A Single Source

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I had never read a book with a journalistic focus before, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. How Peter wove the characters together, the threads of their intertwined stories, and gave it a topical focus in the events of the Arab Spring made for fascinating reading.

His research is evident in the book, and his insights too.  There was also a spectrum of human life, from joy to tragedy, that added to the power of his narrative.

I will follow William Carver's future journeys, and highly recommend this book.
A Jigsaw, thats the first word comes to mind to describe this book
The book is really 3 separate stories that all link into one, The Arab Spring ( concentrated in Egypt ), The UK Govt and the very delicate line  between legal and illegal arms sales and the story of 2 brothers and their perilous journey from Eritrea to Italy via Sudan and Libya
ALL 3 are massive stories in themselves and although linked it takes a lot of the book for the link to appear and at times can be overwhelming to try and ‘get there’, this, I felt wasn’t helped with the chapters containing all 3 stories with sometimes not even a line break to differentiate them, also all 3 are character rich and so takes time to get to know who is who and a few times I was completely lost as to which character and plot I was reading.....HOWEVER the writing is worthwhile the work, there is ( I have found ) a certain style that ex journalist’s now authors use and it seems part fiction/part biography and rich in researched fact and detail, you feel the words you are reading have been experienced ( at least second hand ) and that for me adds a certain magic to the story
This book is descriptive to a fault and images ( good and not so ) floated through my mind from the start to the finish, I felt I was learning as well as reading a story
Fascinating but not a 2 min here and there read, it took a ‘buckling down’ and full concentration but it was worth it, very worth it and the effort paid off
 9/10 5 Stars
A Single Source is the second William Carver book by Peter Hanington but it’s the first one I’ve read. Set in 2011, there are three plotlines based in Egypt, London and Eritrea. It took me a while to get into the book with three different storylines but I’m glad I persisted.

My favourite of the three is the Egyptian thread. The Arab Spring is in full flow and has reached Egypt. William Carver is one step ahead of the rest of the news journalists and is already making local contacts through Zahra, the receptionist at his hotel. I don’t want to give too much away but Peter Hanington has managed to recreate the tension of the Arab Spring – excitement mixed with real danger along with the belief that things really could change.

In Eritrea, brothers Solomon and Gebre are encouraged by their grandfather, Gabriel, to leave and travel to Europe. He has insured their safe passage at huge financial cost. We don’t often hear about migrants and refugees until they’re near our coastline. At the time of writing this (mid-May), two dinghies were found off the coast of Kent with migrants, thankfully alive. But more migrants died last week in the Mediterranean. Through this storyline, we see the terrible predicament that people go through, risking everything for a better life.

Rob Mariscal, a former radio news editor, is now the Communications Director for the MoD. He’s good at spinning stories but he finds himself caught in a web of deceit. He’s tasked with taking down the person who’s threatening to expose a scandal that could rock the Government – William Carver.

To begin with, it’s hard to work out how these stories are going to mesh together but Hanington slowly does this, before picking up pace. A Single Source really packs some punches and is harrowing at times. Although this is fiction, Peter Hanington’s journalistic experience shines through and it feels all too real. This book may be set in 2011 but it’s still just as relevant today. Looking back, and I think the book hints at this, we have to ask the question, did the Arab Spring really achieve freedom? Or was it a perceived freedom which kept power in the same elite hands? I can’t think of another book (fact or fiction) that has made me think so much about today’s world. Bravo, Peter Hanington.
Journalist William Carver is in Egypt in 2011, in the middle of the Arab Spring. While this is a huge story, he is given details of a far bigger and more dangerous involving the trafficking of people across Africa and Europe.
Compelling reading.
Intelligent, unsparing novel based on the events in Egypt in 2011 and those who get caught up in the fallout from the Arab Spring, this is brutal and unflinching stuff. I hadn't read A Dying Breed but it transpired that this is a sequel of sorts, in that journalist William Carver and his producer, Patrick were in Hanington's debut outing and appear here too. It's political and bitter and honest and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys spy thrillers and great writing.
It's early 2011 and the Egyptian uprising is in full spate. Veteran BBC radio journalist William Carver is covering the story with his producer Patrick. Though a huge story, another more explosive one is brought to him by a young woman - a single source.

The story moves between Cairo, two brothers being smuggled out of Eritrea, and London, home of the Ministry of Defence and a major arms manufacturer.

The story is vividly told with authority born of the author's background as a BBC journalist. It is slow to start but picks up pace to become compelling reading.
Veteran BBC reporter William Carver is in Cairo, bang in the middle of the Arab Spring. 'The only story in the world' according to his editor. But it isn't.
There's another story, more significant and potentially more dangerous, and if no one else is willing to tell it, then Carver will - whatever the consequences.
A Single Source tells two stories, which over a few tumultuous months come together to prove inextricably linked. There are the dramatic, world-changing events as protests spread across North Africa and the Middle East, led by a new generation of tech-savvy youngsters challenging the corrupt old order. And then there are two Eritrean brothers, desperate enough to risk everything to make their way across the continent to a better life in Europe.
The world is watching, but its attention span is increasingly short. Carver knows the story is a complex one and, in the age of Facebook, Twitter and rolling news, difficult stories are getting harder to tell. If everyone is a reporter, then who do you believe?

