My Lovely Wife

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Written in the first person from a male point of view, this is a story of obsessive and destructive love. A couple are locked in a relationship which is truly dysfunctional. He is a tennis coach, she (Millicent) is controlling and together they make a lethal combination. It is clear from early on that for whatever reason, their relationship is kept going by their little hobby of murdering young women. After an accidental start to their diversion (the first murder wasn't premeditated) they spend time on their date nights planning who to kidnap next. The man does the pick up and passes on the woman to Millicent who then tortures and kills her.  It all starts to go wrong when they decide to put the blame on someone else (Owen) who was thought to be guilty of earlier murders in the town. Terrified by the thought of a serial killer nearby (if only she knew how near!) their daughter begins to have significant behaviour problems. Added to that, their son suspects his father is up to something and starts to blackmail him. What a lovely family! At first I thought I liked this novel but as it went on I found the plot and the twists too preposterous and it became a bit of a chore to read. I never bought into the reason why they did it either. Needless to say the main characters are not in the least bit likeable which is always a bit of a problem for me. Thanks to the publishers and net galley for the ARC.
One word ... wow! Having read a lot of thrillers and mystery novels recently I felt my enthusiasm for them beginning to wane a little - then I noticed this one and I just had to give it a go.  I'm so glad that I did! This book is fantastic. From the character of Millicent, to the highly original story line and character development throughout, this book will take you on a journey of twists, turns and suspense that will leave you torn between wanting to rush through it to find out what happens next and not wanting the book to end. I found it very hard to believe that this was a debut novel...and if this is a taste of things to come from this author, bring on the next one!
Highly recommended (as if you hadn't guessed!)
Wow My Lovely Wife was AMAZING! Totally had me hooked from the first chapter! The seem like the perfect family he is a tennis coach at the local country club, his wife Millicent is a real estate agent and they have 2 kids Rory and Jenna who are relatively well behaved and do considerably well in school, they have dinner together every night(no mobile phones during dinner) & family movie night once a week, they even have date nights although they are not what we would class as a date night🙈😂!
I would go as far as saying this one of the best books I’ve read in a while (I read ALOT)I love a good twisty thriller that keeps u guessing and by god My lovely wife just keeps throwing these shocking twists at u right from the first chapter that u don’t even see coming which just makes it even better! Well done Samantha bloody incredible writing, what a book I would give it 100 stars if I could! READ IT u will LOVE it! ( u may end up doing an all-nighter to read it but it’s totally worth it😂😘💕
Really enjoyed My Lovely Wife, it grabbed you right from the start, i found it slowed up a bit in the middle but coming towards the end i was gripped and couldn't put it down until i knew what happened. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
An intriguing plot with a cliffhanger as the very last sentence!
A marriage with a dark exploration the world of serial killers. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and didn’t see the twist coming.
My Lovely Wife is one of those novels that hooked me in from the very start. I've had a bit of thriller fatigue lately as they all seem to be getting quite samey but this book is truly unique. This couple do not have a conventional marriage, they have two teenage children and appear to be normal from the outside but they have a nighttime activity that's just between them. The husband discovers something early on that suggests he doesn't know his wife as well as he thought he did. This book is full of twists and turns and is really unlike anything else I've read- I loved it!
I was excited to receive my copy of My lovely wife from Netgalley and started the book immediately. By the second chapter I had sussed the characters and knew who was hiding what. Maybe I’ve read too many thrillers and figured out what was going on, but it was a massive let down for me. I guessed the story behind Holly looooong before it was revealed. 3* because I did enjoy the writing style.
Thank you to Netgalley for a free copy in return for my review.
5* read absolutely gripping - such an original plot
Husband and wife with two lovely kids with a very dark secret ... this book unfolds telling a gripping story of secrets and lies with a twist that you won’t see coming. I was blown away a gem of a read
I found this book hard to get into and disappointing once I did.  I was expecting more dark thriller and intrigue.
Absolutely amazing! This starts slow, building over the first few chapters to the point where you just can't put it down and finishes with an amazing ending (no spoilers!!) I stayed up all night to finish this, I just couldn't stop, LOVED the characters, even the supporting cast drew me in, just the right amount of suspense and creepiness. The first thing I did when I finished was try to find more from this author, I can't wait for the next one! I hope someone picks this up for a film, this could be the next 'Girl on the Train' - amazing!!
A great psychological thriller- a very dark yet exciting book. Strong plot and meaty characters. As you start to read this book you put into a false sense of security. But there is so much more.
Fabulous read.
Thank you to both NetGalley and Penguin UK for my eARC of this book in exchange for my honest unbiased review
My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing is a very clever psychological thriller that had me hooked.
Millicent and her husband have a happy marriage, a house in a nice area and two children who attend private school. Millicent works in real estate and her husband is a tennis coach. The couple have a secret that is dark, dangerous and deadly.
I believe that this is a debut novel and the author has written a story that kept me on the edge of my seat. I will be looking out for more of her work.
Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
My lovely wife

I started reading this thinking it was going to be all sugar and spice; how wrong I was!

Initially, I wasn’t sure if I was liking it; I detested one of the main characters, Millicent, and didn’t like her husband much either. (We never find out what his real name is, just a pseudonym he uses, Tobias, and who pretends to be deaf in order to ‘check women out’ who they have targeted).

