I Know You Know

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 May 2019

I Know You Know follows Cody Swift who is making a podcast looking to find out the truth behind the murders of his two best friends when they were ten years old. A man was convicted of the crime but he has died in prison and Cody is not convinced the police had the right man. We get to read the podcast transcripts but also we follow the parents of the two boys who were killed. I’ll be honest and say that I struggled a little with this book as I was reading it so I bought the audio book to listen while I was reading and that made it a much better experience for me. It’s an emotional book at times and it has its twists and turns. I do love Gilly Macmillan’s writing and I’m looking forward to reading whatever she publishes next.
A really enjoyable read by Gilly Macmillan, I was left guessing to the very last pages who the killer was!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC
I'm loving that this book is centred around a true-crime podcast, it shows that our author is taking inspiration from current trends making it more relatable. Fab book, loved the concept and execution.
An initially interesting book that very rapidly turned into a confused, disjointed mess of conflicting narrative strands and forms; almost half of this could probably have been cut to make the book more linear and less confusing as, even after finishing the novel, I was still rather confused about the identity of the murderer. Which, you know, not very ideal for a mystery-thriller.
Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for the arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the book, and the storyline, but for me I got confused towards the end, I think I was waiting for something big, and it just didn't come. I hovered between 2 and 3 stars, and a good ending would have pushed it to maybe 3 or 4.
I am a huge fan of podcasts, so when I read about the fact that podcasts will be included in this novel I was immediately hooked- I did enjoy that aspect of the book. In my opinion, this book was anticlimactic. The first half of the book was enjoyable- it was suspenseful and made me want to do nothing but read. There was a seemingly strong build up, but it led to less than i was hopping for. The book just kind of fizzles out towards the end. I did, however, really enjoy the author’s writing style- it was easy to read and absorb. There were certain situations where the plot was quite predictable, but there were also times when it would take an unexpected twist and throw me off completely.

Overall I will definitely check out more of Gilly Macmillan’s books in the future.

3 stars
I feel like perhaps it's my own fault for the reason I'm not going to finish this book. The podcast element I assumed would work and be a great element and it really didn't add anything to the story if I'm being honest, some my disagree though. I think I'm the wrong audience for this book but I would read another book by this author in the future to see how I liked some of her other work.
Detective Inspector Fletcher and his partner Danny found a pile of bones covered in mud. 20 years back, a few yards same duo recovered the body of 2 kids Charlie Paige and Scott Ashby. The police got the killer or so the people thought.

Cody Swift was best friends with Charlie and Scott. He never felt right about the case. There’s was something missing. He felt the court wrongfully accused Sidney of the murder. So, after 20 years, he comes back to Bristol to re-investigate the case. He starts a podcast to involve the locals of Bristol.

But podcast will bring back memories that many people wouldn’t like. DI Fletcher needs to solve the case of bones otherwise the cases will rumble the reality as they know!

My take on the book

The concept and storyline were remarkable. Using the podcast to narrate the story along with sweet and salty characters were a nice twist to the plot. These were a few of the best things about the book.
Even though the story had a huge potential, the ending spoiled it. And it was just not the ending as the book progressed, the characters were haywire. The assumed to be a nice twist to the lead characters, but it failed because of the ending. Some characters were main and I am not sure why. They had nothing to contribute to the story but kept coming back. Even the situations which weren’t important (like an appendix to human), it was there but served no purpose.

I wish the book had an interesting ending that would have made it an excellent crime novel.

