Time and How to Spend It

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

James Wallman is a man determined to change the world and how we experience it. I like his approach although I accept it will not resonate with everyone. Like his previous book "Stuffocation", Mr Wallman emphasises that the people who get more out of life are the people who have experiences rather than the people who have things. This book is an extension of his thinking and a clear definition of his manifesto. It is a strong one:-

"As more of us do this, we'll improve our chances of solving our local and global environmental issues. We'll flatten the social gradient and reduce the negative impacts of status-oriented society. We'll solve other problems of the well-being deficit. We'll reduce loneliness, increase exercise, improve joy, and increase life satisfaction. As we take on board the latest findings from the science of success, we'll evolve capitalism so that it's fit for purpose for human society in the twenty-first century."

Wow - how can you not go along with that? Even if you are cynical and take these claims with a pinch of salt, there is much to gain from reading this book. It is well researched, often quoting esteemed psychological studies, and although it sometimes seems like 'common sense', you then have to pause and ask yourself why you don't behave more in this way? The book is challenging and entertaining and I for one will try to live more for experiences than for the latest or newest "thing" society says I should crave. Clearly, if we all stop craving these things, then capitalism will indeed have to change.

Recommended if you feel that there should be more to life than the latest i-phone...

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Firstly, thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House UK for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I love my non-fiction books, especially anything to do with self-development though I had mixed feelings about this book.  It didn't really have anything new in it that I hadn't read before and perhaps the irony of it meant that I would have spent my time reading something else.  However, I do love reading and was curious to see what the author had to say so I did manage to finish the book eventually.

The title is a brilliant one, it does make a reader like me want to pick it up and read it and anything with Happier in the title with our stress-filled lives is a good thing.

One of the things that was different was the acronym that the author came up with though I've forgotten so I'll refer back to the book "STORIES"  Story, Transformation, Outside and Offline, Relationships, Intensity, Extraordinary, and Status and Significance.
Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Books for a preview copy

Interesting ideas about spending time doing rather than acquiring, and relevant stories about famous people. However I did find it repetitive in places towards the end.
Interesting book but does rather go on and on a lot with long stories in each of the seven chapters.

It covers lots of ideas, some of which are useful, though it assumes that people that are alone are lonely in some way, but this I'd disagree with as not everyone wants company or even seeks it out and are fine being by themselves.  Great book to dip into a bit at a time if you want to shake your life up a but and be more present.

I received this book from netgalley in return for a honest review.
I enjoyed this book and found much of it useful, especially the seven tips. At times, his depth of examples became tedious, although I sense he felt he needed to completely evidence the points he was making. For those that would find them of value, like me, the self-reflection questions, though in a stilted format, were also helpful.
Time is a precious commodity for everyone, and I would recommend anyone who does not manage their time well to read this book! You will learn some useful stuff, but they will only work if you put them into practice, repeatedly!
TIME AND HOW TO SPEND IT by James Wallman

I did find a lot of the book very interesting.  I requested it because, like a lot of people I find myself wasting time every day and I was looking for some advice on how to reduce this.  I am not sure the book achieved what I wanted it to and it felt as if the title should have been linked to improving happiness rather so I felt I had missed the point of the book so I did find some of the book slightly irrelevant compared to what I had hoped it would be about.    However, I did find all the anecdotal stories really interesting and the book felt quite motivational.   I particularly liked the story of Mme C.J. Walker who was the daughter of Negro slaves and made a fortune making hair products and used her money to help others.   I also liked the way the book was written and it was easy to follow.   I also liked the fact it was British and therefore had lots of relevance such as suggesting visiting different places.   There are lots of examples of things to do to live a more satisfying life and although it wasn’t what I was expecting I did think the book would help me try to lead a better life.  The advice is about doing more activities and spending less time on social media and watching TV which has to be good.
Thanks to Net Galley for allowing me to read and review this book.
I found the first half of this book really engaging - I loved all the examples of the value of checklists - but found it harder going and increasingly repetitive as I read on. The overall message is important, and it did make me think about time spent on screens etc, but compared to other self-help books I didn't come away with a strong desire to implement the ideas I'd read about.
James Wallman's Time and How to Spend It is a mixed bag. I found the first half a struggle - trying to overlay a book structure onto your holiday arrangements seems great in theory, but in reality no-one does, or would do, that. Plus, the anecdotes seem shoe-horned into places where they didn't belong, with a few even seemingly unrelated to the point being make. The writing was wordy and too chummy for describing intelligent lifestyle improvements where a succinct idea economically stated would have a greater impact - it felt as though he wasn't sure who his audience was. I was on the point of putting the book down, but the second half started resonating with me - topics like status and significance I felt were insightful and helpful. A good read, but you may find like me, some chapters are very skippable.
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest, independent review.

