The Suffering of Strangers

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jun 2019

Where the hell have I been!? I am new to Caro Ramsay’s Anderson & Costello series and I am so sad that I’ve missed out on some amazing stories! I mean seriously. This book had me all twisted up inside and taken on an incredible roller coaster of twists and turns. It’s a fast-paced, page turning, edge of your seat police procedural that will leave you begging for more. Literally.

From the beginning, Ramsay draws the reader in with well chiseled characters. The emotions instantly fly with this one. I mean seriously. I was angry with Roberta almost instantly for one little thing she did that started the intense, white knuckle gripping, gotta-see-what-happens-next events of this story. Just when I think I would have it all figured out, Ramsay threw me another twist to the story and bam. I had to back track and start all over again to see if I could figure it out.

That’s an incredible 5 star worthy read, if you ask me. Filled with some hard hitting life lessons, and gripping characters, Ramsay knows what to throw new readers to make them want to come back. This is a series that I will be going back and reading from start to finish. Ramsay will have you captivated, fully, from first page to last and won’t let your shackles go until you reach the very last word.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley, Publisher and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and I really enjoyed it, I had read a similar one before this but wow this was on a whole new level I was hooked and needed to know what was happening and I couldn't read it quick enough didn't guess anything coming up either. Excellent
Having not read the previous books in the series I found the characters and plot hard-going. A very clever and well-thought-out plot complex and intriguing. I would recommend that you read the books in order to fully appreciate the storyline.
Jumps around a lot and contradicts themselves multiple times in one sentence. Very disorganised style of writing and there was so feeling to any of the characters.
The Suffering of Strangers by Carl Ramsay is about the abduction of a baby who is replaced by another baby. While investigating, it appears it may be connected to a rape case as well. The book is highly recommended and well-written. It had a good plot. There were many characters and the action was occasionally hard to follow. This is the first time I have read this author but will look into some of her other books. Thank you to Net Galley for providing an advanced reader’s copy for review.
A brilliantly rollercoaster of a read. Read this in one sitting on a Sunday afternoon and evening. I was exhausted the next day but totally worth it. Really good.
4/5 on goodreads.
I love this series of storylines and always look forward to the next instalment.  As always this one did not disappoint.  It was another excellent story by the author.  It was a great plot with lots of twists and turns.  Would highly recommend it.
While I enjoyed this book, I found it quite confusing at first as I didn’t realize it was the ninth book in a series and the first one I’ve read.  My fault entirely, and I would definitely recommend reading some of those  previous novels before starting this one as there is some unexplained backstory.  With an interesting case and good writing this ended well with hints of another book in the series.
This is book 9 in the Anderson & Costello series, I have not read any of the others and can say from reading this one that it can be read as a standalone. There are a lot of characters in this book and lots of POV but you need those for this story.
This book kept me captured from the opening scenes. I do like a good crime mystery, the investigation of it and the solving; it makes your own brain tick!
 I like both Anderson and Costello’s characters, they were well developed. Since reading this I have began the series from book 1.
I wish I had previously read the other books in this series because perhaps I wouldn’t feel so confused and behind. I liked this book despite my above statement however I feel you should probably read some of the previous books before tackling this one. The back and forth shifting of point of view-sometimes seemingly mid-paragraph was a little off putting but I got used to it. Also most plot threads were wrapped up in the end-not all-but most. It definitely feels as if the storyline will carry on in the next of the series. The setting and the cast of characters in the legal team are very interesting and I feel that I would like to know more about them. The plot is very imaginative and completely different from any other I have encountered being about a couple with a baby selling business who identify young pregnant girls who want to earn money to have their babies and in exchange give them to women who can’t get pregnant. Thank you to #netgalley for the opportunity to read #thesufferingofstrangers in exchange for a review.
This was a really good story, and I am glad to have a new series to catch up on.
When a healthy baby is stolen and a replaced with another, DI Costello stumbles on a baby selling organisation
I enjoyed the characters in this book and will be reading the rest in the series..
Set in Glasgow, this is the ninth book in the series featuring police detective team of DI Costello and DCI Colin Anderson. The team was forced to split up when DCI Anderson, who is suffering from PTSD, was put on cold case files while Costello was placed in the domestic violence unit.

DI Costello is called in to investigate a kidnapping that took place in just minutes when the mother of a six-week-old infant ran into the village store for wine. The car was found up the street with the baby still strapped inside. At first it looks like a cruel joke, until the mother realizes that the baby inside is not her son. Her son Sholto has been replaced with a Down syndrome baby.

Soon after, Costello is called in on another baby gone missing case and this time the mother does a bunk while talking to child services. Are the two cases related?

Anderson is working on a rape case that takes him back to his own past. He knew Sally Logan when they were at university together. She was attacked and raped during that time and her attacker was never found.

