The Whisper Man

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Jun 2019

I'm a huge fan of psychological thrillers so The Whisper Man looked right up my street and I was not disappointed. Not ideal to have a creepy childhood rhyme in my head right before I went to sleep but that aside I LOVED it.
I have shivers down my spine. I was totally gripped the whole way through. This is a chilling thriller that is a must read. It is creepy from the start and a page turner. Lock the doors and sit and enjoy a really good book that will scare you and keep you wanting more.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Excellent story line, real page turner.
Makes you wonder if the BoogeyMan is real.

Looking forward to more by Alex North.

Thanks
Wow what a ride of a book this was. Hands down one of the best reads of the year so far. Fantastic! Looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
The Whisper Man by Alex North is  absolutely terrifying!! It is the bogeyman brought up to date with a new name and he whispers to you!!
It is a reminder of childhood when you would dream or have nightmares and wake up wanting someone to make it go away. It is also very, very sad.  It is extremely well written and believable.
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the book.
Highly recommended.
This book is a heady blend of crime, family dynamics and a hint of the supernatural that I am loving right now. The creep factor is dialled right up from the start; the idea of a 'whisper man' stealing children is the stuff that urban myths are built on. Add in a haunting rhyme, imaginary friends, a missing child and the re-opening of a linked cold case and I defy anyone to read this book without the hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention.

Review to be added to Good Reads and Amazon closer to publication date.

Thank you to the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.
“If you leave a door half open,soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken” well this sets the scene for a fabulously creepy read and there was I sitting reading in bed late at night and glancing at MY half open door thinking if I hear a goddam whisper then all the lights go on !! It’s a really excellent read and what I liked about it most was how it explored the feelings and emotions of the characters so much, yes it’s a mystery thriller but it is also so much more and so well written that you find yourself becoming totally involved in what is a very addictive story. The whisper man, now there is a name that sends shivers down your spine, is he back or .... well I won’t say more as it would spoil the book so don’t just think this is another run of the mill serial killer thriller, it isn’t it’s much better than that, compulsive and a thrill of a ride it’s a brilliant read and I look forward to reading more from the ultra talented Alex North. Don’t miss this one it’s going to a bit hit I’m sure.
My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
I was given a copy of The Whisper Man by Alex North by the publisher for an honest review. This a debut novel for Alex and what a cracking first novel. The story begins with Tom and his 7 year old son they are coping with the sudden death of Jake's mother. They decide to move to Featherbank to restart their lives. In Featherbank the detectives are looking for a young boy who has gone missing, which is similar to the disappearances of 5 other children 20 years before.

This book is well written, with a spooky side. I would love to read more books by Alex North.
A good thriller with interesting back story of the characters. Easy to read and engaging.

Thanks for allowing me to review this book.
I am unable to say too much as it would spoil the wonderfully creepy plot of The Whisper Man....but here goes...

DI Pete Willis has made it his mission over the past 20 years to find the body of a little boy called Tony Smith. The Whisper Man or Frank Carter killed him....he is still in prison, jailed for the murders of children all those years ago.

The only body missing is that of Tony.....

Then a six year old boy goes missing ....is this the same as the Whisper Man ? But he’s still locked up...

The story is also told from the perspectives of Tom Kennedy and his absolutely charming young son, Jake. Rebecca, Tom’s wife and mother to Jake had died suddenly and they are both missing her terribly....and struggling with their grief.

The subject matter is at times so hard to read and there will be tears.....

There are many books that are good but a little forgettable, this is not one of those. It’s an incredible piece of creepy and yet emotive and expressive writing and will stay with me for a long time.....but please do not whisper near me for a while yet !!!

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review
Wow.  This novel had me gripped from the very start.  I didn't want to put it down and every spare second I got I continued reading.

The story and twists were incredibly well thought out and described. I loved the use of various character view points for the story and how their roles advanced.  There wasn't huge gaps between each characters section and therefore it was easy to follow.