I have to say this book was a complete departure from the types of books I've been reading recently.
A Single Source is set in 2011 in a time that came to be known as the Arab Spring.  Carver and his producer Patrick are in Cairo’s Tahrir Square to report on the January 25th uprising.  There are three strands to the story the one set in Egypt, another revolving around the foreign office and the third set in Eritrea.  Gradually these three strands are woven together..
A slow starter which I found very difficult to get into maybe because this is not my usual type of reading material.
This book is well written and descriptive and the author has done a lot of work and research.
Unfortunately just not my cup of tea but do recommend if political thrillers is what you like.

This book was a complete departure from the types of books I’ve been reading recently and it was exactly what I needed. I love books that contain elements of things I can relate to real life, and this book captures the fact that you can’t always trust what you read in the news perfectly. It really details all the goings on behind the scenes and all the parties at play trying to spin information to suit their own political agendas.

There are a lot of different characters in this book so you really need to pay attention. We follow two journalists in Egypt, a local woman they have hired to help with translation, two brothers are they try to smuggle their way to Italy, a communications employee working within a government department, and a few other characters around these ones. What is really clever though is how all these characters stories are intertwined and linked even though some of them never even meet.

This is a bit of a slow burner but it is brilliantly crafted and if you stick with it to the end I personally don’t think you will regret it. I really enjoyed this book and thought it was well researched and expertly plotted to deliver this finished book.
A brilliant novel incorporating the Egyptian uprising, media undercover operations, people smuggling and illicit exports. Novels can educate as well as entertain and this gripping story reflects what we hear about on the News programmes with the depth of its research backed detail. Highly recommended.
A slow starter which I found very difficult to get into. This book is well written and descriptive.

Not quite my cup of tea.
This story brings us bang into the Arab Spring of 2011, to the heart of events in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, where veteran BBC reporter William Carver and his young producer Patrick have been for some weeks, telling Egypt’s story to the world.  So far so good, but along the way William meets a couple of young Egyptian girls who become his inside contacts, innocent and full of hope, but who come across evidence that throws the British arms merchants into a hard light and, as a result, put their own lives and those of Carver and his friends in great danger … as well as making us, the readers, suspect there is a possible equivalent and awful truth in the real world outside of this novel.  Carver is determined to get to the bottom of this story, whatever the cost – and that cost proves to be very great indeed.

Alongside the intrigue of William and his friends, we meet two Eritrean boys lovingly sent by their father across the African continent towards Europe to find a better life, exposing the horrors of trafficking, what these refugees have to endure and how they are treated, and how they and their fellow passengers try to hang on to the best in themselves along the way.

The separate stories build up over the course of the novel and ultimately come together as the separate plots become one.

This is a fine thriller but also a moving story in which the author captures beautifully the sense of hope and liberation during the Arab spring but then the tragedy which ensues and the darkness of machinations going on at the highest level, and we the readers cannot help but wonder what really went on behind the scenes, in both Egypt and Britain and in the wider world.
A Single Source by Peter Hannington
I have not read A Dying Breed, the first book to feature veteran journalist William Carver, but having read A Single Source I will definitely make a point of so doing.  A Single Source is set in 2011 in a time that came to be known as the Arab Spring.  Carver and his producer Patrick are in Cairo’s Tahrir Square to report on the January 25th uprising.  There are three strands to the story the one set in Egypt, another revolving around the foreign office and the third set in Eritrea.  Gradually these three strands are woven together.
It is interesting the way in which the novel depicts the impact social media such as Facebook and Twitter have on the way stories are reported and Carver has contact with “citizen journalists” and needs Patrick, a younger man,  to enable him to fully understand their impact.  The story of Solomon and Gebre and their struggle to escape to a better life in the west brings a human element to the story.  The way in which Rob, ex editor of the Today programme, tries to spin a story to prevent swingeing cut at the MOD is very realistically drawn.
An excellent, well written story which has a slow start but builds to an emotional finale.  A very well researched and thought provoking thriller. Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book.
I usually read crime thrillers, but I thought I’d give this book a read which could be classified as a political thriller.

The book takes us back to 2011, during the Arab Spring, with the story largely focused on events at Tahrir Sq in Cairo.

The story is largely told through the eyes of William Carver a reporter on Radio 4’s the today programme. Carver’s aim was to report on events in Tahir Sq, but he soon uncovers a bigger story to report on which involves corruption, blackmail and murder, which puts his own life in danger.

There is another story which is being told and involves two brothers who are trying to travel from Eritrea to Italy to try and make a better life for themselves. I found this story really interesting, particularly when it goes into great detail on the horrors and cost the two brothers face trying to make the trip to Europe. The story talks a lot about the conditions the brothers face as well as the brutality of the traffickers who have no regard for human life.

