Don't Tell Teacher

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I couldn't put this one down!
Told through different POV's, I was intrigued, gripped and heartpoundingly terrified for Tom from beginning to end!
While also writing an excellently-written crime thriller, Suzy also managed to highlight some very real issues such as the difficulties faced by overworked social workers, vulnerable children and domestic abuse.
Drawn into the characters and the story right from the start, and with that shocking twist at the end!?!? - this book is very much a must-read!
Gripping-full of twists and turns. Good plot, great believable characters. Intriguing, compelling with amazing twists and turns and an incredible ending. A must-read.
My thanks to HQ for a digital edition via NetGalley of Suzy K. Quinn’s ‘Don’t Tell Teacher’ in exchange for an honest review. It was published in July 2019. My apologies for the late feedback. I have since bought my own copy.

Lizzie Riley has recently divorced and has switched her six-year-old son Tom to a local academy school with an excellent reputation. It’s a fresh start for both. Yet there are aspects of the school that suggest something strange is happening. There are bars on the windows, a high padlocked fence and parents are forbidden to enter.

Add to this Tom is coming home exhausted and unable to remember his day. He’s having seizures and there are marks on his arm. Lizzie is concerned that if she complains too much that it will raise red flags with social services. She also frets about her ex-husband seeking contact with Tom, even though she was granted full custody.

I find that psychological thrillers/domestic noirs are better read without knowing too many plot details in advance. Lizzie provides the main narrative voice with input from Kate, her overworked social worker, along with a few others to provide different perspectives.

This was certainly a page turner and I found it almost impossible to put down. I felt that aside from writing a gripping domestic thriller, Quinn sought to highlight the difficulties faced by social workers with increasing demands on their time and dwindling resources.

Certainly recommended.
This is not what I expected going in at all!!! I never do spoilers and writing a spoiler free review is proving difficult so I won’t mention plot at all.

I will however tell you that I loved the characters, every single last one of them. From Kate Noble the over worked, close to burn out social worker and her overbearing boss Tessa. The Neilson kids who despite their tough exteriors you can’t help but feel for. Lizzie struggling on her own after divorce and her bat shit crazy mother.

The pacing is slower than the usual thriller but it needs it to really develop both the plot and characters so it didn’t bother me one bit and still managed to finish it within 24 hours. The story is that gripping and the need to know what the hell is going on at the school will keep you flicking the pages furiously.

The last third of the book the pace and tension intensifies until you are left jaw slacked as all is revealed.

I recommend this to readers who love a character led thriller
Ooh this is a tense one.
A very modern thriller, cleverly written with some great twists.
It's an easy read and one that took up my whole weekend on the sofa.
Many thanks for the copy.
A fab read, kept me guessing throughout! Highly recommended. I couldn't stop reading and raced through it in one day. Can't wait for more from the author!
Not one I can really recommend as I found it too plausible. The boy sounded much older than the age he was supposed to be and the school was almost a farce.
I devoured this book in 2 days.... luckily I was on holiday as I couldn't put it down! A story that pulled you in different directions and certainly tricked you into thinking you knew what was going on right until the end. Highly recommended.
This is a brilliant modern family thriller. The storyline was excellent and totally unexpected with a gigantic twist, I never saw coming.
I thought this book was a quick easy read, some interesting twists.
I'll look out for more from Suzy K Quinn
Ok so this one kept me up turning the pages

Lizzie has run away from her abusive husband Ollie together with her 6 year old Tom

She changes Toms name and starts him in a new school and then really weird things keep happening like puncture wounds in Tom’s skin and he keeps having repeated seizures. Lizzie is frantic she knows Tom is being abused but no one will believe her

I didn’t guess the ending to this book until the very nearly end it’s absolutely brilliant
Lizzie has escaped from her abusive husband with her son Tom and moved away.  Kate is their social worker and the book is told in chapters from their point of view.  Tom has a new school and very strange things start to happen as Tom starts to be unwell and is covered in unexplained bruises.  The chapters told by Kate give a good insight into how the social workers are overworked and underfunded and how easily things can slip through the cracks.  I was drawn into the story and the characters from the start and I’m Oe of the reviewers who didn’t see the twist coming at the end.  A highly recommended read.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Thank you to NetGalley and HQ for this arc in exchange for an honest review.

This book was easy to get in to, right from the first page, which I find is always a good start. The story starts at the present time, and then has flashbacks forming an insight into the past interjected throughout. The narrative is mainly told by Lizzie and Kate, but occasionally other key characters narrate their part.
The plot was cleverly constructed and I wasn't sure which way it was heading. Although I did guess what might be happening, it was just a hunch I wouldn't have been able to justify my idea.
I found the title of the book was a bit misleading. It had very little to do with the teacher, in fact the teacher seemed almost inconsequential. School life had a part to play in the story, but the school itself felt very unreal and unbelievable and just muddied the storyline.
The social services involvement in the story was quite scarey, and left me mulling over and wondering how true to life the characters could possibly be.
The conclusion of the book followed the path I expected, and I speedily read to the end.
Really enjoyed this book. I couldn't tell where it was going lead which is always a good sign for keeping me enthralled.
I liked the characters of Kate, the character from Social Services. Good and novel to have a character from this department who is likeable and does a good job.
I'm not sure that the school's part has enough of a role in this book (especially as the book's title reflects this).
Difficult to say too much without giving away the main thread of the book but overall a good read.
Ok....I'm giving this book 3.5 stars as I did enjoy it and it was an easy enough read, but....... I've got to say there were way too many mistakes/plot holes/inconsistencies etc.

