I Looked Away

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jul 2019

I looked away by Jane Corry was a real page turner that keeps you guessing throughout the book. A really good plot with believable characters, definitely worth reading.
This was a slow and steady read by a talented author.  I can't imagine how Ellie would have felt after her grandson's accident.  Recommended reading!
I Looked Away is an intriguing psychological thriller.  A wife haunted by her childhood makes a mistake.  A fast paced and twist turning read.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book.

Fantastic read, this book kept me hooked from the first page! cannot wait to read more from this auth
This had an  interesting plot. And I was invested in the characters but towards the end it became a bit of let down. The research was really good and I felt like I was in the story with Ellie and I enjoyed the side characters as well.

Thanks goes to Net Galley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ellie is the perfect grandmother, spying on 5 year old Josh but her husband, Richard, has been having an affair and one day in the garden she takes her eye off Josh and then sees his T-shirt in a pond.
Jo is homeless, moving from one town to another making her way through a bad situation. How do the two women react to each other?
Wow this was not what I was expecting. What a mind twister this was (in a good way) my favourite Jane Corey book to date! Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
This book kept me gripped even though I'd figured out where it was going.
I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to others
I’m sorry to think this, but it was a relief when I finally finished this book! I read The Dead Ex by Jane Corry not too long ago and really enjoyed it so I thought I’d get stuck into this one.... urgh! It just seemed to drag on forever. A couple of bits surprised me, I’ll give it that, but it just took forever to get anywhere. There’s not very many books that I wouldn’t recommend, but sadly, this is going to have to be one of them.
Wow. I don't think I can put into words just how good this book is. This is the first book I have read by Jane Corry and as soon as I finished I immediately purchased all of her other's. This is so remarkably and so sensitively written. I don't want to disclose too much about the plot as I don't want to spoil the book for others. This gives true insight into modern day life and how non of us fully appreciate the needs of others and what there personal battles are. Well done Jane Corry on such an amazing book.
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jane Corry is an author that I instantly read, and yet again, Corry delivers a thrilling page-turner that had me hooked from beginning to end. With excellently written characters, a cleverly spun plot and an ending that I didn't see coming, I highly recommend this one.
There are two stories running along side by side - that of Ellie as a young child and then as an older woman and the story of a homeless woman who is searching for somewhere to live and someone to believe in her.  We discover how Ellie blames herself after her mother died of cancer and she felt unable to comfort her and how the babysitter worms her way into her fathers affections and then drives a wedge between Ellie and her father.
The way in which life on the outskirts of society for an older woman is described makes you feel terrible for every homeless person you have walked past and turned a blind eye to.  There are some people who show compassion but most just look away. An interesting story.  Many thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
I Looked Away is an entertaining read - and one which is quite different to what I expected, having read the synopsis, but which I hugely enjoyed nontheless. Instead of being all about a lady charged with the murder of her grandson, as the synopsis suggests it might be, the story was much more about characters Jo and Ellie's lives, covering different points in their lives, and what led to the day that Ellie's grandson dies which we read about in the impactful opening chapter.

I loved reading about both characters, and though this book is a pretty easy read, there are some emotional and upsetting parts. I found the story about Jo's life on the streets so interesting, and very sad - I'm aware that there are so many people unfortunately living on the streets in this country, but the book really drives home how difficult it is for homeless people, and how vulnerable they are - especially women. It makes for uncomfortable reading at times, but it's a very interesting read, and it's an effective way of trying to highlight their plight to readers.

There are a few surprises whick keep I Looked Away nice and twisty (just how I like my books!), and though I guessed one twist quite early on, it didn't hamper my enjoyment as I raced through its pages. I really wanted to work out how certain characters were connected, and I felt like I'd really got to care about Jo and Ellie, despite Jo being a bit brash at times and making some bad decisions.

I really enjoyed My Husband's Wife, also by Jane Corry, and having now really enjoyed I Looked Away, I am looking forward to reading other novels by her too!
I was slightly confused at first but trust me it all becomes clear in the end. A really good twisty, gripping story. Incorporating issues such as homelessness, mental illness and betrayal, with characters that you will want to slap, root for and empathise with. Thought provoking and you’ll be glad it’s not you! My thanks to Penguin books and NetGalley for my ARC in return for an honest review.
This book was not at all what I expected and as a result I could not put it down. It was a brilliant, heartbreaking, page turning read that made me want to give up writing my novel!

Ellie looks after her beloved grandson regularly but she looks away for a moment and something terrible happens as result. But who is Jo, a homeless woman roaming Devon, what is she hiding and how is she connected?

A brilliant, brilliant thriller!
I have to say that I do enjoy reading books by Jane Corry - this one was no exception. Chapters went backwards & forwards between two main characters and it kept me gripped until the end. Can’t wait for the next one.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher & Jane Corry for the ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a very clever physiological thriller and I became totally engrossed in it. The story flits between Ellie and Jo; Ellie as child who had miserable  upbringing following her beloved mother's death  and Jo who is a homeless woman with a past she wants to forget.
Following another family tragedy, Ellie finds herself in a secure mental institution, then the story flips to Ellie serving a current prison sentence.
Despite the different perspectives and the jump from past to present, I thought this story flowed really well and the end really did take me by surprise.
This is my first Jane Corry book, but I’m definitely going to read more
Wow, what a fantastic book, I really enjoyed this clever psychological thriller. Great characterisation, I couldn't wait to find out what happens to Ellie. A real page turner. Excellent twists and turns which I didn't see coming - I love being surprised by this genre of book. I loved how the story twisted backwards and forwards and between characters.

Riveting, I highly recommend this. Can't wait to read the next one from Jane Corry.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
My thanks to Netgalley and Penguin bks for a copy of “I looked away “for an honest review..

I found this book to be a perfect example of what a psychological thriller should be., thought provoking, thrilling and suspenseful.
At the start I was a bit confused by the story line being told by two , seemingly unconnected women, but all was resolved by a very satisfying ending, which I hadn’t anticipated.!
I found the main characters of Ellie and Jo very well written, and the harrowing situations they found themselves I totally believable.
I have read Jane Corry books before and enjoyed them, and this one definitely didn’t disappoint.
I will be recommending to others.
Ellie was taking care of Josh, her grandson, that day. But when she comes back home, she’s disturbed and confronts her husband. In all that commotion she forgets for a moment about Josh. At that moment Ellie’s life turns upside down!

I looked away is a unique book with very sensitive themes. It took some time to get past the first few pages. But once I got the clarity, I understood the seriousness of the topic. The author has given a brilliant insight into society. The title of the book is apt.

The characters are very reliable. I could feel through Ellie’s pain, her sadness and her happy moments. The ending is appropriate and matches the premise of the book.

Thank you NetGalley and Penguin UK for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My rating for the book is 3.5 stars.
Thank you netgalley for a copy of this book I loved it.
This book.is about a lady called Ellie and her grandson disappears after she is meant to be looking after him. She is distracted after discovering her husband has had another affair.

Then the story moves to the past with her childhood and what happened to her to make her how she is now.
Then it starts doing chapters with a lady called jo who lives on the streets.
To start with I did think what is going on did i miss where this up lady came into the story. But you get fully immerersed into the story and I just wanted to know what happens to both women and how they must mean something to each other and I did not see the connection coming.
I really enjoyed this book and would really recommend this book it's a fantastic read.