Cover Image: David Mogo, Godhunter

David Mogo, Godhunter

Extremely fun and engaging. It kept me up late a couple of nights because I wanted to find out what would happen next.
The writing style mixes English and Nigerian, which could make it more difficult for non-native speakers of English, but also gave the story a well-suited flair.
The narrative was quite choppy, there were significant time jumps. I found this distracting at worst and mildly inconvenient at best. This is also the reason I won't be giving the full five stars.
4/5 stars! What a fantastic book! I found every word enjoyable. Give me a story with gods from any mythos, and I will love it!
This starts off very interesting but the writing style didn't really work fo rme. I think a shorter version of this story would have been better.
This was a nice change of pace from common Fantasy reads, both for the storyline and the setting, so if Fantasy is your go to then I suggest picking this up for a bit of a change of scenery as it were.
I enjoyed the story, which was fun and engaging, although initially a little bit confusing purely because the story starts very quickly, that being said this isn’t precisely a bad thing and the confusion doesn’t last long. It’s almost like being surprised for a short while because you’re suddenly in the story rather than being eased into it. You’re just THERE. As I say, not a bad thing at all just not what I was used to.
The scenery is wonderful and I had guessed before reading up on the Author that this is the place they had at the very least been to, and probably more than once with a keen love of it. The descriptions really are gorgeous, and left me feeling both as if I had already been there and leaving me wanting to go ASAP.
The story is very unique, and I loved getting to know the new world and Characters, although it feels like this could be part of a series? Of course, that could just be because I enjoyed it and want to read more!
The writing style is quite individual, but engaging from start to very end. I personally enjoy a book more when there is something different about the Authors ‘voice’, something that makes them unique.
I’m also a sucker for Gods and Mythology. It’s a thing, I’ve always loved reading about them and seeing how people put their own spin on the very traditional stories is something I really enjoy diving into. This was certainly everything I love in one book, Characters that are far from perfect, lots of moment to make me snigger for one reason or another, action and twists and turns.
This is well worth adding to your TBR and giving a go! Having read many of the previous reviews, all I can assume is that those not liking the style/story would general stick within the same general ‘type’ of story, but if you like something that will stand out and be a bit different, you will LOVE this!
I enjoyed this book as a whole. I found the characters believable and humorous. It was completely different from anything else I had read, and though it took me a while to get my head around some of the dialect, the worldbuilding and mythology the author weaves made up for it,.

I loved the idea of Gods in an almost modern world, with a half human/half orisha Godhunter, we see David grow as a character and as he takes on more and more powerful Gods he realises the potential of his power.

My one issue with the book is I felt it could have ended at multiple points. I flew through it at first and thought oh its ending, that was quick but a look down made me realise I was only 30% of the way through. I did enjoy the book overall and loved the chance to delve into the mythology of a different culture. 3.5*
David Mogo, Godhunter is unique, fun read with really good character development and excellent writing.

I loved seeing the new cultures and mythologies I'm not that much familiar with. I also really liked the fast-paced scenes and that the book jumped right into the action. Also, the use of different languages was amazing.

I am glad I got to read this book, I feel like it gave something new to me.
I didn't even finish it, it didn't capture my full attention from the start -- well actually the first few pages did, but once I found the narrator too childlike, I put the book down and never picked it up again. Maybe the plot from what I had read on the back-cover wasn't intriguing enough? Not sure, didn't bother to look further into it having other stuff to read. The cover is amazing and is what attracted me to the novel in the first place. I thank you for the opportunity!
DNF at 21%
I could'nt connect with any of the characters, let alone the MC. I was mostly confused and lost half the time, and because of that i got bored. Things happened, but i felt it happened too fast and the characters didn't have time to grow on me.

The synopsis and the idea was very good! I just got lost and confused, alot.
David Mogo is a Godhunter - a man hired to hunt down godlings from the afflicted Lagos and make the haunted places less hostile to humans. Except, Mogo himself is not fully human, but the son of a goddess, raised by a wizard. And, as events escalate, the fight to protect humans from horror will ask of David Mogo to move beyond his humanity, into his full divinity. The price he will have to pay, whether he succeeds or doesn’t, will be a heavy one either way.
Mogo, telling his story in the first person, shares his weaknesses with the reader, while describing a derelict, fabulous, apocalyptic environment plagued by the embodiment of the gods of Nigerian folklore. His narrative of life in Lagos is flawed, dismal, yet poignantly yearning for the simplicity of human interaction. His hero’s journey is clear, asking us what we would do in his stead.

