Cover Image: One Summer in Santorini

One Summer in Santorini

One Summer in Santorini is definitely the right book to put you in the summer mood!

I mean a story revolving around a woman sailing through the Greek islands and living her best life with six others travelers really is the ultimate summer vibe. One Summer in Santorini is the perfect beach read. It's sweet, light and funny. The story has amazing characters and a bit of a "love-triangle" situation going on. I say "love-triangle" but in reality there's just two handsome men interested in one beautiful woman and she's on vacation not looking for anything serious...so it's really not that serious.

All in all I really did like One Summer in Santorini by Sandy Barker. Her characters were in their own way amazing and they complimented each other really well. Sarah was a hilariously somewhat free-spirited character and Josh, who's the main love interest in the story was adorable and swoony  but the end honestly fell flat for me. I would've like to see more of the "other man" also known as Silver-Fox, also known as James and as adorable as Josh was he was really giving me whiplash with his feelings towards Sarah and relationships in general.

If you're looking for a book to read while laying out on the beach and catching some sun, I recommend One Summer in Santorini. It's quick, easy and it really captures the beauty of Greece. Oh! And it'll definitely make you hungry with all the delicious cuisine talk!

Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.

This is a great summer read!

Sarah booked a trip to Greece months ago, so it quit feeling real, but now the time has come.  On her way, she makes a stop off in London to visit her sister. Sarah is looking forward to this cruise, and has sworn off men for this trip.  The breakup with Neil was painful, and she doesn't want to think about it.  She's just looking forward to some "alone" time on this trip.

After having her wallet stolen, she's just looking forward to getting on the yacht and sailing for a few days.  What she's not expecting, or looking forward to is the possibility of men entering her life, but that's exactly what happens!

Thoroughly enjoyed!
#NetGalley  #OneSummerinSantorini
This is not really a story about Santorini but a light-hearted story as Sarah, wanting to leave her broken love affair behind, embarks on a sailing trip around the Greek islands. I loved the descriptions of the various places they visit and the different relationships between the travellers. The book did make me think wistfully of my own youth when anything seemed possible but that is also the attraction of Greece. If you long to leave the humdrum daily life behind and can't afford to sail around the Greek islands, then this book is the next best thing.
Escapist travel fiction/romance is a firm favourite genre of mine, mostly because I need some sunshine somehow but also that I have a soft spot for Greece as my best holidays have been there.  I love books that transport you to a different place, feature delicious food, have a respect for the tradition/culture of the area, and have a great cast of characters. This book ticks all of the boxes.

What I loved about this book was of course it is filled to the brim with escapism and glorious depictions of the Greek islands, food, architecture and clear waters, but it is also written in a very honest and refreshing style. This book is about Sarah, her own dreams, fears and experience, it isn't at all whimsical or fairytale. Sarah is open from the start and realistic about what she expects both from this trip and from any romance that may occur; she's determined to do things her way, isn't afraid to speak her mind and treats people fairly but without pretence.

This story made me wonder if I could live on a boat for a few weeks (probably not a very small boat, I'm 5ft 10" and don't do well in confined spaces...not to mention I got sea sick once moored up at the infamous shipwreck beach in Zante) the idea of hopping island to island and feeling the sea breeze on your face was very appealing.

There are some truly special characters in this story, from all walks of life, and I liked how the book pulled all of them together revealing love, secrets, jealousy, loneliness etc, it really explored so well the heightened emotions and intense bond that a group of strangers living in a confined space would experience as time went on.

