Cover Image: The Doctor

The Doctor

I actually don't really know how to review this one. One thing I hate in books or TV is an unbelievable story line. Unless I know that is what I am going to read/watch. This story centres on a doctor who's wife and daughter has a genetic illness. Dr Burman is a doctor and he is determined to do his own trial of being frozen until there is a cure. This in itself is unbelievable. Then it was all about him killing pets and stealing elderly patients to achieve the knowledge he needs. Interestingly I listened to this as an audiobook and it made it more realistic in an odd way. I wonder if that is why I still enjoyed it despite it being a story I don't normally like. There is a little twist at the end.
This was a good, interesting and gripping read, although it was somewhat tedious in its delivery.  The story was enjoyable, the characters were somewhat likable but the story had some plot homes that were too big to forgive.
Thanks to NetGalley for a chance to read this novel by Lisa Stone. I got to the end and I did find it enjoyable but a bit long winded. I would recommend this novel but not too highly up my list of all time greats.
At last after a run of a few mission to read books. This one really did have me from the first page. Lives up to its reviews you will want to keep reading. Gripping storyline. A true page turner. Had me reading it at all hours. Really good.
Ok this was a really great unputdownable psychological thriller.  The plot was good and I found it to be quite a chilling book.   Very interesting.  Highly recommend.
Well written and a fascinating subject I could not put this book down, it was immensely creepy and disturbing! The storyline was so intriguing and it was a fast paced and easy read. Cryonic preservation is real, and is a big part of the subject matter in this story which makes it additionally fascinating.
I did not hate it nor did I love it. It is a strange book with a unique story. I struggled to connect with the characters, none of them had much going for them and the story was far fetched and hard to believe. Certain actions seemed far too easy and in reality could not happen that way. In saying that though it was a quick read and different .

Emily and Ben live next door to Dr Burman and his wife Alisha. Emily is on maternity leave and tries to make friends with Alisha but she is very guarded and doesn't leave the house a lot. She seems afraid of everything. Behind closed doors the Doctor is abusive and controlling, not allowing his wife to have any sort of a life. She has a chronic illness and he is experimenting in his shed with cryonics, freezing bodies to come back when medical advances have the cure. He is not a nice person at all, having no limits to how far he will go for his research.
One of the most original psychological thrillers of the year!! Very interesting and entertaining concept of medicine and the search for the cure of a disease and the eternal life (the physical life, not the spiritual one). It kept the pages turning. Truly recommended!
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
This was an interesting premise.  I really liked Emily as a character.  Wish we had more Ben in the beginning.  The writing was okay.  It felt a bit too long.
I really struggled to get into The Doctor. I persevered but gave up in the end. This book was not for me.
Really enjoy this a lot more than I thought I would.  Enjoyable characters and a few great twists.  Looking forward to reading more!
This is the type of story that even though you can guess where the plot is leading, it’s still a fun and compelling ride.

Numerous time I was hoping for both Emily’s husband Ben and the police to be able to make the connection and try to discover the true nature of her disappearance.
I normally love psychological thrillers that keep me in suspense but this book felt like a drag and the storyline was almost laughable from start to finish. I didn't feel any connection with, or emotions for, the characters.
Well I had every emotion going with this one! The Dr is a fantastic book, you know something ain’t right but you just can’t say what....I was so frustrated in parts with the way things were it drove me mad, but I loved it and was actually gutted when I’d finished the book

Superb thriller a must read
Really enjoyable read. Good characters and a Good story. Well worth a read. Think others will enjoy.
This book was strange...in a good way. I was confused, frustrated, angry, sad, terrified, all at once. Intense and captivating. I’m speechless after this one.
Wowsers. What a cracking read. You know something is astray as soon as you meet the doctor but can’t quite put your finger on it. But once you’ve met his it’s compulsive reading. A 24 hour read that’s a page turner.
This book was definitely the type of thriller I enjoy. Weird, unreliable main characters, a small cast of characters set in an isolated place, and multiple points of view.

The writing was fast paced and kept my interest the whole time. I didn't want to put this down because I needed to know what was happening next.

The biggest downside to this book was that the synopsis gave away way too much. And I know that's not necessarily the author's fault and you can only be so vague with a synopsis, but giving away a huge plot point made that twist less exciting as I knew it was coming.

The best thing about this book? The ending!! I DID NOT see that coming. I got chills when I read it. I had to read it five times to make sure it was real. I would recommend this book just for the ending.
The Doctor had me gripped from the first chapter. We meet anaesthetist Dr Burman and his wife Alisha. Immediately I got the sense that something wasn’t right with this couple. We also meet their neighbours Emily and Ben, happily married with a young son. As the story goes forward we get more of a sense of the characters and their relationships. Emily and Ben, seemingly a happy “normal” couple. And Dr Burman- a bit strange and very studious about learning what he considers to be his trade and how he can become a “credit to medical science”!! 🤤. Then Alisha Burman who is ill and doesn’t leave the house. Does her husband love and protect her so much that he does everything for her…… or not????
As each chapter got ingested into my bookish brain, I became more and more anxious for the females in this plot. Dr Burman may be considered a Dr Death or Dr Life…… depending on whose point of view you see it from.
This is the first book I have read by this Author, Lisa Stone. For a first book, it has made me want to read many more of her words of thrilling fiction.
I read this book fast and later at night than I should of. It was most definitely a case of ‘ just one more chapter’.
It was fantastic to read a thriller with a unique plot which totally had me engrossed from the first to the last page. I don’t know how true the medical facts are in the book, but for me involving cryonics in the plot was something different, exciting and thrilling.
As five star read for me and I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy a thriller with a difference.