Last Summer

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

I enjoyed this book very much. I didn't think that the novel was extremely compelling, but it was fun to read on a weekend tucked in my home relaxing.
I really enjoyed this standalone book by Kerry Lonsdale. As my first book by this author, it won't be my last. It was intriguing trying to figure out the story line... I couldn't put the book down! There was definitely some unexpected twists in this book & I enjoyed challenging my expectations of the outcomes. I really enjoyed each character, I felt like I could empathize with each one of them and their experience in this story. Well worth a read.
“My mother always preached that the more bite marks on your tongue, the happier your marriage.
Marital success isn’t measured by what you share with your spouse. It’s what you don’t.”

I received an ARC copy of Last Summer by Kerry Lonsdale from Netgalley ... and all I have to say is I am mad at myself I didn’t read it sooner. I started and finished this book in one day. I couldn’t put it down and just had to know what happened.

Ella Skye is a lifestyle journalist for Luxe Avenue. She has spent her entire career interviewing politicians, movie stars, musicians and Wall Street types. Using her personality, good looks and power to get the best story. That is how Ella met her husband Damien, the owner of a security company, trying to get a story from him.

Ella waking up in a hospital bed, unsure of why she is there and unable to recall the events leading up to this moment. Damien tells her, she was in a horrible car accident and the accident caused them to loose their unborn son. After her initial shock, Ella soon admits that not only does she not remember the accident and being in the hospital for a week, but she doesn’t remember the five months of pregnancy prior. The doctors diagnose her with selective amnesia.

Months later Ella’s memories still haven’t return. Her marriage is strained, and Damien still won’t talk to her about his grief. Ella receives a call from her editor to pick a story that was pulled the summer prior, with Nathan Donovan. A man who she doesn’t remember, but was told she extensive time with the previous summer. She immediately agrees, then finds herself googling him. Ella is desperate for any clues to what she has forgotten. She believes that the interview with Nathan Donovan, a celebrity adventure, who also lost a son will help her, will maybe help to trigger some of the memories she is missing. But she also must decide if she even wants to remember?

“Our minds can be sneaky. They’ll plant false memories when we can’t make sense of something and bury others when we can’t deal. Your memories are there, but for whatever reason, you can’t retrieve them.”

While reading I could see this book being a great summer movie! I would totally see it. I don’t want to say too much and give the book away, but i was surprised at every turn, and really enjoyed reading Last Summer. This is the first book I have read by Kerry, but I am going to be looking up her others to read soon!
Last Summer is a twisty novel with interesting characters. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys psychological suspense.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC! The opinions in this review are honest and my own. #LastSummer #suspense
I had a hard time getting into this book. Although I was super excited about it being a great summer read I just didn't feel invest in the characters. It wasn't really a thriller but had some thriller elements. Overall it wasn't one of my favorites.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read Last Summer in advance.

There is some difficulty in placing Last Summer in any sort of category or genre. Although there is a mystery surrounding Ella’s missing memories and the pace is fast and full of tension it is not a thriller. Even a “domestic” or “relationship” thriller. I would most likely call it women’s fiction or romantic suspense? I’m not sure.

I also struggled with the over the top dramatics of every character and every event in their lives. Damien’s parents aren’t just estranged they are awful people. Ella’s aren’t just dead but died in a horrible way viewed by their children. The issues with babies and children in this book are also wildly attention grabbing and feel gross and cheap to me. There are at least four children that die before the age of 16 in this book including the one the entire story is built around. Basically, this book is plotted around child death (past and present), screwed up parents, lies, secrets and wildly attractive people who have hot sex. Not one character feels relatable or real. Even once all the cards and the past and it’s motivations are revealed it feels more like the plot of a soap opera or Lifetime movie than the story of people who walk this earth.
Maybe this book is fun beach read or break between serious books but I didn’t enjoy the plot or the characters. There are no laughs and it uses dead kids to push the plot which is low hanging fruit to this reader.
A quick beach read about a journalist torn between two men.
​
The story opens with a female journalist in hospital with memory loss. She cannot remember anything about the accident or the unborn baby she has lost. She asks her husband to fill in the blanks - but maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow. Maybe this is the suspense element. When she is sufficiently recovered she has an interview gig with someone she has interviewed before, but cannot remember. Curiouser and curiouser.

Until it becomes obvious that both men are perfect specimens of masculinity, with perfect teeth and 'ice blue eyes', and, basically, irresistible. The married journalist commits adultery and at this point the outcome of the whole story becomes obvious. So early on, too. She is 'in love' with two men. It's a love that shows no affection other than 'cupping his jaw' or cheek and sexual attraction.

The concept of memory loss is not as big a theme as first indicated and the story would have benefited from some development here. Although the protagonist has meetings with a psychologist this is not a psychological thriller, and the things not said represent the apparent deceit. An easy read about wealthy attractive people who wear designer shoes, set in a beautiful landscape, and so on.  If romance is is your thing, this book is something to read on your next holiday.

#NetGalley #LastSummer
Okay, it was nice.

Starting was confusing a little bit, but soon the book grasped you.
It turns out an amazing psychological drama, with hateful characters lying, mistreating and playing games.
And at the end of the book, the climax stuns you.
A thrilling and heartfelt story; draws you in very  quickly and doesn't let go. Excellent character development. Highly recommended!
Last Summer was a 3.5 star read! It was almost a 4! The characters were well developed, the pacing of the plot was spot on, and the cliffhanger and tease of more to come was great! The one downfall for me was that the story was a bit unrealistic, causing my eyes to roll on a few occasions. I am currently working my way through the "Everything" series and I really do love the common thread that Kerry weaves with provocative psychological disorders involving memory, so I will be looking forward to the next installment!
Thank you to NetGalley!!
More than Ella, I guess this book shocked me. Had it not been for what the author wrote in her acknowledgements, I almost lost a little faith in humanity. I read a book so full of suspense after a long time, and unwittingly this became my first psychological suspense. Suspense and Thrillers are my first love, and first love is always special!