Who would enjoy this
This is clearly an adventure story, reminiscent of tales such as Star Wars or The Hunger Games, though not a teen read. It is fast paced, and aggressive, asking for readers with very visual imaginations, able to ‘sense’ the descriptions the narrator shares. It is also quite bloodthirsty, clean in its warrior quest, irrespective of gender. This is purely a read for entertainment purposes, which would give an added bonus to readers interested in other cultures. And if they enjoy doing information searches, and guessing at vernaculars of barely-there English, the more the fun!

Who should give this a pass
This is not for readers who wish for a love story, or an exaltation of love and peace. Also, this is not a window into Nigerian life, despite its setting and use of cultural and linguistic markers. Thus, I would not recommend it to those looking for a book that would ease them into African literature. On the other hand, it would not fit readers who are hoping to be able to follow the story without understanding said markers. Okungbowa seems to expect the reader to be, or become, aware of those elements, therefore it might not be everyone’s definition of an easy blockbuster read.

Conclusions
David Mogo, Godhunter, is an entertaining book. It is particularly interesting in its weaving of authentic Nigerian cultures into the fantasy of Lagos after the Falling. I found it very revealing, in itself, how it counter-mirrors the concept of the Rapture, by presenting the complete opposite scenario: what if the gods of pagan cultures had been expelled and dumped on our planet, rather than have humans lifted from this planet into a divine after-world? More than that, what makes one event more probable than the other?
Okungbowa builds his tale heavily on both the hero’s journey, and the fast pace of an action thriller, yet retaining enough of his own Lagosian roots to be different. However, the work is not a pretentious tale, despite its careful structure and underlying moral; instead, it is clearly a project aimed at international audiences, both enjoyable and an object of wonder (how much more extreme this could be, if allowed to go full ‘Nollywood’). I enjoyed it quite a lot, the pace making sure I was able to go through it swiftly, the better to be swept into its action.
2.5 Stars

This book had so much potential. Gods have fallen in Lagos and everything has gone to shits. David Mogo, demi-god, is a godhunter. Woven with Nigerian mythology and legends, we see various gods and battles take place. And David finds trying to get Lagos back to normal isn't easy.
The mythology behind the book is what really makes it stand out -the various gods, pantheons, and tales that come along with them. Imagine Rick Riordan but Nigerian tales. There's the same humour and electricity that flows within this book.

However, there's a lot of telling and explaining. Instead of being guided and shown through scenes, we are told in a quick and snappy manner. Anything that needs to be revealed is told through David's monologue. Had this been otherwise, my rating would have been much higher. With this, there was also a lack of foreshadowing that leads to the plot twists and reveals. Rather than planting seeds and eggs throughout the novel, we are just told when it comes to the time.

My other issue relies on the fact that David gets knocked out a lot. It seems as soon as battles, or a scene starts to become interesting he gets knocked out. In the end, every other chapter feels as if it's ending with him passed out in one form or another. Especially the bigger battles, the ones where it's life or death, it feels like he just passes out and then we're told what we actually missed.
This book was really difficult to read for me. English is my second language and I had to read really slowly or google search for me to get some of the phrases. BUT, the story was so interesting that I'm not mad about it!
Of course, I didn't know anything about the culture and the deities in this book, and it was really fun to learn about them in this setting. This is a self discovery story all around a demi god and set in Nigeria, yes please!
Unfortunately, I think the writing style was not for me and all the problems I had with understanding really affected my overall enjoyment of this.

