Secret Things and Highland Flings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

This is my first read from Tracy Corbett. Not my favorite book, had a hard time getting into it.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
I love the description of the Scottish Highlands!

Lexi is a kind woman whose life been miserable, since her ex-husband left her with all the debts. I like how positive she is despite of her current situation and her expertise with art is one of a kind.

I find Olly a very attractive man too. Not the typical royalty. He deals his responsibility truly well. He is indeed a modern Earl. I like what he did for Lexi! Absolutely sweet!

I enjoy reading the story. Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for the ARC!
Thanks to NetGalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
A very good read and one I can highly recommend to others.
I could not put this down.
Thoroughly enjoyable with an amazing cast of characters that you cannot help but engage with.
I really enjoyed this entertaining romance novel. A lovely setting in the Scottish Highlands - this book made me want to visit the Scottish Highlands. Warm well written characters which developed beautifully as the book progressed - which I enjoyed. A story with obstacles to overcome, relationships, friendships and trust.

A perfect easy read - ideal for the beach, garden or curled up on the sofa on a rainy day.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is my first read by this author.  I enjoyed the story but it fell a bit flat at times, the setting, characters and plot where there but something was missing for it to be a great book for me.  There was thefts, break-ins, lies, trust issues, sibling drama, chemistry, and a bit of romance to keep you reading to the end.  I love a Highlands story and this is why I wanted to read this book that I received an arc copy of by NetGalley for my honest review.

I read this book to the end but it was a book that took me a bit longer to complete and grab my complete interest to keep me tapping my kindle.  The writing and structure of this book was done well with NO issues of errors or typos.  I would love to read more about Tasha who was Lexi Ryan sister and also Olly's sisters.  Love learning more about the art world.
What can I say about this book other than it was good. Not my usual kind of read but it was ok. The story was a little disappointing, but I did read it until the end.
I loved this book! Lexi and Olly were just fun to follow. Their first meeting was funny and kind of charming. I loved that they had complex pasts and didn’t just fall right for each other. Their pasts and how it affected them both helped to make this story!
This was really cute! I got approved for it on Netgalley ages ago, but it had been languishing on my kindle.

Lexi, an art gallery owner, has been gypped out of nearly everything by her ne’er-do-well ex-husband. Desperate to save her gallery from foreclosure, she has taken on cataloguing the Wentworth collection at their isolated Scottish Castle.

Meanwhile Oliver Wentworth has just returned home, 11 years after being driven away by his father. Now the new Earl, Olly is trying to mend fences with his sisters, without revealing what led him to leave in the first place.

Lexi and Olly’s relationship does have a lot of the “misunderstandings created by not revealing everything” trope going on — but they both have good reasons for keeping their secrets. And the story itself is funny, not very steamy, and sweet.
A story full of secrets and lies

An emotional rollercoaster where I don’t think a single one of the main characters didn’t have a secret or something they were trying to hide!

Based between an art gallery in Windsor and a castle in the Scottish highlands the story follows 2 families and the troubles that they are facing, both believing that the other will be their salvation

Lexi owns her own gallery in Windsor but has major money problems due to her lying, cheating ex-husband being a conman leaving her bankrupt. She is commissioned by the Wentworth family in Scotland to look at various works of art at their estate with the aim of selling them.
For Lexi, this could mean a sizeable commission which could save her from her financial woes. However could Lexi’s secret come out and ruin everything she has worked for?

Olly is an Earl (but doesn’t at all look like what Lexi thinks an Earl should look like) and as part of the Wentworth family he is aware of their financial situation but like Lexi he has a secret one that could cause a major scandal and bring about a legal case against the family they can little afford

As Lexi travels to Scotland, her and Olly become close but will their secrets destroy any hope for anything more between them?

To make matters more interesting both Lexi and Olly have sisters with secrets of their own to throw into the mix making the story more dramatic but this makes the characters feel real and more relatable as at least 2 of the secrets will strike a chord in quite a few peoples lives

I really enjoyed this book with a lot of it making me smile from the beginning to the end!

I would definitely recommend this amazing story
Secret Things and Highland Flings is about Lexi, a gallery owner  in Windsor with a kickass twin sister and a con artist for an ex-husband. Then there's Olly and his two sisters in Scotland, who organise for Lexi to catalogue and sell their late parents' art collection. What follows is a tale of romance, art, betrayal and redemption. I liked the art angle and that the story was told from both Lexi and Olly's perspectives. Highly recommend picking up a copy this summer.
Light-hearted, sweet and frothy. I liked it but it wasn't the most believable plot.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Fantastic tale. Take a chick lit base and add in a scam, a heist and a castle then enjoy! Frothy, light hearted and full of will they won’t they romance. Easy to read and easy to enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale and getting to know the main characters.
After Lexi’s ex cheats and leaves, she spends all of her time picking up the mess of broken financial pieces he’s left behind. But everything will be fine so long as she keeps her art gallery going. And with her new job of evaluating a private art collection for an estate in Scotland, things are finally looking up. That is until she comes across a mysterious painting in the family’s collection. Soon she’s whisked off on a Highland adventure with Olly, the suddenly new Early of Horsley, whose own family secrets draw them together in the art world.