The book starts with a prologue, an interview of Academy Award-winning actress Amira Silvers by Ella Skye. The date is 18 August 2018. Such an interesting and a different start to a story, which sets the pace for all that is to come. With the lost memories, there's a lot of going back and forth throughout the book but, it is done so deftly that it never once confuses you.

The story then starts in November 2018 with Ella waking up in a hospital. She is disoriented, with a splinted wrist and a gauze on her pelvis. And with no idea how she got there. Her loving husband seems to be angry with her for forgetting her pregnancy, hinting that she forgot everything deliberately, which doesn't make any sense. She is all the more surprised because when they married a few years back, Damien had made it clear that he didn't want any kids, opposite of what she wanted, but the fear of losing him made her keep quiet about her feelings.

The author's writing is so powerful and I'm in such awe that I can't wait to read her other works. The characters have been sketched exactly for them to smoothly achieve what they set their minds to. The title has its own place, as it is Ella who wants to find out what happened to her/with her, Last Summer.

Woah! I usually don't like reading stories where the lead characters cheat on their better halves with others, but this was something else. I thought of this as an amnesia story, and I love a good amnesiac romance, but this is more than that. So much deception. So much of hiding the truth. And of course, miscommunication, which is pretty standard in relationships. The author drops a bomb towards the end, just when you think that the story has ended. Shit! What mind-blowing premise and execution! I just don't know how to react to the 'you just hang in there' ending. I want to know what happens after that, though in a self-deprecating way I know that it will ruin it. Too much information!

This is a story which I would recommend for a read and a re-read!

Thank you to the author - Kerry Lonsdale, the publisher - Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for this review copy.
This is a favorite author of mine and I was thrilled to read this next release by Kerry Lonsdale.  This was a exciting read that I was unable to part with until the last page was done.  It is part thriller, part mystery and part love story.

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the ARC. I enter my own opinions.

Ella and Damien are a couple facing a crisis. She has been in a accident and lost their baby.  She also does not remember being pregnant or her husband and their marriage.  She remembers her career but not her marriage.  As she recovers she finds mysterious clues to her marriage and finds out that her husband is not who she thought he was and that her loss of memory may be tied to her husband and past events after all.

I did not expect the twist and turns of this plot The ending was so exciting and fun to conclusion. I loved the rich charcters and the plot development is very smartly written.   The fast pace almost takes your breath away page after page as you will be as captivated as I was.
Well done to the author another winning story that is a fun read.
This book was like a roller coaster ride, with all of the twists and turns! I was up late last night finishing it because I had to know how it ended. It wasn't and ending I would have predicted!
Absolutely fantastic. My favorite book of Kerry Lonsdale this far.  See Goodreads review for more info.
I love a twisted mystery and didn't mind the "romance" aspect to it. This unique story kept me guessing the ENTIRE time. I thought I had the mystery figured out but was totally wrong. You will never see this ending coming!!!!!!! My only complaint- with a twist so big, I really wanted MORE information and felt the ending wrapped up a little too quickly for my liking.

Thank you Netgalley for this book. My review is unbiased and optional.
Twisting and turning, the book keeps you guessing until the end - again playing with memory like the authors other books. I thought I had it all figured out 20% of the way through but I was wrong. This was a quick read, and one I couldn't put down. My opinions on Nathan, Damien and Ella changed throughout the book, and that ending! I had issues with this book, but I sorta forgave some of them. The premise seems crazy, and it is. Really people, honesty is the best policy - no matter what you experienced as a child.
What an compelling read!  So many lies and twists in this book, you may get a bit dizzy.  Loved the memory loss, or the use of it, even though I’ve seen it used multiple times.  Well written!
Will be sure to rave it up!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and liked the twists and the computer connections.  My book group liked this book also and all 10 women have read the book.  There was a freshness to the story and that people could clear up memories was quite an interesting idea to mull.  I reviewed the book on my blog
The jacket description of this book drew me in with all sorts of questions.  As the story unfolds, I had more questions.  The back story was built and slowly enlarged as you try to figure out exactly what did happen last summer.  The characters are perfect, playing off each other as if you were watching them in real life.  The tension and suspense build, moving each character into play as Ella tries to piece together her life.  This was a really good book written by an excellent author who gave me plenty of clues that did not come together until close to the end.  One of the stories that when someone talks to you while you're reading, they get the "hand" and a "go away" sign.
I've read Kerry Lonsdale's Everything trilogy and really enjoyed all three books, so was happy to receive an ARC of this, her latest book.  And it didn't disappoint.  There was a common element with Ella's memory loss, but these were very different characters, and a very different kind of memory loss.  There are clue crumbs dropped throughout, but I didn't put most of them together until towards the end.  And even then, there were surprises.  For me, that's a great sign of a suspenseful novel - it kept me reading and guessing and wanting to know what really happened and how.  I didn't always like the characters, and even at the end wasn't quite sure how I felt about them, yet they fascinated me.  I really enjoyed this one, it kept me guessing and entertained all the way through.

My thanks to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing a copy for an unbiased review.