The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

This book was such a win for me! I don’t often read thrillers - I’m just not drawn to them - but there was so much positive buzz about this book that my interest was piqued. Then I had the chance to meet the authors at an  event last month, and they were just the best. I knew I had to read this!⁣
⁣
If you are like me and love plots with a “Sliding Doors” scenario, you will definitely enjoy this one! In alternating chapters, we learn what happens to the title character, Lila, following a singular decision.

In one version of the story, Lila, a successful criminal defense attorney, is captured by a mysterious psychopath. In the other version, Lila is “free” to continue her life.⁣ ⁣

This was engaging from the first page and highly entertaining! So glad I read it!⁣
THE TWO LILA BENNETTS  features a Sliding Doors-style gimmick where a choice made by the main character leads to two parallel lives. One where she’s captured and one where she’s free. I enjoyed the differences between her two lives but I think it could have been more fun!

Every character is either Good or Bad. Lila is Bad because she’s a defense attorney whose clients may be guilty, she cheats on her husband, she is mean to people (supposedly; this is never shown). Her best friend Carrie is Good because she’s cheerful and kind. The characters are not drawn in grey areas so there’s not much of a mystery in finding out who wants Lila dead. The villain is pretty fascinating though, I wish we got more of them. I didn't find the criticism of Lila working too much or selling her soul to her job convincing. In fact, I liked that she was great at her job! Overall, the thriller is a little preachy in some parts but it was a fast read with an interesting concept.
I enjoyed this novel. A very clever parallel universe psychological thriller. It was interesting and kept me intrigued.
This was confusing at first but once you got into a manageable rhythm it was quite easy enough to get into it. I enjoyed the plot but the characters...I enjoyed the plot lol! I always find it so admirable when two writers are able to have a great relationship and their words flow and ebb so easily like this that the book comes out beautifully. It's real talent on their part.

This was a fast and fun thriller and not my first from them and will definitely not be my last.

Thank you very much to Netgalley and the publisher for my copy of this ARC.
This book was an amazing psychological thriller. It held my attention from the moment I started it, I did get confused at first when they were switching back and forth between the two scenarios. But, I picked up on that fast.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book...
Hello duo writers, what a collaboration!! I was so impressed with how well this storyline flowed. Though I will admit while reading on my Kindle I thought the chapter was repeating at first, haha oops! Quickly realized the title change though and was on my way! I do have to say this was definitely the first time I've read a book with an alternating storyline like this. The storyline goes back and forth between the FREE Lila Bennett & the CAPTURED. I LOVED IT!! So unique and truly had me questioning who the culprit was the entire time. At one point I was so sure I had it all figured out ... complete blindside! Love, Love, LOVE a book like that!! I look forward to being shocked and was I ever. Now I need to get my hands on their other 5 books! The writing was so so good!!

Huge thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my review copy!
4 stars! I started on the book the other day, but paused to finish book 2 of the Shades of Magic series.😉 And then finished it last night.

It started slow but by gum, 35% in and my heart skipped twice, and my unease has grown. This was like Sliding Doors (check out the movie if you can. I like that movie) only darker.

I thought, if my suspicions are correct, this is one sick individual! I was wrong. You never really know a person, don’t you? And for Lila (and me), that person was totally unexpected. And not quite right in the head either.

It wasn’t hard to follow the two paths. Of course I like the path of the free Lila, especially towards the end when she started on a new path.But was it better really? A little spoiler here: it ends like Sliding Doors does. So know you ask, which was the better path for Lila?

Thank you Lake Union Publishing for this review copy. It was fun read! And you too @netgalley
#NetGalley #The Two Lila Bennetts #Lake Union Publishing

Lila Bennett is a successful criminal defense attorney, competitive and pretty much only out for number one. She made some bad choices on her way to success and made a few enemies, now those choices are coming back to bite her.

The story is told in two time frames "Free" Lila is going about her life, being the successful, cold hearted defense attorney. "Captured" she is being held prisoner and her captor is making her review her life and the decisions that she has made.

The story was very well told and had many twists and turns. It kept me guessing and very surprised at the end.  It was like watching Karma in action.
I have mixed feelings about this book.  First, I liked the premise.  However, I didn't like any of the characters.  In my mind, they had no redeeming characteristics.  They were selfish and egotistical.  I also found the plot to move extremely slowly. But I kept reading because I was reviewing and I kept hoping that the plot would improve. For me, it never did.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.
It’s been a couple days and I still am not sure how I feel about this book. It was really good, but I don’t really understand the point of having two different perspectives unless one was supposed to be good Lila and the other bad Lila? But they both seemed like the bad Lila and then she decided to be better? That’s the only thing I could think of. Other than that I did think it was well written and it kept my attention. Near the end I figured out who it was, but I still finished it to see how the author revealed it. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Overall, it’s something I would recommend to read.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I received a net galley of The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke, in exchange for an honest review. Lila Bennet is a high powered attorney who is scrupulous and does not make the best decisions. When she is kidnapped, she is forced to face down her demons. The book shows two sides to her story and it is up to the reader to decide which is true or false. I enjoyed the book and found it an intriguing read.
Thank you to netgalley the publishers and the author for this ARC in exchanged for an unbiased review