One Summer In Santorini is full of mouthwatering holiday delights with so much enjoyment and excitement all packed in. Great for reading wherever you chase the sun this summer.
A lovely summer read , Sarah is really relatable, possibly a bit too relatable for me, but so well written it touched a nerve with me. A lovely quick fun read, but one that left it open for a future book, or at least I hope so because need to know what happens next and who she chooses. Great addictive page turner.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
One Summer in Santorini is a great summer read. I have to admit it hit a little too close to home for me right now. I feel like Sarah- stuck in my life and not doing much with it. Coincidentally I’ve actually been planning a trip next year that would send me across the world to backpack with a group of strangers. This book made me completely excited for that trip and the possibilities of what could happen on the adventure. This book was a quick, fun read but it left me a little frustrated at the end. I really hope there is a second book to this because I’m left with so many questions. What happens with James? What happens with Josh? Who does she choose? Besides those questions I did enjoy the book and now have a sudden urge and desire to travel to Greece. Thank you Netgalley for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own
Sarah's off on a cruise around the Greek islands.  If the book had only been about that I would have been happy because Barker does a nice job of evoking the atmospherics and gosh- it sounds really nice.  However, Sarah's also met two men- Josh and James.  She wasn't interested in making any connections on this trip but they are both so...appealing.  This is fun, light, and funny chick lit.  Thanks to net galley for the ARC.  A good read for an afternoon at the beach, patio or to cheer you up in the winter.
Loved the setting of this book. The premise was good and found self devouring this book. Great read. Will definitely look for more from the author
I loved the unique setting of Santorini. Great fun, frothy read.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Thank you @netgalley for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. One Summer in Santorini publishes on 6.24.19! 🇬🇷

Warning: this is a perfect summer read that will make you dream about planning your own Greek excursion.  Maybe you’ve already had the honor of visiting and it will instantly bring back memories of whitewashed buildings, beautiful harbors and fabulous feast. Either way the descriptions in this book are beyond fabulous. You can picture the vivid bougainvillea, see the brilliant blue water and almost taste those homegrown tomatoes. Greece is high on my bucket list and I loved spending this literary moment being transported there.

If that’s not enough of a setting for you, the cast spend 10 days sailing to different ports around the Greek islands. I loved the scenes on their boat and the mix of personalities amongst the characters. They truly felt like a tight knit family once the trip was over. It’s funny how friendships can develop so quickly, but I’ve experienced it in real life so I felt connected to that aspect of the story.

The light romance was captivating from start to finish. Sarah was a wonderful lead character. She was honest and very realistic. I enjoyed watching her get over a failed relationship and rediscover her passion and zest for life again. Watching her struggle with her unexpected feelings towards two men was just plain fun to witness. One definitley caught my attention and I so hope there is a sequel so we can continue the love triangle and adventures in a new tropical setting!! It would be wonderful to see how / if Sarah and Josh have made any changes in their everyday life and encorporated the feelings they took away from their brief trip.

What really sealed the deal for me on this sweet story, was the author’s notes. She mentions that she penned this as a love letter to her partner, whom she met on a pier in Santorini. It was apparent Greece holds a very special place in her heart.
3.5 Stars, rounded
Sarah used to manage tours for travelers, experiences where they camped, explored out of the way places and became fast friends. But she’s backed away from the travel, and spends more of her time lesson planning for her English classes as she wonders just how her relationship went so pear shaped.  But, with that end came a new beginning: she’s booked a sailing cruise around the Greek Islands, capping that trip off with a week in London to connect back with her sister.  The trip promises lovely weather, close quarters and incredible scenery, and a chance to get away from all that is ailing her.

Arriving at the sailboat she meets her travel companions, and discovers that the captain is an ‘old hand’ in the islands: knows many people and places, and the trip is off to a flying start.  Among the passengers is a first time out of the US traveler Josh, a bit fish out of water as he tries to see everything, determined to be a ‘bachelor of means’, and instantly sparks an interest in the only other single woman on the trip and Sarah’s cabin-mate, Hannah.

This was a gentle story, allowing the beauty of the islands and Sarah’s own confusion about her desire for a relationship contrasting with the very unusual models of relationships displayed on the ship. From Gary and Marie with their marriage as solid as can be despite large age differences to Duncan and Gerry and their long-distance connection, her attraction to Josh, and his confusion about his to her, is clearly played out across the trip to mixed reviews from Hannah and the others.  When another man enters the mix, a friend of Duncan’s and a world travelling art dealer, who is instantly taken with Sarah, there’s a few moments of jealousy sparking up, and lots of potential for ‘something to be determined later’, even as the cruise comes to the end.  Light, fun and atmospheric, Sarah is a lovely narrator with a solid sense of humor and an awareness of not having all the answers, making her even more intriguing.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed
A fantastic holiday read - perfect for the beach or lounging by the pool. For real props, bring this book to Santorini with you.

