Victoria

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Who doesn't like to read about Queen and Kings,kingdoms and the likes where a woman runs a country! Such a great story of this little girl became Queen fell in love had her own family and rules a country! Having  be so many things to do many people. Well written and apart of wonderful history. Love English history! Just read book th Net Galley!
Thank you to NetGalley for providing this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I'm quite torn on this biography of Victoria. It does give the reader a solid understanding of Victoria's personal life from her birth until her death. However, it is a reprint of a 1987 biography, and it does show- it doesn't feel like it has kept up with current work in the field. It might work for someone new to Victoria entirely, but I would say that it needs some updates.
The year 2019 marks the bicentenary of Queen Victoria, and although plenty of new books are being released for the occasion, there is also a steady stream of books being reprinted; like Victoria, Portrait of a Queen, which was first published in 2015.

Victoria was born on 24 May 1819 at Kensington Palace in London as the only child of Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn. When her uncle King William IV came to the throne in 1830, Victoria was his heiress presumptive. Victoria grew up at Kensington Palace, under the so-called Kensington System. Victoria's accession on 20 June 1837 broke the personal union with the Kingdom of Hanover, which was under Salic law, preventing her from becoming Hanover's Queen. Instead, her uncle became Ernest Augustus I of Hanover.

In her early reign, she was quite popular, though her reputation suffered when she believed the rumours of her mother's lady-in-waiting Lady Flora Hastings' pregnancy. Lady Flora died, and the autopsy revealed a large tumour on her liver that had distended into her abdomen, thus explaining her appearance. Her popularity was revived when she married her first cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in 1840. They would go on to have nine children.

The majority of her reign was blighted by the death of her husband. He died in 1861, possibly of typhoid fever, though his long-term complaints could suggest something else. She dressed in mourning for the rest of her life and even had his clothes laid out every day. Her self-isolation caused her popularity to plummet. By 1872, this had recovered slightly as her son recovered from the same illness that had killed her husband. On 23 September 1896, Victoria surpassed her grandfather George III as the longest-reigning monarch in English, Scottish, and British history, though this record was broken by Queen Elizabeth II last year.

By Christmas 1900, Victoria was rendered lame by rheumatism in her legs, and she had cataracts. By January, she felt weak and unwell. She died on 22 January 1901 at the age of 81. She was succeeded by her eldest son, King Edward VII.

Victoria, Portrait of a Queen by Richard Mullen & James Munson tells Queen Victoria's story, but I had trouble concentrating on the narrative. I've read plenty of biographies on Queen Victoria, but for some reason, I just found this rather boring. The story doesn't bring Queen Victoria to life and seems to drone on and on. I received this as an e-book which also had two pages in one, making the text extremely small and difficult to read (my e-reader does have the option to zoom in, but it makes the whole thing very slow!). Overall, the book is well-researched and factual, but I just wish it had more life.
A new biography on Queen Victoria that seems fresh. I really enjoyed this book and found it well written, while I would have liked a little more detail about some events i would recommend to any book lover
This is a well documented and detailed biography of Queen Victoria.
I was glad to read, not only an interpretation of the sources used, but also quotes from diaries, letters, telegrams and other sources written by all kinds of people. Being able to  access so many types of sources, the author gives you the opportunity to create a complex image about the Queen.
Another thing that surprised me was to find out how active she was even in the period of widowhood when it is said that she has retired from public life.
The author is honest about all the parts of her life: her great love for Prince Albert, her long grief after his death, about her friendship with John Brown and Munshi, about her wish to write her memories, even not everyone was happy about it.
Thank you NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read a copy of this book in exchange of a honest review.
This is a highly readable biography of Queen Victoria.  It has a picture of Queen Victoria smiling in her older years when most photos make her seem very somber.

This book views Queen Victoria's reign in a very positive light.   For example, the book portrays her as being sympathetic to the problems of ordinary people and the lower classes; I have read other places that she was not concerned about the lower classes.

The book focuses on her influence in foreign affairs more than domestic policy.   Much of what happened in England during her reign is not mentioned in the book probably because one book can only handle so much information..

I found her early life more interesting than her later years; also, one can understand that after many royal scandals the British might like a ruler that is super-respectable.

I could see the influence of Queen Victoria on the Queen Elizabeth.   However, Queen Victoria was able to be involved in partisan political activity which is totally banned now for the royalty.   As an American reader, I wondered how the British monarchy became more limited in power as well as being curious about how much authority Queen Victoria had as a constitutional monarch in the nineteenth century.