It’s like nothing I have ever read before as this is told from the perspective of the perpetrator.

To all intents and purposes they look from the outside like a great family. Successful wife who runs a real estate agency, husband a successful tennis coach and two great kids, Rory (14) and Jenna (13). The household runs as a slick family unit with designated movie nights, and Millicent insisting that breakfast and dinner are eaten together around the table each day.  However, the parents hide a sick and twisted secret; ‘Tobias’ looks for females for him and Millicent to kill. He does meticulous research and once he has made his mind up who the target will be, he follows them to know their routines etc.

That’s all I’m saying about this ridiculously dark and disturbing novel, but utterly deliciously addictive and fantastic book, as I really cannot say anymore for fear of giving away any spoilers.

Read it and judge for yourself but be prepared, like me, to lose a day of your life completely immersed in it.

Thank you Penguin Uk, Michael Joseph, the brilliant author, Samantha Downing, and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review thus.
An amazing book! Dark, disturbing and twisted, it really messes with your head. Unusual in that you want the murderes to get away with it in the beginning. Entertaining psychological aspects to the married couple’s relationship and great family characters with their own problems - lots of twists and turns to keep you totally engrossed.  Thoroughly enjoyed.
My Lovely Wife is insane and I mean that in the best possible way! ;) Great plot, executed well  and I was disappointed the story had to end. Dark and twisted fiction at its very best.
Millicent and Andy are such a fabulous couple. They have two children and are successful in their jobs. There’s just one problem, they like to get away with murder! When a body is discovered of a girl Millicent makes out that she wanted to frame a local serial killer who had disappeared but there are knock on effects. Andy lures the women and she kills them. Can they make this one the last?

Jeepers! How creepy is Millicent? Controlling, demanding and manipulative! I loved this book. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Oh my word! I have never read a book like this before....
Imagine you met the love of your life, your lovely wife, in your early twenties. You had a slightly “off” courtship, then got married, had kids and lived a normal life in a normal community. Then imagine youkilled your wife’s sister by accident. Then your wife killed her sisters friend but it was no accident.. then there was a third....and a fourth....and......
Imagine you and your wife rationalise and justify your actions....imagine lying to your kids, your community, imagine you thought you knew all this
Then imagine you were wrong.. about everything. includ8ng your lovely wife......

Read it!
“This, this, is how we can be free. This is the one thing that is ours, that we control. Thanks to Millicent.”

Tobias (it’s not his real name - it’s the one he gives to women he meets under certain circumstances - but it’s the only one we have for him) narrates this bizarre and twisted story of him and his lovely wife, who rejoices in the rather unlovely name of Millicent. They lead an apparently normal life with their two teenage children, Rory and Jenna. Millicent, a strong and dominant character, is firm about rules - no phones at the table, meals will be healthy, family movie night will happen once a week. Millicent keeps everybody organised. And Millicent and not-Tobias have an unusual way of keeping excitement alive in their marriage: murder.

Both do the planning, Millicent does the dirty work, as it were, and it’s soon apparent that she doesn’t tell her husband everything...

We see everything from not-Tobias’s point of view. We don’t see Millicent’s; or at least, only as filtered through his, and it’s clear that he doesn’t know her as well as he thinks. We don’t see that of the abducted women.

I spent so much time, probably too much, trying to get my head around the psychology of these people and how they end up the way they are. Tobias is evidently capable of feeling guilt and shame - he feels bad about the effects of the murders on people close to him (including his daughter, who develops an anxiety disorder), but it never seems to occur to him to feel bad about the murdered women, although he knew things about their lives and even liked at least one of them. He doesn’t necessarily want to know the details of what happens to them at his wife’s hands, indeed he prefers not to think about it, but he’s nevertheless thoroughly on board with the whole thing. And Millicent... well, Millicent is just incomprehensible. I never really understood her motivations and I still don’t, even after revelations towards the end. Both seem to lack any kind of conscience about the murders, which are portrayed by Tobias as a kind of extra-risky hobby or shared interest.

Tobias’s capacity for self-deception is remarkable. At one point he imagines someone being arrested for the murders - someone who deserves it even if they haven’t committed these particular ones, a bad person who he pictures as “a disheveled, slovenly man with crazy eyes”. Nothing like his lovely wife.

(I’m not sure their planning was as good as they thought, by the way - the Owen deception, in particular, hardly seems foolproof.)

An addictively twisted read which will mess with your head.

Oh and by the way, I live in Aberdeen, Scotland.... Time to start worrying? Thanks a lot, Samantha Downing!
My Lovely Wife started out very good and very quickly it became great. For a debut thriller I was totally blown away. It features murder, secrets and lies and is a lacy thriller that I guarantee you’ll be unable to put down.

I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book and look forward to reading more from Samantha Downing.

Thank you to NetGalley, Penguin UK Michael Joseph and the author for the chance to review.
With a serial killer on the loose, is anyone safe? The family are your typical ordinary family, two kids, but when there the news are updating with missing women almost daily, it starts to affect the teenage daughter.
What really does go on behind closed doors? Is the series killer from twenty years ago attacking young women again? There were so many twists and turns in this book, I couldn't put it down. Even the ending where I thought I knew everything....
A must read.