Cover Image: After She's Gone

After She's Gone

I felt the book was quite easy to read despite the dark storyline and adult themes.

For a thriller I found the pace a little slow and I definitely enjoyed reading Jake's views rather than Malin and Hanne's. At times it felt forced and I don't personally think the first person added much although I did like the then and now flashbacks.

To me it felt like the author was trying to add in lots of different crime/thriller tropes which meant it was a little unbelievable.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC.
A really good read. Wonderfully atmospheric with descriptions that had me transported there. The story is really well written and I was gripped from the start.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
This is the first thriller I've read this year and it has certainly left me wanting to read more. It was creepy and atmospheric and had me happy to be indoors under a warm blanket!

Malin, the main protagonist, is a police officer returning to the town of her childhood to help solve a crime and unknowingly uncover old ghosts along the way. Jake, a boy struggling with his identity has a life-changing decision to make and Hanne, another police officer, is struggling to catch a killer in a town she doesn’t know while battling secrets of her own.

I really enjoyed the way the lives of these three people intertwined. The story tackled many serious issues and didn’t shy away from portraying them in an honest and unflinching way. Sometimes it was uncomfortable reading.

I found Malin to be likeable but deeply flawed. The book posed many thought-provoking questions – is who we are rooted in the blood that runs through our veins or are we a product of our environment? Jake’s journey was the most compelling for me. The author really challenged him. His development was heart-wrenching and I couldn’t help but root for him.

The story had lots of twists and turns. It was fast paced and hard to put down. There were some real spine-chilling moments -- the author was great at building tension. But there were also gentler moments and I thought the author did a great job of showcasing different family dynamics. I did find myself wishing that the racism had been challenged more, but having said that, in some way it was what made the story and characters more real. Humans aren’t perfect and even good people have prejudices they are blind to. Overall a really enjoyable read.

Many thanks to NetGalley, Bonnier Zaffre Publishing and Camilla Grebe for sending me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book kept me on my toes, the setting and the storyline was chilling. The reason I have taken away one star from my rating is because one of the POV characters was racist. I didn't like the way Muslims and Islam were talked about. It started after 40% of the book and I stopped reading for a while because it didn't feel right to me. I finished the book just because I wanted to be fair while writing this review. It is a great thriller otherwise.
A haunting mysterious tale.
This book has an interesting style of writing but I did like it. Took me a while to get into this book.
Not the best book I have ever read
This was a really good read. I’ve not read any Scandi noir before but I loved this one, I could feel the cold!  thanks for the chance to review.
Well written-plot is strong and characters have been written excellently
Recommended read
Thank you to both NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest unbiased review
Who doesn’t love a good Scandi-noir thriller? This book really captures the threatening presence of the cold as it seeps through jackets and turns the breath to fog. It makes reading it in a warm room a pleasure!

Told by three narrators, we start with Malin, the main protagonist - a female police officer who has to return to the tiny town from which she felt she had escaped - Ormberg - to participate in a murder investigation. The second narrator is Jake - a young man with his own secrets who uncovers a diary crucial to the investigation and finally Hanne - another female police officer whose memory is starting to fail. Does she know more than she’s letting on or has a trauma ensured her memory has further deteriorated?

Aside from being a page-turner (particularly once it really gets going after setting the scene), it’s beautifully written and translated. There are some deep insights into what people think and often don’t say and captures the insidiousness of anti-immigration sentiment.

“I think about what I’ve seen on the news. Images of bombs falling on Aleppo and children washing up dead on Mediterranean beaches. It makes me feel so bad I turn it off. No one should have to leave their home because of war and starvation, especially not little children. But at the same time we can’t take in everyone. We are just a small country, and we’re a hell of a long way from those conflicts.”

A very thoughtful book, it’s more than your average thriller. I took half a star off here because I felt I could see what was coming a mile off and was surprised the characters didn’t see it too. It wouldn’t stop me from recommending it to others!

I discovered later that this book is the second in a series but to be perfectly honest, it reads well as a stand-alone novel. I will be seeking out the first from Camilla Grebe.

Many thanks to NetGalley, Bonnier Zaffre Publishing and Camilla Grebe for a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Wonderful Scandic thriller - a real page turner.