James Wallman focuses on seven rules for a richer, happier life and, using STORIES as an acronym, he explains how we can transform our lifes to make better use of our time, with the following factors: story, transformation, outside & offline, relationships, intensity, extraordinary, status & significance.

Although the book is thoroughly researched with lots of studies to back up the author's points, it did make the book a bit tiresome at times. Yes, these studies are required, but I felt they could have been cut down a bit.

There were quizzes at the end of each chapter. These were also a bit repetitive but fun and interesting to do anyway. However, I found the quizzes hard to do on a Kindle as the answers were at the end of the book so there was a bit of going back and forth.

The basic message of the book is to get out there, live your life and do stuff rather than sit inside, and you'll live a more richer, happier life.  Not entirely sure I agree with that, but maybe I'll revisit the book in the future again and I might think differently at another time in my life.
I enjoyed this book and thought it gave some really good ideas and pointers.  It definitely made me think about how I spend my time - it's too easy to pass an entire evening sat in from of the TV but there's so many other things that I could do.
Really got me thinking about my leisure time and planning to spend it doing things that add joy to my life.
Really engaging book on how to spend your time and get the most out of life. Good mixture of stories and research, lots of great ideas and questions to get you thinking about your own habits.
An enjoyable read that I will definitely come back to.
Really enjoyed this. A real eye opener to how you spend your time (and how you probably have a lot more than you think once you remove certain distractions). A great shot in the arm to shake up how you order your days.
This is a smart and practical guide about how to stop procrastinating and start living. Looking at sociological and psychological research the writer creates a witty and engaging handbook brimming with ideas on how to get more out of life.
I loved Stuffocation, and like so many people these days I never feel like I have enough time, so I was excited to read James Wallman’s new book. There are some nice ideas here and he’s great at sharing examples from his own life to illustrate a point. Occasionally I wanted something a bit more - there were quite a few discussions/examples that have been quite widely explored already, so it did t always feel super original. There’s not much in the way of how to practically manage your time in order to focus on the things you really want to do, but it did make me think about how I spend my time and what is more worthwhile, and I think that’s the author’s aim
This book caught my attention as we all wish we had more time.
It was insightful and gave great examples to back up his theory, it was easy to follow and gave much to think about.
The questions to answer were interesting and gave you things to consider, it was like the book was interactive. What was also interesting was how my answers I chose changed through the book which was a direct result of reading the chapters and taking it all on board.
The 7 steps are easy to follow, I’m not suggesting I will apply it to all my time but certain points were stayed with me.
The summaries at the end of each chapter made it easy to remember the main points.
This was an insightful and interesting, I would happily recommend this to friends.
Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity of reading this book in exchange of a honest review.
An excellent book full of interesting anecdotes. It's such a good idea to consider how we spend our 'spare' time, and to maximise it.  Lots of charts/checklists to keep us on track too.
Highly recommended
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC
I liked the STORIES approach to how to better spend your time, since reading this book I have started to re-think how I spend my time.  Very good approach and a useful book to refer to time and time again.
Chirpy up=beat self-help book.  Nothing that different from other recent titles but a good style.  I particularly liked the advice on how to get the most out of a holiday - by giving it a good ending in terms of what we remember.
Fantastic book. Fascinating topic and the author brought the information together so it flowed and each chapter built on the one before. It helped me greatly to look back on events in my life and see the positives, and how I can I apply the same principles to my future. This book will change your perspective on how you see life and you will be grateful for what you learn.
I read this book at the beginning of my holiday and I’m so glad I did. It made me think differently about how I ‘spend’ my time and how to create memorable experiences. It is well written, with solid evidence and I loved the summing up of the chapter at the end of each one. A really impressive addition to the field of knowledge on how to spend time wisely and curate your life.