Cover Image: The Doctor

The Doctor

This book took me by surprise as it’s really not like any other book of this genre. It is very dark, creepy and is also fairly gruesome at points. The story will draw you in and keep you wondering how it’s going to end.
Overall, it’s a very good thriller that I’d recommend.
I loved this book from start to the amazing finish, I read it in two sittings.
Well written and the characters believable with a subject matter very different to the norm and I really liked that the author has worked hard with research and it shows.
Genuinely didn't see the twist coming and actually gasped out loud!!!
Loved it all !!!
This isn’t my usual type of book but it gripped me from the start!
Emily and Ben live happily with their toddler son - Em is in extended maternity leave and tries to make friends with the couple next door. The husband is very abrupt and his wife Alisha has a terminal illness and seems to shun Emily’s attempts at friendship.
Having heard strange noises and what sounds like a child next door, Emily knocks on the door and finds herself drawn into a very odd situation.
Meanwhile Alisha’s husband Amit is conducting research in his bottom of the garden lab -research into how to keep his wife preserved until a cure is found for her condition!
The situation takes a terrifying turn when Emily disappears having left Ben a note to say she’d met someone else, he doesn’t believe it and it’s only through his perseverance that the police believe there is more to the situation.
This is such a bizarre story but it’s brilliant  and I genuinely couldn’t put the book down until I’d finished it. The final twist was horrifying and amazing all in one go.
The Doctor by Lisa Stone was one of those books that I kept my nose buried in and even read while cooking dinner at night. That's one of the things that I love about reading on a kindle, compared to reading a 3D, "real," book. I like not having to hold the pages open. I've even lately been so engrossed that I read while drying my hair. Hey, I have a very long "to read," list.

This book gets 5 stars from me for a lot of reasons. It was so different from past thrillers and mysteries I've read and was mixed with futuristic topics. When a crazy doctor (no spoilers, promise) becomes obsessed with freezing his wife's body to preserve it, he'll stop at nothing. The book takes you to dark corners, closets, and hiding places that will leave you feeling desperate for someone to put all of the pieces together in time to save Alisha. It's pretty scary to think that scary situations like this can and probably do exist.

Thanks to @avon_books for the opportunity to get my hands on this one before the rest of the world and as always, thanks to @netgalley for arranging the introduction! Lisa Stone, I can't find you on instagram but, great job catching and describing details in such a way that I couldn't escape your pages!  #avonbooks #thedoctor #netgalley #scaryneighbors #lisastone #mustread #summerreading #bibliophile #bookguru #bookblog #blogabook #sendmebooks #readtolive #suspense #cryogenics #crazytrain @oakcitybooks #oakcitybooks

The above review was posted on my blog: oakcitybooks.blogspot.com and on my instagram @oakcitybooks.
The Doctor
A gripping crime thriller from the international bestseller

by Lisa Stone

Avon Books UK

Avon

General Fiction (Adult) , Mystery & Thrillers

Pub Date 24 Jun 2019

I am reviewing a copy of The Doctor through Avon Books UK and Netgalley:

How well can you really know the couple that lives next door to you?

When Emily and Ben move in next to Dr Birman and his wife Anita they are excited to get to know their neighbors. Emily who is both outgoing and sociable tries to befriend the doctors wife Anita but Anita is strangely quiet and hardly ever even leaves the house, she’s even terrified to answer her phone.

Why does Anita act so strangely? What secrets lay inside that marriage?

After Emily goes missing a few weeks later, Ben is sent into a panic! His wife left a note saying she was with another man, but the note seems off. Could Emily’s curiosity about the couple next door have plunged her into a dangerous situation, leading to her kidnapping or worse?

I found The Doctor to be well written and on the edge of your seat Suspense, therefore worthy of five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the authors books. It had an ending that I didn’t see coming at all, and interesting characters. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for review.

4/5
Emma and her husband ben move in next door to Dr. Burnam and his wife, she obviously wants to become friends, but they aren't as neighborly as she would have hoped. She has some suspicions about Dr. Burnham, but is there any truth in them?

The storyline in this thriller is one that I have never read before! That instantly gripped me, wanting to know more about the issues surrounding it. There were plenty of twists and turns, and even when I thought I had guessed the twist other things kept happening.

Will definitely be reading things by Lisa Stone again!
Emily and Ben have moved next door to Dr. Burman and his wife, Alisha.  Alisha never seems to leave the house .. she doesn't talk on the phone.  Her husband spends a lot of his time in a building out back that he keeps padlocked.  What's he hiding?

Their cat, Tibs, goes missing.  Dr. Burman brings to Emily the cat's collar ... supposedly he found it in his yard.

And then Emily goes missing ... leaving a note stating she was leaving Ben ..and their small son.. for another man.  Really?

There is so much more to this story than the few lines above.  There are secrets and lies and just plain evil involved.  This was a fast read for me ..  I just had to know what was coming next.  It definitely will make you wonder who your neighbors really are.

The reader learns early on exactly what is happening, but that only whets the appetite to discover what comes next.  It kept me gripped until the final unpredictable ending.

