A Dangerous Act of Kindness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Mar 2019

This is a book that is a good read! Set in WW2 it tells about a young women who is running a remote farm and gives shelter to a  German pilot.  The story initially is about the short period of time they spend together but then develops into their subsequent lives.  It shows how destructive war is both physically and emotionally.  It also emphasises how strong the emotional ties can be to another human being.

I felt the book gave insight to how a single women coped during the war years and it tells the story of the wider issues she had to deal with.  Although this is a novel it definitely had a strong element of believabiltiy about it. and  demonstrates 'mans inhumanity to man' on a wider scale.

An excellent read.with plenty of background information that resonates with the war years.
A fascinating read with plenty of history to add both weight and gravitas to the romantic strand of the story.
Lukas crash lands into Millies life near the start of WW2, falling from the sky to end up in a barn in her farm. Millie takes pity on the injured German and shelters him through a terrible blizzard. The consequences of her decisions are far reaching, affecting those she lives near, works with and cares for.
The book has plenty of thought provoking fact woven into the story and touches on some of the atrocities of the war, not least the actions of the Germans under Hitler but also the way that civilian Germans, who fled to safety at the onset of war, are treated.
The descriptions of the war work undertaken by both the land army but also the imprisoned Germans in labour camps were vivid and most of the characters very likeable ( I genuinely disliked the constantly whinging Hugh!).
I found myself rooting for the fledgeling romance to flourish despite the difficulties that would bring to all involved.
This novel is superbly written and well-researched. It is set during the Second World War and is about treason. I loved the seamless style of writing and the beautiful imagery. There were a lot of fascinating and often shocking facts detailed that I didn’t know. It explains the atrocities of war and unbelievably barbaric practices and the mass murders of the Germans behind the scenes. It would be wrong to paint all the German race as brutal and bloodthirsty, but it was unsettling to discover that many of the Germans relished the onerous duties they performed. I had always given them the benefit of the doubt that they were under orders of their crackpot leader. So much for the Geneva Convention both in Germany and in Britain. I wasn’t impressed by the community's and police’s handling of Lukas. He didn’t start the war and give out orders. He was merely a pawn in the whole deadly, meaningless process. Sadly, the wars appear to have changed nothing. People remain victimised by their colour, creed or politics. Countries and people are still at war in small and horrendous ways. You only need to watch Prime Ministers Question Time, Facebook, read the news or a book to acknowledge that nastiness, anger and defensiveness are alive and well. My only criticism is that the concept of romance seemed sketchy between Lukas and Millie. It manifested itself initially as an opportunist lust rather than the credibility of love. It seemed such a brief, tenuous liaison. This concept was later redeemed as the couple separated and there’s a more substantial romantic, yearning thread throughout the book. I wasn’t sure the couple was a good match: a well-educated, fastidious German and a slovenly country girl who lived in a state of unnecessary squalor. I thought Hugh was more her type. I wasn't quite sure what happened to him at the end. Millie, however, was a sweet little thing, innovative and likeable. I loved the snow and adored Gyp, the faithful dog. I was particularly interested in the Author’s Notes at the end of how the story evolved in her head. Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for a thought-provoking read.
I was intrigued by the storyline of A Dangerous Act of Kindness and I enjoyed it immensely. The characters were likeable and I really rooted for them to find each other.
Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for providing me with a free e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Oh what a great book that I just did not want to put down. It is the beginning of World War 11 and snow lies deep on the ground. A German plane crashes and the pilot alive but injured. Millie helps the pilot Lukas and we have an exciting start to a brilliantly written book. Enjoy.
A really entertaining book about WW2.
Millie a young widow is trying her best to keep her dairy farm going. With the help of her neighbour Hugh, land army girls and evacuees.
During a blizzard a German plane crashes and the pilot hides in Millie's farm. Despite everything Lukas and Millie find themselves deeply attracted to each other.
The story takes us through the prisoner of war camps, information on the atrocities that was happening in Poland and throughout the German held countries. And finally the use of prisoners on the farm to help the farming community
I really enjoyed reading this different stance on modem history and the authors style of writing.
I was gripped by this wartime romance with a difference. Seeing the war unfold in the point of view of a German Luftwaffe pilot who gradually grows more disillusioned as he realises the full extent of his countries behaviour, is somewhat unusual and refreshing. My full review will follow as part of the Blog Tour.
I was given an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review

This was way more history and way way way less romance than I was expecting. It was an interesting look at the period, but it was hard to believe that the two characters were desperately in love with so little time actually spent in each others presence
A German pilot crashes in England during the Second World War and hides out in a barn. The owner of the farm Millie a young widow takes pity on him and takes him in to tend to his wounds. She then hides him from her neighbours to keep him safe even though this could cause her serious consequences.
Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.