Cover Image: Truman the Dog

Truman the Dog

This is a great new addition to the series My Furry Foster Family. Designed for children 5-7 years old it’s great little beginner chapter book about fostering a dog named Truman. 8 year old Kaita has her hands full with Truman as he gets into lots of trouble at her house.
I enjoyed reading this younger reader and think children at the right reading level will enjoy it also. I appreciate the series and would like to introduce my 8 year old to it. He would love to read about being a foster family to a pet in need of a home. A very sweet story with delightful illustrations!
Thank you to NetGalley and Capstone for this advanced reader copy.
This book is part of the Furry Foster Family Series by Debbi Michiko Florence and Illustrations by Melanie Demmer and is about a family who fosters a Dog named Truman, but not everything goes as planned while Truman is there.

I read this book with my sons during our Homeschool session today, and we all loved it! The Story itself was very heartwarming and I believe it will win the hearts of those kids who truly love animals. I love that it teaches you about fostering animals and helping out in any way possible. The only thing we did wish for was more illustrations, my boys loved the pictures and they were all so beautiful, just wish there were more so I'm giving this book 4/5 stars. All in all, I will be recommending this to our Homeschool Co-op group for being such a loving story. I was sent this book for an honest review by Netgalley and the publishing company Capstone, so a big thank you to them.
A short chapter book about a dog named Truman who is being fostered until he finds his forever home.  A lot of things go wrong, but in the end, it goes all right for everyone.
An early reader book about the Takano family. This book is a heartwarming book about a little girl named Kaito and being a foster parent to a rescue dog named Truman. At first Truman is very wary of new people, and chews things when left alone. The family learns all about Truman and what personality he has, and adjust their care accordingly. They find out how hard it is giving him up, once they have fallen in love with him and he is a part of their lives.  In the end they are a little sad, but also very happy Truman found a good forever-family. Highly recommend to all families, especially if they are thinking about being foster parents to a pet.
I'll definitely be purchasing this early chapter book series for my library. The story is sweet and cute, the ups and downs of being a foster family for pets are addressed, the illustrations are adorable, and having another series for animal lovers on the shelves is always a plus—as is a series with a mixed-race lead and other lead POC characters. One last plus comes at the end of the book: pictures of a real-life Kaita, on whom the protagonist is loosely based, explanations of their similarities and differences, and clear delineation of the terms ‘fiction’ and ‘nonfiction’. One irritation? The occasional use of sentence fragments, which I’ve been noticing in everything from chapter books to series nonfiction. I’m not averse to using fragments for style, but at this reading level, I’m concerned that kids will adopt them in their writing and get corrected/marked down by their teachers—which would have been frustrating for me as a kid. I’m not a rigid grammarian; I think sentence fragments will probably be the next thing to be widely accepted as ‘not incorrect’ due to common usage. But (see what I did there 😉?) that hasn’t happened yet, and until it does, I’d prefer not to see them in books geared to young learners.
Truman, a spunky back lab, needs foster care before he finds his forever home.  The Takano family has volunteered to have him come and stay with them indefinitely until a home can be found.

He is full of mischief and keeps the family on alert each and every day.  Eight-year-old Kaita gets very attached to him even though he is a little rascal.  Will he find a family who wants to adopt him and keep him always?  Will Kaita be able to let him go knowing his stay with her family was only temporary?

"Truman the Dog" is part of the "My Furry Foster Family" series. This simple and inspiring chapter book has fun, kid-friendly illustrations that are very relatable.  The author has included a glossary at the end of the book of words that may be unfamiliar to the young reader.

