I Looked Away

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jul 2019

I Looked Away by Jane Corry

Another brilliant book from Jane Corry. Engaging and compelling from the very first page. The complex characters revealed themselves as believable human beings, each with their own agendas, motives and traits. The mental anguish experienced by the two main protagonists was thought-provoking and finely written, taking the reader on a rollercoaster ride of emotions right through to the final page. The ending was both surprising and superb. No spoilers but, if you are a fan of Corry's previous thrillers, this is the best one yet!  A great page-turner. Highly recommended.
Thanks to NetGalley for supplying an advance copy.
(also posted on Amazon)
I love Jane Corry, this book is definitely my favourite of hers so far. I found myself getting so emotional at times that I had to stop and gather myself. Once in a while you'll read a book that will blow you away and stay with you long after you turn the last page. This is that book!
When I saw that this was available I snapped it up super quick and I wasn’t disappointed.
Ellie is in prison and we don’t know why, she’s in a loveless marriage to cheating Roger and has two grown children. Tragedy happens one day while Ellie is watching her grandson and her life spirals out of control from there.
We also meet Jo, a homeless woman who’s life seems to be a million miles away from Ellie’s, but some how they are connected.

A well written story that pulls on your heart strings, great characters and a believable storyline.
Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for letting me review this book.
 A bit complicated but all comes together to give a very fine ending.
I am a big fan of Jane Corry and have read her previous books, I looked Away is amazing and my favourite one by her...so far!

This author has created such an addictive and emotional story that incorporates so many different elements. These have been brilliantly researched and woven together to create a stunning read.

It revolves and evolves around Ellie. Where to even start with this fabulous character... circumstances took her from a happy,  carefree childhood so full of love and happiness that is until her world is totally upended. After a traumatic experience, she finds her life changes, what should be a new start turns sour. She finds herself in situation after situation, at times only barely coping, this is not how childhood should be. She feels lost, continually isolated and inadequate. These feelings over the years are gradually cemented and added to and it doesn't help that she has never come to terms to deal with the grief that her original trauma stems from.

As I mentioned this author deals with some serious elements and she does them exceptionally well. Dealing with PTSD, emotional abuse, mental health and homelessness are definitely serious and often misunderstood. Now given the nature of some of the topics you may think that this book would be a sombre one, in fact, it is far from that. Instead, the author has created a flow and pacing that suits her story so well, it effortlessly flows and is an absolute page-turner. I found myself wanting to get the bottom of what makes Ellie tick, to discover all about her life.

At the end of the book, Jane shares some personal experiences and also a section called "The Science Behind the story", and also an insightful Q & A with Claire Pooley who specialises in trauma and is a psychotherapist and mental health nurse. I found these additions to be so interesting, they add an extras something special to the work that went into the story.

This book is such a good read on so many different levels. It's emotional, poignant, insightful and thought-provoking, along with that I saw a glimpse into a different side of society.

I Looked Away is a book I would Highly Recommend!
Every Monday, 49-year-old Ellie looks after her grandson Josh. She loves him more than anyone else in the world. The only thing that can mar her happiness is her husband's affair. But he swears it's over now, and Ellie has decided to be thankful for what she's got.

Then one day, while she's looking after Josh, her husband gets a call from that woman. And just for a moment, Ellie takes her eyes off her grandson. The accident that happens will change her life forever.

Because Ellie is hiding something in her past.

And what looks like an accident could start to look like murder . .

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It can be confusing as it tells the story of two women Ellie and Jo. I kind of worked out half way through what was going to happen and how it would happen, well part of it anyway. I didn't expect the complexity of it and the last 100 pages of the book had me racing to find out what happened. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did.
‘I Looked Away’, what a great read, it just kept on giving. Just when you thought it was all played out it came together for a great finish. I particularly liked reading about life as a homeless person. It introduced us to a number of other characters, of special note was Steve. Can there really be someone as generous a spirit as him? I’d like to think so. Poor Alastair whose street name was Tim, abused, made another life for himself running away and then was reunited with his mother after three long years.
How can one not feel sorry for Ellie? Losing her mother so early in life and having to endure ‘losing’ her father to a stepmother with some serious issues.
A very imaginative and multi-layered story.
This book follows Ellie from being a young girl right through until she becomes a grandmother. Ellie has not had much luck and she has had to endure some awful things in her life. Ellie loves her grandson, Josh. She takes care of him on a Monday afternoon. Her husband is having an affair. But when Ellie looks away one Monday afternoon, the consequences are dramatic. It brings things from Ellie's past to the fore.