This tale set in an imaginary but oh so real town is set to make an impact. The stories of Malin and Jane are skilfully intertwined with the disappearance of a refugee woman and her child. Malin , now an adult finds the remains of a child in the forest and the entire world she knew starts to unravel.

I hope we see more if Malin and of Jake to see where they go from here.
This is a book that needs to be read in big chunks in order to really get into it and keep track of the characters. I started reading a couple of chapters here and there but found I wasn’t enjoying it and nearly didn’t complete it. However, I persevered, read at length and found that I could invest in the story.

I liked the overall idea of the plot and the many twists and turns that sprang up along the way, but I couldn’t take to any of the characters - they didn’t have enough depth or backstory for me to warm to them or believe in them.

A good book but not amazing!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for this ARC.
An excellently constructed and written murder mystery that begins with a young woman finding a body in the woods and who then, years later, is part of a team investigating the murder.
It's an atmospheric, multilayered read and I loved it.

Malin, is the cop who found the skull and who was born and brought up in the small Swedish backwater. The book encompasses so well the description of a small town that has thrived in years gone by, but, that is now an isolated community with little or no employment.  In addition, the community is dealing with generations of families still trying to survive in the harsh environment alongside migrants who have been granted asylum within the community and the frictions, suspicions and hatred that can engender. It's uncomfortable reading in parts, but, deals so well with the internal and external conflicts when different cultures are brought together and one is seen to be favoured above the other.
The group of police investigating the murder are a varied bunch and then two of them disappear.

Alongside the story of the murder, is the insight into some of the town's inhabitants and particularly one family, made up of an alcoholic widower and his 2 children, one of whom, Jake, has a secret.
The story is told from 3 main perspectives; Malin the policewoman,  Jake a teenager coming to terms with his own identity and Hanne, who is slowly losing hers.

This riveting read maintained my interest throughout and has a fabulous ending. Apparently, this is the second book in a series, but, I wasn't aware of that whilst reading, so, it absolutely stands alone as an excellent murder mystery. However, I'm now very keen to read the first as this writer is now one of my favourites.

Just excellent! Full 5 stars. Many thanks to NetGalley, Bonnier Zaffre publishers and Camilla Grebe for the opportunity of previewing this book in exchange for my honest review.
I'm just loving Scandanavian thrillers lately! They're so atmospheric and really hit the nail on the head in the thriller department.

After She's Gone is the second in a series but I read this before reading the first (shocking, I know!) but After She's Gone can be read as a standalone and more than anything it's made me want to read the first in the series.

After She's Gone is set in a small little town in Sweden. A young boy stumbles across a diary that could be the major link to an on going crime investigation but the boy can not take the diary to the police or tell them how he came across it as he has a secret of his own.

The story has many twist and turns that leave you guessing until the very end. It was a slow starter but became very entertaining the further you go in.

Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Completely mixed feelings on this one.
A good story,a steady slow pace for reveals,an interesting setting,with a good commentary on how the village feel about the refugees.
BUT I was constantly frustrated by Jake and his reading of the diary.
Your dad is a possible murder suspect and you don't read to the end? Nobody would not read the whole thing in one sitting.
I read this in Swedish ages ago (it was called The Girl in the Dark and I didn't make the connection  doh!) and so when I started to read this, I shivered a bit as I remembered how dark and chilling it was. It doesn't lose any of the chill factor in the english let me tell you. It's the skill of the translator that some parts seem even darker!

A young female cop returns to a small town she was so desperate to flee. She tells one part of the story. The other, is a fourteen year old boy through a journal he finds.  This technique works well and as they describe the same set of people over different time lines, a worrying and haunting picture builds up...

There's a lot of threads to this and characters pop in and out so don't read it too fast and once those threads start to tie up...it paints quite the picture.

There's a body, a missing policeman, a  characters with memory loss and a traumatized young boy. Plus someone found wandering around in her bare feet. There is something very strange going on in this town of Omberg ( just as well it's fictional!)

As well as this crime and mystery thriller, part of the plot centers around a refugee  house and the issues and prejudices this can cause. Malin, the police officer is forced to change her view on what she thinks of the whole affair and what an ending!

Camilla always places you at the heart of the story and the landscape she describes and this is no exeception