Cover Image: The Doctor

The Doctor

Wowsers. What a cracking read. You know something is astray as soon as you meet the doctor but can’t quite put your finger on it. But once you’ve met his it’s compulsive reading. A 24 hour read that’s a page turner.
This book was definitely the type of thriller I enjoy. Weird, unreliable main characters, a small cast of characters set in an isolated place, and multiple points of view.

The writing was fast paced and kept my interest the whole time. I didn't want to put this down because I needed to know what was happening next.

The biggest downside to this book was that the synopsis gave away way too much. And I know that's not necessarily the author's fault and you can only be so vague with a synopsis, but giving away a huge plot point made that twist less exciting as I knew it was coming.

The best thing about this book? The ending!! I DID NOT see that coming. I got chills when I read it. I had to read it five times to make sure it was real. I would recommend this book just for the ending.
The Doctor had me gripped from the first chapter. We meet anaesthetist Dr Burman and his wife Alisha. Immediately I got the sense that something wasn’t right with this couple. We also meet their neighbours Emily and Ben, happily married with a young son. As the story goes forward we get more of a sense of the characters and their relationships. Emily and Ben, seemingly a happy “normal” couple. And Dr Burman- a bit strange and very studious about learning what he considers to be his trade and how he can become a “credit to medical science”!! 🤤. Then Alisha Burman who is ill and doesn’t leave the house. Does her husband love and protect her so much that he does everything for her…… or not????
As each chapter got ingested into my bookish brain, I became more and more anxious for the females in this plot. Dr Burman may be considered a Dr Death or Dr Life…… depending on whose point of view you see it from.
This is the first book I have read by this Author, Lisa Stone. For a first book, it has made me want to read many more of her words of thrilling fiction.
I read this book fast and later at night than I should of. It was most definitely a case of ‘ just one more chapter’.
It was fantastic to read a thriller with a unique plot which totally had me engrossed from the first to the last page. I don’t know how true the medical facts are in the book, but for me involving cryonics in the plot was something different, exciting and thrilling.
As five star read for me and I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy a thriller with a difference.
This was a suspenseful and gripping book, and every though it was a bit more gory and creepy than I would normally read, it was still a good read. Recommended.
While this books wasn't what I was expecting, it drew me in and kept me hooked. The story of a couple that moves in next door to the odd and reclusive doctor and his wife, this novel has twists and turns that you won't expect. The characters are well written and believable, sinister without being over the top, and add to the sense of dread and curiosity that permeates the book.

Thanks to the author, Avon Books UK via Netgalley for my ARC of this novel.
‘I was gripped immediately’ Katerina Diamond, Sunday Times bestseller

How much do you know about the couple next door?

When Emily and Ben move in next door to Dr Burman and his wife Alisha, they are keen to get to know their new neighbours. Outgoing and sociable, Emily tries to befriend the doctor’s wife, but Alisha is strangely subdued, barely leaving the house, and terrified of answering the phone.

When Emily goes missing a few weeks later, Ben is plunged into a panic. His wife has left him a note, but can she really have abandoned him for another man? Or has Emily’s curiosity about the couple next door led her straight into danger?

A gripping, sinister thriller with a twist you won’t see coming from the international bestseller Lisa Stone.
I received an advance digital copy of this book from the author, Avon Books and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

This book is an emotional rollercoaster of insane proportions. It takes you from empathy and anger to gut wrenching chills at the end.

5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.
The Doctor by Lisa Stone
Creepy doctor next door his wife ill with disease,  daughter noone knows about.... starts off creepy and goes from there. It draws you in slowly and keeps you asking if you really want to know your neighbors or are you better off minding your own business.  Thank you Netgalley and the Publishers for allowing me to read this and leave my opinion.
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

I feel like this is a mix of plots that I’ve come across before, mixed in with some weird shit. The doctors research is both believable and unbelievable. Kept my attention for a few hours but I wouldn’t recommend it to my friends
This tells the story of Dr. Burman and his sickly wife. He is determined to find a cure of her at any cost. He becomes convinced that preserving her body until a cure can be found is the best option, and there is a company called E.L.E.C.T that does the procedure. His next door neighbors try and befriend him and his wife, but he resists most interaction with them as he is completely focused on his "medical mission". Emily the neighbor finally makes contact with Dr. Burman's wife and they begin a secret friendship. Emily has no idea the type of evil that is going on in the Burman household, and will soon discover shocking secrets. I really enjoyed this book, the story kept me continually guessing, especially right near the end I was on the edge of my seat. Highly recommend!
Another great sinister read from Lisa Stone.