It took me a while to warm to Sarah, and she isn't one of my favourite characters.

The wanderlust is strong after reading this, and I am now determined to go to Santorini someday.
Fun, breezy, cheering book! Much like a holiday to Greece, I suppose! A read that skips along nicely, is engaging and really makes you root for the romance to come!
I enjoyed this book, touring some Greek Islands I haven't visited yet and remembering how wonderful Greek food can be.

The book follows Sarah, on holiday from Sydney. Personally I didn't warm to this character but I still enjoyed the story.

A good book to read during a dull, damp English summer - full of sunshine, friendships, romance and food.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for a digital review copy in return for a honest review.
Sarah goes on a sailing trip around the Greek islands from her home in Australia. She's vowed to stay away from men but ends up meeting and attractive American who's on the boat with her an a sexy older millionaire who she bumps int.o. Good descriptions of the Greek islands.
When former travel-guide-turned-schoolteacher, Sarah decides she needs a long overdue change of scenery - especially after breaking up with her cheating ex-boyfriend months earlier, she books a week and a half long cruise around the Greek islands. After swearing off men and focusing on the present, she is suddenly faced with the dilemma of having two suitors: a sweet but sexy, younger American guy named Josh, and an older, handsome (and wealthy) man named James.

As she gets to know Josh and spend more time with him since he is one of her travel mates on the boat, she is torn in an inner conflict to see if she wants to pursue something more with him, or not spoil the growing and deepening friendship that is developing between them. However, Josh doesn't help the situation with his ever flip-flopping life views. One moment his actions say he wants to have Sarah to be with him, the next moment he is telling her how he wants to be a permanent bachelor who constantly travels the world. However, I think there were a lot of unnecessary mixed messages from Josh right up to the very end. I was left feeling with unresolved feelings and the end made it seem a little rushed to tie details up.

However. this story made me travel envy and Sandy Barker brought me back to my solo travel days where the beginning of a trip provided vast prospects of things to come and of freedom. One quote that struck me about how traveling put things into perspective is:
"'What I've realized - and only recently - is that I want my life to be bigger.'
It was such an elegant thought. So simple. Succinct, yet all-encompassing. He didn't need to explain it beyond those few words, because I completely understood. Bigger than routine. Bigger than normal. Bigger than constraints of expectation."

And Sandy hit the nail right on the head with this quote:

"I was at once excited for what the next few days would hold and deeply saddened it was all coming to an end."

That perfectly describes how I have felt when my trip was approaching its end.

Overall, this is a good summer read if you want something light and it made me want to go back to Greece and check out all islands have yet to discover!
Gorgeous holiday read. A lovely relaxed story of Sarah’s trip around the Greek islands. Great cliffhanger at the end and amazing holiday trip!
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.  I am rating this novel 4 stars.

I really enjoyed reading this light, perfect for summer novel.  It had the right amount of adventure, travel, and romance.

I liked Sarah’s character and found her to be very likeable and witty.  I still can’t tell which male character I’m rooting for more as her significant other.  Josh and James both seem like really exceptional men, and to be fair, the ending left a tad too much to be desired for my taste!  I don’t want to have to use my imagination!!

Overall, great quick read and I really enjoyed it!
Sarah is a teacher in Australia and decides to go on a 10 day boat trip around the Greek Islands with a bunch of strangers.

They sail through Greece eating, drinking wine and beer, connecting with people and generally having a grand old time.

Good story, i enjoyed it.
It doesn't take much, but boy does this book make me want to travel adventurously!  I'd call this an upbeat, escapist, beach read for 30-somethings and singletons.

My thanks goes to Netgalley.com for providing the e-book in exchange for my review.