I had a difficult time getting into this story at first. I'm so glad I stuck with it because suddenly I couldn't put it down and I'm wishing that I had started with book one so I could see what these characters have been through in the past. I'll go directly to read book one now. I'm happy to have found an interesting new series.
When an exhausted new mum leaves her sleeping six-week-old baby in the car while she nips into the shop she is horrified to discover that her car and baby are gone when she gets back just a few minutes later. She is flooded with relief when a call comes in to say the car has been spotted just a couple of streets away. When she got there the baby isn't hers. This baby has downs syndrome.
Although this is the 9th book in the series I seemed to pick out the core story without any problems, although there was a huge number of characters in the book. It is recommended though to read the series in order to fully understand all the subplots that keep coming up from other cases.
I really took to Costella and Anderson, two Scottish detectives that are at the beginning of the story working on different cases from different timelines but they keep coming together like a pair of magnets.  This police procedural ticks all the right boxes connects all the dots and opens up something much bigger than either of them could have dreamed up.
Brilliant characters, super location, and a fabulous plot.
I wish to thank NetGalley and the publisher for an e-copy of this book which I have reviewed honestly.
Another Costello mystery of dangerous case. This one involves a baby swap. A page turner for sure. There is more to this story than you think...so that makes you want to keep flipping those pages.
This is a really quick read, I was able to complete it in one day. This is the 9th book in a series, but the first one I have actually read. The story picks up when a 6 week old baby boy is abducted from a vehicle while mom is inside a small gas station picking up a bottle of wine. The story gets weird when it comes to light that the abducted baby has been swapped for a Down syndrome baby about the same age. Costello, a ballsy female detective is assigned to the case. Believing the baby was targeted, Costello starts by tearing apart the lives of both parents of the missing baby. When little to no leads come up using the DNA of the Down syndrome baby, Costello starts to believe that the baby may have been involved in an underground ring of high stakes baby sales, and that due his defect he was deposed for a healthy infant. The race is on to find the missing baby before he is sold off and never found again. This is. Fast paced, high energy read. While I wasn’t too familiar with any of these characters from previous novels, it didn’t really have an impact on the enjoyment of this novel. The only thing that threw me off at times was there are a lot of small part characters in this story and sometimes I lost track of exactly who was who, but generally I got the point. The story ends with some unforseen twists. A worthwhile read. Novel supplied by Netgalley.
Child abduction, sexual assault, family relationships, old friend reunions, this book has it all. Set in a modern day Glasgow with referral to underground passages of old, I really enjoyed this book. Never a dull moment and I now intend to look for more from this author!
I almost didn't read this one when I discovered that it was book nine in a series... I've complained before about how Publishers seem to hide the fact that a book falls within a well-established series when placed on here, and I will make that complaint again. I definitely did feel like I was behind the 8-ball on a number of relationships and backstories in this one.

I hate that. It's a discredit to the author and the series to have a book evaluated as a standalone when it's not. If this was a stand-alone I'd be complaining about the lack of context and explanation for so many of the characters actions and relationships. Once I learned it was a book that fell so solidly within a well-established series, I cut the author some slack for that. But it means I have to give it 4 stars instead of 5 even though I really liked it, because I don't know if the missing bits were intentional or based on my lack of series context.

That said, there is a wholly engrossing mystery in this one that does stand on its own, and I absolutely loved the book for that. I am eager to go back and read the other books in the series now, and will do that when I find myself with enough time to take on 8 books in a row lol... Until then, rest assured that you can read this one on its own, but I strongly suspect you would find yourself, as I did, feeling like you were missing a lot of connections and depths. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for more from Anderson and Costello... Especially with the way this one ended!
This book was the hardest for me to read. The beginning of it dragged, I think some was just a filler because it really had nothing to do with what the story was about and the end just left me with a whole lot of questions. I was really interested in the book from the description of the book, a baby had been stolen and replaced with another baby with Downs Syndrome that’s something I have never read a mystery book with anything close to that happening it’s usually a baby is stolen. At one point they are suspicious of the dad but then he isn’t mentioned again for a long stretch of the book. I hate to say this but I would not recommend this book. Sorry ☹️
🤓❤️📚❣️
The moment I read the details, I knew this was something that I really wanted to read. The story itself is well executed and the characters are interesting and full of life. Brilliantly written and full of twists and turns.
I wanted to like this book but honestly by chapter 2 there were already WAY to many characters and the transitions between each narrative were choppy and did not flow well. With all the characters and transitions its very hard to get into this story and to follow it smoothly. The story line was ok but literally half the players should have been removed to focus on the basic story line. I struggled to finish this book, because there were so many characters i didnt connect with a single one. Also for any Canadian/US readers. There are a lot of words that are slang used in the UK , most UK books i have no trouble with but this one there were a few wtf moments.