I Know You Know

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 May 2019

Nope, sorry, not for me this one.

I really struggled ploughing through this quite well written story that just didn’t seem to hang together and at the end, honestly wondered why I’d bothered.

I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to preview this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and of course the author for this digital ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.

I really wanted this book to be good as I loved the interesting format, told through podcasts, emergency calls, flash backs and the present day I wanted to enjoy this style as much as I have before but it felt a little hard to settle in to though I kept going and did enjoy the read

20 years ago a pair of young boys are found brutally murdered. This case was solved, the murderer in prison. But now another body been found in the same area? Was there a mistake? Is the killer still at large? Are the cases linked? Did they get the right person?

Join me on instergram @booksandemma
Join me on my blog, The Twist and Turn Book Blog https://booksandemma.wixsite.com/blog
I really enjoyed this book - it has a great plot, excellent main characters and is a real page turner.  I would highly recommend this book.
I wanted to like this but it was another story trying to jump on the podcast bandwagon and relying on that rather than having a proper plot. There was no suspense and everything felt underwhelming. There was no pay off and i was left feeling very unsatisfied.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for a review copy of I Know You Know, a stand alone psychological thriller set in Bristol.

Cody Swift returns home to start a podcast, determined to uncover the truth. He has come to suspect that the wrong man was convicted in the 1996 murder of his two childhood friends, 10 year olds Scott Ashby and Charlie Paige. In the meantime DI Fletcher, who found the boys all those years ago is investigating bones recently uncovered near the boy’s’ murder site. Are they linked? He’ll have to investigate both crimes to find out.

I thoroughly enjoyed I Know You Know which is a compulsive read with a shifting perspective, timeline and truth. I’m not always a fan of this approach, finding it difficult to get immersed but it works well here as the reader questions every character’s motive. There are three main narrative threads to the novel, the podcast which includes Cody’s memories and interviews with the main players who look back on events, DI Fletcher’s current investigation and his memories of the investigation into the boy’s’ murder and Charlie’s mum, Jessica’s memories and current actions. These are supplemented by contemporaneous sections of narrative from Fletcher’s original investigation. It sounds messy but it’s curiosity inducing and extremely addictive. Then, about half way in the twists start and anything the reader thinks they know becomes open to question. It is all extremely clever and I defy any reader to guess them.

I really like the podcast idea. By putting it verbatim into the novel it allows for a host of alternative voices, speculation and interpretation held together by Cody Swift and his own personal musings. It is a stroke of genius that gives the novel a shortcut to depth and a wider perspective. Fascinating and my favourite part of the novel.

None of the characters is particularly attractive, being revealed as mostly selfish and self interested as the novel progresses. Normally I find this off putting in a novel as I like to identify with at least one character but such is the strength of the plot and writing it didn’t deter me in the slightest. I also think that the warts and all depiction of them makes them very human and understandable.

I Know You Know is a good read which I have no hesitation in recommending.
An masterfully plotted psychological thriller. I absolutely loved this. I loved the dual timeline, past and present and the podcast chapters were original and modern. A plot centred around a twenty year old murder. Full of twists, turns and secrets. The perfect thriller.
I really wanted to like this book as I thought the podcast style of telling the reader about a past crime was a current and intriguing idea as well as a little bit different. It didn’t quite work for me although I’m struggling to say why. I didn’t really find anything positive in the characters to get excited about and I don’t get as emotional as I would have expected considering the subject matter. The author writes beautifully which saved this for me plus an unexpected twist towards the end also lifted this to a level higher than I was expecting. Still looking forward to her next book though!
Gilly Macmillan's standalone thriller is smart, beautifully written and so very well constructed with a narrative that revolves around a true crime podcast that goes back and forth in time. In 1996, two friends, 11 year old Scott Ashby and 10 year old Charlie Paige were brutally murdered in Bristol. Charlie died in the arms of police officer John Fletcher. The gentle giant, Sidney Noyce, a 24 year old learning disabled man, with a mental age of a 10 year old, is arrested, convicted and imprisoned for their murder. Sidney has always claimed his innocence throughout the years, and goes on to commit suicide in prison, and a newspaper article questions his guilty conviction for the heinous crimes. Close friend of Scott and Charlie, Cody Swift, was traumatised by the tragedy and haunted by it ever since, never able to forget it. He is now a film maker, and having doubts as to the Noyce's guilt, he and his girlfriend, Maya, begin a podcast to find out what really happened twenty years ago in the search for justice.