Firstly the narrative voice of the 6/7 year old boy did not sit right with me. I work with young children and I don't know how many of them could phrase things quite as maturely as Tom does. It often seemed like a much older character was speaking.
Also, from a medical point of view I'm sure things wouldn't have played out quite as they did in the story? No blood test at any point in time that may have revealed the presence of all of these drugs?

Anyway, in spite of all of the 'glitches' within the story I did enjoy reading the book, although I'm glad that I received it as a Netgalley release, rather than something I'd paid for. I'm not sure that this will be a re-read for me though.
Lizzie and her son Tom are starting a life away from her abusive husband and this means a new school for Tom. Things seem different and odd at this school but Lizzie is determined to find out why.

I'd like to thank netgalley for the opportunity to read this especially as it isn't my normal go to read. I did find it a bit hard to get started but by mid way I didn't want to put it down
Don't Tell Teacher is a page-turning, jaw-dropping read with many twists I did not see coming. The book is mainly told from the perspectives of Lizzie, the mother and Kate, the social worker which I thought made for an incredibly interesting read. The social worker perspective is not one we're given often and that made it more intellectual and therefore enjoyable for me.

What I liked
I liked the fast pace of this plot. I felt that I learned a lot in every chapter, bouncing from Lizzie's past to her present and then to Kate's perspective to round things off. This gave the structure of the book an easy flow and made me feel like I wasn't wondering what had happened when, where or why. This structure also meant that no detail was missed, as things were analysed by young Lizzie, older Lizzie and by Kate, so instead of repeating things as could have been done in a single narrative book, this allowed for reminders of things and then for a separate outlook on them.
I also thought that Tom was a great character and was used so well to show the true trauma that he was put through. From a psychological perspective, he and the Neilson boys were the most complex and interesting characters. I would love to see a book about them told from Kate's perspective in the future. I will say that I admired Kate a lot but was rooting for her to go home and have fun with her husband, as she was too dedicated to the job.

What I didn't like
Firstly, I thought the title was great, but since reading it, it is a little confusing to me. The actual school part of the storyline was perhaps lacking, only in that we never found out anything about the headteacher's methods until right at the end and it didn't have much bearing on the rest of the plot. Yes the headteacher is corrupt, but that entire sub-plot could have happened on its own separate to the rest of the plot, which made it feel weak. I would have preferred if the headteacher had had  a bit more to do with Tom's well-being, as otherwise his villainy is not up to scratch.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It is tense and dramatic and the kind of domestic thriller that I cannot help but devour very quickly. I would recommend this book to people who love domestic thrillers, especially Lesley Kara's The Rumour. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my proof and e-arcs of this book. 4*
Lizzie Riley has escaped from an abusive relationship. She has managed to escape from Ollie, her husband, & with her son Tom, is trying to create a new life for them. The Social Services have managed to get Tom a place in a prestigious outstanding school. Maybe now things will get better for them. However from the beginning she has misgivings about the school. The Headteacher seems obsessed with security & the parents are not allowed through the locked school gates. The school seems unnaturally quiet with the pupils very subdued.

Kate is a social worker, constantly chasing her tali she struggles to do the best for the families on her list. At first Lizzie & Tom's case seems straight forward, but why is Tom suddenly having fits? Why is he always so tired & how did he get those marks on his arm that look like needle marks? What is going on?

The story flashes back to the start of Lizzie's relationship with Ollie, making the reader very sympathetic towards her.

The solution to Tom's problems was not something I saw coming. It was a good edge of your seat read. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Don’t Tell Teacher is a fantastic thriller that had me staying awake longer than I should have done to try and figure out how this was going to end.
The chapters are told from different characters perspectives, the first being Lizzie Riley, mother of Tom and has just been relocated to a different place, house and for Tom, school as well. This is to escape Toms dad, Ollie, who for years has subjected Lizzie to mental and bodily abuse. After turning his hand to Tom, Lizzie sought the help of social workers to get her out of this relationship and get an injunction on Ollie. Kate is another character that has her own chapters and it shows how she has too much on her plate trying to help all the children on her list. I liked Kate and thought she was a very realistic character. The school Tom attends is a strange one and I wasn’t sure where this fitted and indeed how but it did.
This was a fantastic thriller with an ending I didn’t see coming.
I would like to thank Netgalley and HQ for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
Lizzie and her son Tom Riley – nee Kinnock are hiding.

From her ex-husband and Tom’s dad – Olly – once a loving, caring man he became dominating, abusive and angry – they had to leave, he hurt Tom and now they’ve moved and are started a new life – a fresh start.

Tom starts a new school, but it’s like a prison with locked gates, CCTV and the strangest headmaster – the unfortunately named (for a teacher) Mr Cockrun – Tom already brings the stigma of being a ‘social services’ child and so brings trouble, as far as Mr. Cockrun is concerned. Tom soon befriends children also with troubles and the same social worker, Kate – which turns out for them is a godsend. As its often the forgotten hardworking social workers that manage to piece together the puzzles that others have tried to avoid.

I love a book with characters you thought you knew, that suddenly throws a total curveball in the mix and shakes the whole story up into something else entirely different from how you thought the story was going to end.

A truly brilliant and plausible storyline, which I am sure Suzy K Quinn cackled with glee over when she added that fatal blow. A fabulous sun bed read – greatly relevant in today's society and the way the world is made to think about peoples lives and – ‘which side of the town they come from’.

Well done Suzy K Quinn – Loved it !