the idea of the book was really good and i like chapters moving between the parallel universes i just found at times it became a little messy to truly get in to
The premise of this book is super interesting. A woman, Lila Bennett, has made many bad decisions in her life; when contemplating making another bad decision, her life is split into two alternate realities and we get to see both play out. In one reality, she is being held hostage and in another reality she has eluded the hostage situation but is still being punished for her decisions.
It wasn't that I didn't enjoy this book, it kept me interested enough and I desperately wanted to see how it ended. I just wish that the two separate Lilas were explained a bit more. It was clear that they were ongoing at the same time and even slightly connected but that's where the tie in ended. I just found myself constantly wondering when there was going to be more of a connection between the two Lilas.
If you don't need an explanation for everything you're reading, then this is definitely a book I would recommend. It was really clever, well paced and had me wanting more. I just think personally, I would have enjoyed this one more if there had only been one Lila Bennett to follow.

Thanks to netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for a copy of this book for review
Liz and Lisa take the idea of a parallel universe and use it to lay out Lila's life before the reader. Dual decisions, dual lives describing how her life could go. Criminal defense attorney Lila Bennett's bad decisions are catching up to her and it's a race to see how she's going to survive. What path will she take? What will she do? Great writing with a bit of a rushed ending with many twists and turns along the way.
A great thriller that kept me guessing!  I enjoyed the way the book was told from two points of view, as the character's life is split in two.  Both story lines kept me engaged and I liked trying figure out who the "good guy" was.
Thanks to Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke, Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book!
Dnf, this is just messy and made no sense. I found all the characters un-relatable and so stereotypical. I just couldn’t finish it.
A special thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In this intense thriller, Lila Bennett is an attorney with an insatiable hunger for success. To get to where she is, Lila has made many bad choices, and one of those choices has literally split her life in two.

In one life, after celebratory drinks, she's taken captive by a masked man who seemingly knows a lot about her. Lila is trapped in a concrete cell with her feet and hands bound. She is forced to face her unsavoury actions or be killed.

Although she manages to evade being captured in her alternate life, she is still hunted by someone who is exposing her secrets one at a time. As result, her happiness is slowly being chipped away.

You see, in both of these scenarios, everything is on the line—her marriage, her career, and her life. Lila must make a list of those in her past that she's wronged to determine who is responsible, before it's too late. And even if she can figure out who is behind what is happening to her, will she even survive? Which Lila Bennett will emerge? Because one thing is for certain, life as she knew it is over.

Inspired by the movie Sliding Doors, Liz and Lisa have ratcheted up the suspense in their newest novel. The story starts out as linear, but when Lila literally muses that her life "could split in two," and that the choices laid at her feet would lead her on completely different paths, the narrative actually splits into two. From here, Fenton & Steinke alternate between the two scenarios at the same point in time (each chapter is title "Captured" and "Free"). Readers are not only treated to some pretty incredible writing, but are tasked to figure out who is responsible.

Lila is a complex, layered character and the perfect unreliable narrator. She's whip-smart, but her intelligence and success are part of her downfall. Also, her conscious is questionable—she gets people off for murder—yet for someone who is so bold and brazen, she actually fosters insecurities about her persona.

What is remarkable, besides the writing, is that it totally makes you start to question some of the decisions you have made in your own life, and that there are several possibilities in every scenario. Both endings are outstanding and overall this book is so clever! This ambitious narrative style could have easily gotten away from them, but it figuratively knocked my socks off.
Authors Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke offer readers an exploration of the consequences of one's actions.  I thought the premise of The Two Lila Bennett's was strong, and for the most part the story supported that thought.  Lila was not a very likable character, but the authors managed to make me care about her nonetheless, which was a feat in and of itself.   Lila's strongest character trait is that she makes bad choices.  She finally makes a choice that splits her life in two.  If you're expecting It's a Wonderful Life, you're on the wrong track.  I'd liken this novel to The Russian Doll Netflix Series.  I really appreciated that I was not able to tell which writer was contributing at any particular time.  The Two Lila Bennetts was entertaining, compelling and I would read more from the authors.  3.5
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
This book ended up only being okay for me. It was well written and had a really unique format but I couldn’t connect with Lila and that made it less enjoyable for me. The story is told in alternating chapters between parallel universes and I thought that idea and format was cool. The idea is that one action has far reaching consequences and this book offers a look at both paths. While I loved that idea I just really wish the main character had been more likable.
I’ve actually read several books now by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke and have loved them so I was quite looking forward to The Two Lila Bennetts. Immediately it becomes clear this writing team was trying to expand into something completely different with this story giving readers a split in what could be happening to the main character with one version of her captured and an alternate being free.

Lila Bennett is a successful criminal defense attorney who comes to a point in her life where all of her actions and decisions have led to two possible consequences. In one scenario Lila has been taken hostage by someone who seems to know a lot but she can’ t recognize. Then in her other reality Lila is still free but needs to come up with who in her career or home life could be after her.

Jumping into this story I could still see the strong writing style of the authors that I’ve come to expect. For me however I was a little iffy starting out if I really liked the ” free” and “captured” split in the book, definitely a unique way to go about writing a book so it took a bit of getting used to. That being said though despite the slower start due to the style I still enjoyed this one overall giving it 3.5 stars.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.