The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 6 Aug 2019

The dual plot lines worked very well for this book. I went into this book without reading the synopsis and I think the less you know beforehand the better with this book. I read a lot of psychological thrillers, but this one is a bit different. It is well executed.
The premise of this book sounds phenomenal, but it fell really flat for me.  It was a struggle for me to keep reading.  I hate feeling forced to finish books.  The two paths were so similar to each other that dividing them up felt really unnecessary.  The ending didn’t justify the struggle to get there.

This wasn’t the worst book I’ve read, but it didn’t feel like anything special.  I’m disappointed, because I’ve seen such rave reviews for it.  I won’t be posting a review on my blog, but I may do a spotlight post for the book on my Instagram.
Thank you netgalley and publisher for the early cop6!

I did not connect with the plot/writing style and decided to put it down.
The concept of two storylines, like the movie Sliding Doors, is very well known and used fairly often in literature. I enjoyed the overall storyline about Lila Bennett and her morally wrong choices with their potential outcomes. I had figured out the person who captured her fairly quickly which kind of ruined the ending for me because it didn't surprise me at all. Overall, a good story and enjoyable, but I would not read it again.

**Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for the book in exchange for an honest review.**
I love Lisa and Liz writing,

I enjoyed the dual narrative of this book, and all the possibilities, it had me guessing "who did it?" And I was very wrong til the end, so that part was good since it was not what I was expecting.
"We are all a sum of our choices, each one unique leading us down different paths, each with its own outcome."

The Two Lila Bennetts is a fast paced tale that is easy to binge read into the wee hours of the night.  If you like suspense and drama, this book could be a winner for you.  If you need something deeper, this may be a good one to pass by on your way to something better.

The story swaps from two different viewpoints as alternating chapters, from the same person but her alter egos.  This is "good Lila" vs "bad Lila".  Lila is a defense attorney and often has to work in the gray area.  She's not the greatest person and has spent a long time making poor choices - from being an awful friend and wife to the choices she makes in her job as attorney.  These choices finally catch up to her.  When she disappears, it's anyones guess as to what happened.

It's easy to pick out who did it, but it doesn't stop this from being an entertaining book.  The book alternates between the Lila that made good choices and had a certain outcome, and the bad Lila that gets kidnapped.  Kind of like those choose your own adventure books gone awry.  This is a quick, summer read that you could enjoy but it won't stick with you long.
This was a slow story! It didn’t have much action until the end. It kept my attention enough to make me want to know how it ended. I rate this book at 2.8.
With one choice Lila Bennett's life is split into two. From there you see the consequences in alternating chapters. In one life she's a hostage and in the other she is not a hostage, but someone is threatening to expose her secrets.  This is a book full of suspense.  It is a really well written and cohesive book though with two authors.  I am always curious how that dynamic works in writing a book, but these two definitely pulled it off.
The Two Lila Bennetts is ripe for discussion for any book club! With alternating chapters, each following the life if Lila Bennett, a lawyer in Los Angeles who's decisions in her past now have significant impact on how her life is unfolding in present day, the two Lila Bennetts are living the consequences of her various decisions. Thank you NetGalley for my copy.
Wow! What a thrilling read.. I have never read a book like this with a dual story line. It kept me guessing until the very end. I really enjoyed the descriptive and detailed writing style. Lila Bennett is a flawed and complicated protagonist which gave the story extra dimension and depth. All around, a unique and captivating read!
What a unique and thoroughly entertaining story concept! I loved trying to wrap my mind around this book. Great read for thriller lovers!
This book kept me on my toes and really made me think. How could both the captured and free Lila be the same? Great book, I really enjoyed the concept of of this book and it was very uniquely written.
#review
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I don’t even know how I feel...it was really good! The Two Lila Bennetts starts out one way and then you see Lila’s life play out in two different scenarios so unique and different. The endings were unexpected and also left me questioning! I went in pretty blind and I think that’s the way to go. Another book down for #netgalleynovember 🎉 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This quote sums up the premise pretty well! “Maybe all we are is the sum of our choices, each one leading us down a different path, each with its own unique income.” Have you read it yet??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke.

Lila Bennett is a take-no-prisoners defense lawyer with a great record.  Known to get heinous offenders off has made her very popular with some, and wildly unpopular with many, but it doesn't matter much to Lila so long as she can maintain her lifestyle, along with her secrets.  So while it's not surprising, it is frightening when Lila's decisions start to catch up with her.

On a fateful day that Lila has a choice to make, the timeline is split with Lila choosing to go different directions.  Through these two different timelines we will discover who was loyal to Lila, and who was not, and will she change her ways?

First off, I don't read many books that are clearly written by two people.  I would love to know more about that.  Did they each take a different timeline?

This was fun enough, a good read on a cold dreary day.  As far as thrillers/suspense novels go, it was fine.  The characters weren't consistent and Lila herself seemed a bit dim for such a successful lawyer.  Also, I had the ending predicted way earlier than I probably should have.
A great thriller with twists that keep you guessing until the very end.  If you like thrilling stories, this is one you must read.
I loved the suspense in this novel! It’s definitely a nail biter that had me flipping the pages like a madwoman! The amazing writing duo did it again with another fantastic read!
I'm a huge fan of Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke. i was so excited for this book, and the novel didn't disappoint. Well written, fast paced, and full of twists, turns and suspense.  The story really gets you thinking, what if!
Another successful novel! Lisa and Liz have an absolute gift! As much as they tried to compare this to a movie I’d seen, they didn’t give themselves enough credit. There were two options, execute the idea poorly or nail it- They absolutely nailed it!!!!
Captivating, suspenseful, entertaining novel! This beautiful thriller kept me on the edge of my seat while I was reading it! Would highly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.