The Dead Girl's Stilettos

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

Fun, interesting read.  I liked Bexley as a character.  I had a feeling right from the start who the killer was.  So the story just confirmed it.  It was also the typical I like two men, oh, which should I choose, but still enjoyable.  Thanks to netgalley
The book starts with the murder of a young woman on a yacht. The woman is naked and wearing a pair of expensive gold stilettos when a young couple find her washed up on the shore, take the shoes then report their find of her to the police anonymously.

A celebrity, Dean Halliwell is accused of her murder and enlists Bexley Squires a journalist who had written an article that had brought another person to justice to help him prove his innocence. She has little money left from the article and is offered a great deal of money. To add to the story her Sister Cineste is missing after an incident. Bex wants to help finance finding her Sister so agrees to fly to meet the celebrity and discuss the job. Dean convinces her he is innocent and she takes the job.

There are multiple twist and turns. Lots of different characters and relationships that lead Bex to friends, foe and romance.

Who can she trust? Who murdered the girl? Where is her Sister?

A mystery thriller that isn’t hard to read but may keep you guessing until the end.
I really love the title and thought by the blurb that this book would be something I would really enjoy. It had a decent mystery but really seemed more like a romantic thriller with a bit of a love triangle (and I really hate those.) It wasn't horrible, but it just want my cup of tea.

*Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.*
I loved this book! Thank you for allowing me to pretend it. I could not put it down. I will be purchasing it to reread on a rainy day.
A nice quick mystery involving romance, murder and a beach town! I can't wait for more in this series!
Quinn Avery debut novel is a must read story. The Dead Girl's Stiletto is a fast easy to read mystery that will have readers loving the fearless female lead Bexley Squires. The author creates a story with well placed twist that might have some readers questioning what they think they know.

The story is equal parts the first few novels from Janet Evanovich Stephen Plum and mix of several other authors who have the ability to bring a dark side of mysteries to life with fun, adventures and yes possible romance.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advance copy of Quinn Avery The Dead Girl's Stilettos
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book because it sounded like a fun mystery. I read a review comparing it to the Stephanie Plum series. I had to give up on that series because it got so bad and I was hoping this would have the humor that series had when it was good. I didn't really find this book to be that funny. It was really just a quick light mystery that passed the time on a plane. It was fine for what it was I just may have been expecting something different. I would perhaps consider picking up the next in the series.
My first from NetGalley.  I enjoyed how the book was set into multiple parts one from Bex’s point of view, one from her sister’s and then back to Bex’s. I enjoyed the fast pace the beautifully described scenery and look forward to this author’s next book!

Posted on goodreads and amazon 5 stars!
Not going to lie, the title drew me in. Very clever and catchy. This was a slower suspense for me. I found it harder to keep my interest which means I read it over a longer period of time then I would’ve liked to keep details fresh. Some things came too easy and cleaned up too tidy but perhaps that’s how it is with the rich and famous?
Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for this early copy.

I recommend checking out this murder mystery if you enjoy genre, this was a a solid read.
A playground for the rich and famous, a murdered Jane Doe, and a beloved celebrity. Journalist Bexley Squires might be out of her league when she’s asked to solve one of the nation’s most infamous unsolved mysteries.

She’s broke and desperate for the means to find her sister after her disappearance, and the world’s sexiest actor will pay generously to save his reputation. Only she didn’t expect the detective in charge of the case to be her old crush, Grayson Rivers. As tampering witnesses and stolen evidence come to light, Bexley’s network of old and new friends gets sucked into the undertow. If she can’t uncover the secret behind the victim’s footwear, the next wave will kill them all.

This was an excellent first book to a series! It was definitely a fast paced thriller, but it did start off a little bit slower for my liking. Overall though, a really great book! I can't wait for book 2.

Thank you #NetGalley for the ARC of #TheDeadGirlsStilettos
Pub Date: 02 Apr 2019
This just didn’t do anything for me. I read the first 50 pages but had to put it down. The plot wasn’t unique and it was very predictable. The characters were stale and the narration was flat.
I have to admit, it's the title that drew me to the book. I'm glad I requested it though because it's a fast-paced mystery story that I read in a day. The lead character is a hilarious and strong woman named Bexley Squires. She's an amateur detective who is offered a lot of money to clear the name of a celebrity who has been linked to the murder of a young woman. This puts her life in danger. Bexley is surrounding by some fun, interesting characters throughout the story. The ending is fantastic!