My rating for the book is 2 stars.
thank you for allowing me to read this book. it was very easy to read. i enjoyed the story line and the characters. look forward to reading more from this author.
Twenty years ago, eleven-year-olds Charlie Page and Scott Ashby were murdered, their bodies dumped near a dog racing track. A man was convicted of the brutal crime but, decades later, questions still linger.
For his whole life, filmmaker Cody Swift has been haunted by the deaths of his childhood friends. Hoping to uncover new evidence, Cody starts a podcast to record his findings. But there are many people who don't want the case reopened, especially Charlie's mother, Jess, who decides to take matters into her own hands.
When another body is found in the same location the boys were left decades before, the disturbing discovery launches another murder investigation. Now Detective John Fletcher, the investigator on the original case, must reopen his dusty files and decide if the two murders are linked. With his career in jeopardy, the clock is ticking and lives are in jeopardy...

This is another tense, very chilling written novel by this brilliant author.
This book is written largely in the form of a pod-cast format which is new to me but didn't deter from he enjoyment of reading this.
The pod-cast is based on a 20 year old brutal murder of 2 young boys. This case was solved, the murderer behind bars. If the murder is solved, how 20 years on has another body been found in the same pit? Was there a mistake? Is the killer still at large? Are the cases linked?
Tense and chilling this gripped me and I couldn't stop reading.
I loved the plot and found the story well written.
Loved the characters and how well they were developed throughout.
Recommend reading 5*.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and of course the author for this digital ARC ; this is my honest voluntary review.
I absolutely adored "I Know You Know" - with its fantastic plot, perfect pacing and great main characters it was a real page-turner. I would definitely recommend this book.
# I Know You Know # Netgalley
Awesome read, excellent storyline, beautifully written a medium paced book, that actually suits the book itself. Not all fast, books need to be fast paced. A book like this especially. It’s a challenging book that keeps you gripped from the beginning to end. I do have quite a lot of administration for the author. It’s my first read by Gilly Macmillan and it most definitely will not be my last. She draws to right into the story as almost as if your living it yourself, I admire any author who can do that. Trust me this lady certainly did. It takes a special kind of writer to be able to pull you so far into the storyline. With unexpected twists a rollercoaster of a emotional feelings. I recommend you read this book.
I received a free ecopy of this book in return for an honest review. Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity.

I first became aware of author Gilly Macmillan about a month ago when a friend leant me The Perfect Girl (thanks Anne-Marie). Sometimes there is a tingle of excitement when you find a new author you just know you’re going to love, and this was one of those times. So naturally I jumped at the chance to read I Know You Know.

This book is written largely in the form of a podcast. Twenty years ago, Cody Swift’s two best friends were murdered. The man convicted of killing them just committed suicide in prison. Cody never believed he was guilty and decides to investigate the murders for himself, broadcasting the interviews. The podcasts alternate with the viewpoints of Jessica, the mother of one of the boys, and Fletcher, a cop who found the boys bodies and is now investigating another body from that time period, that has just been found now. The narrative also flits between twenty years ago and now.

Actually through the medium of the interviews, the book manages to sneak many viewpoints in but the podcast format is a great plot device for keeping them all distinct. I had trouble keeping the two timelines separate. The past was shown in italics, which helped, but I had to keep stopping and checking. The book is a quick read with frisson. I blasted through it putting other things aside (who needs sleep anyway). The podcast layout meant that it was easy to pick up and put down if you prefer to read it that way though.

By far the most interesting character in the book is Jessica, mother of murdered Charlie. She progresses from abused child, to wild child single mother, to having her life together. Since we see her in two timelines, we see both the messed up young girl and the older, together Jessica at the same time. As a mum to Charlie we don’t see much affection, more regret, but towards the end, there is a moment when she calls him ‘my boy’ and I felt her deep and abiding pain.

This book isn’t perfect. I like to try to guess, as I read, what is going to happen and what the solution to the mystery will be. This book had some eleventh hour reveals that made my wonderings obsolete. Some aspects of the story which seemed very important, early on, are inconsequential by the end, so that I felt a bit cheated, since they still felt important to me as a reader. I can’t expand on this without dropping spoilers, so I will leave it there.