This is one emotional roller coaster ride you won't want to get off. It deals with bullying, danger, homelessness, deception and much much more. The story has a dual timeline which gradually comber gets as we mean the end of the book. This is a fantastic read that's gripping and will make you think how other people have to cope day to day. The characters are realistic and believable.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Penguin Books (UK) and the author Jane Corry for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Well, this book took me round the houses and back again as it weaved around and about. We first meet Ellie in prison but it isn't explained why she is there. We then flash back to a day in her past where she is distracted whilst looking after her grandson with devastating consequences. We then meet Jo, a homeless woman who is making ends meet by selling the big issue. Quite what the connection there is, well, you'll have to read the book to find that out. No spoilers here. Back with Ellie and we follow her both in prison and also back in her past. Back to her childhood, the death of her mother, the addition of step-mother and then step-brother and we see the events that shaped the person she is today. The stories of Ellie and Jo meander around each other - back and forward in time - until finally all the layers have been peeled back and the full picture starts to emerge and the truth becomes apparent. A truth that, oh my, just tugged on my heartstrings as the pieces fell into place.
I can't go into any more detail here without the dreaded spoilers but I have to say that, as well as being extremely well crafted and written, the story flows incredibly well even with all the flitting around; both between characters and in time. Characterisation is good and the majority are easy to connect to / emote with, and the pacing is darned near perfect. Enough information was imparted to keep my interest with enough withheld to keep me intrigued and make me read on.
It's a book that is best off reading without knowing anything. A book that you just have to take everything, all the way through, at face value. It's hard to explain without spoilers but I have to say that I have never been so wrong about what I thought was going to happen and yet it felt so right... and I was left completely satisfied. Apart from the urge to go back and re-read the whole thing - if only time permitted...
My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
I was hooked from the start. There are a number of stories entwining throughout but you need to keep reading to understand  how and why they are all linked.

This is a well written story with believable characters covering some poignant topics, that kept me gripped from start to finish. There were some twist and turns that kept me thinking and questioning everything I’d read. But I definitely didn’t see the big twist coming.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Books UK for and early copy.
The story starts with Ellie, trying to rebuild her marriage after husband Roger’s affair. All is going well until she meets her husband’s ex in town and starts to doubt his commitment. She returns home to confront him, leaving grandson Josh alone in the garden. Turning around, Ellie realises he’s missing, only to see a shirt floating in next door’s pond.

The narrative then splits into two separate tales - Ellie’s childhood and; homeless Jo travelling round the South of England. Interspersed in Ellie’s life are references to ‘the accident’. I did find the different timelines difficult to follow as they were so disparate, however as the story reached its climax, all became clear and I could understand why it was laid out the way it was. Ellie’s childhood tragedies and current troubles linked together and Jo’s tale made sense.

I thoroughly enjoyed the overall story, confusions aside, and felt it was believable and realistic.  The setting descriptions of Jo’s travels were really good and brought the areas to life. Ellie’s struggles through childhood were sensitively described without going overboard, and sympathies were definitely with her.

A really good read and one I thoroughly recommend.
This was my first read by Jane Corry though I have had 'Blood Sisters' and 'The Killing Type' on my e-reader for some time. I was certainly not disappointed with "I Looked Away"!

This was a very emotional story that touched on mental health, loss and despair. It was really well written and totally believable. I was pulled instantly into the very clever storyline and loved every twist and turn. I really appreciated this totally outstanding, seriously addictive psychological thriller. Highly recommended and definitely a five-star read.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Penguin Books UK via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I always enjoy a Jane Corry book and this one was no exception.  Taut, tight drama on every page, I did work out the storyline from early on, but that didn’t spoil the book for me.

Many thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book which I’ve voluntarily read and left my review for.
A really emotive thought provoking book told from the perspective of past and present....slightly confusing but it all ties up eventually. It is a bit slow but stick with it! Really good read
Took me a little while to get into who was who but the pace picked up as the storyline progressed.  It had enough twists and turns to keep me enthralled. This book tackles relevant issues that are current in this day and age. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it. Would definitely read her next novel
I did not enjoy this book at all, the synopsis was intriguing initially but after having read a few chapters I have given up.

I didn’t enjoy the character’s stories and didn’t care to learn more about them. I found the story of interest to begin with but as soon as it started switching to Jo’s story in Bristol, I switched off.
This was a good one! Kept me up late to read this one. Lots of twists and turns. Also deals with mental illness and childhood traumas well. A great read. #NetGalley#IlookedAway
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were appealing and well written and I felt immersed in the story throughout the book.
I really enjoyed 'I Looked Away' by Jane Correy!

Family life for Grandmother Ellie is not as happy as it at first would appear, so when an accident happens when in charge of her grandson, her resilience is already low and she falls apart at the seams. From here we follow her road to recovery, as life changing consequences weave their way into the book and we backtrack to what really happened.

This had a killer of a plot that built up really well around the subjects of mental illness, infidelity and homelessness. I really couldn't work out what the connection was between the doting grandma and the homeless woman called Jo. All I can say is that when the penny dropped I was suitably impressed.

Well plotted, thought provoking and emotional!
An excellent book. I loved the parallel storylines which alternated chapter by chapter but I never could have predicted how they came together! A really clever story which gives a valuable insight into a very serious mental health condition. Highly recommended!