Many thanks to the author / Avon Books UK / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller.  Read and reviewed voluntarily. opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
The Doctor is a very different type of read and I think you will I either love it or hate it, I really enjoyed this thriller but it is a chilling thriller.
Emily and Ben and their young son move into their new home, life is good and they are very happy until Emily goes missing. Next door Dr Burman lives in a very secure house with lots of security cameras and a man cave that he is always in. Dr Burmans wife is ill so is never seen as she doesn’t go out anywhere. Emily is a friendly person so reaches out to the doctors wife but is curtly given the cold shoulder but that doesn’t mean she’ll give in, here the story starts twisting and turning and at parts is quite chilling.
The book I found to be a steady pace from start to finish, there were no parts where it didn’t shock me or send me down a different twist. The doctor was completely unlikeable but Emily and Ben more than made up for that.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
Oh my goodness, what can I say ! This book is gripping from the very first page with a creepy sinister theme running through, and it isn't until the very last paragraph that the ends get tied up. Don't take my word for it...................read it !! It is too good to miss
Neighborhoods and thrillers seem to be a trend here lately, not that I'm complaining. I'm actually devouring them every chance I get and this one was no disappointment. When I wasn't reading, I was thinking about reading.
This book kept me guessing nearly all the way through. I wasn't sure I was going to like it tat first, but then I reached a point where I couldn't put it down.
Lisa Stone has mastered the suspense in this story.
An interesting thriller that is quite dark in parts..
Emily is on maternity leave and wants to know more about her neighbours that keep themselves to themselves
Looking into cryonics it’s a little bit like a modern day Dr Frankenstein.
Not always a comfortable read.
Lots of twists and turns
This was a an edge of your seat, creepy fantastic omg what’s going to happen next kind of read.
When the new neighbours move in they bring keep themselves to themselves to a whole new level. The husband, a doctor of anesthesia is stand offish and cold. His wife is ill and housebound and afraid of her own shadow. Emily who lives next door makes repeated attempts to befriend at least the wife Alisha, but to no avail. And what is with all the extra security measures around their home? And outdoor shed in which the Dr. spends all his free time in?
Until one day, after thinking she hears a child cry next door and goes to investigate Emily soon learns that the couple has a child after all. A severely disabled one at that, hidden in the confines of one room with Alisha as the sole caregiver. After Emily helps Elisha with Elisha’s daughter Eva, she swears her secrecy that she will keep what she saw a secret. And a friendship between the two develops. But the Dr. wouldn’t like that so it is very much a secret friendship. It’s a secret with consequences that doesn’t bear thinking about. A great read!
Wow! Kept me gripped from start to end, was the first book I have read by Lisa and it surely won't be the last. Highly recommended if you love books that keep you on the edge of your seat
Pretty disturbing and some parts are hard to get through. Story is obviously very well researched but I felt at times reality was stretched a bit. This wasn’t for me, maybe just a bit darker than what I was in the mood for, I do appreciate the arc and would like to thank the publisher and netgalley for it in exchange for an honest review.
I loved the concept of this, but there should be a warning for those of us who cannot stand animal abuse. I almost gave it up because that is a deciding factor in whether or not I read a book. In fact, I had a really hard even getting through it at first. The abuse was never direct but it was implied and brought up often and there was the mention of the animals writhing in pain while their blood was drained. I understand why it was needed, to give more credit to Amit's studies, but still, I could have done without it. Had it been more pronounced, I would not have been able to finish this book, which would have been a shame because it was amazing.

Aside from the animal abuse, the only other thing that bothered me was the conversations. They almost all seemed so forced and unnatural. Especially those between Ben and Em. I felt like they were used to get a point across but not with ease.  That did throw me off from the story multiple times. Though they seemed more natural between Alisha and Em.

But, what kept me going was the premise of this story. I loved the idea of a madman wanting to play God and preserve life by taking it and bringing it back. The whole concept, minus the pets being used, was fascinating. It never occurred to me that something like this was really possible, but now I believe it is.

I loved the horror of it. The thrill of Amit abusing his power and being such an evil, callous person, while all in the name or advancing science and using his intelligence to better help the general population was fascinating. This is the kind of plot that will keep you thinking for a long time and surely, come back into memory every time you hear of a medical advance in preserving life!

This was well done and kept my attention throughout. I was seriously beginning to loose hope by the end. There wasn't much left to the book, but the hope I was holding out for was quickly ending! However, it did all end good in my eyes. Except for those last few lines. What?!?!?!?

Ugh.

I'm going to need someone to talk to about this and discuss this ending with. Why? Just why? Didn't she go through enough already? My mind is blown. Unless, it was all for Eva because it was always all for Eva. In that sense, I guess it makes sense. But still, Alisha, why?

Good job. I did truly like this one.
The Doctor by Lisa Stone is an ominous psychological/domestic thriller with a sinister doctor villain.  Medical factors well researched and incorporated into the plot seamlessly.  Very fast paced and entertaining if chilling read.  Ending was unexpected and thought provoking.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
If you like science fiction and thrillers, The Doctor is the book for you. It's definitely a fast read. 🌟🌟🌟🌟 from me. Thank you HarperCollins Publisher and Netgalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.
I decided to read “The Doctor” by  Lisa Stone because cryonics sort of fascinates me even if I do find the whole idea a bit creepy.  The neighbors on one side are a young outgoing couple, Emily and Ben. Emily is on extended maternity leave with their young son, Robbie. She would love to get to know her neighbors next door but the house has film on the windows, a state of the art CCTV system and all the blinds are usually drawn.  Dr. Amit Burman  lives there with his wife, Alisha, and they do not socialize with their neighbors at all. And to add to the mystery, Dr. Burman is a spooky character who spends most of his evenings in the shed at the bottom of his yard. However, nosy little Emily is on a mission to get to know Alisha. And she does...much to her misfortune and her
family’s distress.
This is not a bad mystery thriller although it’s a bit repetitious and at times does ask you to stretch your imagination.
A three star from me
Thanks to NetGalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review