Having said all that, I still felt it was a darn good read. The final twist just left me in a spin. If you’re looking for a book to take on holiday, this one will keep you entertained as you sunbathe.
I really struggled to finish this book. The premise has been done so many times.
Some parts are so unbelievable I just had to laugh and as for the ending, well what ending?????
Not for me.
I would like to thank the author, Little Brown Book Group UK and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
A really good read. This story is we written and well thought out. I was gripped the whole way through. The characters were great and I thought the ending was really good. There is a lot packed into this book and I feel that I want to sit down and read it again to see what I missed the first time.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Thank you to NetGalley and Little Brown Book Group UK for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Two boys are murdered, a man was imprisoned then everyone tried to get on with their lives as best they could. Twenty years later another body turns up...
Was the wrong person convicted?

The majority of the narrative is told in a podcast format which I'd never come across before, and I didn't really take to it. I thought the story was quite slow, so much so, that I almost didn't finish it. But I'm glad I persevered as it got better and I really enjoyed it.

I'm loved her writing style and will definitely be reading more from Gilly Macmillan.
Two 11 year old boys are brutally murdered not far from home.  Their friend Cody, by a stroke of luck, is grounded that night by his mother, an action that undoubtedly saves his life.   A young man with intellectual disabilities is tried and convicted of their murders.  Twenty years on and a set of bones is unearthed very close to the place where the boys were murdered.  Are the murders connected?  Detective Fletcher is tasked with finding out.

Cody, now 30 has always harboured doubts about Sidney's conviction for the murder of his two best friends and starts a podcast to look into the investigation himself.  He talks to the people involved in the investigation and also to those that were around at the time.  However, he is advised by more than a couple of parties to let sleeping dogs lie, for his own good.

With some qualifications, I really enjoyed this book.  It is a compelling and compulsive read where the now and then stories are told through flashbacks, the podcast transcription and events in real time unfolding as a result of information unearthed through the podcast enquiries.  I loved the podcast element and could almost hear the voice of Cody narrating events as they unfolded.

There are a lot of unlikeable characters in this book, nobody is as they seem and Ms Macmillan expertly drip feeds information slowly and teasingly ratcheting up the tension so that basically I ended up suspecting almost everyone.   There are some chilling twists and turns, however, I found I was waiting for a final twist in the tale which, unfortunately, never came.  The ending was a bit of a damp squib, and left me feeling a bit up in the air regarding certain characters, particularly the nasty character of Felix and where he really fit in to the whole storyline.   For that reason I am giving the book 3.5/5*
I received I Know You Know from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I Know You Know caught my eye when it was released in the US last year, and I was really excited when I saw it was on NetGalley. I’d heard some really great things about this adult thriller and I was keen to get my hands on it!

What I didn’t know about I Know You Know was that it’s told, in part, in a podcast format. I wish I had known beforehand because I would have liked to try the audiobook. On paper, it was still an entertaining way to get the story across, but I do wonder how the audiobook would have enhanced the experience.

As for the thriller plot, I did very much enjoy it right up until the ending was revealed. I was completely hooked on the mystery of who killed the boys, and I have to admit that Macmillan did a fantastic job building tension and making me suspect a few different people. That said, towards the end things started to unravel a bit and it wasn’t one of the strongest endings I’ve ever read. The last thirty pages or so felt incredibly rushed, and the ending wasn’t all that satisfying.

I think that aside from the ending, Macmillan tied everything together really well, and I was really intrigued by the story for the majority of the book. I’d definitely be interested in seeing what else Macmillan has published, and what else she’ll be releasing in the future.
I loved this! So much so that I couldn't resist reading it on my phone whilst in company. Rude! It was engaging, addictive and well-written. I enjoy the inclusion of the podcast element in particular. I'm now going to seek out the author's other work.
When two children are murdered, a man convicted of their murder, and then 20 years later it seems as if the same killer is back.... this raises some uncomfortable questions and is a great start to a new book! I enjoyed the book, and couldn't wait to finish it. Recommended.