Characters 9
Atmosphere 6
Writing style 5
Plot 8
Intrigue 7
Logic 6
Enjoyment 6
DNF at about 35%
Nigeria, post-apocalyptic, fallen gods, and a half-god main character being shaken out of merely surviving and into heroics by the appearance of an evil wizard in the slums.
It sounded so good! I like the scenery a lot, it's very nice to be somewhere other than "medieval England" for a change. The worldbuilding was original and interesting. I wanted to know a lot more about how this world, what the rest of the city was like, how the rest of the world was reacting, how society was dealing with all of this "gods" stuff. I wanted to know so much more than I was given, but not really in a good way. It felt a little like being caged up in a small area and wanting to get out and explore.
Unfortunately, the main character fell really flat for me. Actually, all of the characters did. I couldn't relate to him, and I wasn't able to care about the place or the people he was trying to protect. There was no connection between the reader and the characters. The dialect was very difficult to parse sometimes (although it wasn't too hard to guess from context), and the plot felt... undirected. There was no impetuous. I needed to Care about the people he was trying to save, to have more personal details about their lives to relate with, to appreciate this decimated part of Nigeria as somewhere worth saving. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of that and as a result, I just don't care enough to find out what happens to them. Papa Udi came close to making me care, but he's not enough to carry the Whole story, especially since it's always jumping around. I think the whole "3 novellas" structure confused me. It was perplexing to have climax scenes occurring so early in the book.
David Mogo, Godhunter is many things. It’s an in-depth look at African gods and the rich mythology surrounding them. It’s an expose of a future where class structures have warped further to force poverty on any who aren’t incredibly wealthy. Above all, it’s a unique character piece centered on a demi-god whose job brings him in contact with all manner of fascinating beings.

The narrative and language choices were most interesting. Instead of straightforward storytelling, Okungbowa weaves a crooked path between spotlights on the somewhat dystopian society, the practice of otherwordly magic, the constant goings-on of the many roaming gods and godlings, and the typical day-in-the-life activities of David and those around him. It makes for a wonderfully complex reading experience that stands alone as a unique creation. Dialects shift unexpectedly, giving you further insight into the culture we’ve been immersed in. This feels like a realistic experience, lending further awe to the mythology-laden narrative.

Overall, David Mogo, Godhunter is an undeniably unique reading experience. Between the always running main character, the incredible mythology, and the smart conversation on this multi-faceted society of the future, you’ll discover a world in which every corner holds something waiting to be unearthed.
This isn’t an easy read full of familiar places, soft language, and common tropes. But rather, it’s diverse, challenging, and wholly fantastic. The dialect takes some time to adjust to, especially as a North American reader, but if you give it some time and put some effort into paying attention it quickly becomes second nature. The premise is unique, with a set of gods that have been cats out of their own world and since taken over Lagos, along with a whole hoard of godlings and taboos. The desolation and reorganization of society gave a very different feel to the standard post-apocalyptic narrative and injected a healthy dose of culture.

That’s not to say that there isn’t any magic, because it’s present in wild abundance. The wizards and gods are both exceptionally well written with unique and distinctive qualities. I appreciated the differences between the two types of abilities with the magic of the wizards being tied to real and tangible things while the power of the gods were entirely intangible and otherworldly. All of the gods powers and personalities were deeply varied, creating landscape that is both exciting and difficult to navigate.

There are some uncomfortable moments, especially when it comes to Fati and the implied acts against her. But as uncomfortable as these moments were, I am glad that they were included as this is not the kind of books that skates around the darker side of life – especially when the societal structure favours a few with power and the masses subservient and impoverished. Now add in an ambivalent government that only cares about the upper echelons and would prefer to live in denial of reality and you have a pretty wicked storm.

I didn’t mind that the whole of the work is actually three novellas packaged together as a single unit. Each instalment had a clearly defined arc, villain, and objective and played extremely well off of the previous sections. They helped to clearly delineate the evolution of David’s development as both a character and powerful demigod. Plus, they facilitated some pretty serious jumps in time without injecting any tedious and extraneous text for plot advancement. My only really complaint is that the dispersal of the world building information throughout at times took on the feeling of massive info dumps. And while this may work better in a. novella setting where you need to pack a whole lot of information in a tiny space, but with the novel format I felt that there was more latitude to spread the spread the information out for a smoother presentation. But, and this is a big but, I am aware that my storytelling preferences are defined by the traditions that I have been brought up in and aware that this criticism might be based entirely on personal preferences and cultural constructs.

