Cover Image: The Suffering of Strangers

The Suffering of Strangers

I feel like I missed something with this book. Like I read every word but just did not connect with it at all which is really unusual. It just felt disjointed and half the time I didn’t know what was going on but I’m sure it must have just been me.

A bizarre mix of a million characters left me not knowing what was going on.  I really wanted to like it, the idea was good but I don’t know who was who, what was where or the answer to anything!  I’m left highly confused. A very odd reading experience!

Thank you to netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review!
A very busy book, lots going in made it a confusing read at times.  I had to concentrate rerally hard to keep up with the story, but I did enjoy the book.  Have not read any of Caro Ramsay's other books but will be looking them up.
While the plot and characters are intriguing, and I liked the Glasgow setting, I didn’t enjoy this as much as I might - but it hasn’t put me off reading earlier books in the series. Apart from anything else, I’m interested to learn more about the backstory of the characters. And this one ends in a cliffhanger... so I’m probably going to have to read the next, too.
This novel is part of a series which I did not realise when I requested it.  It had a slow beginning and I was unable to get into the story so did not finish the book.
This is the 9th in the series apparently but I’d not have known!

Very well written thriller with some quite sensitive subjects that are well handled, had me on the edge of my seat and awake most of the night reading it. The detectives were great and I loved the characters, a really good read that keeps you guessing and hooks you from page one!

I’m off to try and get the earlier books online, fingers crossed!
I wish I had read an earlier book in this series, as it was well written. A new mom leaves her new baby in the care while she runs into a market - surprise - the baby is missing when she returns. This begins a really good mystery. I will be back for more. Thank you #NetGalley #servernhousepublishing #TheSufferingofStrangers
Police detectives Costello and Anderson investigate a kidnapping and mysterious exchange of babies, and a cold case of rape respectively, but keep running into each other, insinuating correlation. The storyline was interesting, but there were lots of characters that became confusing in what is the ninth book in the series, something not shared until the end of the book and not at all on NetGalley. Dear Reader following the series would definitely appreciate the continuation of the series in this intriguing and unique tale. Although Severn House Publishers graciously offered this story through NetGalley, they should have informed potential reviewers that it was a series.
Her six-week-old son will not stop crying. Desperate for a bit of peace, Roberta drives all over town. The baby finally falls asleep. At her husband’s urging, Roberta pops into a store with big windows where she knows the owner to pick up a bottle of champagne. In spite of the two of them keeping a close eye on the car, when she returns the car is gone and her baby with it. When the car is recovered shortly afterwards, there is a baby there–but it is not hers. The new child is the same age, but with Down Syndrome.

DI Costello is assigned to work the case. She’s amazed at the level of planning required to pull something like this off, and soon realizes that this signifies the existence of a larger organization. Sure enough, she begins to discover other missing babies, not to mention suspicious adoptions. The race is on to find Roberta’s child before he is sold and disappears. On top of that, DI Costello has become aware of a child from a wealthy family who nonetheless strikes her as being at great risk. Her attempts to rescue him may lead her further than she realizes.

Meanwhile, DCI Anderson has been moved to the cold case department, where he is investigating a 20 year old rape. The case leads him back in contact with old friends from college, but it also seems to have some weird echos from that of DI Costello’s. Could the two be connected? If so, how?

The Suffering of Strangers is the 9th book in a series I’d never heard of before. How? That’s rhetorical of course, but at the same time, for someone who enjoys police procedurals as much as I do, I’m a little dismayed. I enjoyed the book a lot and was able to fill in blanks that obviously referred to previous books without any problem. And adding 8 more books to my TBR pile isn’t a problem, right? Author Caro Ramsey creates believable characters who are easy to invest in. At this point, I can highly recommend this book. I’ll let you know what I think of the other 8.
I did not get the chance to finish this before the file expired. However, I have just bought a copy as I was enjoying it so much. Well written and engaging plot.
Caro Ramsey has provided a plot, characters, and mood comparable to the great classic British mystery/suspense novels. It's got well-developed characters who are easy to like, suspect or sympathize with and the plot is so multi-layered that the reader is kept guessing which way it will turn next. Great for cozying up for a nice winter read by the fire. Loved this book and will be digging into others by this author!

Thanks to Netgalley, Ms. Ramsey and her publisher, Black Thorn for this opportunity to read and write an honest review!
An excellent book about a child who is missing and two detectives who are trying to find out what has happened,  While investigating they find out about child abduction and the answer to an old Cold Case.  Engrossing reading.  Quite believable, an intriguing plot,
I read this book, blissfully unaware that it was 9th in the series.
That did not put me off and I believe that this book can be read as a standalone, as I did not struggle to read it.

This book does contain trafficking and child abuse so it could put some people off.  however, as i am used to reading this sort of book, it did not put me off.

I will be seeking to read the rest of the series!
The Suffering of Strangers is a very readable detective story. The characters are diverse, interesting and human. The plot was intricate but the story well told so it was never confusing. And that ending! There will definitely be another and I’d love to read it. Highly recommended..
Where the hell have I been!? I am new to Caro Ramsay’s Anderson & Costello series and I am so sad that I’ve missed out on some amazing stories! I mean seriously. This book had me all twisted up inside and taken on an incredible roller coaster of twists and turns. It’s a fast-paced, page turning, edge of your seat police procedural that will leave you begging for more. Literally.

From the beginning, Ramsay draws the reader in with well chiseled characters. The emotions instantly fly with this one. I mean seriously. I was angry with Roberta almost instantly for one little thing she did that started the intense, white knuckle gripping, gotta-see-what-happens-next events of this story. Just when I think I would have it all figured out, Ramsay threw me another twist to the story and bam. I had to back track and start all over again to see if I could figure it out.

That’s an incredible 5 star worthy read, if you ask me. Filled with some hard hitting life lessons, and gripping characters, Ramsay knows what to throw new readers to make them want to come back. This is a series that I will be going back and reading from start to finish. Ramsay will have you captivated, fully, from first page to last and won’t let your shackles go until you reach the very last word.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley, Publisher and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and I really enjoyed it, I had read a similar one before this but wow this was on a whole new level I was hooked and needed to know what was happening and I couldn't read it quick enough didn't guess anything coming up either. Excellent
Having not read the previous books in the series I found the characters and plot hard-going. A very clever and well-thought-out plot complex and intriguing. I would recommend that you read the books in order to fully appreciate the storyline.
Jumps around a lot and contradicts themselves multiple times in one sentence. Very disorganised style of writing and there was so feeling to any of the characters.
The Suffering of Strangers by Carl Ramsay is about the abduction of a baby who is replaced by another baby. While investigating, it appears it may be connected to a rape case as well. The book is highly recommended and well-written. It had a good plot. There were many characters and the action was occasionally hard to follow. This is the first time I have read this author but will look into some of her other books. Thank you to Net Galley for providing an advanced reader’s copy for review.
A brilliantly rollercoaster of a read. Read this in one sitting on a Sunday afternoon and evening. I was exhausted the next day but totally worth it. Really good.
4/5 on goodreads.
I love this series of storylines and always look forward to the next instalment.  As always this one did not disappoint.  It was another excellent story by the author.  It was a great plot with lots of twists and turns.  Would highly recommend it.