I’m sure most know her as Cathy Glass. It astounds me how she has switched to this genre and writes absolutely astounding astonishing stories that grip you.

This one is of no exception.

We’ve seen this phrase from publishers before right? “How well do you know your neighbours “. I’ve seen this used a lot trying to grab readers attention. This time it’s for real.

By the time I got towards the end the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end.

The author does such a great job.
The bit at the back which tells us about the facts and realisation and theories of this procedure makes for chills down my spine.

I loved how she breathed life into all her characters.

Then ending was chilling, really chilling.
A huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and Netgalley for providing the e-arc in exchange for a unbiased review of these works

one of the new type of neighbour/neighbourhood thrillers, this is one i would start stick with its a slow burn but i found the last few chapters and the pay off worth it
Honestly, this book confused me. I loved the plot, themes, and even most of the story. But the grammatical errors were terrible, the dialogue was odd in many parts (most coming from Amit), and the ending was weird. It's possible the dialgoue was stilted for a reason (to make Amit more unlikeable and evil), but it was almost unbearable to read.

I wanted to like this book because it is a very interesting premise, but I just can’t give it more than three stars because of the faults I found. I hope that the grammatical errors are corrected before this book is published so that readers are not subjected to them the way that I was with an ARC.
THE DOCTOR is a psychological thriller by Lisa Stone. This is the first book I have read by this author but it won’t be the last. This book kept me glued to the story to see what would happen next.

Emily and Ben bought a house next to Dr. Burman “the odd couple” referred to by Emily, as the Doctor spent a lot of late nights in the outbuilding. His wife, Alisha is sick and rarely leaves the house or sees visitors.

Emily and Ben have a newborn son, Robbie and Emily plans to stay home after her maturity leave ends to look after her son. Emily being very outgoing and sociable, tries to start a friendship with the doctor’s wife, but Alisha is too nervous and preoccupied to be a friend to Emily.

Then Emily’s cat, Tibs goes missing, and the doctor brings back the cat’s collar found in his yard to Emily. What is going on?

When Emily goes missing a few weeks later, Ben is plunged into a panic. His wife has left him a note, saying that she was leaving Ben and her son for another man? I don’t believe it!

Even though the reader can see how the story is being laid out, with so much evil lurking around the corner…you can’t put this book down. I had to see how it would end. The book ends on a cliff-hanger and not one I saw coming. I was glued right to the end.

Do you really know who your neighbors are?

Many thanks to the author, Avon Books UK via Netgalley for my digital copy. of this psychological thriller.
A young couple living next door to a Doctor and his wife with very strange things happening. For the first time in a long time I had to give up on a book. This wasn’t what I expected and was really far fetched I did not enjoy what I was reading. Did not feel it fair to give one star as I’m sure it would appeal to others but unfortunately not for me
Oh I love neighbourhood thrillers! Books about families and friends and odd things in the community.... And The Doctor was no different. This gripping thriller had me hooked immediately and I couldn’t put it down! I’m looking forward to reading more by Lisa Stone.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and I really enjoyed it. It wasnt what i expected and not my usual kind of story but it had be gripped from the start and chilled me to the core in place
 Amazing ending also. Fully recommended
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

As our society proceeds and science advances, we hear more and more about things like cryogenics.  So, as I read this book, I kept wondering how far from the truth this book might be. Dr Burman, an anaesthesiologist obsessed with cryogenic freezing, tries to convince his long suffering wife, to agree to being cryogenically frozen when she finally gives in to her disease, she will not consent and he then descends into madness and tries to create his own cryogenic chamber.  What Dr, Burman needs most as he tries to recreate the process is test subjects.  Meanwhile, Alisha, his wife, strikes up a hidden friendship with the woman next door, Emily, who is more and more curious about what Dr Burman is up to, will she find out before it is too late?

It was a creepy take, filled with madness and intrigue; but creepiest of all is the wondering of how far away this medical breakthrough could be.
What a thriller!! The Doctor was a fascinating "How well do you really know your neighbors?" but elevated with multi-faceted characters and a thought- provoking plot.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a great read. This was a real page turner. However, the best part is the last few chapters. I didn't see that coming. I highly recommend. Thank you NetGalley, Avon Book UK, and Lisa Stone for the ARC to review..