Gone in the Night

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Sep 2019

Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read a complementary copy of this book in return for review based upon my honest opinion.

This was a great rainy long weekend read. Sitting in our cosy cabin watching the rain and reading a good book with a cup of cocoa; what could be better.  This was a good story, lots of twists and turns; no one was who they said they were, with a great conclusion.
A good read with a lot of suspense. This story kept me interested the whole way through.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Wow!
This book captured me from the first page. I had never read a Mary Jane Riley book before but now have all of her Alex Devlin books in my TBR list.

Alex Devlin is a very believable character. She's not perfect and does make mistakes and I love that. It makes her human.

The story didn't have many twists as such but the mystery surrounding the story is kept completely hidden until the end, when it suddenly all makes sense.

A great story for readers into this genre.
Absolutely fantastic I enjoyed it from start to finish I love Alex and would love to find out more about what makes her so passionate about her job the riders are such a weird family and they prove that power and money makes people think there invincible I love the homeless connection and the facts that homeless people do disappear and nobody takes an interest very well thought out the ending was also very well thought out as not all stories have a happy ending I have downloaded the next book in the series
This is a mystery where the storytelling and descriptions are plentiful. Unfortunately, the plot isn't that good, and the book is rather boring.
My first book by the author and although is #4 in the series I could easily read it in a few hours and understand where everyone's coming from.
A fast-paced, suspenseful read that kept me wanting more and not stopping because I found the story very entrailing as there are so many issues that our society is still dealing with nowadays as it is PTSD and what happens with the retired soldiers.
The characters were reliable and the writing was very good as well.
i will make time to read the previous books as well for sure.
I think this book was really good until the ending, I feel it was pretty lackluster after all the drama. That being said the led up and the intensity was good
OMG! I was addicted to Gone In The Night..  I felt so much emotion… This is one amazing psychological thriller.. Set Aside A interrupted afternoon to loose yourself entirely.. Adrenalin inducing, hair raising thriller..   I loved it!!!’
This book is light reading, while  it raised some social issues, it was primarily a mystery with pretty obvious villans.  Interesting enough but it was too "one note" for me,  needed more obvious voices of the different characters, more emotional/suspenseful peaks.  3.5 rating
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
Thrilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It was well written and flowed well and was easy to read. One you won’t want to end
To start with, this book really confused me. I found myself a little lost while trying to follow the start of the story. I wondered if it was to do with the fact that I haven't read any of the other books in the series - but it all started to come together around chapter 5 - so if you find yourself a little lost, don't give up! Once you power through and get a little further in it starts to make a bit more sense.

In fact, I found I didn't really need to have read the other 3 books in the series in order to understand what was going on, although I will admit I think it would be worth tackling them first in order to fully understand the main character.

This book is a great mix of mystery, thriller and suspense, with the ending hitting again and again and again in such dramatic ways.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions in this review are all my own.
"Gone in the Night" is book four in the 'Alex Devlin' series but not having read books 1-3, I read this as a stand-alone without feeling that I was missing anything.

Set in Norwich, this super thriller was told in chapters, day by day, from each of the characters' perspectives. I loved this as it gave me the opportunity to see all sides of the same story.

The author, Mary-Jane Riley, had drawn an excellent character in Alex who I found to be very driven, focused and independent. I was totally gripped by this twisty, immersive and tragic thriller.

I can thoroughly recommend this those who are fond of a highly emotive psychological thriller.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Harper Impulse Killer Reads via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Although the 4th in the series, I read this comfortably as a standalone. I enjoyed the structure of the novel which followed different characters and gives us what they are doing concurrently, with parallel chapters. There are some serious issues beneath the plot. You see how easy it is for people to disappear when they are homeless and jobless. They become invisible to society. As an ex-serviceman, Rick has struggled to adjust to life back home after a traumatic experience.

There are some ruthless characters portrayed and you really admire Alex's tenacity and her courage in investigating just what is going on. This is a well-paced novel which leads you at just the right speed through the story and which keeps you turning those pages. Rick, Cora and Alex all contrast each other and there is a great variety in their respective chapters as you see their different motivations. This is a very accessible read, with great characters and some surprises along the way.

In short: Suspense is threaded throughout this well structured read.
Thanks to the author for a copy of the book.
A fantastic read and I loved all the little twists that this story held. Definitely a page-turner and very fast paced. You won't realise you have read the end of the book until you turn that last page.
With thanks to Netgalley and Killer Reads for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Journalist Alex Devlin was walking home from a charity party when she came across a car accident on a country road.  A Land Rover had crashed into a tree and inside was a severely injured man.  Alex dialled for an ambulance, and the man gave her the telephone number for Cora his sister.  Shortly afterwards two men drove by and said they would give drive him to hospital.

Worried Alex rang all her local hospitals and told no crash victims had been admitted.  Alex rang her friend DI Sam Slater to check for the crashed vehicle but it had disappeared.  Sensing a story Alex rang Cora, Cora explained that her brother Rick had gone missing weeks earlier and she was trying to find him.  Rick had been deployed to Afghanistan where he suffered PTSD after a bomb.  When he returned to the UK he became homeless after breaking up with his wife.

Alex found out that a number of homeless people had gone missing from Norwich in recent months.  She visited a charity called Fight for the Homeless who ran a drop in centre. The owner David claimed not to know where Rick had gone but he was lying.

Can Alex fight police corruption and the establishment to find Rick?

This is 2nd book I have read in the Alex Devlin series.  Although this is book 4 it was quite easy to catch up with the characters again.

The plot was interesting, with short chapters to entice me to read just one more.

I liked Alex who stood by her sister when she was unwell.  Alex is a good friend and cares about the people she writes about.  However she is not above putting herself in danger to get to the truth.

Rick`s story in Afghanistan as a soldier was sad.   A lot of ex soldiers come back to the UK suffering from PTSD.  The scenes where Rick was running across country to escape his captors, was so vivid it actually left me exhausted.

Gone in the Night was a fairly decent read.  I will make sure I will read Dark Waters to find out what happened in Alex`s last job.
This is the fourth book featuring the journalist, Alex Devlin, who is the proverbial dog with a bone when she begins a new investigative story.  I love her character and read the second book in the series first, then went back and found the first after I read that  there was , indeed, a series. You can read them singularly or in sequence , it doesn’t matter as each book is fully realized..  Homelessness is the spine of this one and how we really don’t see the ‘other’ even though we all know the throwaway  line that the only difference between ‘us’ and ‘them’ is a lost paycheck or two.  It’s a great read with interesting and believable characters and a gripping thriller through the very last page.
A superb thriller with an interesting and absorbing plot.
The characters deepen throughout the book and are likeable and believable. This is an entertaining page turner.
The ending could have been better but nevertheless it’s an enjoyable read
A well written and captivating psychological thriller just the way I like them.
The kind you want to keep reading to find out more.
Fast paced, keeps you turning the pages until the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book. This is my honest review. All opinions are my own.
This is the fourth book featuring Alex Devlin, a freelance journalist and a stand alone novel. Alex looking for her next story , decides to write about the homeless in her home town of Norwich. Whilst investigating she meets Cora, a nurse whose brother gone missing and discovers there is a massive cover up when other homeless people vanish from the streets, Together she and Cora
chase up clues and investigate why these homeless people are going missing. They soon ruffle a few feathers and battle to stay alive. The story is told like a daily diary and the characters are interesting.
This is my first book featuring Alex Devlin and I like her character. I will be looking the for earlier books featuring Alex Devlin as I want to know her story. I thoroughly recommend!!