In the present, at a construction site near the site of where the boys were found all those years ago, human remains are found, is there any connection with what happened to the boys? DI John Fletcher now finds himself with a new case that has him opening the can of worms that was the original police inquiry. The dead man turns out to be Pete Dale, a local con man who disappeared around the same time as the killing of the boys. With a story relayed through multiple perspectives, the podcast revisits the major players from the past, documenting what is uncovered. Unsurprisingly, not everyone is happy to have the past reopened with its festering emotional wounds. One of these is Jess Paige, Charlie's mother, who has moved on into a new life, and she wants to keep buried her disastrous earlier life and her negligent parenting style. Will Cody's podcast reawaken the dangers of the past for him and others?

Macmillan writes a tense, multilayered and complex character driven story of corruption, ambition, betrayal, deceit, the nature of children and the world they inhabit, a troubling police investigation, blackmail, where everyone has secrets and where no-one can be taken at face value. The author particularly excels in the characters she creates, they have such depth and in how she develops them as the reader is hit by shock surprises and twists. This is an exciting and emotionally intense rollercoaster of a read which left me eagerly awaiting Macmillan's next novel. Many thanks to Little, Brown for an ARC.
Two cases of murder,are they linked,what's the link? An unusual police thriller told in large parts by the inspector involved in both cases. Lots of twists, surprises and red herrings.
Twenty years ago, two boys were found murdered; a learning disabled man, Sidney Noyce, was - with echoes of the Stefan Kiszko case - convicted of the crime. In the present day the boys’ friend, Cody Swift, who only by chance wasn’t with them that day, is unconvinced of Sidney’s guilt and determined to find out what really happened. Via his increasingly successful podcast, It’s Time to Tell, Cody recounts both the events of the time and his ongoing investigations. Meanwhile we also follow police officer John Fletcher, both then and now, and Jessica Paige, the mother of one of the boys.

The podcast is an effective way of telling the story, though I was aware throughout that the narrative choice keeps us a step removed from Cody, and ensures we/the listeners are only hearing what he wishes us to know.

I did find myself becoming a bit confused towards the end of the story, and at times struggling to get my head around what was going on - this may well have been my own fault for not paying close enough attention, though. Fletcher was an interesting choice as a point of view character, for reasons which become apparent as the story progresses.

While I enjoyed the story I don’t think it quite, for me, measured up to Gilly Macmillan’s previous work, which I loved. I can’t quite put my finger on why, though. It’s a good read, nevertheless.
Golly Macmillan has written a tense chilling thriller based on a podcast this well written mystery kept me racing through the pages.Multi layered with twists and turns grab this book, #netgalley#littlebrownuk
Another book with a true crime podcast as it’s central theme I can’t get enough of them if they are done well and this one was. Clever plotting and an excellent finale.

Past and present collide as Cody returns to a difficult time in his life, the loss of his two closest friends. At the same time a body is discovered, dragging the original investigator back to a difficult and emotional case.

This one has a lot of layers but mostly it’s about tangled relationships, moral life choices and the shades of grey that are ingrained in human nature. It’s a gripping read with plenty of twists and turns of character, a strong emotional core and an unpredictable vibe that keeps you turning those pages.

I’ve loved Gilly Macmillan’s previous books and this one was no different – I immersed myself into it and read it over two sittings. Very good indeed.

Recommended.
I did not enjoy I Know You Know, the writing felt amateurish and while tension did rise throughout the story it leads nowhere and left me feeling unsatisfied. Ridiculous amounts of red herrings and while I thought the podcast idea was fresh for a book that's because  an audible form does not work well in a book.  I've read brilliant books by Gillian so I'm really confused by I Know You Know, I do not recommend reading this,
Different emotions fill this book from blackmail to police misconduct to heartbreaks. It is told through three difference characters: Cody, a friend of the boys who were murdered. He also started the podcast to try to find out what really happened; Jessy, she is the mother of one of the murdered boys and was also a prostitute when they were murdered; and lastly, John Fletcher who was the investigating detective on the case and also the detective of the recent murder at the same place the boys were found. These characters are portrayed in one way and then change throughout the story back and forth through flashbacks. Great twists that held my attention until the very end!
Interesting format, told through podcasts, emergency calls, flash backs and the present day!
Intriguing, gripping, tense, with a beautifully imaginative format!
20 years ago a pair of young boys are found brutally murdered. This case was solved, the murderer behind bars. If the murder is solved, how 20 years on has another body been found in the same pit? Was there a mistake? Is the killer still at large? Are the cases linked?
Full of twists and turns, a real page turner! Worth a read. It’s 3.5 stars from me.
Thanks to Netgalley, Little brown book group UK and Gilly for an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review
A tense and well written novel.

The moment I read the blurb I knew this was something that I really wanted to read. The story itself is well executed and the characters are interesting and full of life.
I would recommend this for sure!