David himself is a complex and interesting character. He lives between two worlds in more ways than one – half god and half human he constantly walks a fine line between humanity and hypocrisy in his god hunting. He is also further divided between mainstream culture and the world of wizardry having been raised by Papa Udi, and again by the sleeping and waking worlds as he shifts between planes. These divisions are further emphasized by David’s constant code switching between the normalized western speech that he uses for business and the local dialect that he uses in the comfort of home. Don’t get me wrong, we all do this to some degree, utilizing different speech patterns at home than we do at work, it’s just much more evident in David and Papa Udi’s speech.

Finally, I enjoyed the variety present in the supporting characters. I loved Papa Udi’s unwavering support and complicated past, the complexity if the High Gods personalities and powers, and the depravity of the villains throughout. I would have loved to see some of these supporting characters developed a little more, but that’s just because they were so interesting! If Okungbowa were to put out a collection of short stories or novellas focusing on everyone else I’d be chomping at the bit to read it.

All together I really enjoyed David Mogo: Godhunter. It was a welcome introduction into the world of god punk and Nigerian urban fantasy as well as being a fabulous own voices read.It’s complex, imaginative, and full of action. If you want tottery something that’s both fantastical and far from the typical westernized conventions, this book is sure to please. Give the code switching and dialogue a chance to settle in and Okungbowa will take you on a fantastical ride.
Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

David Mogo, Godhunter is set in Lagos, Nigeria, and is an African-inspired story about a half God who's occupation is being a Godhunter. In this book, Gods and higher deities have fallen to earth after a heavenly war. David Mogo, our protagonist, spends his days hunting down fallen deities and capturing them for money. When a deal to catch two twin Gods lands in his lap, he knows he's going to be in trouble.

In the beginning of this book, I struggled with the voice of the book and the language. It was a lot more modern than I was expecting and it ruined the mythology-inspired story I was looking forward to. After getting used to the voice, I started enjoying myself a bit more, but there were still some issues. Mainly, the book had way too many unfamiliar words and names for me, it kept throwing me off balance. This also made me struggle to separate characters from one another, as I struggled remembering who was called what. I also found the ending of the book very anti-climatic to the rest of the story. It felt very rushed and I wish the final clash had begun a little earlier in the story, or had lasted a little longer.

My favorite parts of the book were for sure the mythology and lore behind the Gods and why they were on earth. I also loved the morally grey characters, even though I felt the attempt at making them grey fell a little flat. I always love delving into unfamiliar worlds with mythology from new parts of the world, and this was for sure a new experience! I loved the Gods and how they interacted with the ordinary people in the book. I also loved Papa Udi, even though I sometimes struggled to understand what on earth he was saying.

In summary: this book was a fun experience. There were some amazing aspects and some not-so-good aspects. A solid 3-star book. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to read stories based on African/Nigerian mythology or lore!
I started reading this book with good intentions of finishing it in a timely manner but unfortunately that didn’t happen.   The book is well written but I found it a little hard to follow.   The main character has a goal but he also seems to have other roles he has to be in his life.   I have half completed the book and have found that it does not really interest me enough to finish it.  It’s different than the normal books I read and I cannot seem to make myself want to go back to finish it.   As I stated, it is a well written book but just not the kind of book I enjoy reading.
So I'm super late in reviewing this and I'm really sorry to both the book and myself because this book was spectacular! Honestly it was so much fun even though there was a serious learning curve (I had no idea what was going on for the entire first story) The writing itself was great but many of the characters spoke in (I'm guessing) a dialect of Nigerian English which made it difficult to understand what they were saying. I'm sure it would be lovely for people from Nigeria who speak this dialect and I don't doubt it is 100% authentic but I found it difficult to read :/
Something which I wish I knew going in was that the story is made up of 3 parts (or 3 short stories) which are interconnected and are in chronological order. While I didn't have an issue with the story being in this form I wish I knew it before hand because when we were reaching the climax of the first story I was so confused because I was only 30% into the story lol.
All three stories were very entertaining and action pact and were tightly plotted and paced well. I almost wish it was longer and more slowly paced at times because I had a lot of difficultly understanding the magic and world building. It might just be me but I felt a lot was thrown at me at once.