I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and how it changed for each character.  The story itself was incredible and I would love a second installment.
Oh my goodness.  I simply had to finish this book within one 24 hour period,  I couldn't go to sleep without knowing the ending.  Really clever, page-turning stuff.
'As a child, his father had been a language he was unable to speak, but he was fluent now.' I adored this book. To me it was all about the exploration of father/son relationship in ways I haven't seen done before. It's an amazingly insightful book  with layers of metaphor and surprise. It's a great story but I especially loved the stories behind the story.
Ever since Hayley Joel Osment muttered those spine-tingling words “I see dead people” to Bruce Willis back in 1999 any book or film featuring little children talking to “imaginary” friends gives me the heebie jeebies and THE WHISPER MAN is no exception.

There is so much to say about this book, but I don’t want to give anything away so all I can tell you is there is a sick psychopath out there abducting little boys in the present, a sick serial killer serving life in prison for abducting and killing little boys 20 years, an emotional damaged DI who’s determined to catch the killer and then there is little Jake and his dad Tom Kennedy.

Oh my word; Tom Kennedy is the most wonderful character – a grieving widow who’s wife died suddenly and unexpectedly and now finds himself trying to raise his sweet, overly sensitive 6 year old son Jake by himself and is struggling.  My heart broke into a thousand pieces every time Tom told us his story and his feelings.  His honesty and raw emotions were so real that it was sometimes difficult to remember this is a work of fiction.

Then there is little Jake – grieving over the loss of his beloved mummy, frightened and confused by things happening around him but such a sensitive sweetheart I wanted to give him a cuddle and tell him everything was going to be ok.

THE WHISPER MAN is so chilling, creepy and unsettling that I had to stop reading several times to catch my breath and remind myself it’s only a story.  This is a superb book and I highly recommend it – but remember to make sure your doors and windows are closed.
I love a good a twisting crime novel and when I saw The Whisper Man on NetGalley I snapped it up straight away. I’d just finished Laila Slimani’s beautifully crafted Adele and I wanted to read a fast paced thriller, so I started this.

The Whisper Man is a little slow to start with. There are lots of characters and backstory to inform the reader about and the writing initially feels slow and laboured. I was critical at first, but as the story escalates I was gradually absorbed.

Each chapter switches between different characters and is gloriously frustrating because the truth is there but somehow not within reach. It’s is a gradually decreasing spiral; pulling characters and story closer until everything becomes devastatingly clear. Every single time I thought I was going to put the book down and get up and do real life things I couldn’t, and another hour was gone.

There is a lot to love in The Whisper Man. Initially my favourite inclusion is little Jake, a seven year old boy who is outcasted by his peers and relies on the company of imaginary friends. While normal for children his age to have them, Jake’s seem to give him information that he shouldn’t have access to. I really liked the inclusion of the story from Jake’s point of view and I thought North did a great job and sounding out a little boy’s voice.

You’re never quite sure whether the events happening are paranormal and even though logic tells you there isn’t, and you’ll talk yourself out of it a lot, there will always be that kernel of doubt. But when the Whisper Man starts to pray on Jake it’s so unsettling you really hope it isn’t real. Although most parts feel like a domestic drama, there are also small moments that are genuinely unsettling. I won’t give anything away but I tried to think what I would do if the events in that house happened to me, and I would probably just scream.

The Whisper Man is perfect for crime fans who are looking for something a bit more than a straight-forward procedural and there’s lots to love. If you like conversations with serial killers, weird crime trophy hunters, discovery of remains, abduction or general horrifying twists then this book if for you.
A great debut novel with a fast paced story that had lots of twists and turns.  It was quite creepy in places and there was never any certainty in my mind as to how the story would work out.  I like novels that aren't predictable.
"If you leave a door half open soon you'll hear the whispers spoken........" ________ Alex North

An absolute stonking read that holds you in its jaws from start to finish.  Utterly chilling, disturbing and downright creepy.  I really cannot recommend this psychological thriller/horror high enough.

Many thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this ARC for which I have given my voluntary and unbiased review.
A tense and well written novel.

The moment I read the blurb I knew this was something that I really wanted to read. The story itself is well executed and the characters are interesting and full of life.
I would recommend this for sure!
An absolutely brilliant book, creepy as hell, no pointless gore for gore sake, thoroughly recommend this to anyone, this will keep you up till the end.
Loved this. Truly creepy premise and the whispers, the little girl, the boy in the floor, the letter box scene all gave actually shivers. But they're not just cheap thrills; it all adds up to satisfying, well-told story with real emotional depth. Highly recommend.