Author Tracy Corbett kicks things off with a bit of an explosion. A cheating ex suddenly back in the picture. Shady insurance money. Stunning art. And that’s all before the heroine even meets her potential love interest on the page— and that encounter involves a misunderstood break in and a knife. All of this might sound a bit hectic and, in a way, it is. However, Corbett’s work shines best when she’s racing to a clear path through all the chaos.

Part of why this works is her careful attention to the romantic leads. Lexie is at a low point in her life, scrambling to hold her art gallery together while forging a new life for herself. Olly is at a similar low point as he’s just inherited a financially unstable estate from his father. And since there’s such an obvious connection between them, their stories are expertly woven together— if only they could just see how they’re connected.

All of this isn’t to suggest everything is always so charming. At its base, the plot relies on some deception from both Lexie and Olly. However, Corbett manages to approach these elements that could be off-putting in such a compelling and realistic way. These are characters simply acting as they naturally would in complicated situations, and it makes for refreshing reading. As in life, stories can’t always wrap up in a sweet ending with no broken ‘rules’, and this book is proof of that. Toss in an awful ex, a few prickly siblings, and some legal questions, and there’s plenty of tension to go with the romance.

Yet, the star of this book is perhaps Corbett’s Scotland backdrop that provides a swoon-worthy setting, topping off this fun and surprising romance.
A great book! Something fascinating to curl up with on a rainy evening, holding a cup of tea... The characters are believable and realistic. Kudos to the writer!
I thought that this book had a lot of potential. I liked the whole art forgery/collection appraisal premise, which could have been very intriguing. However, I didn’t get a lot of chemistry between Olly and Lexi.  I thought there was too much exposition and not enough real action. And the whole plot arc with Lexi’s ex-husband Marcus got too convoluted. There may be other readers who love it and find lots to like, but I had a hard time getting through it. Thank you to Avon Books UK (via NetGalley) for the opportunity to read a complimentary digital ARC of this book.
This was not my type of book and I was very disappointed in it.
I had such high hopes for this book
Funny, feel good, romantic, chicklit, with amazing characters, a great setting, a fabulous storyline and full of wit, wisdom, humour, love and sparkling with feel good summer vibes.
The story of Lexi and Olly. When they first meet they don't get off to the best of starts!

Mainly set in the higlands of Scotland, the setting sounds amazing.

A great range of characters including the siblings of both Lexi and Olly.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a voluntary and honest review.
3.5 stars (rounded up to 4 stars)
Lexi's life has been a little bit of a mess lately. Her ex-husband ran off to Spain with his assistant, leaving her homeless, bankrupt, and close to losing her beloved art gallery, handed down to her by her grandmother. When she is commissioned to evaluate & sell some art from a family estate, she gets a big surprise that she isn't expecting.
Olly has recently reconnected with his family, after leaving abruptly 11 years prior. His sisters are back at their family estate in the Scottish Highlands, and they're having to try to figure out what to do with the house, as their finances are tight.
When Lexi and Olly meet, they are attracted to each other, but unsure how to proceed. Neither realizes that the other is hiding something. Will they be able to overcome their secrets?
I thought this was a cute book! It was a sweet story, and I loved the mixture of the art in the story (especially with the references to famous paintings). The setting in Scotland was beautiful, and I loved the descriptions. I would say this was the romance equivalent of a cozy mystery - sweet, fluffy, and enjoyable. It was a sweet romance, but wasn't a steamy one. I enjoyed it!
Lexie is an art gallery owner who is sent to appraise the valuable works of a nobles Scottish family and gets tied up into their lives. She falls for Ollie, who is the titled noble of the house, while trying to determine the validity of a famous work of art. She is also dodging her ex-husband who financially ruined her.

I had mixed feelings about this book. I felt it had the potential to be similar to Sophie Kinsella or Katie Fforde, who I both love. I think it fell a little flat. I didn’t really feel the passion  between Ollie and Lexie and I didn’t feel a connection to the other minor characters. That could just be me—I would still recommend to fans of women’s fiction.

Special thanks to NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.