This is the beginning of a new series it seems so it looks like there will be a sequel, but there are no cliffhangers in this book. Everything is tied up with no loose ends. There are just possibilities for the more with the characters to expand the story. I hope the amazing supporting characters follow her from book to book. That would be amazing! I thought the story was well written and pulled you in from the very beginning. Several times I thought I had it all figured out, but then I was proven wrong. Quinn Avery is a master storyteller! I highly recommend this book! Another reviewer likened the book to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and I have to say I agree. It has the same charm and whit.

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
The stilettos of the title are gold with diamond heels and are the main clue that Bex Squires has to solve the case and exonerate the man who's hired her, Dean Halliwell. She's still got a bit of name recognition from her last investigative report that garnered her national attention but her funds are running low when she gets a call to help mega-star Dean in her tony, old home town of Papaya Springs, CA. This is right up her alley as she also wants to track down her troubled, missing younger sister, Cineste.

The set up is good but after Bex meets Dean and gets the details he has for her to begin investigating the momentum of the mystery slows. She runs into Grayson, her high school crush and now, a detective at the Papaya Springs PD. She's attracted to both men and this is where the book started to feel more like romantic suspense and not mainly a mystery. For much of part one of the book, there's a lot of exposition and while things do happen (some on the more extreme end) that are relevant to the actual case, I didn't feel the urgency as a reader. Bex is caught up trying to decide who to trust, which guy she's more attracted to (which shouldn't even be a problem here because one is literally employing her & maintenance of her investigative integrity should be a thing) and who's lying and why. These held varying levels of interest to me and if I'm honest, once Bex missed a really big thing early on that screamed out to me, I had even less interest in reading about her "torn between two hot guys" angst.

As an avid mystery reader, many of the revelations nor the resolution surprised me but I think those things would work well for those who aren't so mystery obsessed. Also, for those who enjoy a bit of romantic angst in their reads, this has got them covered. While I did think it had some usual first-in-a-series foibles, I found that by the end I was still interested enough that I'd read another of Bex's investigations. She had experiences that lead me to believe she's learned (I completely agreed with her self assessments in the final chapter) and will grow and I want to see her get into the private investigations business.

Many thanks to the publisher for the advanced reader copy.
A quick read with some good twists! The Dead Girl’s Stilettos was a 3.5 out of 5 stars for me. It was a bit of a slow start, not holding my attention, but picked up at around 40% per my kindle. I think it was missing some depth and things seemed to happen very conveniently for the protagonist. However; by the last half of the book I was glued in until the end!  I definitely kept thinking I had everything figured out and then something would happen to make me second guess myself. This was a major theme for me throughout the book. Thank you Netgalley and the publisher Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Op for the opportunity to read and review this book!
Thank you for letting me read this book. I admit that the title is what caught my attention first but I am glad that I requested it. The book is a quick read with some very interesting characters. The mystery is really good as is the ending. It's obvious that this will be a series or at least a sequel that I will definitely look forward to reading some time in the future.
Great book will be reading other books by this author.
Will also recommend this book to others.
Great read! 5***
The Dead Girl's Stilettos by Quinn Avery is a fast-paced mystery with a fearless and funny woman leading the way! Bexley Squires, an amateur detective, is offered a good chunk of change to help clear the name of a hot celebrity after he's rumored to be linked to the murder of a young woman. How could anyone say no to that?! But she soon finds her investigation has rocked the boat and her life is now in danger. A fantastic FIRST book in a series. I can't wait for more!
A gripping and intense read. I was very excited to start this one since the blurb had fascinated me.

It was an easy book to read, the characters were interesting and I wanted to know more about them, the more the story went on.
I would recommend this book to my friends!
I absolutely devoured this book! I loved all the twists and turns, it defintiely kept me on the edge of my seat. This was my first Quinn Avery book and it definitely will not be my last!