The story is charming, the message is positive: rescue animals are available to love and blend into your family.  Both parties are happy winners when that happens.  I highly recommend this book.
This was a beautiful and caring book about fostering animals. Truly wonderful storyline and the illustrations did it justice. An absolutely amazing book that filled my heart with love.
This book is SO adorable! Informative and educational for children interested in fostering. Entertaining and fun. Highly recommend for pet lovers and anyone interested in fostering. Great book! Cannot wait for the next in the series!
Truman the Dog is the first in The My Furry Foster Family series, where a young girl named Kaita and her family foster a dog named Truman. This is a nice early chapter book for those who like animals. Truman is a black Labrador who needs a new home. The Happy Tails Rescue have asked Kaita’s family to foster him while a new home is found. It is not easy to find new homes for older animals. He is shy at first, but Kaita and Ollie The dachshund are able to bring him out of his shell and make him feel at home. Truman has some problems with abandonment and when left alone, he finds trouble, but the family are able to figure out how to help Truman. They finally find the perfect forever home for him. My only issue is that Kaita is pretty good about letting Truman go to his new family after getting pretty attached to him. I am not sure if an eight year old would give him up so easily. Having said that, this is an absolutely charming story about loving and rescuing dogs and all you will get back from them. The illustrations are colourful and cute. I just wish there were more of them. With this being a beginning chapter book, I think early readers rely on illustrations to help them with the context of the story. I do recommend this one to schools and classrooms as well as public library. There are several in this series and I think it might be a winner with young animal lovers.
4+ stars
Such a sweet story about a family fostering an older dog and helping to find him a family that will appreciate him.  The story was good and the illustrations very cute.
A fun read for any age.
Thank you NetGalley and publishers, Capstone and Picture Window Books, for the opportunity to read this ARC.
I love that this  book has fostering and an older pet. Kids can see older pets still have spunk. Great illustrations
This is such a sweet book that teaches kids the important lesson of fostering shelter animals and how the older dogs get over looked. The illustrations are wonderful and the story was a delightful.  Thank you Debbi Michiko Florence for writing this wonderful book and helping the shelter animals. Thank you Capstone via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. This is my honest opinion.
A heartwarming story with great illustrations!!

This is a wonderful book about fostering a dog. Kaita and her family are lovable and relatable. This one is particularly relatable for families in the fostering process but would be awesome for anyone!

I recommend highly, this book is delightful for people of all ages.

Thank you to Debbi Michiko Florence, Capstone Picture Window Books and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was absolutely adorable! I loved the story and thought the illustrations added so much. I can see myself recommending this to so many kids in my branch and will be immediately adding this to our acquisitions order list for later this year, because I think it will be a big hit. I loved the diversity in the family being Japanese-American, and I also really appreciated the fun facts in the back of the book highlighting the differences and similarities between the book version of Kaita and the real-life Kaita the character was based on.
A really, really cute read! I loved Truman the Dog - it was so fun to see a Japanese-American main character, and her family fostered a dog! It's a great way for kids and families to learn about the joys and benefits of fostering pets.

I received an ARC from the publisher for a honest review.
Truman the Dog by Debbi Michiko Florence is part of the My Furry Foster Family series.  Kaita and her family become a foster family to a lovable mischief filled mixed lab named Truman. The story tells how Truman adjusts to his new foster family and how Kaita's family and dog Ollie adjust to him.  The Gracia family adopts Truman and Kaita has some emotions she has to work through when he is gone.

This book would great for grade school readers who are starting to read chapter books.
Truman the Dog is an early reader chapter book that was a great choice for our grade school aged children. They enjoyed this book which is the first in a new series called My Furry Foster family.  It was a great introduction to what fostering a dog can look like, for both the family that is fostering and the challenges that the dog may encounter during this process.

Florence did a wonderful job of sharing the triumphs and struggles of both fostering and also the process of finding a forever home for the animal which can feel bittersweet in many ways.  I appreciated that it showed that not every family is the right fit for a foster dog and how important a decision choosing a forever family, and forever pet really is.

This story was engaging and also educational and our kids found it very enjoyable to read.  The glossary at the end of the book was an extra bonus and we especially enjoyed learning more about the real-life Kaita who fosters animals with her family. We look forward to reading the next book in the Furry Foster Family series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Capstone Publishing for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
I chose this book because last year I became a foster mother for the first time. Of course, my husband and I failed right off the bat. We were too sad to think of her leaving us and after about 3 weeks we made the decision to keep Donut. We THOUGHT we would be able to continue fostering but she decided she didn't want any other animals around. One day we will have to have the aggression trained out of her but right now, I help the shelter by walking dogs and running their Instagram. I loved this book because it shows children the importance of helping animals at a young age. It showed the steps that are taken and what could potentially happen. Hopefully it gets through to many kids out there who grow up to be responsible adults.
A lovely early read for children. Akita and family adopted a dog previously and have been asked to foster Trumanuntil he gets his forever home. A wonderful story about the escapades Truman gets up to and letting go of a pet so he can be happy with his new family. A great book to teach children about responsibility with animals, the art is lovely and fits in perfectly to keep young readers interested. Little ones will love this and be eager for the next.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Truman the Dog is the first  in The My Furry Foster Family series of young reader books,

He is shy at first, but Kaita and Ollie The dachshund son make him feel at home. After a few little escapades, where Truman found trouble, he settles down and Kaita learns all his little foibles so they can find a perfect family for Truman. This is an absolutely charming tale all about showing love to animals and the love they give back.

The illustrations are so cute and fit the story perfectly. I loved the extras included after the story itself, there is the background to the tale, a glossary and activities to complete. Perfect for young readers around 5-7 years old.

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for free in exchange for a fair and honest review