but the characters were well rounded and plausible, and the story kept going at a good pace.
Thanks to NetGalley and Farrago for the opportunity to read this book. All opinions are my own.

This was one of those light Christmas romance reads that ended up being much deeper than I anticipated!

Tansy Merriweather isn’t doing so great. She’s living in an old, broken down caravan in an isolated seaside town, not sure where her next meal is coming from or what her future looks like. She’s a long way from the successful London businesswoman she used to be, living her dream life. To top things off, a scruffy dog has decided she’d make the perfect owner – which is the last thing she needs. Fortunately, Tansy makes friends at a local café on the beach, and manages to find some work to tide her over. Unfortunately, that work involves spending the day with a very grumpy, conceited TV star, Davin O’Riordan. OK, so he’s handsome, but Tansy isn’t quite sure what his fans see in him. Until she spends some time getting to know him…and he starts breaking down some of her emotional barriers…and the two form a special bond. Christmas is fast approaching, and while this may not be the life Tansy imagined or dreamed of, with new friends and a possible romance, maybe this holiday won’t be quite as awful as she feared.

*Sigh* Christmas time, a seaside English town, a brooding Irishman, adorable dogs, romance… This was a charming read, with more depth that I anticipated. Tansy carries quite a few burdens, as does Davin, and parts of the novel were pretty intense. But overall, it was heartwarming and hopeful. The characters were charming and perfectly imperfect. And the setting! I loved the rich descriptions of the Dorset town. 4 festive stars for this one – if this is a genre you gravitate towards, definitely give it a shot!
What a heartwarming and emotional ride this book was! I loved it! The cast of characters were so enjoyable and realistic.  I hope to read more of Lovering’s work.  Thanks to Farrago and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I am a fan of Jane Lovering and always enjoy her writing style, her humour and her quirky characters. This is another great read that warms your heart and entertains with great skill. The characters of Tansy, Davin and all of the people in the novel, along with the dogs,  leap off the page and the author, as  always, provides a good plot with an uplifting resolution. A wonderful read to cosy up with whether it's Christmas or after. "Christmas Secrets by the Sea" is about the struggles of life and how love can win through. Loved it!
Rescued from Drowning

This book deals with agony and loss and rejection and homelessness and abandonment--and is screamingly funny. Allowing that bad things happen to good people, nonetheless I was laughing out loud long before I was through reading the first chapter. The truly serious bits serve well to bracket the basic facts of life which tend to bathos rather than pathos and can generally be more realistically viewed with mordant wit than 'Sturm und Drang.' Of course it is the latter that informs the former and our author knows just how to twist a phrase to point out the general absurdities of life amidst the every day tragedies which can range from losing ones glasses to losing a beloved.