I absolutely loved the mythology and how the Orisha and the Yoruba religion was integrated into the story and how all the Orisha were described and explained. It might be a bit confusing if you know nothing about Orisha (and a lot of them have similar sounding names) the authors takes time to explain the various gods' appearances, powers and attributes.

I kept going back and forth between giving this 4 stars and 5 stars while reading this but then Eshu showed up so I'm giving it 5 stars because Eshu is perfection in this story.
David Mogo is a good hunter. He is quite well placed to do this job and he has an advantage as he is a demigod. Set in Lagos, Nigeria, this story is one of the gods, demigods and wizards. The area is embroiled in a battle after the gods fell to earth and try to carve out their own home, pushing people out or taking them over.

David himself is quite a complex character, well you would be if you were a demigod surely! Trying to work out who he is and finding a place to fit in. He would rather be human than part god. In some ways this story is like a two-sided one, yes there are the battles, confrontation, and power struggles but there is also David’s story. Finding where he belongs and who he is and it runs alongside the gods taking over story well.

I did find this book challenging at times for a couple of reasons. There are quite a dark and disturbing section set around a character called Fati. The conversational language took me a little getting used to, though it is not used all the time in conversations. But that being said it sort of adds something to the story.

This is a book that is quite fast-paced and has a reasonable sized cast. I have to admit Papa Udi was by far my favourite, even though it was his speech that caused me to scratch my head working out what he was saying!

The setting has not been glamorised at all, the author paints quite a picture of the more destitute people in his story. Now I don’t have much knowledge of Nigeria, or it’s culture, traditions or religion. What I did find with this story was that these things came through very nicely through the story. This led me on an interesting internet search of the various Nigerian deities mentioned.

This book is one of those that will divide readers, but for me, it was a chance to read a book about a different culture to my own. A chance to broaden my reading horizons and discover a new to me author.

It is a book I would recommend.
Not a big fan of this one, even though I really thought I was going to enjoy all the Nigerian folklore, myths and legends. I actually couldn't finish it for some reason. Somewhere I got lost and I just didn't want to go back on track. I am sorry though. It has much potential
Overall
This is like three books in one. I think this could have been so much more and such an epic tale if they were split into three books and each laster 300-400ish pages. But at the same time, these three parts fit nicely into just under 400pages all together and forms a well-rounded, fun and entertaining story filled with magic.

The story
I liked the story. I did not expect there to be three different books in one though. They are all continuous stories all following David Mogo and his life and problems escalate, and are treated more like parts. However, each part is a year apart which is why I feel they would have been better as separate books.

The story in itself is good and rich and inviting.

The world-building
I felt the pace and steepness of the world-building were good. It was not too steep and not too info-dumping but at the same time, you get a lot of information which helps you understand this new world. The information was also drip-feed to the reader throughout the story.

There is a lot of cultural pieces in this book. It was fun to see the Orisha gods come to life and have issues with each other. There were also Nigerian food, clothing, tools/weapons included which added to the cultural background on the story and its setting.

The magic/science
There are gods here and demigods, and with that comes power. There are also wizards, humans who wield their own god essence into spells and charms and potions. A lot is going on.

The characters
The story is narrated by David Mogo as the title of the book suggest. He is a demigod and eats only three times a week, and hunts godlings for money. He doesn't want trouble but trouble seems to find him. He has a real moral compass and tries to fight for what is right without hurting the innocent.

Papa Udi is a wizard and he raised David. He also helps out on David's jobs with potions and wards and other spell stuff. He is a father figure and a teacher for David who was orphaned as a newborn baby. The way his dialogue is written in the text was very difficult for me to understand, but I caught the gist.

The writing
Some of the dialogue is written in a local dialect which can be confusing or it can be giving the story that little bit extra.

There is a lot of telling, but it's written in 1st person so it doesn't feel as much of telling me and forcing me to believe it as if it was written in 3rd person. A wise choice in choosing the type of narrative and voice for the writing style.

The author also talks straight with the reader, something which I'm not overly a fan off but thankfully there isn't that much of it.