If someone is looking for a highly readable introductory biography of Queen Victoria I would recommend this book.
I loved this book! This book gave a lot of insight into Victoria and her family. I have read a lot of biographies on Victoria but this gave me all new information and it read so well!
This biography of Queen Victoria was originally published in 1987. In 8 chapters  the writer follows Victoria’s life chronologically. It is written more for a general public who wants to know more about this famous long reigning queen. It shows some insights into Victoria’s character thus explaining why she made some decisions the way she did. The book brings only some political contentious decisions or context and also smoothes over some of the scandals. Nevertheless , it brings the queen closer , gives some insight into her personality as well as the context of her time. It is well written and with some illustrations, was  easy to read. I would definitely recommend it for any reader who wants to gain some more background knowledge..
I have read many biographies of Queen Victoria and studied her extensively. While this biography is short, there is nothing new. The material is a rehash that was already covered by other historians. This is biography is also a general one and does not provide an in-depth study to her character. Still, I recommend this for those who do not know much about Queen Victoria.
A very readable take on Queen Victoria's life. A good place to start for someone who has watched the PBS series and wants to know more about England's second longest reigning Queen, the "Grandmother of Europe."
I had just finished watching the film on this Queen and getting this book was just the right moment.

It gave me a further insight into what the young Queen had to face not just from her country, but from her own mother, her uncles and then her husband.

The biography was meticulously detailed. The commentary was succinct and precise. It reflected on Victoria herself. She seemed to be a passionate woman - one with a passion for her husband and then for her country. She was determined to do well by her country, and had to fight the obstacles than men within her circle (including her husband) threw in her way. Most men of the time just thought that she was a Queen in name, lording it over a nursery and a large one at that and happy to be satisfied within that circle. Victoria was far from that. She threw herself into every act of government being partisan to some (the Queen was expected to be above party politics) but she knew her own mind and had no inhibitions about it.

This was a wonderful read of a life of 81 years set out meticulously in a book.
A good fresh look at the life of Queen Victoria. If you enjoy Royal History then here is the book for you.
Thank you to both NetGalley and Thistle Publishing for my eARC in exchange for my honest unbiased review
I actually selected this book because I have been viewing the PBS Masterpiece Theater series on Victoria and I was very pleased to find out that TV presentation had been most faithful to true history of Queen Victoria and her long reign.
After watching all the TV episodes of Victoria, the movies, it was refreshing to read a well documented interesting biography. I actually preferred the truth instead of the fictional accounts. The authors have prepared a well documented timeline of Victoria's life and reign. I did occasionally question whether the authors were being a bit too kind though in their assessment of Victoria's character. She reigned during genocide in Ireland and evil times in India but I accept the bulk of documentation was Victoria's own writing that was later censored by her daughter.
I received an ebook copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A primer on the life and times of Queen Victoria. It's an interesting read, although not a perfect one. It's a very polite biography, which is eager to avoid mentions of scandals  - or, at least, to do its best to explain them away.

There is also the fact that it is a reprint of a 1987 biography and it shows - in the approach to the subject and in state of knowledge. Frankly, some updates would have done this book a world of good (for example, the authors write that one person had a "retarded" child [sic!!!], which is so wrong on so many levels). So this is definitely not the final word on Queen Victoria.
4 stars

This is a very good book about the life and times of Queen Victoria of England. It takes the reader from her birth until her death at the age of eighty-one. She was the longest reigning monarch of England at that time.

It describes her marriage to Prince Albert (“Bertie”), their great love for one another and her many children. (She gave birth to nine children and all survived. An unusual feat for that time in history.) Mr. Mullen and Mr. Munson describe very well the England of the time, as well as discussing Europe and its politics, especially the connections to the royal family, their personalities and the reigns of the various kings and queens there.

The book talks about Prince Albert's interest in politics and his increasing attraction toward and participation in those sorts of activities.

But perhaps the greatest thing to take away from this novel is the enduring love that Victoria and Bertie had for one another. It was both heartwarming and wonderful to read about.

The book is very well written in a logical progression from Victoria's birth and throughout her life. The descriptions may be a little dry for some readers, but as I find history fascinating, it was fine for me. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history and especially reading about the Victorian era.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Thistle Publishing for forwarding to me a copy of this interesting picture of historical Victoria to read, enjoy and review.
While this brief biography doesn't have anything new or unique for people who have read other, more in-depth biographies on Victoria, it would be a good start for people just beginning to learn about the queen and her reign.
Very informative and still entertaining. Indepth and an enjoyable read. I would recommend this to any student of history or biographies. Some interesting facts that i had not read about in other Queen Victoria bios.

I received this book free as an ARC from the publisher through netgalley.
I'm a huge fan of English history and particularly I love the time period of quen Victoria and I feel like shes so amazing and unique!.
Also this book made me want to pick up again the show of Victoria so thank you
The author's painstaking research and attention to detail is obvious in the writing of this book.  There were many facts that I only discovered after reading this!