The book is well written and you can see the author has done a huge amount of research. The one downside is I was struggling to understand how the two stories were linked until pretty much the last page of the book. Plus there is a 3rd story going on which takes place in London although it links into the story from Cairo.

I would recommend this book and while try the authors other book which is meant to be good. I’d like to thank NetGalley for giving me an opportunity to read this book.
Set against the background of the Arab Spring, Peter Hanington is a new author to me.
An intricate story involving several string which of course all weave together as the story comes to a conclusion.
If you like spy/political thriller then this is for you.
Keen to read more by Mr Hanington
Five stars from me.
Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the ARC
A new author and new genre for me. I’m not sure how to “categorise “ this, I’m going to say it’s a political thriller, which almost reads as a classic spy novel.

A gently paced opening introduces the 3 story strings in this book.

Set in 2011, at the time of the “ Arab spring” Veteran BBC reporter William Carver and his trusted producer Patrick are in Egypt covering events as the insurrection and riots begin to break out.

Whilst in London.  Ex journalist and colleague of Carver's, Rob Mariscal now head of Comms at the MOD, is working on a project to both protect the MOD's interest , in a weapons and arms company from the treasury budget cuts while ensuring the Involvement is not of pubic knowledge

In Eritrea , Africa, the tale of 2 young brothers, looking to escape the county is also being told. Soloman and Gebre, with the help of their scheming smuggler grandfather ,set off with people traffickers , in hope of reaching Europe.

In Egypt. Carver comes across what appears to be tear gas canisters made by a British company

Rob is working Hard trying to cover up any involvment

Eritrea. The journey is a difficult brutal experience across desert and blistering heat, with little to eat or drink. it’s hard not to become emotionally involved with the brothers. One strong, one weak. Willing each to the the end of the arduous journey, it’s at times heart wrenching.

Focus on how Twitter and social media has become almost become front line journalism, anyone can tweet news now.

Locations are well described, especially the descriptions of Eritrea.

Corruption, people trafficking , double crossing and blackmail, this is a touching tale that builds into an emotional finale that brings all the strings together

Very well written, intriguing, difficult to put down, an often slow paced but genuinely Gripping, tense, highly researched and intelligent thriller.

I highly recommend and I will certainly be looking into the author’s first novel involving the same characters

4.5⭐️
An interesting book. Written in a journalistic style from different parts of Africa and London it's interesting to see how arms dealers seem to be fomentic war - probably to help with sales.  The Arab Spring in Africa gave them many opportunities - even if they were illegal.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book although it is actually several stories in one, each explored in depth.
The main story and the one reporter Carver is focusing on is set in Cairo. It focuses on the events of the Arab Spring.  Running apparently disconnected to this is the story of human trafficking from Eritrea told sympathetically in the voice of two young brothers leaving their home.
The book is gripping and tense the story being uncovered is very believable and at times shocking. It's well written and well researched.  There are more books appt Carver although this is first I have read.  I shall be looking into the others.
A Single Source is the second book by Peter Hanington starring the reporter William Carver and it is another one that I would recommend.

The author clearly knows his subject and whilst I thought that the scene setting was a bit overlong and drawn out the pace definitely picks up in the second half of the book until the final twists

The book can easily be read as a standalone although I would recommend that you also read the first book as it will add to your enjoyment

Recommended
Well where do I start with this book? For the first few chapters I kept getting confused. As in actual fact you have 3 stories occurring on in the same timeline. At first it seemed very disjointed as it skips from one view point to another and you don’t know which characters are which, until the story starts to unfold more.

The main story is about William Carver a veteran radio journalist and his younger producer/co worker Patrick who both work for the BBC. The year is 2011 and they are in Cairo reporting on the Arab Spring Uprising.

The uprising is being lead by the younger generation giving Patrick the producer better understanding of what the demonstrators are asking for. As they are using all of the modern media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to gain momentum and support from their followers, and also encouraging them to go stand along side them.

The second story revolves around two brothers Gebre and Solomon Hassan from Asmara, Eritrea and their struggle to leave their own country to get a better life for themselves in Europe. Their grandfather pays a lot of money to traffickers to take his grandsons north across the Sahara. On their journey both brothers are witness to such terrible horrors as they are taken crossed the Sahara, in cramped conditions. How people were falling out of the trucks and the traffickers just carried on driving basically leaving them to die, as all they are interested in is the money they make.

The third story is based in London around Rob Mariscal an Ex colleague of William Carver’s, who now works for the MOD as a spin doctor who is desperately trying to cover up the story that Carver is starting to unfold.

Sadly I can only give this book 2 stars, as I’ve already said that it jumps from one story to the next. If the book had been structured in a different way it would have been a much more enjoyable book to read.
This book is wide ranging, taking in London, Cairo and Eritrea, and many points in between.  It is also wide ranging in content and ideas, including the Arab spring, migrants and bigotry.
Despite its broad sweep, it is fast and pacy once it gets into its stride.  The human cost of politics is clearly, and often heartbreakingly, evident.  Well researched and authoritative, but with a light enough touch to keep us engaged.
Well worth a read